Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#752432 21/01/21 02:31 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Do we know if we are getting more subclasses for the sorcerer? Larian Studios did say that they will be using Xanathar's Guide to Everything which has two subclasses for the sorcerer like the shadow sorcerer and the divine soul sorcerer which are more to my likening I have no desire to play as a wild sorcerer or a draconic sorcerer I do understand that we will not be getting any stuff from Tasha's Cauldron Of Everything but from my point of view I don't see a reason to play as a sorcerer if we are only getting the wild and draconic subclasses in BG3 which is a pity because it's one of my favourite classes in D&D

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/107

Here ya go, until it they figure it out officially. Class includes divine soul, shadow, and aberrant mind

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/162
Tasha's ability scores.

Last edited by T2aV; 21/01/21 02:41 AM.
G
addict
addict
G
It will be EXTREMELY hard for them to implement Wild Magic anyway. The best thing for them to do is to at least implement Divine Soul. Sorcerer will only have 2 option if you only go by PHB and Wild Magic won't be authentic, so...

enthusiast
enthusiast
I really hope Larian stands by their promise to implement all the player handbook's subclasses.

Wild Mage is my all time fav DnD subclass. I also don't think it would that hard to implement. The game would role every time you cast a spell of at least 1st level (cantrips cannot surge), so you have 5% chance to trigger a wild surge every time you cast spells.

Also, the 5e wild magic chart is not that outrageous to interpret into a pc game, with some modest altering.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by T2aV
https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/107

Here ya go, until it they figure it out officially. Class includes divine soul, shadow, and aberrant mind

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/162
Tasha's ability scores.
Thanks but I will wait until BG3 comes out fully first before I start to mod it

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by gaymer
It will be EXTREMELY hard for them to implement Wild Magic anyway. The best thing for them to do is to at least implement Divine Soul. Sorcerer will only have 2 option if you only go by PHB and Wild Magic won't be authentic, so...
I can image just how hard it is to get the wild magic sorcerer right it would have been much easer to just add in divine soul sorcerer and shadow sorcerer then going for the wild magic sorcerer it has a really long wild magic surge table like turning your hair pink to casting a fireball on yourself

M
M
Related to wild magic sorcerer: i would not be surprised if they implement the wild magic surge table to some extent (i can for example imagine you can incidentally change your hair colour for the rest of the game or more temporarily cast the attack spell to yourself instead of the enemy). Larian typically likes crazy, never-before-introduced-this-way things, they consider these as a challenge and usually once a crazy feature is implemented (like turning somebody into a chicken ala DOS2) it can be advertised better as a unique feature.
This is actually one thing I like in Larian, they are not afraid to try out things people dont expect them to do. Maybe sometimes its a miss, but if it turns out great, they created something unique.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I have seen a video of a person datamining BG3 on YouTube and one of the abilities is shadow step which is used by shadow monks and shadow sorcerers so we might be getting the shadow sorcerer and the shadow monk in BG3 I am not saying for sure we will get both of them but still it's better than nothing here is the video the shadow step ability is at 14:22 of the video warning it does have spoilers about the other classes in it so if you don't wanted to be spoiled don't watch it

enthusiast
enthusiast
I totally agree with you, mate. Wild Magic is such a mood. I don't think Larian would miss the opportunity for the craziness involved.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Looking at http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/sorcerer:wild-magic, the wild surge table doesn't have anything that's super hard to implement. Switch couple with something else inventive and should be relatively simple, just takes some work.

Last edited by Bercon; 23/01/21 01:55 PM.
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Originally Posted by Bercon
Looking at http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/sorcerer:wild-magic, the wild surge table doesn't have anything that's super hard to implement. Switch couple with something else inventive and should be relatively simple, just takes some work.

Nothing super hard, but there's a load of special cases, some modelling and animation and an interface for the whole system including possibly rerolling if the game gets to level 14. They could probably implement an extra subclass for every class, three more subclasses for Sorceror and two new races in the time it would take to implement that table in its entirety. It would make far more sense to adjust every part of the table that doesn't generate an effect produced elsewhere. Or add an alternative subclass that's easier to implement and likely to be more popular.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Shameless plug in: since we are asking for subclasses can I have rune knight, samurai, kensai, and maybe bladesinger.

Also +1 for divine soul and while i'm at it add Aasimar so we can balance out the overwhelming teethling presence in fey run.

Seriously I want those. Lol.

Originally Posted by Rack
Originally Posted by Bercon

Nothing super hard, but there's a load of special cases, some modelling and animation and an interface for the whole system including possibly rerolling if the game gets to level 14. They could probably implement an extra subclass for every class, three more subclasses for Sorceror and two new races in the time it would take to implement that table in its entirety. It would make far more sense to adjust every part of the table that doesn't generate an effect produced elsewhere. Or add an alternative subclass that's easier to implement and likely to be more popular.

I am not so sure, if the table would require so much work. Apart from certain spells, e.g. Fireball, most stuff is already in the game.

Sure, something like "You can't speak for the next minute. Whenever you try, pink bubbles float out of your mouth" needs extra work, and if they deem that as to much work, it will not hurt much, if the change it a little bit for something similar, e.g. you grow a pink beard (that is something that would already be in the game).

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Aishaddai
Shameless plug in: since we are asking for subclasses can I have rune knight, samurai, kensai, and maybe bladesinger.

Also +1 for divine soul and while i'm at it add Aasimar so we can balance out the overwhelming teethling presence in fey run.

Seriously I want those. Lol.
I am with you on the Bladesinger it would not be that hard for Larian Studios to make this happen the changes to the Bladesinger in Tasha's Cauldron Of Everything was not even a big change to this subclass

D
addict
addict
D
Does anybody have a link to the place where Larian said they were planning to use Xanathars? Not doubting it... I'd just like to see the context.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
01-02 Minor feature but still needs a little bit of coding to call this again and flag it so it doesn't retrigger itself.
05-06 Requires Larian to model Modrons. If they aren't in the game that's already approaching the amount of work needed to add a new race.
11-12 Requires Larian to code in the ability to change height. Could just grow or shrink the model but still that might cause bugs and would require some special coding.
15-16 Requires coding a new spell. Not hard at all, very simple but it's a similar amount of work to an average sub-class feature.
17-18 Pink beard made of feathers. Even if you just go with a pink beard you need to code in the ability for it to grow spontaneously. Do all models have beards? If not again more coding, more modelling.

And so on. It's death by a thousand cuts. Divine Soul requires like 2 new abilities, 3 if you can get to 14th level. Pyromancy is the same only the abilities are even easier to add in. I'm not predicting Wild Magic isn't making it in nor saying it shouldn't just that it's quite a lot tougher than a lot of competing sub-classes.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard