Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Originally Posted by Seiryu Suta
]

Love how peeps just throw words around. Hyperbolic....about what? Since both of you used it, and 1 actually put a face to it. When I say masochistic, I meant causing yourself undue harm, for no other reason to do it to yourself. (Harm in this context means creating a laborious act, in order to feel what....more true to life? It seems to just suck joy away from the game for no real benefit.)

Dismissive of the game? Again throwing words around. How am I dismissing the game? You are the ones that are being dismissive. There hasn't been a D&D ruleset game yet that has tried to change to a cooldown system. You all keep naming games that didn't, that didn't do anything for creating a real fan base. So maybe, especially since there's Solasta that is also in in EA already doing the true to life ruleset, we could....idk try testing out something a little different and see which game does better.

Saying we might as well just reset spellslots after battle, is actually being hyperbolic. We're throwing the baby out with the bathwater again. Cooldowns provide in combat balancing. Rest resets don't do all that much to balance in combat, just length of combat. Like I said its a sledgehammer approach.

Again I go back to the point resting in unrealistic timeframes is immersion breaking. This is something everyone seems to be able to see on the other end of the scope of not having to rest at all, which again would be your choice not to RP it yourself, but don't see how constantly doing it does. It also downgrades the whole meaningful experience that camping should be to a few clicks.

The best way I can think of to explain this is that the rest mechanic as it stands having spell/skill availability tied to it is a vampire, sucking the enjoyment out of the things it touches.

Again I will also address, maybe there are some that don't mind the rest mechanic, or maybe they even like it, however most people obviously do not.

As far as Fire Emblem goes, I've never heard of it, so I cant comment too much, but from some quick research, there isn't a "rest mechanic" just downtime in-between. The only "resting" thing I found on that quick search was to get a 50-100% XP boost to your students. Which is quite funny, as it is something I said I'd be in favor of for rest mechanics. Of course there should be downtime, would be nice to have some downtime features, like I mentioned in another post having a city management option for the goblin village and/or druid grove. Have it completely side quest, that got some very dismissive responses. Hey you don't have to play it, but I like having some other game features besides just punching people in the face, if I cant talk to them or buy something from them.

Love how I've actually spent time trying to discuss this, and actually make a case, and point things out, and I'm the one that gets called dismissive, hyperbolic, flamebaity, etc. Yet, not a lot of the responses have actually offered up more than just those types of comments.

Well, as I tried initially to say, it comes down to personal preference.

You just don't like a resting system, for whatever reasons. And I am pretty sure, whatever argument will be brought up, why someone LIKES or PREFERS a system where powerful mechanics are tied to resting, you will dismiss them.

Some of your arguments came across deragotive, 'sucks the fun out', 'masochistic', 'archaic', to name a few with which you attributed a resting system. And well, these are not really arguments, but really sound like subjective points of view.

I for one can't understand, what in the world would be so much better with cooldowns. For me, my character doesn't feel more powerful. I would just be able to see some very flashy special effects a little bit more often in a battle, that's it for me.

And, as I think everybody who wants a resting system in a D&D game has stated, the resting system in BG 3 is not very well implemented, there is definitely room for improvement.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Ayvah
My statement about popularity, wasn't that it should be implemented because its popular. I stated I'd like a D&D based game to actually be popular enough for it to get a successful franchise.
Again, it's irrelevant. You're not an authority on what's popular. And I really don't think you're going to change anyone else's mind on what they enjoy by appealing to this.

I want D&D to be popular, but that's because I want other people to like the things I like. If it becomes a thing I don't like, then if I care at all then I'll want them to hate it.

If you don't like skill slots/charges, or if your friends you want to share this game with don't like skill charges, then you can talk about that. That would be a solid argument and that's not an appeal to popularity. That's not quite what I'm hearing here.

Again, let Larian worry about what's popular. They can do their own market research and manage their own business. I will understand if they make a decision that I believe makes the game worse simply because they think it's more popular/safe (such as the DOS2-style "open" level design that stripped away the world map). But that doesn't mean I'll agree that it's better, and if they make too many sacrifices then they risk leaving me behind.

There's really no point being here to just advocate for what other people you've never met might want. It just seems absurd.

And again, the part that really has me confused is that the fantasy RPG you seem to want -- DOS2 -- already exists. Why don't you just ask Larian to make DOS3 instead? It seems to be at least 90% what you want. What would you change about DOS2?
Thought it was pretty clear that I don't like the spellslot rest mechanic personally. I feel strongly enough thru conversations with other people I've played with that that is also a put-off for them, and the market research is already there imho. There is obviously something holding it back from being more popular.

I agree and WoW ruining the MMORPG industry for a long time, is the case of exactly that. I don't care how popular something I don't like is. I wouldn't want it to turn into something I don't like.

....and no that game does not exist. It's getting tiresome having to repeat this several times. Just because I want the cooldown feature, that is in another game, doesn't mean I want that games sequel. The only thing Ive advocated for is changing to cooldowns for balancing skills/spells/abilities. That's it. DoS doesnt use 5E class system, feats skills, beastiary, races, lore, AC, stats, hit mechanics, etc.

What happens if we don't change them.
1. AA slog battles.
2. Not being able to really appreciate your character in battle, always having to force yourself to hold back, and never truly being able to just unload on an enemy.
3. Rest cycles are entirely unrealistic.
4. You cant fine tune balance, meaning once we get to level 20 in this game or future expansions, all combat will be a slog, and or completely irrelevant, and/or those levels will continue to be locked off, because gameplay at those levels is just bleh.
Ah, the real meat.

Anyway, I could address these points, but I think they already have been. D&D is fun. Given that the Baldur's Gate brand is tied to D&D (which is currently interpreted as 5E), the burden is on you to justify why deviations from the D&D 5E model would be for the best.

The core burden you have is explaining how the element you're criticising fails in the context of Baldur's Gate 3, and why the best solution is to nuke it by completely removing/replacing the element.
Actually they really haven't been addressed or at least not in a conductive manner.

I have made some points, and put together a pros and cons list. I cannot make you think like I do, if you cant discuss those points in good faith, to actually address those points so we can have a meaningful back and forth, I'm not going to continuie to defend my viewpoint to you, especially since you're just pulling out the "burden of proof is on you" card. All I've heard from your side from everyone is "thats not 5E rules" which is the same circular logic battle of "god says the bible is his word", how do you know god said that "cuz the bible says its gods word". The only other thing I've heard is, "a game can be made true to the 5e rules" yep, they have been, and yet other titles with inferior writing get better recognition, awards, acclaim, popularity, and are more enjoyable to play.

Also without bringing the popularity aspect into play, I will and have already been accused of my argument being "only subjective". Which is ironic when they then go on to make a subjective response.

....so if we could have a good faith discussion, without strawman arguments, and dismissing things on an arbitrary basis....that'd be great.

Last edited by Seiryu Suta; 30/01/21 12:07 AM.
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by daMichi
]

Love how peeps just throw words around. Hyperbolic....about what? Since both of you used it, and 1 actually put a face to it. When I say masochistic, I meant causing yourself undue harm, for no other reason to do it to yourself. (Harm in this context means creating a laborious act, in order to feel what....more true to life? It seems to just suck joy away from the game for no real benefit.)

Dismissive of the game? Again throwing words around. How am I dismissing the game? You are the ones that are being dismissive. There hasn't been a D&D ruleset game yet that has tried to change to a cooldown system. You all keep naming games that didn't, that didn't do anything for creating a real fan base. So maybe, especially since there's Solasta that is also in in EA already doing the true to life ruleset, we could....idk try testing out something a little different and see which game does better.

Saying we might as well just reset spellslots after battle, is actually being hyperbolic. We're throwing the baby out with the bathwater again. Cooldowns provide in combat balancing. Rest resets don't do all that much to balance in combat, just length of combat. Like I said its a sledgehammer approach.

Again I go back to the point resting in unrealistic timeframes is immersion breaking. This is something everyone seems to be able to see on the other end of the scope of not having to rest at all, which again would be your choice not to RP it yourself, but don't see how constantly doing it does. It also downgrades the whole meaningful experience that camping should be to a few clicks.

The best way I can think of to explain this is that the rest mechanic as it stands having spell/skill availability tied to it is a vampire, sucking the enjoyment out of the things it touches.

Again I will also address, maybe there are some that don't mind the rest mechanic, or maybe they even like it, however most people obviously do not.

As far as Fire Emblem goes, I've never heard of it, so I cant comment too much, but from some quick research, there isn't a "rest mechanic" just downtime in-between. The only "resting" thing I found on that quick search was to get a 50-100% XP boost to your students. Which is quite funny, as it is something I said I'd be in favor of for rest mechanics. Of course there should be downtime, would be nice to have some downtime features, like I mentioned in another post having a city management option for the goblin village and/or druid grove. Have it completely side quest, that got some very dismissive responses. Hey you don't have to play it, but I like having some other game features besides just punching people in the face, if I cant talk to them or buy something from them.

Love how I've actually spent time trying to discuss this, and actually make a case, and point things out, and I'm the one that gets called dismissive, hyperbolic, flamebaity, etc. Yet, not a lot of the responses have actually offered up more than just those types of comments.

Well, as I tried initially to say, it comes down to personal preference.

You just don't like a resting system, for whatever reasons. And I am pretty sure, whatever argument will be brought up, why someone LIKES or PREFERS a system where powerful mechanics are tied to resting, you will dismiss them.

Some of your arguments came across deragotive, 'sucks the fun out', 'masochistic', 'archaic', to name a few with which you attributed a resting system. And well, these are not really arguments, but really sound like subjective points of view.

I for one can't understand, what in the world would be so much better with cooldowns. For me, my character doesn't feel more powerful. I would just be able to see some very flashy special effects a little bit more often in a battle, that's it for me.

And, as I think everybody who wants a resting system in a D&D game has stated, the resting system in BG 3 is not very well implemented, there is definitely room for improvement.
You cannot be derogatory to a mechanic. it is not something that has sentience that can be insulted/disrespected.

As far as the Masochistic comment I clarified the usage, and I find the rest reset mechanic to be tedious and unenjoyable, so if you find it to enhance your gaming experience, obviously that is masochistic from my point of view. Professional Wrestling can be perceived as masochistic from another's point of view. it doesn't mean that person is in fact a masochist, hence "masochistic".

The problem is, I'm not hearing any real reasons as to why its a good mechanic.

Reason #1: "It's 5E Ruleset" This is not a good argument. That doesn't argue the quality of the mechanic, or why we should use it.

Reason #2: "Other games have proven they can be made that way" Again this is not arguing the merits of the mechanic.

Reason #3: "Resting is apart of the immersion factor" I agree, but you don't need to tie the spellslot reset mechanic to the rest mechanic, and removing that tie in, does not need to impact that experience.

Those are the reasons I've heard.

Cooldowns can serve the exact same purpose, and not take away anything. They can also do a better job of balancing combat than the spellslot reset mechanic, because you can fine tune each spell individually and not just by level.

I'm actually willing to have a conversation, point, counterpoint. Let's actually have a real conversation though, not this you wouldn't listen anyways, or dismissive responses that don't offer real reasons why we should stick with a model, that considering other games don't use, is prolly pointing out we should be willing to change.

old hand
old hand
@everything else going on, that I've needed more time to comment on.

Rest resetting has evolved even in the PnP setting. The PnP setting got more fast paced, as some others have gotten interested in it. Since it has, it has added a short rest for even that setting. D&D has modernized itself on the PnP side. Adapting a mechanic to the video game landscape, is the logical thing to do. They tried to stay as true as possible to the system for DDO, and even there they adopted a mana system, which lets you spam spells. At least cooldowns limit them. Combat usually does not extend past 5 rounds. Cooldowns lasting 4-5 turns limit them to 1 time per battle, this makes it serve the same purpose as the rest reset mechanic. As a matter of fact you can balance it even better, because you can make higher level spells/abilities more restricted. Spellslots would allow me to actually spam a spell back to back, as long as I have them available, and is less strategic overall. Cooldowns serve the same exact purpose of balance, that rest resets do, except they do it better. What reason is there to keep rest resets other than "that's the ruleset bro". Once upon a time there was 4E too, which was the worst thing WotC ever produced.

Because it was cherrypicked out again, I will address it AGAIN. My statement about popularity, wasn't that it should be implemented because its popular. I stated I'd like a D&D based game to actually be popular enough for it to get a successful franchise. That is why it is a relevant statement, because I'd like more content to become available. I firmly believe those games are more popular because of that mechanic, not that the popular games just use them. Sticking to things because, "that's just the way we've always done it", is a terrible reason. What holds back the D&D inspired games from actually being received by a wider audience? Is it the stories? Nope, I think the D&D based ones have some of the most interesting/epic storylines. Is it cuz peeps don't play RPGs? Nope, definitely not that one. Is it the barrier to entry. Maybe, character creation, leveling and advancement is slightly more confusing than other games out there, but then again there are games that are even more min/max that have popularity. Is it because the gameplay sucks or its clunky? Nope, D&D nails combat. Is it because it loses fun factor because it has laborious chore like mechanics, that don't translate to the medium of PnP to cRPG well. Pretty sure that's the reason. I would even argue that a lot of you arguing against it prefer cooldown mechanics, but just don't want them in this game cuz you want a true to life ruleset, even if it makes parts of the game less fun. Sounds masochistic to me.

What really happens if we use Cooldowns instead of Rest Resetting spell availability?
1. The same effect of balance. Better balancing overall, because you can fine tune it better. Rest resetting is a sledgehammer approach, mana is a slightly smaller/bigger hammer depending on how you look at it approach, and cooldowns are a dagger approach.
2. You can still keep rest mechanics. You can still make some spells restricted to 1/day.
3. Your character can have a more realistic day/night rest cycle.
4. Combat becomes more strategic, because you have to use more than 1 spell you really like from each level.
5. We could get a Day/night cycle, that we can't control. This adds so much more RP value.

What happens if we don't change them.
1. AA slog battles.
2. Not being able to really appreciate your character in battle, always having to force yourself to hold back, and never truly being able to just unload on an enemy.
3. Rest cycles are entirely unrealistic.
4. You cant fine tune balance, meaning once we get to level 20 in this game or future expansions, all combat will be a slog, and or completely irrelevant, and/or those levels will continue to be locked off, because gameplay at those levels is just bleh.

What happens if options that have been suggested, are added on top of this poor mechanic.
5. Day/Night cycles will be so fast they will be unrealistic, or so slow that you have to sit around and wait for night time just so you can rest.
6. If you make it limited to 1 rest per 2hrs of play, you are forcing people to sit around and wait, creating even more of a negative experience for them, and making the game get bad reviews.

In closing, you can achieve better balancing, and you can implement a more meaningful resting mechanic, when it is not tied to skill/spell availability. That more meaningful rest mechanic will have actual roleplay value. You could add a day night cycle, that can make the game more immersive. You can add in an actual time into the games, that is impactful and meaningful. You can actually improve the overall experience, and implement more things and not have them be negatives, but positives.

If you're going to counter point this, at least give real reasons, and discuss in good faith.

Kind of wonder if you are just here to troll.

M
M
....so if we could have a good faith discussion, without strawman arguments, and dismissing things on an arbitrary basis....that'd be great.

After calling people who simply have different opinions on the matter "lunatics"! You must be joking. xDDD

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by fallenj
Kind of wonder if you are just here to troll.
ZZZZZ

Again I'm the one that's throwing insults....seriously?

No I'm actually trying to state a case while y'all just respond with these kind of comments. SMH

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by marajango

After calling people who simply have different opinions on the matter "lunatics"! You must be joking. xDDD

Cuz I said it was lunacy to not even realize that Tabletop and PC are different formats? That is actually exactly what I'm talking about. You are trying to undermine reality, in order to "win" the discussion. I can only assume you are trying to grief me and act in bad faith.

addict
addict
the market research is already there imho. There is obviously something holding it back from being more popular.
The only other thing I've heard is, "a game can be made true to the 5e rules" yep, they have been, and yet other titles with inferior writing get better recognition, awards, acclaim, popularity, [...]
You really struggle with resisting the whole appeal to popularity thing.

You're not going to change anyone's opinion about a game just by pointing out how unpopular it was. I really don't understand why you think anyone should be convinced by this argument.

[...] and are more enjoyable to play.
Enjoyable to whom?

I want games that are enjoyable for me to play. Is that such a strange thing to want?

Just because I want the cooldown feature, that is in another game, doesn't mean I want that games sequel.
But why though? What elements about Baldur's Gate do you prefer? Given your regular appeals to popularity -- why do you want other people to like Baldur's Gate? What do you hope to achieve by making BG3 popular?

Anyway, I could address these points, but I think they already have been. D&D is fun. Given that the Baldur's Gate brand is tied to D&D (which is currently interpreted as 5E), the burden is on you to justify why deviations from the D&D 5E model would be for the best.
Actually they really haven't been addressed or at least not in a conductive manner.
Let me make this clearer. They have been addressed because D&D is fun. We like Baldur's Gate because we like D&D. That should be an uncontroversial statement in this forum.

Therefore, these elements have demonstrably worked in the tabletop game. These elements also been demonstrated in other video games that we enjoy (including earlier Baldur's Gate games).

That doesn't mean that the elements were good in those video games, but if we like a video game, then the onus is on you. If you want to persuade us, you need to convince us that we would have liked that video game even more if the element were removed, or that the element that worked in the other game cannot work when translated to BG3.

M
M
Originally Posted by marajango

Cuz I said it was lunacy to not even realize that Tabletop and PC are different formats? That is actually exactly what I'm talking about. You are trying to undermine reality, in order to "win" the discussion. I can only assume you are trying to grief me and act in bad faith.
No, I was inviting you to change your point of view on the matter from a different perspective in order to gain insight, why people might have different opinions than yours.
After following this thread for a longer time now, I would like to apologize, though, for wasting both your time and mine, since you don't need to either gain any more insight or have a dialogue with other people about how they feel, because you have already perfectly analyzed why you are right and everyone else is simply wrong on the matter, nothing in-between.
So I will simply leave you here, with your absolute wisdom on everything and you can just talk to yourself why everyone else is so foolish and just can't see reason.

Last edited by marajango; 30/01/21 12:50 AM.
addict
addict

Masochism is pleasure from self harm. Assuming that self harm and laborious acts are synonymous with each other to try to prove a point is hyperbole.
You all keep naming games that didn't, that didn't do anything for creating a real fan base.
I don't know what basis there is to assert any of the games referenced don't have a real fan base. Do you have data on this?

I said if we're going so far as adding in cooldowns for players don't have to click the mouse a few times, then we might as well not make them wait a few seconds. Unless you're thinking of extremely lengthy cooldowns. How long of a cooldown are you aspiring for?

Most on the forums agree that rest can be improved. They are varying opinions on how to, but it's one thing most agree on.

You've made it clear that you don't like the rest mechanic numerous times.

Thesaurus
Just as downtime and rest are synonyms, long rest and the time spent at the monastery are analogous game mechanics. Both are being used to restore resources, both are being using to tell more of the story between the characters, both are outside of combat, and both allow the player to do things at their leisure.

I didn't dismiss any of your ideas for that. I'm mostly referencing another RPG in the modern era. If we're going to talk about Baldur's Gate 3 being with the modern times, there are few games better than Fire Emblem: Three Houses to use as a point of reference.

I'm just going to say that most of the forum members who have multiple posts in this thread have made an actual case to represent their thoughts and beliefs.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
@Ayvah, Circular logic, 0 value.

@marajango, Ah but again no points were made. I actually do listen, but when nothing has been offered on merit?

@DragonSnooz,

Masochism can also be enjoyment of something tedious. words are more flexible. Also they aren't always literal.

We can compare games, we can also look at how many times and how long D&D has been around and yet doesn't compete on the same level.

Why make me click the mouse a few times at all, other than to just do it? The length of the cooldowns would depend on the spell level and the spell itself. Cantrips would be 1 per turn, level 1s prolly anywhere between 1-2 turns, and so on.

Ah but if you go to a monastery to reset your skills/spells, that's not making your character sleep for 8 hrs every 0.5-2 hrs. It may seem like semantics to you, but it pulls me out of character, it breaks immersion.

Add a church to go pray at to regain your spells, that would actually be better, and less immersion breaking. However, that being said, cooldowns still have better balancing capability than rest resetting does.

I will try to make a point of reading back thru, but I don't remember any points made as to why the 'spellslot rest reset mechanic' is actually a good mechanic, or as to why the 'cooldown mechanic' is bad. I put that in quotes, because I mean that exact mechanic. Not resting itself.

Last edited by Seiryu Suta; 30/01/21 01:35 AM.
addict
addict
@Ayvah, Circular logic, 0 value.
Yeah. Um. I don't think you know what that means. I dare you to explain how my logic is circular.

we can also look at how many times and how long D&D has been around and yet doesn't compete on the same level.
It really seems like you believe you can make us want something simply by telling us it's already popular. Have you considered whether this might be circular logic? Arguing that things should be popular because they're popular?

Popular things are often better things, but they're not better because they're popular. They're popular because they're seen to be better (in some way).

When you're trying to argue that people should like something, you can't just point to the popularity of it. Those two things are the same thing!

Again, things are popular because they're seen to be better. Just focus on arguing why it's better.

Last edited by Ayvah; 30/01/21 03:24 AM.
addict
addict
Masochism can also be enjoyment of something tedious. words are more flexible. Also they aren't always literal.
We're talking about mouse clicks.

We can compare games, we can also look at how many times and how long D&D has been around and yet doesn't compete on the same level.
I'd like data for that. 5e sales, Roll20 usage

Why make me click the mouse a few times at all, other than to just do it? The length of the cooldowns would depend on the spell level and the spell itself. Cantrips would be 1 per turn, level 1s prolly anywhere between 1-2 turns, and so on.
You'd make someone wait 2 turns to re-use a level 1 spell? The current game meta is spending the slot. That's a distortion in the whole game balance.

Ah but if you go to a monastery to reset your skills/spells, that's not making your character sleep for 8 hrs every 0.5-2 hrs. It may seem like semantics to you, but it pulls me out of character, it breaks immersion.
Video game immersion is how frequently the player will be engaged with the game. You aren't bothered by talking goblins, which we also don't have in real life? If you can be immersed with talking goblins, characters carrying 15 bows, a whole digital world showing on your computer monitor, etc. then I don't know why you can't be immersed with long resting in a few seconds.

Add a church to go pray at to regain your spells, that would actually be better, and less immersion breaking. However, that being said, cooldowns still have better balancing capability than rest resetting does.
How would this be better than prior proposals that long rest should only be usable at safe zones?
I will try to make a point of reading back thru, but I don't remember any points made as to why the 'spellslot rest reset mechanic' is actually a good mechanic, or as to why the 'cooldown mechanic' is bad. I put that in quotes, because I mean that exact mechanic. Not resting itself.
There were, mouse clicks are maybe 5 seconds, a cooldown post battle is about the same. Unless you're going to represent multiple turns. Once we get to two turns (12 seconds) the game would be wasting the player's time. It's even more tedious than clicking a mouse twice. Cooldowns would change very little. But if you want to implement long cooldowns, that's a massive rebalance of the game. The point is, cooldowns wouldn't improve anything.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
I'd like data for that. 5e sales, Roll20 usage

I didn't deny PnPs success. Its also in an upswing. PnP has also adapted as it has progressed. Big Bang Theory was a huge hit, Will Wheaton's Tabletop series on Youtube was a hit. People in general are not as uncomfortable being "nerdy".

However, here's some data.

Pathfinder: 200-300k copies sold. This is a bit hard to narrow down, as I cant find direct info on Pathfinder itself, because it gets grouped with Outwards sales with a combined total of 1.2million sold, and checking out outwards individual sales they had 1 million copies sold. seems like they are trying to inflate Pathfinders success by giving total sales.(D&D)

DOS2 has 2-3m sold. Larian is a fairly new company on the RPG stage. D&D has been around since 197X, and has had multiple video games.

Skyrim has sold 20-60m copies. IDK why there seems to be a huge discrepancy in the numbers reporting here. Even the 20m wipes the floor with any D&D video game.

Baldurs Gate 2, 2m Copies sold. BG 1 2m, BG DA 1.2m.(D&D)

Dragon Age 3.2m copies sold. Inquisition 6m.

Daggerdale 100k copies sold (D&D).

Oblivion 3m Copies sold.

Neverwinter Nights 2.2m(D&D)

Icewind Dale 1&2 combined Sales 580k(D&D)

The Witcher Series 1,2 &3 sold 50m total, last one #3 sold 12m alone.

I wont even get into MMO's for comparison except for a quick glance, but Everquest 2, DDO and WoW were all the same timeframe for release. DDO is at the bottom of the list for that group though. I've tried to keep the list to ones that I can at least find the same number in 2 different places.

Lets keep in mind that Bioware made BG 1 & 2, and then also made Dragon Age. Dragon Age didn't use D&D rule set and was more successful.

The data speaks for itself, obviously there seems to be something holding back the D&D ruleset from being a hit. BG and NWN were awesome games. I still think NWN is by far the best RPG I've played.

They are saying BG3 has already sold 1m in EA, and I cant find any data on Solasta except an estimate of about 200k. I don't know if id agree with that since bg3 has 32k reviews and Solasta has 2k. Reviews should be closer if Solasta holds 20% of what BG3 has.

The question here is how much of this is nostalgia for a 20yr sequel, how much of it is riding on the coattails of Larian and/or Divinity, how much of it is for the D&D rule set. That's where I'm concerned we might squander the chance to see a D&D rule set become more successful/mainstream, if we are willing to the industry standard for cooldowns instead.

Last edited by Seiryu Suta; 30/01/21 05:36 AM.
addict
addict
So Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 did equivalent to Dragon Age and Oblivion. That sounds pretty good to me.

It's probably more brand-name recognition than anything else.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
So Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 did equivalent to Dragon Age and Oblivion. That sounds pretty good to me.

Inquisition tripled BG1&2s sales. I couldn't find the data for origins, but id imagine it did at least as good as inquisition. The point here is that these other games skyrocketed or at least doubled, none of the D&D titles did.

only number i can find on origins is that it sold 3.2m in the first yr, cant get a total sales anywhere tho.

Last edited by Seiryu Suta; 30/01/21 05:34 AM.
addict
addict

Inquisition tripled BG1&2s sales. I couldn't find the data for origins, but id imagine it did at least as good as inquisition. The point here is that these other games skyrocketed or at least doubled, none of the D&D titles did.

only number i can find on origins is that it sold 3.2m in the first yr, cant get a total sales anywhere tho.
Well the gamer population grows year to year. BG 1 and 2's sales numbers for a 90's release is pretty stellar. Neverwinter Nights did well too, even through WoW was clearly a juggernaut over them. By an large WoW, owned the MMO market until FFXIV.

I'd say DnD brand games have been punching above their weight. I don't even remember Daggerdale or Icewind Dale getting much marketing, depending on their budget both could actually be successes. The Witcher series was a juggernaut in every sense of being a gaming juggernaut. Skyrim is Skyrim, it'll be a release title for Playstation 7 and XBOX 180.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S

Well the gamer population grows year to year. BG 1 and 2's sales numbers for a 90's release is pretty stellar. Neverwinter Nights did well too, even through WoW was clearly a juggernaut over them. By an large WoW, owned the MMO market until FFXIV.

I'd say DnD brand games have been punching above their weight. I don't even remember Daggerdale or Icewind Dale getting much marketing, depending on their budget both could actually be successes. The Witcher series was a juggernaut in every sense of being a gaming juggernaut. Skyrim is Skyrim, it'll be a release title for Playstation 7 and XBOX 180.
Oblivion was more obscure than D&D. Skyrim is the successor to Oblivion. Icewindale was meant to be the successor to BG and NWN. Nobody made a D&D game after that until Daggerdale, and it was a joke. Icewindale was released after Skyrim. NWN2 was still releasing expansions 2 years before Skyrim.

D&D should be punching higher than the others. FFS they had Bioware at the helm of there games for over a decade.

journeyman
journeyman
A little bit of research does not hurt.

Icewind Dale was released in 2000, Skyrim in 2011. Enhanced Edition IWD was released in 2014 but that was an enhanced edition, given some polish etc. It was already a 14 year old game by then.

Neverwinter nights was a game from 2002 and uses 2rd edition, IWD uses 2e infinity engine mechanics. (IWD2 was also 2002, which also uses 3e rules. The only infinity game to do so)

It was not meant as a sequal, but a seperate series using the Infinity Engine, showcasing and focussing more on the combat rather than storytelling.

Regarding sales, you cannot compare them directly 1 to 1 without taking context into account, really. Games becoming more popular, gaming studios becoming more popular and getting more "brand recognition". Comparing DOS2 sales to older games like BG without including their earlier versions? Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, etc. Then there is the context of other games on the market in those years, as well as Enhanced Editions, Definitive Editions, Diamond Editions etc.

There is a lot of speculation and claims that are simply incorrect in your arguments.

addict
addict

Oblivion was more obscure than D&D. Skyrim is the successor to Oblivion. Icewindale was meant to be the successor to BG and NWN. Nobody made a D&D game after that until Daggerdale, and it was a joke. Icewindale was released after Skyrim. NWN2 was still releasing expansions 2 years before Skyrim.

D&D should be punching higher than the others. FFS they had Bioware at the helm of there games for over a decade.

What are you talking about?

Oblivion was a follow up to Morrowind. Morrowind was a follow up to the critically acclaimed Eder Scrolls: Daggerfall. Elder Scrolls was already a well-established series. Morrowind alone sold millions of copies.

Icewind Dale came out in 2000, Skyrim was 2011. (Daggerdale was also 2011)

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard