Next Thread
Print Thread
#755359 09/02/21 07:31 PM
E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
I would love if there was a mechanic where we can craft literally any item as long as you have the knowledge, materials, and requirements. It would be amazing if the game included an analysis system to figure out how to copy and modify an item like analyzing a spell scroll for one spell and making a spell scroll for any spell you know or adding stat buffs and skills and/or spells that anyone can use while wearing them. It may need to be a pretty comprehensive system but I would love if the game includes something similar to that. It would be great to make custom equipment and consumables for your party or wares.

S
addict
addict
S
Larian's previous game, DOS2, was rather excellent, but convoluted crafting was one of the very worst parts of it. You wasted time wasted picking up evermore mostly trash items and wasted time trying to figure out which ingredients were truly useful (mostly resorting to online sources for immersion breaking meta-gaming). You became hesitant to sell a great many items that might or might not be useful and the game devolved into inventory mini-games where you wasted more and more time organizing and constantly re-checking if you had and where you had required ingredients.

Convoluted crafting is a pretty large net negative for me. Definitely worse than not having any crafting at all - even before you consider allocating development resources on this aspect takes away from other areas that could be more enjoyable. I consider it filler material for lack of real story content only fitting MMO/sandbox-games. It also is a bad fit both for the D&D rules and the BG3 narrative in which you are in a desperate fight against time. BG3 already has a significant issue with narrative dissonance and complex crafting can only serve to make that a more obvious issue for anyone who truly value immersion.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Personally i would love to see crafting even if it was basic, but open ended crafting would be nice, I don't want it so you HAVE to craft just so you CAN craft.....

D
D
I hate crafting and games that require it! Larian, please make it completely avoidable without serious difficulty/content/balance consequences, or avoid it altogether...

Just to be clear: I don't mean combining weapon parts aka the Absolute spear (what Cespenar/Cromwell did in BG2) - though even here I prefer moderation and quality over quantity (make creating powerful/legendary weapons actual quests)...

addict
addict
I love crafting. I wanted it as convoluted as possible, and I want to be forced to look at Google Sheets composed by the community to determine what's required for what.
Furthermore, I want to farm for rare materials only found in difficult areas in the far reaches of the world.
There's nothing more satisfying to me than creating something badass after investing a lot of time into collecting all of the components for it.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

I am open to some crafting recipes, especially if they add those books that teach you recipes like they had in DOS2. I wouldn't like anything too convoluted, but I'd be down for some potion-making and certain things like what we have now. Crafting sounds good to me!

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!
enthusiast
enthusiast
The only D&D game I recall ever having "true" crafting was the heavily modded version of ToEE.

It's not something that has really received attention from developers.

old hand
old hand
Some crafting would be nice but it doesn't need to be super complicated. I would like to be able to craft poisons and potions and also different armour styles and dyes. We can already find herbs, shouldn't be too hard to add more recipes to the existing crafting.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Seraphael
Larian's previous game, DOS2, was rather excellent, but convoluted crafting was one of the very worst parts of it. You wasted time wasted picking up evermore mostly trash items and wasted time trying to figure out which ingredients were truly useful (mostly resorting to online sources for immersion breaking meta-gaming). You became hesitant to sell a great many items that might or might not be useful and the game devolved into inventory mini-games where you wasted more and more time organizing and constantly re-checking if you had and where you had required ingredients.

Convoluted crafting is a pretty large net negative for me. Definitely worse than not having any crafting at all - even before you consider allocating development resources on this aspect takes away from other areas that could be more enjoyable. I consider it filler material for lack of real story content only fitting MMO/sandbox-games. It also is a bad fit both for the D&D rules and the BG3 narrative in which you are in a desperate fight against time. BG3 already has a significant issue with narrative dissonance and complex crafting can only serve to make that a more obvious issue for anyone who truly value immersion.

Wasn't a mandatory part of the game, nor was picking up every item in the game or looking up online sources cause your to lazy to figure it out yourself. These "issues" you are going on about is just made up in your head.

DOS 1 & 2 both had pretty fun crafting in my opinion and if you sank the time into it generally wasn't that complicated. Another game that had a crafting system semi related was Skyrim and Elderscrolls online's Alchemy which required trying out combinations to get a result.

D&D has a crafting system that requires gold and sinking xp into crafting the item, at least that's how 3.5 was. They had a class in Eberron called Artificer where you would specialize in crafting and ruines I think...been a while.

Anyway pretty sure Larian said in a interview or something that crafting wasn't going to be a big focus in the game. Truthfully I'd like them to go more of a D&D route for a change of pace for crafting.

Originally Posted by fallenj
Originally Posted by Seraphael

Wasn't a mandatory part of the game, nor was picking up every item in the game or looking up online sources cause your to lazy to figure it out yourself. These "issues" you are going on about is just made up in your head.

DOS 1 & 2 both had pretty fun crafting in my opinion and if you sank the time into it generally wasn't that complicated. Another game that had a crafting system semi related was Skyrim and Elderscrolls online's Alchemy which required trying out combinations to get a result.

D&D has a crafting system that requires gold and sinking xp into crafting the item, at least that's how 3.5 was. They had a class in Eberron called Artificer where you would specialize in crafting and ruines I think...been a while.

Anyway pretty sure Larian said in a interview or something that crafting wasn't going to be a big focus in the game. Truthfully I'd like them to go more of a D&D route for a change of pace for crafting.
On Artificers, they can create some magic items, and imbue normal items with magical properties, yes.

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by DuskHorseman
On Artificers, they can create some magic items, and imbue normal items with magical properties, yes.

Thought they got all crafting feats as class features or bonus feats.

An ya they had some kind of imbuing feature that could be applied to items or warforged bodies. This is 3.5 though I'm going off of, curious if 5e carried over some rules from it.

Last edited by fallenj; 11/02/21 01:52 AM.
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
(sarcasm ahead; you have been warned)

Yes, let's add full crafting to the game. So that some players can say game balance is broken because of how easy it is to craft a +5 vorpal soul stealer while others whine about how hard it is to craft a +1 dagger.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RBarbare
(sarcasm ahead; you have been warned)

Yes, let's add full crafting to the game. So that some players can say game balance is broken because of how easy it is to craft a +5 vorpal soul stealer while others whine about how hard it is to craft a +1 dagger.

If we get crafting, I want to be able to craft Gummy Bears of Holding, and +5 Vorpal Wands of Food Creation.

And my Bard simply MUST have a Fork of Tuning !

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard