Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 32 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 31 32
D
stranger
stranger
D
Hello !

I'll share some feedback and suggestion regarding camping and resting. I played the EA at the start a bit then only Patch 5 (30hours) after that, so I could see the leaps of improvements.

First part about the camp itself
-I may not have met the character, but a trader at the camp would be nice. I have plenty of wares I just don't sell because it is a hassle to get your wares from the stash and then go to a trader. The camp would be a perfect time for that. They don't need to be there each time, which would make trading with them an opportunity more than guaranteed service.

About food. This is a great addition from patch 5. There many things that could improve on the principle
-Perks for the following day. Depending on the food you choose, you get related perks such as (extra spell slot, extra HP, extra what have you). It could depend also on the characters. Limited Status ailments could also be fun (hangover until next short rest if you just had wine for instance).
-It has been said multiple times, but food stored in cache should be available in the camp selection.
-Kitchen ware (plates, forks, pots, etc.) could be collected and used for the camp to increase food perks.
-Seeing characters eat food together would create a sense of bonding between them I believe. Reacting to what is eaten would be very fun (Astarion in front of juicy meat or just vegetables)... At least seing the cooked food would be very fun.

veteran
veteran
I don't mind not having a trader at camp. Most people wouldn't when adventuring. If item management was better, going to the druid grove wouldn't be that much of a pain.

As for the extra food mechanics, I think it might be too much; too complicated. It's not that I think your ideas wouldn't create extra flavor to the mechanics, pun intended. I just think it's too complicated for most people's tastes. As it is, there are a lot of people resisting the food mechanics and saying it's too much realism and it slows the game down and they hate it. Making it more complicated would only make more people scream, I think.

I also am not sure the buffs and debuffs would work well too. The cutscene of them eating together might be fun, but again I think it might annoy too many. I, personally, like any cutscene showing the party doing things together. Makes them feel more like a team.

veteran
veteran
At camp you can sell stuff to either Volo or skeleton. smile

Last edited by Icelyn; 26/07/21 04:51 AM.
veteran
veteran
I thought Barcus Wroot, the Deep Gnome you rescue from goblins, would make a cool camp merchant. Perhaps he still will reappear later, would be odd not to see him again after the event.

The skeleton hanging around at your camp as a vendor is just too camp. All mystery surrounding him after he spookily rose from the crypt... gone. It's a freaking OOC convenience feature. And he doesn't sell anything that wasn't already available from other merchants or temples or whatever. Please, just rather put it in the difficulty settings that PC's can't die and remove this camp skeleton from the camp if you're planning to do something plot related with him. Casual undead characters belong in DOS rather than Forgotten Realms where undeath is a more serious concept. Maintain the mystery. I've never needed his services.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by 1varangian
I thought Barcus Wroot, the Deep Gnome you rescue from goblins, would make a cool camp merchant. Perhaps he still will reappear later, would be odd not to see him again after the event.
Im affraid that Swen have some (quite unpleasant if you ask me laugh ) plans with him ...
They are not yet implemented, but it was datamined ...
He get to the Underdark, and will be enslaved by Duergars ... not sure where will his adventure lead next.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by DarkPico
-Perks for the following day. Depending on the food you choose, you get related perks such as (extra spell slot, extra HP, extra what have you). It could depend also on the characters. Limited Status ailments could also be fun (hangover until next short rest if you just had wine for instance).

We definitely need it. Right now, it doesn't make sense to have your inventory completely filled with different types of food if they all do the same thing. Either they differentiate the items in some way, or they reduce their variety.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
The food mechanic slows the game down? This is a strange claim to me. Every party member joins with enough food for a night, so you start the game with almost a week worth of free rests. In the course of just wandering around, I easily acquired enough food that I never had to even use the resources from my party members. I would think that food would speed the game up by discouraging you from resting every single time you use a daily spell.

I think food should be kept simple. I should not ever have to fret about food except in dire circumstances or because a map is specifically designed around the lack of food, just as most of the time players don't have to fret about rations unless it's a specific challenge of the journey they are on. Having food to prevent infinite resting is good, but it should never ruin a game.

Pillars of Eternity Deadfire has about 30 food items each with different properties. You can go find ingredients and prepare your super food if you want (and then likely end up resting again nearly immediately to clear an injury or somesuch and losing all of those bonuses). Most of the time I just end up giving everybody mariner's porridge because it is easy to get. I think putting the idea of rations in the player's head is good. I think having a situation where a player feels like they need to start over or reload an old save because their character is starving to death and can't recharge spell slots is bad. You want food to be enough of a burden that the player thinks "Hmm, I'd better press on because I haven't used enough spells to be worth a whole night of food," but never "I will never be able to feed myself tonight."

veteran
veteran
Again, this is Inventory Management issues, not Camping. The camping mechanics themselves are straightforward and simple. You collect food. You long rest. Click auto-select. Boom. Done. Simple and easy.

The issue is that Inventory is slow and clunky, so sorting food and sending it to camp and so forth is a huge pain because you have to right click on every item separately and Send to Camp or you get weighed down by food, of all things.

But again, this is the same issue we run into with ALL items.

veteran
veteran
If we really have to collect and manage food items, they should use Rations.

