Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
Has Larian developers played these prior games?
I was wondering if there is anything is these games worthy of bringing back to BG3?
I am not sure I have noticed this in prior interviews, but was this even discussed by Larian? <we enjoyed this and that in these games, therefore we will bring xxx back to bg3> kind of comments?

R
stranger
stranger
R
Not sure about interviews, but there are some throwbacks to BG1-2 here and there in early access: the letter that mentions Gorion and his ward, the book with interview of sorts about bhaalspawns, the weird ledger that mentions Sarevok's name. And also here are 2 spoilers from datamined content which are directly linked to the previous games.

Aside from that, I think Larian definitely mentioned that they know previous games and that there will be something that ties BG3 to BG1-2 and "Descend into Avernus", though they didn't give any details.

They have mentioned that a large majority of them have grown up with the older games, and that they had the people in the company who hadn't played the originals play through them so they could get a grasp for what they were going for.

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!
T
Banned
Banned
T
I am convinced that all have not played BG1 and BG2 if you have such expectations it is marketing hype. Depends on their age and interests.

It is even worse in movies and TV series. In Cobra Kai Tv series the actor that plays the role of Daniel LaRusso daughter had trained only 2 months Karate before joining the TV series. To her credit she does have natural talent she can actually kick with some kicks to her head hight like me can also do it.

I also have nothing against her she has Diabetes 1 a deadly disease and have my full symphathy that woman actor. This much I know of Diabetes 1 that there is risk she will not reach pension age alive due to Diabetes 1. She has done her acting well and is a beautiful with at least some skills in Karate and I am PRO for her being member of all seasons they do in that TV series.

In an interview she told that the most diffcult kicks like extreeme kicks (that even I could not do) is done by a stunt woman that have trained martial arts 8 years.

If you for one second believe every Larian team member that develops BG3 has played those games BG1 and/or BG2 then I call it bullshit.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 11/02/21 12:48 PM.
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
I am convinced that all have not played BG1 and BG2 if you have such expectations it is marketing hype. Depends on their age and interests.

It is even worse in movies and TV series. In Cobra Kai Tv series the actor that plays the role of Daniel LaRusso daughter had trained only 2 months Karate before joining the TV series. To her credit she does have natural talent she can actually kick with some kicks to her head hight like me can also do it.

I also have nothing against her she has Diabetes 1 a deadly disease and have my full symphathy that woman actor. This much I know of Diabetes 1 that there is risk she will not reach pension age alive due to Diabetes 1. She has done her acting well and is a beautiful with at least some skills in Karate and I am PRO for her being member of all seasons they do in that TV series.

In an interview she told that the most diffcult kicks like extreeme kicks (that even I could not do) is done by a stunt woman that have trained martial arts 8 years.

If you for one second believe every Larian team member that develops BG3 has played those games BG1 and/or BG2 then I call it bullshit.
My friend,I am just saying what they have said. And, to a degree, it stands to reason that people developing a sequel to those games would benefit from having played them. You are correct, perhaps not every Larian employee has played them, but it is likely that a large majority of them have. They all probably have similar interests (Fantasy RPGs, game design and development, stuff that would come up if you design fantasy RPGs for a living), and BG came out in '98. It stands to reason that many of the employees would play one of the most prolific games of the genre they develop games for, and many who hadn't would say "Hmm, maybe I should take a look at the game I'm developing a sequel for!". You are right, not every, but a large portion makes sense.

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Riful
Not sure about interviews, but there are some throwbacks to BG1-2 here and there in early access: the letter that mentions Gorion and his ward, the book with interview of sorts about bhaalspawns, the weird ledger that mentions Sarevok's name. And also here are 2 spoilers from datamined content which are directly linked to the previous games.

Aside from that, I think Larian definitely mentioned that they know previous games and that there will be something that ties BG3 to BG1-2 and "Descend into Avernus", though they didn't give any details.

I mean, all the tieflings fleeing Elturel afrer it got pulled back from Avernus are an absolutely massive reference to Descent into Avernus, which is all about making that happen. XD

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
I was wondering if there is anything is these games worthy of bringing back to BG3?
I am not sure I have noticed this in prior interviews, but was this even discussed by Larian? <we enjoyed this and that in these games, therefore we will bring xxx back to bg3> kind of comments?

You talking mechanic wise or story wise?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist

Yes, many Larian employees will have played BG1/2, but as they are using 5e rules and a modern coop focussed engine, there isn't much scope for mechanical similarity, and very little scope for artistic resonance.

BG3 follows canon Forgotten Realms lore, which includes the world events of BG1/2, but without any reference to "your" BG1/2 experience. Certain human characters ( Volo and Minsc ) have survived 100 years of FR history through magical mishap ( Imprisonment/Petrifaction respectively ), and Volo has already appeared in EA, while Minsc has been mentioned in a leaflet that implies he has been returned to flesh. Many non-human characters from BG1/2 could also still appear after 100 years, but I am not aware that FR canon has mentioned the fates of other BG1/2 characters, and have not seen eny references in EA.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by etonbears
[...] but as they are using 5e rules and a modern coop focussed engine, there isn't much scope for mechanical similarity, [...]

I'm sorry, this isn't meant as an attack or intended aggressively, but I could not help my derisive sniggering at the juxtaposition of these remarks...
If they can be said to be using the 5e rules, and would still say that about this game, then it goes without any need to demonstrate that they consider themselves to have as much scope to alter the mechanical feel and function in literally whatever way they want, to whatever extreme they feel like without giving up that claim.

G
stranger
stranger
G
I recently bought BG2EE on steam when there was a half price offering.
I hadnt played BG2 since probably before 2005.
But oh boy what a gem of a game it still is.
Quite surprised even though I had expected it to be good.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by grip
I recently bought BG2EE on steam when there was a half price offering.
I hadnt played BG2 since probably before 2005.
But oh boy what a gem of a game it still is.
Quite surprised even though I had expected it to be good.
Ah, those rose-tinted glasses are still on I see. BG2 is good for its classic story with a few enjoyable characters and party banter. Gameplay is way outdated. Production values are abysmally low compared to current gen games. BG2EE does next to nothing to improve on this.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard