Next Thread
Print Thread
#756105 15/02/21 06:47 AM
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
So elven creatures are immune to being magically put to sleep, right? If I'm correct, that immunity does not extend to stuff like potions. I'm not sure if this is intended, but potions seem to be able to be used as grenades. Throwing a potion on the ground next to someone will apply that potion's effect to them. However, elves seem to carry their sleep immunity over to potions, but only when thrown. I threw a sleeping potion at shadowheart's feet, and it said she was immune. I had her drink it, and she went right down. Whereas throwing the potion at lae'zel put her to sleep as normal, same as drinking it.

Is this intended? Cus something about that seems a little off. Almost like throwing a potion technically counts as a magical effect in the game engine.

addict
addict
It would be worth filling a formal bug report on that one - the inconsistency alone is an indication that something is not working as intended.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It is also possible that it is currently intended like that by Larian, however inconsistent that makes the game be. Indeed, there's one time in the game where the character doing the conversation can drink a sleep potion, and if you do that, the character normally falls asleep. Haven't tried with an Elf, but maybe they have so far implemented the rule that drinking a sleep potion makes an Elf fall asleep just so that this sequence works (instead of writing an alternative sequence for an Elf character).

On a related note, Elves are supposed to not sleep at night, but meditate/trance instead. When you have a tadpole dream, you can protest that this doesn't make sense and you don't normally sleep, to which the dream replies that yes, but this dream is special, so that's fine. What's not fine is that when Astarion comes for a bite at night, your Elf PC will be sleeping like any other PC, and there is no acknowledgement of that.

I am hoping that, for both these cases, the writers will eventually write an alternative for Elves, and that the game will not resort to inconsistencies "because writing reasons".

On a different note, I have not experimented with potions as drink vs thrown. I'm very curious about buff potions. If I throw a Healing or Speed potion near my allies, do they get the buff ? Can this turn a single-person buff into an AOE ? I hope not.

Hoping we'll be able to create great assumptions-free Custom Characters and be given great roleplay options.
veteran
Online Content
veteran
You can really throw a potion next to someone to apply it's effect on someone else ?

Potions usually have to be drinken for it's effects to apply... Is that something else to add to the "things that doesn't work well in a video game according to Larian" list ?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes I just saw someone throwing something in a YouTube clip & realised I haven’t used that once outside of grease & alchemist fires - I think you can throw a healing potion on a downed companion ? At least I think I read that on one of the forum posts - yet to try that one myself - seems a bit odd - mind you I can kinda see it being ok with say a poison potion or yes maybe a sleep potion ....dunno have to mull it over a bit....

Might be another self imposed rules - breaking a healing potion in order for it to work seems wrong....

Last edited by Tarorn; 15/02/21 10:25 AM.
old hand
old hand
Its almost certainly not intented ...
Since
when you drink sleeping potion from priestess Gut, as (half-)Elf ... it will do nothing and game reacts on it as if it should do nothing, so i presume is simple bug or oversight

Originally Posted by Tarorn
Yes I just saw someone throwing something in a YouTube clip & realised I haven’t used that once outside of grease & alchemist fires - I think you can throw a healing potion on a downed companion ? At least I think I read that on one of the forum posts - yet to try that one myself - seems a bit odd - mind you I can kinda see it being ok with say a poison potion or yes maybe a sleep potion ....dunno have to mull it over a bit....

Might be another self imposed rules - breaking a healing potion in order for it to work seems wrong....
Yes you can ... but it seem a bit tricky, once i healed my companion by throwing healing potion at him ... once i killed him. O_o
Dunno how it exactly works. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 15/02/21 11:08 AM.

I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Too much for me to reply to all of it, but I do know for sure that at least health potions can be yeeted at people like health grenades, but only if you throw it on the ground at their feet so it wont miss. I think if you throw it AT them, it counts as like a rock or something, but if you throw it at the ground, it makes like a little cloud of potion effect that you can run through to get the effects. Throwing it at someone's feet instantly triggers the cloud as soon as it spawns.

You can actually revive people this way too.
I once was in the abandoned magic tower, and one of the armors pushed shadowheart out the window all the way down to the front door. Ofc she went down on impact, and failed her death throws. She would have died next turn had I not used Astarion's dash to run up to a ledge and chuck a health potion all the way down to her. It hit the ground next to her and revived her, saving her life.

And if the thing is that elves don't sleep at all, the 'fey ancestry' thing should probably say that elves do not sleep, not just that they're resistant to sleep magic.
I vaguely recall having Shadowheart drink Gut's potion and fall asleep, but I could be mistaken on that.

Also how does one submit a formal bug report?

addict
addict
You can submit a thread down in the bug section of the forum and hope it gets seen, or you can file a formal bug report using this link:

https://larian.com/support/baldur-s-gate-3?ver=4.1.90.6165#modal

Link Copied to Clipboard