Print Thread
#752187 19/01/21 05:13 AM
O
OcO Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O
Posting on the official boards, Steam and Reddit.

I have seen multiple posts on this subject in multiple different threads and wanted to clear this up since many seem not to know.

Neither long nor short rests affect the passage of time and the game continually tracks the time as you play. Yes I know that when you click on Long Rest it asks if you want to go to your camp and end the day...the thing is it isn't actually ending the day and this is easy to test.

Open your journal(default "L" key). Along the top of the screen is the icons for equipment, character sheet, inventory, spellbook and etc. Right below that row of icons is a 2nd row of 3 icons. From left to right they are...Quests...Dialogue...Tutorials. Click on the Dialogue icon and you will see the current day listed on the left hand side of the screen with a timestamp for each npc you talk to. The time of day is listed in 24 hour military time. Test this yourself by talking to someone and looking at the latest log for that day and see what time it is. Then walk to a different npc and talk to them and look again. You will see that the time is updated a few minutes and listed for the new npc you just talked to.

Doing the above you can quickly and easily test both short and long rests for the passage of time. Talk to an npc and note the time...hit short rest...talk to the next npc and note the time, it will still only be a minute or 2 later according to the timestamp and the exact same thing happens if you long rest. Talk to an npc...hit long rest...immediately sleep to end the day...wake up back where you were and speak to another npc and the Dialogue will show you still on the same day and just minutes after your last conversation with the other npc.

Now it should be noted that there are some situations where the passing of time matters. Off the top of my head(there may be more) I know of at least 3 situations that will play themselves out if activated and not dealt with. The mindflayer and the fisherman on the beach, the girl and the snake in the Druid Grove, and the True Soul Edowin encounters can all play themselves out if you trigger them and leave it till later. For example in the Edowin encounter if you get close enough to trigger the companion dialogue about people ahead and the game autosaves, then you turn around and leave, after a certain amount of time(I've not tested any of these for the exact time limits) when you return Edowin will be dead and his 2 companions gone. For the girl and the snake, my first run I went in and saw everyone there but just decided to leave without talking to them. As I was out and about Wyll actually commented to me about time running out for the girl or some such(I do not remember exactly what he said) and after more time passed it played out(I believe she automatically dies if you don't do anything but I honestly don't remember cause this was right when EA was released).

Hopefully this will clear up some confusion for people.

Also Volo leaves if you goto druid camp, and leave without going to inner grove. You also miss a few conversations with followers if you long rest before meeting them. and a few others that Im too lazy to list lol

E
addict
addict
E
Even more reason for them to implement a proper clock/calendar on the UI and day/night cycle...like most decent CRPGs have had for the last 20 years. Such a daft decision not to include a clock when the main premise of the story is based on a time limit to remove the tadpole in your head.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I just triggered the Edowin scene, camped right there, and when I came back, he was dead and his siblings gone.

So at least sometimes, one long rest is sufficient to advance time.

Originally Posted by Starsmith
I just triggered the Edowin scene, camped right there, and when I came back, he was dead and his siblings gone.

So at least sometimes, one long rest is sufficient to advance time.

Haha, yeah, "sometimes" time advances 😁

I dislike this design so much! I know they will not change it, but this - at least for me - is the biggest drawback of the game.

veteran
veteran
Basically, most world map events have a 'Did you do it?' flag. They activate when they are loaded in for the first time, and usually notified by an auto-save. If you then leave the area enough to load a different zone, go through a transition, or just plain go far enough away to unload them again, then that turns that flag into "nope, you didn't!", and the event goes to its default end state. Time passed has literally nothing to do with this, unfortunately.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
Basically, most world map events have a 'Did you do it?' flag. They activate when they are loaded in for the first time, and usually notified by an auto-save. If you then leave the area enough to load a different zone, go through a transition, or just plain go far enough away to unload them again, then that turns that flag into "nope, you didn't!", and the event goes to its default end state. Time passed has literally nothing to do with this, unfortunately.
I am happy it works this way. I would hate to miss quests in unexplored areas because time passed while exploring a different area first.

Originally Posted by Icelyn
I am happy it works this way. I would hate to miss quests in unexplored areas because time passed while exploring a different area first.

Thanks Niara for clarifying how it works!

@Icelyn:
I needn't be that way.

P:K did this to quite some extent, but I just love to have a morning (along with the light & so on), day, evening and night were it's dark. And also the occasional rain or thunder storm.

And I would love to have a journal, where I see how much time has passed in the world the game is set in.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by daMichi
And I would love to have a journal, where I see how much time has passed in the world the game is set in.

We have a journal with days and dialogs.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
Originally Posted by Icelyn

Thanks Niara for clarifying how it works!

@Icelyn:
I needn't be that way.

P:K did this to quite some extent, but I just love to have a morning (along with the light & so on), day, evening and night were it's dark. And also the occasional rain or thunder storm.

Having day and night cycle in particular would help make the Lae'zel and Astarion scenes about the night sky stand out a bit more - maybe having a cut to the Moon and the Tears of Selune. I'd also love a little rain and thunder here and there too.

O
OcO Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
O

Ty Niara I'm going to add this info to my threads on Steam and Reddit for clarity.

apprentice
apprentice

Definitely this is how it works but I think there are some points/flags in the game that go back and check to see if you've done previous events regardless of whether or not you've activated them and then progresses the "plot" along accordingly. IIRC if you get far enough along in the plot without ever getting close to the "Trapped Lae'zel" encounter she'll free herself and all you'll come across is a broken trap. Similarly Halsin will trudge up after the Grove battle if you complete it without ever having entered his cell area.

addict
addict
They really need to implement D/N cycle.

I loved how Disco Elysium did where time stops at 2 AM and only goes to the other day when you decide to sleep. That way you have control of time.

Originally Posted by Nyloth

We have a journal with days and dialogs.

Yes, but if I just stand around at the beach, do nothing and hit the long rest button again and again, it doesn't necessarily increase the day count.

I would like to have in-game time passing as in BG 1&2, the Witcher 3, P:K, Zelda: BotW, or GTA, for that matter.

And then be able to see Journal entries about my adventures, when they occured, how much time has passed, or just see that it's now the 19th day of Alturiak, for example. It just helps to make the world feel a little bit more alive.
And as far as I am concerned, it's such small details, that if they get a little bit of attention and love, tremendously increase the overall feel and perception of a game. If such things are neglected, a game just feels like all the other mediocre games out there.

And I think Larian wants to make a game that stands out of the crowd. But right now I sadly don't have much hope left that they are on the right track.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard