Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#755549 11/02/21 05:02 PM
Jess Offline OP
Larian Alumni
OP Offline
Larian Alumni
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hello everyone!

It sounds crazy, but we haven’t spoken since last year! My, how you’ve grown. Let’s hope this year will bring brighter cheer. You might have noticed the Larian Twitter handle mentions Patch 4 brewing, and it’s been that way since the launch of Patch 3. It’s taken a while, but we’re finally ready to talk about it… soon.

Patch 4 is right around the corner. We can’t be more specific than that at the moment, but look, today we announced the Panel From Hell 2! Mark your calendars, on February 17th at 10am PT we’re going back to Hell.

Following the success of last year’s live streamed event, the Panel from Hell is making its chaotic return. Featuring Principal Rules Designer of Dungeons & Dragons Jeremy Crawford, Creative Director Swen Vincke and guests Nick Pechenin, David Walgrave and more, next week’s stream promises to reveal a heaving assembly of news and updates for Baldur’s Gate 3 – including the biggest patch note ever forged in the fiery pits of Larian.

Panel from Hell 2 will also unveil the ways Larian is meeting the challenge of BG3, along with a peek at newly improved cinematics, Tieflings, spells and cows, oh my! And wrapping up the show, we'll be live streaming the latest content from Baldur's Gate 3's biggest update yet.

We look forward to having you join us next week!

As for the patch itself, this amount of changes is invariably going to invalidate previous saves. That means saves prior to Patch 4’s release will not be compatible with Patch 4.

That said, we’re again branching out with the same solution as before. If you’re already accustomed to this as a hardened Patch 3 veteran, then simply follow the same steps as before and skip the text at the bottom of this post, because it’s not new text and it’s quite long.

Hopefully, once you’ve tuned into the Panel From Hell 2 you’ll have better clarity on what’s inside, but also a new yearning to re-roll. Hmmmmmmm!

How to keep playing on Patch 3:

The secondary branch will be the previous version, but the primary branch (default download) will be the latest version. To access the secondary branch, do the following:

• Right click on the game in your Steam library
  • Select properties
  • Click the BETAS tab
  • In the list under "Select the beta you would like to opt in to", select patch3
  • Close the properties menu

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]                          

If you do the above steps, you are all set to continue your current playthrough.

If you are unsure whether you want to update to the new patch, we recommend disabling automatic updates now, so that you have the choice to manually update to the new patch or opt-in to the secondary branch once the patch arrives. To disable automatic updates follow the below steps:

STEAM:

• Right click on the game in your Steam library
  • Select properties
  • Click the Updates tab
  • Select "only update the game when I launch it" in the drop down menu

GOG:

• Select the game from the owned games section
  • Click the settings button top right and select manage installation > configure
  • To disable auto-updates, there is a checkbox “automatically update to new version” > uncheck this box to stay on the current patch
  • Unchecking this box will let you roll back to a previous version

You can already move to the beta branch now, if you’d like to protect your save file and continue on the current version. Note: save files are not ‘deleted’ from your computer; they’ll remain in your folder, but you’ll only be able to load saves specific to their respective versions.

Important note: If you want the option to go back to the previous patch, it’s best to make a new in-game profile and backup your local saves from the previous patch. You can do the following before or after updating to the latest version:

• Before starting a new playthrough, create a new profile by clicking the profiles button on the top left of the main menu. All your progress in the new patch will then be saved under this profile while your old saves are safe in the previous profile.
  • As an extra safety measure, you can manually back up your savegames:
    Go to /Documents/Larian Studios/Baldur's Gate 3/PlayerProfiles/
    Find the folder that is named after the profile you used in the previous patch
    Copy and paste this entire folder into a backup location
  • If you want to revert back to the previous patch, follow the instructions above and activate your old profile
  • If you have somehow lost your progress by overwriting savegames and want to restore your old backed up savegames simply copy over your old profile folder into its original location again: /Documents/Larian Studios/Baldur's Gate 3/PlayerProfiles/
    Sync back to the patch2 beta branch with the instructions above and load your old savegames

We know that having to switch branches may be annoying, but this is part of early access. All the feedback we’ve been gathering from your adventures and posts will go right into these patches, so next time you play it’ll feel like an experience you’ve helped to create.

Note: Branching unfortunately won’t be available on Stadia for the moment.

G
addict
addict
G
After 3 months, I'd hope so. Now to see if the revealed live date from the Panel From Hell will be delayed with more excuses and radio silence.

journeyman
journeyman
"Re-roll" as in, actually roll? smile

S
addict
addict
S
Great to hear, thank you for the update!

stranger
stranger
huzzah! knew something was in the works! fingers crossed patch 4 has new classes/sub-classes or even content laugh

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I'm So Excited !

Last edited by Thespen; 11/02/21 05:58 PM.
F
apprentice
apprentice
F
yes

Very Good.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
I'm hoping for some much needed overhauls to the evil side of things. Siding with the goblins was very dissapointing. All this talk about power and authority, you get nothing worthwhile. The Questlog says "the Absolute has rewarded me with more powers" but you get nothing. I would have expected a permanent stat boost or something very unique. After all the Hag can boost your stats, the Absolute is even more powerful so it should be easy to do. The magic items carried by the goblin leaders are so much better than all the junk you get from murdering the tieflings.

Please make sure to keep the evil playthrough interesting, with interesting NPC's and not make it the "murder everyone playthrough" because thats boring. The current evil playthrough lacks incentive, there is very little reason to go for it from out PC point of view, since the goblins and the true souls never offer anything in regards to our tadpole. The evil playthrough should open up NPC's and story interactions which are otherwise impossible for a good playthrough. The evil playtrhough needs to present us with interesting characters with depth, just like a good playthrough. Look at how Knights of the Old Republic works. Depending on whether you choose the light side or the dark side, you will learn unique things about your companions and you will get to influence them and their path in unique ways. This needs to be reflected in the game aswell.

And please rework the resting system. Its in dire need of an overhaul. Short rests are obsolete, long rests are unlimited and available everywhere. The whole balance of a mess because you can always get full HP and full spell slots anywhere. The game throws way too many potions, scrolls and food at the player. And 1 candle for each character is unlimited "coat weapon in fire" which makes all the poison bottles obsolete. Remove these candles, they are overpowered.

veteran
veteran
Looking forward to it! claphands Newly improved cinematics and spells sound great. Maybe new companion(s) as well (especially would like to see Halsin as a companion)?

Last edited by Icelyn; 11/02/21 06:24 PM.
stranger
stranger
Been waiting since November to jump into some truly new content, hopefully. Quit playing ever since the option of taking out the goblin leaders stealthily was poorly implemented, every goblin became hostile weather you are around or not. I know they got complaints about some of these quest outcomes since the beginning so fingers crossed. Also we need lvl 4, you are in qtr2 of early access, I feel it's time to test non launch day features.

addict
addict
Thank you for finally sharing this! Looking forward to.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
oufff.... that means that with every new patch i'll have to restart from scratch? I mean will this happen up to the release of the full game? What I mean if they add new content will it be playable with patch 3 (or 2) even with not optimized mechanics and cinematics and other stuff or does the playable content for those patches end with chapter one?

Thansk for anyone who helps with my doubts ^^

veteran
veteran
Looking forward to this. There wasn't enough in the last patch to keep me playing. (and I didn't like the Shadowheart changes)

Hoping for another area. Hey d20, does "chonky" mean Temple of Shar? Rolls the dice . . . .

D
D
Originally Posted by Bufotenina
oufff.... that means that with every new patch i'll have to restart from scratch? I mean will this happen up to the release of the full game? What I mean if they add new content will it be playable with patch 3 (or 2) even with not optimized mechanics and cinematics and other stuff or does the playable content for those patches end with chapter one?

You will be able to finish the game if you decide to stay on the older version, but to enjoy new version (with bugfixes and potentially new content), you will have to start again as saves are not compatible.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Bufotenina

At this stage, I would expect (welcome/desire) every patch to invalidate prior saves.

A lot work is needed, the game is in an alpha state.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Fantastic! Bring it on.

journeyman
journeyman
Excellent news!

Artist, Writer, Poet, Crank
Art, poetry, and prose of a grim and unserious nature.
https://www.lrjonte.com/
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Jess Larian
Panel from Hell 2 will also unveil the ways Larian is meeting the challenge of BG3, along with a peek at newly improved cinematics, Tieflings, spells and cows, oh my! And wrapping up the show, we'll be live streaming the latest content from Baldur's Gate 3's biggest update yet.

Going to guess the update will introduce companion options in cinematics. They talked about this a while back as something they were working on I'm pretty sure.

Cow part is probably some number break down related to the cows already in the game.

But Tieflings and spells...donno.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Spells and cows... Sounds like wild magic to me!

The way Larian manages party movement is dreadful
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard