Ok, so I don't remember if BG I & II had companion AI, its been awhile. I think I remember having it, but I might be thinking of a different game.

Anyways, I'd like to see the ability to have some AI companion options. I would like to be able to toggle it on or off, for each character if I notice they are being dumb, or I really want them to perform a certain task. I like being able to focus on my character/my avatar and not my whole party, because I feel its more immersive that way. Like you can yell out something to ask someone else to do something once and awhile, but they aren't your puppet. Lets you lead, but lets your companions have more free will. Tough battles require more micro-managing obviously, but default tactics would be nice for those simple-medium ones.

I would like to see some AI rules though, like from some game I played before it might've even been BG, where I can say, hey when your below 20% HP chug a potion, focus attack on my target, focus attack on lowest HP. Options like this would be good, again something realistic, like combat tactics a group would actually use, and don't waste potions to top off 10%hp, and don't drink an invisibility potion every turn, or chug down every buff potion in your inventory(I'm looking at you DoS2).

Anyways something I'd like to see, and maybe even have the ability to get more autopilot commands for each companion according to your approval rating with them. Like they get more confident in your leadership, and are willing to take more of your advice, starts with 1 suggested rule, and you get more as you go. You could make this a togglable option to tie it into the approval rating, as some people may not want to tie it into that.

Oh and for the love of god, create better AI than whatever was used in DoS2, it was a mod that added the feature but it used default game AI for it, and omg, are they dumb.