A single stackable food item in your inventory instead of 30 different ones. You could see at a glance how many long rests you can do. Larian's inventory UI is hideous, and the billion different food items and myriad worthless collectibles is really weird game design. Who enjoys dealing with all that junk filling your inventory??? How is choosing whether to eat an apple, potato or cheese interesting gameplay?

When the party finds a place with food, they could rest there without expending their rations or perhaps convert different suitable long lasting food items into rations.

Last edited by 1varangian; 15/08/21 01:29 PM.
veteran
veteran
If we really have to collect and manage food items, they should use Rations..
+1 There is no point to having different types of food in the current camping system.
- We can no longer eat food to regain food, which means that having different food that regains different amount of hp is worthless. This is good; please don't bring back eating during combat
- Different foods don't give different effects during long rest. It'd be interesting if the most common food used gave slightly different bonuses. Though i'm not sure this benefit would be worth the hassle of inventory managing the different food types. A better solution is to just use rations, but allow cooking of different meals for different benefits.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
If we really have to collect and manage food items, they should use Rations..
+1 There is no point to having different types of food in the current camping system.
- We can no longer eat food to regain food, which means that having different food that regains different amount of hp is worthless. This is good; please don't bring back eating during combat
- Different foods don't give different effects during long rest. It'd be interesting if the most common food used gave slightly different bonuses. Though i'm not sure this benefit would be worth the hassle of inventory managing the different food types. A better solution is to just use rations, but allow cooking of different meals for different benefits.

What if you want to cook stuff? The DOS crafting system had the option to make different types of food with other foods and also poisoning those foods.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
If we really have to collect and manage food items, they should use Rations.
Have you seen theese? smile
https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/Supply+Pack

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer

What if you want to cook stuff? The DOS crafting system had the option to make different types of food with other foods and also poisoning those foods.
That's what my second point is saying. Right now in BG3 there is no cooking, making the different types of foods useless. BG3 would be better if the type of food used gave a bonus for the next day or if everything was converted to Rations. The current implementation is the worst of both worlds: tedious inventory management with no benefit for different foods.

This could be achieved by my suggestion, where the most common food (>20 units) gives a specific benefit.
Or there could be a cooking component to resting, where you choose food to make certain recipes. Or you could just choose random food and get no benefit.

Last edited by mrfuji3; 15/08/21 07:19 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
A better solution is to just use rations, but allow cooking of different meals for different benefits.
That's actually an interesting idea. Create discoverable cooking recipes (not many, 3-4 would be enough for EA), let them provide a small buff until the next long rest, and spread them all over the game. This way it would be:

• Impossible to stack effects from multiple different recipes, as you can have only one main course per long rest, so the power creep will be minimal;
  • Make Gale slightly less insufferable, as he could bring the first cooking recipe with him (that stew that should have stayed in the family, remember?);
  • Easier to mitigate challenges of starting from level 1. The aforementioned Gale's stew, for example, can add, say, +4 HP till the next long rest. Virtually worthless at higher levels, but very handy when you first meet with him.

Just don't go the PoE way, with its crazy food buffs that are essentially mandatory for some fights, and which have practically unobtainable precursors.

journeyman
journeyman
I posted this suggestion in the other camp supplies thread:
Even with the new system, long rests are effectively unlimited because there is TONS of food in containers everywhere. It isn't fun to click every container to hoard food, but the current system encourages this.

To fix this problem, why not make camp supplies come from combat instead of from containers?
Most supplies should come from looting enemies, not from containers. This would allow you to fine-tune how many encounters there are between long rests. For example, a hard encounter (the Githyanki) might drop 40 supplies, while an easier encounter might only drop 10.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
@polliwagwhirl - That's an interesting idea - camping supplies are way too easy to get and even though I don't long rest often, I certainly could have rested whenever I wanted. I also like the idea of a mobile camping site a la PF:K rather than an entourage who follows you everywhere (we are not royalty...yet wink Of course, this is an emotive issue so whatever suggestions are produced will upset someone. I still remember being shocked in NWN when you could insta-rest everywhere (having coming from BG2). Completely shatters immersion. I have numerous issues with the current quick travel and camping - but I don't want to derail this discussion.

Last edited by booboo; 17/08/21 02:03 PM.
C
apprentice
apprentice
C
I just wanted to chime in and state that I hate the camping system

veteran
veteran
I hate that those camp and mini camp does not exist on the maps.
I like the supply system but I find a bit strange that :
1-39 = half rest
40 = full rest
Why would I use 2-39 rations ?

It would be better if something different happen at 1-10 / 11-20 / 21-30 / 31-39 / 40.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 19/10/21 06:15 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
apprentice
apprentice
I'm enjoying the supply system quite a bit - it gives value and meaning to food, and makes long rest not as easy and effortless as before. The food is too potent right now, and it's almost impossible to run out of supplies, but I'm sure this is a matter of tweaking. I hope the system is here to stay.

veteran
veteran
Same. I think it would also be good to make it so that short rests also require camping supplies. That gives the player a reason to keep camping supplies in their inventory as opposed to just sending them all to camp. Also, then short rests could be limited more by camping supplies then by the two short rest limit. If they tweak the cost of camping supplies per rest, I think it would work out very well.

Short Rest Camp supply cost = 1 per party member per level (4 member party x 4th level = 16 camp supplies)

Long Rest Camp supply cost = 2 per campsite member per level (6 characters at camp x 4th level x 2 = 48 camp supplies)

Page 17 of 32 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard