Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
I would love if you could negotiate mid combat like weakening enemies using a spell and negotiate with the leaders or enemies by threatening or blackmailing them or if all the enemies are unconscious through sleep or something you could have a chance to exit combat or turn based and leave since everyone is a sleep there is nothing they can do for a set time so you could get past them or run away. This would be a good method or using charisma in the middle of combat to convince an enemy to surrender or a good way to exit combat without risking too many resources, I know that restocking isn't a problem but ending with a conversation when you appear to have an advantage is an interesting idea, also leaving combat while people are incapacitated is a good idea because they won't be able to fight for awhile anyway.

Last edited by ExusNeaDragon; 27/01/21 04:42 PM.
veteran
veteran
+1 to this.

I've posted this elsewhere on the forums that there should be some method of ending combat besides the death of all your enemies. You can technically knock them out, sure, but since they remain hostile this basically just delayed the murdering. Also it can be very tedious to do this.

My suggestion is similar to yours: a persuasion or intimidate check, with the DC decreasing depending on how many enemies you've incapacitated.
-the DC is somehow related to the CR of the enemies: E.g., DC 15 for the tieflings guarding Sazza and DC ~25 for combat with the goblin leaders
-kill/incapacitate their leader (Minthara, Zevlor, Kagha): DC drops by ~5
-every enemy killed decreases the DC for intimidation check by 2 and the persuasion check by 1
-every enemy knocked out decreases the DC for persuasion check by 2 and the intimidation check by 1
-to prevent spamming this check to cheese every combat, maybe you can only make this check once or twice per combat and it costs an action to do

This would have many benefits
-A quick end to tedious fights that you're ~guaranteed to win, but it will take many more turns to actually kill/knock out the remaining enemies.
-Possible interrogation of enemy leaders instead of just killing them
-Enabling additional roleplay: e.g., playing a PC who is against killing
-A middleground between no combat and death. Again, why should I be forced to kill those tieflings guarding Sazza? I should be able to intimidate them: "Hey, I'm much more powerful than you and if you continue fighting me you'll die. Surrender." Knocking them out is BG3's current option for this, but unless things have changed, they remain hostile and leaving them alive can possibly lead to the entire tiefling camp becoming hostile.

addict
addict
This would be so cool. Negotiations are a blast in SMT and I would love to have them in Baldur's Gate 3.

Negotiations would alleviate the issue of failing the skill check in the conversation and they would help players complete pacifist runs.

As a Minimum, I'm picturing:
If player tried to persuade/intimidate to avoid combat.
AND
enough enemies are dead, unconscious, prone, etc.
AND
If the leader is still alive and about to be killed/knocked out (successful roll)
THEN
Leader will try to resume the conversation as if the player had succeeded the skill check.

The player will be given the option to show mercy or kill.

I would love to be able to demand ransoms, etc. But that is a lot of additional voice acted dialogue. If Larian is willing to do it, I'm willing to have it grin

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I see you had quite simliar idea to me. I agree that for many cases we should be able to end the combat in non-lethal way. The siege situation especially comes to my mind, or the camp fight with Halsin/Minthara.

Either way, a way to stop accidentally triggered combat would be great too. I will state my point, from previous post on forum because it applies to this as well.

Originally Posted by TheOnlyRealTav
a) When Minthara talks to us about the Gate, we could report this to Zevlor, to use it as a trap. When the attack starts, we should "open the gate", although this time to help the defenders. What happens after is that goblins charge inside and then, gate gets closed, cutting them off from the rest of attackers (for some time at least) resulting in tactical advantage.
b) If we happen to capture the Minthara during the battle inside the tunnels, we could bring her as a prisoner straight to the walls to make the Goblins flee.

Problem: Outcomes of the battle being different, instead of just killing all the enemies.
a) Minthara is knocked out, battle ends. Zevlor talks to us, what to do with new prisoner.
The options should include:
- Giving her to druids/tieflings
- Finishing her off
- Taking her as a prisoner
b) Minthara is dead, battle is over. Current version of cutscene is started.
c) Minthara is unable to fight, due to being too wounded and exhausted, but still conscious + fight is over. First, we can approach her, to ask a few questions and possibly foreshadow our intentions, then cutscene with Zevlor discussing with us about what to do with drow starts. Or we just finish her off.
d) Attackers flee, the Drow warlord is at full health. Tries to escape, ends up being captured. Altered cutscene with Zevlor plays.
e) The Cleric of Absolute is surrounded by the enemies and the rest of her soldiers flee. She tries to make the last stand. Player should be given the possiblity to persuade her to surrender, promising no harm etc. Otherwise she fights until the moment of not being able to fight anymore (1 hp). PC gets to decide to do with warlord afterwards.

- Possibility of convincing the leader of Goblins to use the secret tunnel, resulting in different scenario of attack. Cutscene should appear at the start, with PC deciding which side to take. The attackers should divide into 2 groups, one coming from the tunnels and one from the side of the gate.
- Leader of the opposing force dying/being knocked out/incapitated should affect their soldiers negatively.
- Killing enough enemies should not only affect the combat effectivness of the particular side, but also if enough combatants die, the rest should flee.
- During the fight, Minthara and Zevlor should be brought down to 1 hp first, instead of being outright killed. Only player should be able to finish them off for good. Scroll of revieve/resurrection should still be able to bring them back though.

Problem:Not enough options are present
Solution:
a)Another quest from Minthara before attacking should be present. The questline ends too quickly compared to the "good" side.
b)There aren't enough possible outcomes for tieflings. Solutions mentioned in this thread include:
- Sell them to slavery ... either to Zhentarim, or to Underdark
- Sacrifice them for the Absolute ... either right there, or send them to Moonrise Towers
- Give them to goblins
- Let them go, to spread word of what happened here ... with possibility to send goblins after them.
c)We should be able to weaken the druid grove by playing on the conflict between Druid Kagha and Zevlor. A way to make them fight between each other should exist, like showing the tieflings that Kagha works for Shadow druids, which would result in her + few of druids (not all) fighting against Zevlor, us and tieflings + druids loyal to Halsin.
d)Zevlor, Kagha, Halsin should be possible to capture.

5) Important characters (Kagha, Zevlor, Halsin, Dror, Priestess Gut, Minthara) should feature additional possibilites, such as:
a) resurrecting, either as an ally (if for example Halsin dies during the escape fight), or just so that we can capture them afterwards
b) capture for interrogation and in case of Minthara and Halsin, convincing them to join our side (not instantly obviously)
Our interactions with prisoners should be varied, in terms of how well we treat them. Especially the 2 most important npcs in act 1, who show a good potential for next acts - Minthara and Halsin.
A good treatment (such as being given a bedroll inside the prison cage, normal food instead of bread and water, etc.) could give an opportunity to recruit them later as a companions (and if player wishes to) even romance. It would be interesting too, seeing how we can either redeem/drag them towards the darkness.

It was discussed here:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=748888&page=2
If you are interested. The first post on first page and the 4 th post from the bottom on the second page are the most important parts.

Last edited by TheOnlyRealTav; 27/01/21 06:38 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard