Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BeeBee Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
delight

Soooo, this post contains minor spoilers.

As I was listening to the 5 hour long datamined Astarion voice file (as one does), I came across a VERY interesting line: it's basically a variation on his romance line at camp in Act 1 EA, where he says, "Once everyone has gone to their tents for the night, we'll find each other", only that in this version he says "rooms," not "tents," which suggests that the party will be in an actual building with individual rooms like an inn or a guild at a later point, when a second or third romance scene will be available.

This was foreshadowed by Gale and Astarion, who both crave the comforts of regular beds and baths when they are at camp.

Which got me thinking... a "room" could also be in a castle -- wouldn't it be cool that one of the consequences of defeating Cazador would be to take over his castle, which I'm sure it's super Ravenlofty and a joy to my Vampire: The Masquerade - starved heart? Given how territorial vampires are in D&D, and how the Szarr history is tied to Baldur's Gate itself, it would also be a very satisfactory reward for Astarion's quest and a great fort where we could place barrels and bathtubs to trap and clean our enemies.

Similarly, most of the other companions seem to have a class-related building in Baldur's Gate -- Shadowheart is apparently joining with the clerics of Shar, so if her questline includes toppling the leaders (as it's hinted at) why not take over their real estate portfolio too? For Gale, there's a sorcerer tower thread hanging at Baldur's Gate even though he's from Waterdeep -- the Rolan / Lorroakan duo. Lorroakan is shaping up as an unseen antagonist, and it would be great to take over his tower and camp there. Baldur's Gate has everything, and I'm sure that a Gith crèche is one of the services the city can provide -- with Lae'zel now distrusting her Kith'raks it would be a matter of time to have a confrontation AND a hostile takeover of the nursery, while Wyll's history with the Flaming Fist, their over-the-top strategies and their antipathy for him is well established -- to me, that spells awesome barracks ready for the taking.

Plus, every "camp" would have different advantages. One of the things that irked me about EA is how underpowered crafting and training is; there are mannequins at camp that you can shoot, but the tools to make potions, improve your weapons or write spells (I guess that's what all those feathers and inkpots are for) are kind of spread all over the world and mostly unusable unless you kill the owner.

So... posh pads as a reward for completing certain character missions / yeeting some characters? Although I would understand if these options were only available when you play Origin characters, while Tav the Custom Ranger gets a nice room at the Elven Tavern.

(Or a castle. I would even take a Hunting Pavillion, given Cazador's ultra telenovela name).

Please, Larian, let us have a castle?

stranger
stranger
Given how much of a big deal Cazador is, according to Astarion, we will definitely be paying him a visit. But I doubt that we would be able to crash at his place after killing him: it's probably uninhabitable for anyone who isn't undead. So, it'll probably be a trip around the vampire manor with the final boss fight.

However, I do believe that the camp's design will change depending on the location. We may even get a temporary base of operations somewhere in the Baldur's Gate instead of squatting with our bedrolls, but I don't think it would be a castle or a fortress. Given how the plot is going, it may be something of a hideout, with crafting stations and everyone's private corners available.

I didn’t invest any points into self awareness
journeyman
journeyman
The House of Hope looks cosy too grin

Last edited by Umbra; 04/02/21 11:00 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
The real reason to stop the bad guys: move into their fancy castles to use their comfy beds.

BeeBee Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Malrith
The real reason to stop the bad guys: move into their fancy castles to use their comfy beds.

I think that after a year of EA camping everyone in the party, regardless of their alignment, would approve of that move. You know that your heroes have been suffering when they smell a goblin leader's feet and think, "hm, lavender, kind of nice, better than us in any case".

By the time they reach Moonrise Towers, Astarion could lure his companions to the dark side of having thrall/slaves/spawns if he promised to use them to carry warm water for their private baths. Hell, Raphael won't even need to promise to remove the tadpole to get their souls; he'll just dangle a fluffy pillow and clean cutlery in front of their eyes and they will sign whatever he proposes.

Link Copied to Clipboard