Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#753463 26/01/21 11:02 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hello there, once again. smile
Im just here from my last gameplay, where i run into really tough figt with Githyanki patrol ... i admit that it was completely my fault, go to fight with them with no spell slots, and only one companion ... well, certainly not best idea i ever had. laugh

BUT!

As i quick loaded as crazy ... yes i admit, that was freaking savescuming, since my last autosave was around an hour back, and i kinda didnt want to scrap it ... so i loaded over, and over, and over ... wit every final death ... often just to see the same guy that killed me with single strike last time, to do exactly the same this time.
But then sudently it came to me, what about if there was a possibility to "replay last round" when your whole party dies.

You know quick loads arent exactly "quick" in this case ... since we can use them litteraly in any situation, game needs reload whole world setting, wich takes quite some time. (Or at least it seems to me that way ...)
But if there was some "last round" save at start of every round ... all the game need to adjust, when loaded, is placement of all characters, any possibly some spellslots ... everything else is the same, wich could really improve loading speed in such situations.

So ... what do you think?

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 26/01/21 11:05 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Banned
Banned
I don't care either way. The idea sounds like a fun gimmick.
Its just when I have a fight I lose, then it was doomed from the start via bad positioning.

If you know what you are running into, winning the battle is almost given.
For example I pray that one of those Githtrashs teleports onto the woodenstructure.
So fun to just push him down for like half of his health. wink
That was delicious.

Knowing what the enemy will most probably do is like 90% of the battle.

addict
addict
Fire Emblem Three Houses has a rewind feature. (to avoid save scumming). It's very well received and would probably be received just as well for Baldur's Gate 3. As long as it is limited and there is a premium on it, it will be good for the game.

In the game, rewind is limited per battle. So Baldur's Gate 3 could allow the players something like 2 rewinds replenished on long rest. OR tie it to inspiration.

So you're saying saving mid-fight is ok, but the load times are too long? So you're suggesting a rewind option without load?

I personally don't mind just saving mid-fight and reloading if I die. But I could see a rewind feature being lore friendly because it sounds like a possible tadpole power.

veteran
veteran
As an aside.... you get an autosave blip when you approach the patrol... so it seems odd that Rag's last loadable file before the fight was an hour before.

old hand
old hand
The ability to rewind time could actually be cool as a higher level thing or such. A game series that has had it as a mechanic in the two most recent titles is fire Emblem, where by using the mechanic you can go back a turn or multiple to try a different tactic.
However, that would pose the problem of immersive implementation and if it is just a universal mechanic it might feel like it cheapens the combat?

addict
addict
I mean, games don't need to be 100 percent immersive wink

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
OH my ...
I sugested replay last round when your party die, so you can do something differently and hope for better outcome, instead of loading whole game ...
You know like create some difficiult terain, instead of damage ... or try to use some CC, instead of damage ... or protect your ranged characters by dakness or fog, instead of damage ... maybe use some potion or scroll you were saving ...

And you started talking about rewinding time, some even every turn. laugh
People please READ ... dont create Prince of Persia out of this ...

Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu
Its just when I have a fight I lose, then it was doomed from the start via bad positioning.
I dont believe that ... unless you die in first round.
There is many possible decision otherwise, some more tactical, some less ... if you decide to sleep one enemy, hold person other enemy, and focus on third enemy ... that round will have entirely different outcome, than when you simply attack them all with simple attack.

Originally Posted by Niara
As an aside.... you get an autosave blip when you approach the patrol... so it seems odd that Rag's last loadable file before the fight was an hour before.
Well i just didnt (double checked again right now), when that become crime feel free to report me to autorities. -_-
But this topic is not about missing autosaves, so please lets focus on actual subject.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 27/01/21 08:39 AM.

addict
addict
There isn't much difference between a restart and a rewind.

Restart: the developer chooses where the battle goes back to (i.e. Metal Gear Solid, Persona 4,5)

Rewind: the player chooses where the battle goes back to (i.e. Fire Emblem: Three Houses)

I think it's good to side on player choice with how combat flows in the game.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
For some unknown reason you keep ignoring half of it. :-/
There certainy is difference between restarting one round after condition "everyone is dead" is checked ... and rewinding anytime you want. :-/

Honestly i dont even care if that will be last round, or whole fight ...
I just want to reload faster, when my party die.

As i described abowe, i was savescuming one turn, ... and it was:
looooooooooooooooooooooading > hit - dead > looooooooooooooooooooooading > hit - dead > looooooooooooooooooooooading > hit - dead > looooooooooooooooooooooading > hit - dead > looooooooooooooooooooooading > hit - dead > looooooooooooooooooooooading > hit - dead > looooooooooooooooooooooading > hit - dead > looooooooooooooooooooooading > hit - dead > looooooooooooooooooooooading > hit - dead > looooooooooooooooooooooading > hit - dead > looooooooooooooooooooooading > hit - dead > looooooooooooooooooooooading > hit - dead > ...

addict
addict
I did read your original post. Once we start going down the path of discussing restarts, it's good to discuss if we should have a rewind. Rewind features even implement checks for party wipes.

Sorry if it felt like I didn't read all of your post.

old hand
old hand
I felt rewind and restarting one round were concepts that would be intertwined, and rewinding being a way to more organically implement for the players. I brought up fire emblem, in older titles a unit would die and me who is a stickler for having everyone who can survive live, would then have to restart the entire chapter and load an old save which could be a couple minutes to a few hours of time and progress lost. While the newer two games if a unit dies I do not have that issue because they implemented a system to where we can go back in time in the combat. While mechanically FE and BG3 are vastly different, the former (kinda) has what you want whereas if you reach the lose condition of a battle (everyone dying) then the game instead of quitting out immediately, automatically starts the rewind time feature for you so you do not have to waste vast amounts of time on progress or loading.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu
I dont believe that ... unless you die in first round.
There is many possible decision otherwise, some more tactical, some less ... if you decide to sleep one enemy, hold person other enemy, and focus on third enemy ... that round will have entirely different outcome, than when you simply attack them all with simple attack.

These abilitys have high chance to either be resisted or miss or whatever it was.
I do not view them as part of the game because of that. I like control in combat and not relying on luck.
Does not feel good for me when it all just so happens to work out.

But yeah the Gith patroul is famous for downing a character of your's almost always in the first round.
Especially the named NPC with this two strikes in one round. It is a little tiring to have to face that if you wanna see the cutscene.

Priest-buff for more health, well-buff from Ethels house can help to endure first round.
But positioning is all in the end.

Link Copied to Clipboard