Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#757049 18/02/21 01:42 PM
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I know a lot of people really like the BG3 narrator voice but personally it makes me cringe...just seems really smug to me! I’m looking forward to this game but I think this one issue might have me banging my head off my walls more than once! Someone said that it’s like you’ve woken up with this woman the morning after you’ve been seduced! 😆 Not the worst thing I admit but I don’t think I need it in a D&D video game! What do you guys think?

E
addict
addict
E
This was one of the things I mentioned in the feedback I sent to Larian. I found the narration far too sultry and smug, as you say, but smugness is something that seems to be at the core of a lot of Larian’s writing and is evident in the tone of most of the companions. Thinking on it more, sex seems to have received quite a bit of attention in this game according to the sex cinematics...I wouldn’t know because I don’t play CRPGs for the romances.

It’s not the most important part of the game, granted, but a narrator with a little more gravitas and wisdom in their voice would not have gone amiss but this is a personal preference of course.

enthusiast
enthusiast
She can step on me like Resident Evil's tall lady. I would love to hear more of that voice work even if she was reading a Vademecum or a Popular Mechanics magazine.
I think her sultry tone fits the theme of temptation and power very neatly, a vast improvement over the chipper narration of DOS II.

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by BeeBee
She can step on me like Resident Evil's tall lady. I would love to hear more of that voice work even if she was reading a Vademecum or a Popular Mechanics magazine.
I think her sultry tone fits the theme of temptation and power very neatly, a vast improvement over the chipper narration of DOS II.

Yeah I can understand how it might fit the tone of temptation but I can't help but feel she's doing the voiceover for a chocolate bar advert (anyone familiar with the Cadbury's Flake adverts from back in the day will get the reference).

To digress slightly, the temptation is sort of shoved in your face (I am never tempted to use the tadpole but the choice is constantly forced on me) and there doesn't seem to be any apparent benefits for resisting using the tadpole.

Anyway, its a moot point, the narrator won't change and plenty of folks seem to like it. Horses for courses.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Etruscan
Yeah I can understand how it might fit the tone of temptation but I can't help but feel she's doing the voiceover for a chocolate bar advert (anyone familiar with the Cadbury's Flake adverts from back in the day will get the reference).

Mmmmmh, delicious.

E
addict
addict
E
Hahaha! True.

enthusiast
enthusiast
[quote=Etruscan]

OH I found the reference, and you have A POINT. Now I want BG3's version chocolate ads baked into the game, MUCH better than Legolas' Lembas informercial moment. Even the music is very "Down by the River". Thank you for this, it made my day.

AND MY FAVOURITE, THE BANNED FORBIDDEN AD:

E
addict
addict
E
Wow, those brought back some memories, thank you. I can see the Down by the River similarly too.

Those ad budgets back in the day were crazy. Also, probably wouldn’t get away with making them these days.

I have to share my favourite version too laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hahhaha, amazing!

P
addict
addict
P

To digress slightly, the temptation is sort of shoved in your face (I am never tempted to use the tadpole but the choice is constantly forced on me) and there doesn't seem to be any apparent benefits for resisting using the tadpole.

Anyway, its a moot point, the narrator won't change and plenty of folks seem to like it. Horses for courses.

Something tells me there will be consequences of over using the tadpole in the full game. Right now I have varied the play, some games I refuse to use it, some I use it a little and some a lot. I mean I just want to see all the varied content for each decision.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Their are consequences for using the tadpole. Pretty dire ones datamined so far. An item you get in the underdark heavily implies what one consequence is.

Ncps can control your mc. Probably worse than ethels masks forcing a wisdom save or lose the turn every turn. The mindflayer in the underdark strengthens your tadpole but gives you a item to resist control. I'm pretty sure he lied about wanting to remove the tadpole and really secretly wanted to strengthen it for unknown reasons. It knew what it was doing in my opinion.

veteran
veteran
It's Malady. What is NOT to like?

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Aishaddai
Their are consequences for using the tadpole. Pretty dire ones datamined so far. An item you get in the underdark heavily implies what one consequence is.

[spoiler]Ncps can control your mc. Probably worse than ethels masks forcing a wisdom save or lose the turn every turn. The mindflayer in the underdark strengthens your tadpole but gives you a item to resist control. I'm pretty sure he lied about wanting to remove the tadpole and really secretly wanted to strengthen it for unknown reasons. It knew what it was doing in my opinion.
[/spoiler]

So I assume certain NPCs, such as enemies can control you? Maybe it will be implemented in an interesting way but at this point, I'm not sure I really care to be honest...I love a mystery but for whatever reason this storyline hasn't inspired me at all. Everything is so mysterious I just want to be pointed in the direction of an arch rival to fight .

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
It's Malady. What is NOT to like?

No idea who or what Malady is but assume it's from DOS.

veteran
veteran
Personally, I find that honeyed sultry smugness to be wholly inappropriate for a narrator's delivery. It's a great VA, and would work wonderfully on an NPC, but it has no business being our narrator with that mode of delivery.

Last edited by Niara; 18/02/21 11:46 PM.
E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Niara
Personally, I find that honeyed sultry smugness to be wholly inappropriate for a narrator's delivery. It's a great VA, and would work wonderfully on an NPC, but it has no business being our narrator with that mode of delivery.

You said it better than I ever could.

S
addict
addict
S

I like the voice but then again I only cared about the information she was giving and not the tone.

I agree the voice actor is great. I wish I can use her voice in my characters.

old hand
old hand

Yeah, I'm more or less in this corner. It feels odd to have the narrator... trying to seduce me or something? That's not going to work at all, it's just uncomfortable.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Aishaddai

[spoiler]Ncps can control your mc. Probably worse than ethels masks forcing a wisdom save or lose the turn every turn. The mindflayer in the underdark strengthens your tadpole but gives you a item to resist control. I'm pretty sure he lied about wanting to remove the tadpole and really secretly wanted to strengthen it for unknown reasons. It knew what it was doing in my opinion.
[/spoiler]

So I assume certain NPCs, such as enemies can control you? Maybe it will be implemented in an interesting way but at this point, I'm not sure I really care to be honest...I love a mystery but for whatever reason this storyline hasn't inspired me at all. Everything is so mysterious I just want to be pointed in the direction of an arch rival to fight .

I don't know what to tell you. I speculate that people higher in the absolute cult will straight up take your character both combat and dialogue wise. Elder brains will probably be even worse. In terms of excitement thats on you. I tend to play neutral and good characters so I was never planning on using the parasite.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard