Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Alodar
Originally Posted by Seraphael
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IgN2IAZi8Hho6X_7XpiW-0N_cUYEJvX8/view

Poll from back in October, I would like to see a more updated one. Arguably none of the issues are considered important by most.

That poll has 500 respondents.
Over 1,000,000 folks have participated in EA.
It represents the thoughts of 0.05 % of the community.
Yup. Clearly insufficient numbers and yet the best numbers available to us.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Danielbda
"On a scale from 0 to 10 how accurate would you like BG3 to be in regard of
DnD5e?"
The distribution is clearly concentrated on the right tail. At least whithin the sample, the majority wants the game to be close to the rules.
As would I (was never aware of this poll until now, so didn't get my voice heard). You are correct in that a clear majority wants accurate implementation of D&D rules, but simultaneously most people expressed they were happy with both the D&D rules interpretation and Larian's homebrew. And this was BEFORE Larian actually removed some of their homebrew (like elemental surfaces on most wizard cantrips). So there is some...shall we say logical inconsistencies afoot.
I don't think so, because if you go back to the questions, the one that asks what players think of the current implementation mentions EA, and the one asking about rule implementation does not, so I think its making a statement about the full release.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Poll from back in October, I would like to see a more updated one. Arguably none of the issues are considered important by most.

Best for what exactly?

veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Well perhaps the silent majority disagree with this community but there's no way know, right? You've been handed multiple forms of evidence -- the popularity of threads, polls and community members making it clear that these issues are important to them -- and you've tried to poke holes in each form of evidence. But if we cannot gauge sentiment from forums and polls how are you able to divine secrets from the silent?

Wait, you don't have a tadpole, do you? wink

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 18/02/21 09:50 PM.
Originally Posted by Lunar Dante
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
I didn't hear any mention of the issues most important to this community: movement mechanics, rule implementation and party size

When you say most important to this community, what you mean is most important to you.

This is a diverse community who have different likes and dislikes.

Well you seem to be pretty well informed wink Could you share what are the main concerns on this forum ?

I would never speak for anyone but myself.

I think that Larian is not supposed to deal with individual feedbacks, and unanimous feedback do not exist. I think they should take into consideration feedbacks when they are made by a bunch of people, particularly if there are no contradictory feedbacks from another bunch of people.

By the way, I would like also to see an update of the survey, which is VERY interesting (I wish I had seen this poll, because I did not answer it).
Plus, when people say that are not happy with a homebrew rule, it does not necessarily mean that the people satisfied with it would not be satisfied with the implementation of the RAW rule. So, I think that when you get around 40/50% of unsatisfaction with a homebrew rule, it is a very bad sign, and that with the implementation of the RAW rule the overall percentage of satisfaction would be clearly higher on many items.

E
addict
addict
E
I think I was most surprised by the plug for the DOS board game. Am I alone in thinking that had no place in a BG3 live stream? Or did I completely misread the narrative?

I was also disappointed with the grand reveal, happy to see the druid class revealed but sorry to see they basically doubled down on the game mechanics as it currently is. It’s still early days but I don’t hold much hope the party control, inventory, UI or combat issues will be addressed or even acknowledged.

It feels like they have taken a classic car and turned the next iteration into a muscle car.

addict
addict
I think that Larian is not supposed to deal with individual feedbacks, and unanimous feedback do not exist. I think they should take into consideration feedbacks when they are made by a bunch of people, particularly if there are no contradictory feedbacks from another bunch of people.

By the way, I would like also to see an update of the survey, which is VERY interesting (I wish I had seen this poll, because I did not answer it).
Plus, when people say that are not happy with a homebrew rule, it does not necessarily mean that the people satisfied with it would not be satisfied with the implementation of the RAW rule. So, I think that when you get around 40/50% of unsatisfaction with a homebrew rule, it is a very bad sign, and that with the implementation of the RAW rule the overall percentage of satisfaction would be clearly higher on many items.
All homebrews are either concentrated on the left tail (most dislike it) or the distribution is a mess with many bars around the same size (people have no idea if they like it or not). There is none that has fat right tails.

S
addict
addict
S

Best for what exactly?
In the context of this thread, determining the OP's rather bold claim as to what constitutes the consensus of what the most important issues are.

old hand
old hand
[quote=Alodar][quote=KillerRabbit]

You gotta admit that complaning about the lack of D&D mechanics in a D&D game is not unresonable right?

You gotta admit that expecting a triple AAA computer game based on the paper and pencil 5E rule-set to not have changes is pretty unreasonable right?

Nobody is arguing that there should absolutely under no conditions be any changes made from 5e. People are arguing against specific changes because they make the game less good.

Please stop strawmanning people.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
enthusiast
enthusiast

Well perhaps the silent majority disagree with this community but there's no way know, right? You've been handed multiple forms of evidence -- the popularity of threads, polls and community members making it clear that these issues are important to them -- and you've tried to poke holes in each form of evidence. But if we cannot gauge sentiment from forums and polls how are you able to divine secrets from the silent?

Multiple examples of small sample sizes from biased sampling does not magically transform those small samples into a representative opinion.
I do not debate that these issues are important to these individuals, but I am not convinced they represent the community as a whole.

Wait, you don't have a tadpole, do you? wink

We are us.

It represents the thoughts of less than 0.05 % of the community.

Most polls supposed to approximate global reality have a seamless percentage, or even inferior.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dexai
[quote=Alodar][quote=KillerRabbit]

You gotta admit that complaning about the lack of D&D mechanics in a D&D game is not unresonable right?

You gotta admit that expecting a triple AAA computer game based on the paper and pencil 5E rule-set to not have changes is pretty unreasonable right?

Nobody is arguing that there should absolutely under no conditions be any changes made from 5e. People are arguing against specific changes because they make the game less good.

Less good in your opinion.
To some they might make the game better.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Most polls supposed to approximate global reality have a seamless percentage, or even inferior.

A representative sample size, by it's very nature, must be representative of the overall population.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran

A representative sample size, by it's very nature, must be representative of the overall population.

Sure, no one would argue the forums of evidence we have are perfect but they are what we have available to us and making conclusions on the basis of evidence is better than coming to conclusions without evidence.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Sure, no one would argue the forums of evidence we have are perfect but they are what we have available to us and making conclusions on the basis of evidence is better than coming to conclusions without evidence.

How are conclusions based on bad evidence better than conclusions based on no evidence?

So why would Larian even care about doing polls if it is to ignore the results afterwards ?

veteran
OP Offline
veteran

How are conclusions based on bad evidence better than conclusions based on no evidence?

I don't think it's bad evidence. It's a sample of the people who care enough about the game to voice an opinion.

S
addict
addict
S

I don't think it's bad evidence. It's a sample of the people who care enough about the game to voice an opinion.

Yeah but don't you know Larian is designing for the silent millions? The ones who don't express an opinion?

Yeah them.

S
addict
addict
S
Less good in your opinion.
To some they might make the game better.

Is that you Sven?

All kidding aside. Look the OP was just giving his impressions. And yes, people with issues tend to post more on forums. It's like that everywhere.

You got all wound up because you think the OP was speaking for everyone and was concerned Larian would act towards it. As if Larisn lacks the critical thinking and internal metrics to determine what direction they want to go.

Argue his points. Debate for or against it. That's what these forums are here for. But to call him out that "he doesn't speak for the community" is pretty silly to me. Ultimately we all speak for ourselves and nothing more.

Let the OP vent. You can also make a thread listing how wonderful BG3 is and how you wouldn't change a thing.

addict
addict
Getting this thread back on topic.

I was disappointed.

The bad

* Lighting improvements are not good because it's is a sign that the devs are focusing on honing their strengths instead of dealing with their weaknesses. The game is already beautiful. The problems are with the mechanics and rule implementation. Get the fundamentals right and then polish

* The gameplay seemed cheesy -- running to the fairy ring to bring the rest of the party to the fight seemed like an exploit of engine limitations. That was a missed opportunity because the hag fight can be won without cheese

* I was hoping for more content. I knew a new area was a long shot but at the bare minimum I was expecting to see both the druid and paladin classes introduced. Announcing the druid class didn't feel like a "big thing" at all. It's a core class, of course it's going to show up eventually.

* I didn't hear any mention of the issues most important to this community: movement mechanics, rule implementation and party size

* Hard to separate from ^ but I was annoyed that they brought in WotC to okay their rule changes. Another missed opportunity, was hoping for another "we listened to you on ___" statement. Like they did with cantrip surfaces

* The "this game has to ship sometime" comment worries me
Lighting improvements are a separate team, I've been expecting graphics to change since some moments have clearly been placeholders. We haven't seen what is in patch 4, but the group that would control mechanics and rule implementation were probably busy with all the bugs that were reported. Especially since several bugs were about rule implementation.

The gameplay avoided showing any hot topic discussions. I agree I'm a little disappointed, It would be cool if they would at least let us playtest combat if higher ground only provided disadvantage to enemies at least 6 feet lower. Or, the vice versa only providing advantage on attacks. Or even playing with them both removed.

I think the lack of mentions was deliberate. It felt like they wanted to avoid getting our hopes up for something that would not be in the patch.

Jeremy Crawford, always supports the DM's choice. He does provide great insight to how rules should play out, but the DM is the DM.

The good

* Bug fixes

* Smaller downloads

* Attention to realms lore -- the flaming fist now has the correct coat of arms

* More staff means more people getting paychecks and, hopefully, less wait time between patches

* I'm glad loaded dice is being implemented as an optional feature

* I liked seeing the cow getting scratched and petted.

I hope loaded dice will quell the comments about misses. It's worth noting that they were a smaller group of the community than anything in the mega-threads. I'm not losing hope yet on playing ranged casters without restrictions.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard