Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
addict
addict
Thought I'd just mention, since Prone is being discussed here, but bear in mind how Prone is currently coded in BG3.

(https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=754684&page=1) This is the list detailing status conditions in the game currently and how they work.

The short is: Prone in BG3 is also Unconscious and Incapacitated, currently (this is why it automatically ends your concentration without a save - you become Unconscious when you fall over), and auto-dispels on your turn because you are forced to stand up right away. Unless that changes, there's no way to actually utilise prone in this game.

apprentice
apprentice
This wall of txt can be cut to two things fix jump disengage and add overwatch...

M
stranger
stranger
M
+1 to OP, agree with whole post.

Jumping to be micromanaged and merged with disengage action is especially frustrating.
Dodge action also would be nice.

S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Niara
Thought I'd just mention, since Prone is being discussed here, but bear in mind how Prone is currently coded in BG3.

(https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=754684&page=1) This is the list detailing status conditions in the game currently and how they work.

The short is: Prone in BG3 is also Unconscious and Incapacitated, currently (this is why it automatically ends your concentration without a save - you become Unconscious when you fall over), and auto-dispels on your turn because you are forced to stand up right away. Unless that changes, there's no way to actually utilise prone in this game.

I am not big on adding prone because it's logically dumb and cheesy to be randomly throwing yourself on the ground for no reason other than to just confer disadvantage to ranged attacks. That said, what you've said is mildly depressing. Only mildly though.

That said, I think Larian actually did introduce a homebrew rule in regards to prone that I've never actually seen anyone talk about, and it's one addition that I'm in full agreement with: Spells against knocked down/prone opponents that target dexterity saves result in the opponent automatically failing said save, because logically they'd be unable to evade it at all in that state. Or at least this is what I've observed every time I had Shadowheart throw a Sacred Flame at a knocked down/prone enemy.

Although it's possible this isn't an intentional thing and only happens by sheer coincidence due to the coding, because as you've said, prone is treated as unconscious in BG3, and unconscious DOES result in automatically failing dexterity saves in tabletop to begin with. But because I like to have some optimism, I'll treat it as intentional.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 24/02/21 05:21 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks Saito for the original post. I have given about the same kind of feedback when I started, notably on the mechanisms, and I will continue doing so when I finally get round to finishing my feedback (soon, I hope). Like with many others who provided extended feedback, I find there are a lot more points of agreement than disagreement. It could just mean most people on these forums have the same player profile (and this is certainly true to some extent), but I tend to think it also means we are by and large able to see what doesn't work, at least in order to create a certain kind of fun.

And I think it's valuable to explain why something doesn't work, rather than saying "I don't like X" or "please change X to Y". Of course, that doesn't mean that Larian will agree that it is a problem. For instance, as much as many of us can explain how and why the Ranged strategy is over-incentivised, Larian may well think this is great and they want us to go Ranged ... Which is why I've become increasingly in favour of more communication. But as much as there's demand, Larian doesn't seem to want to provide supply for this.

Hoping we'll be able to create great assumptions-free Custom Characters and be given great roleplay options.
There is a mod on Nexusmods for BG 3 called DnD Rebalancing.

Features of DnD Rebalancing
Here you find a list of the features so far.

What I especially like is that Disengange, Jump and Shove got fixed, as well as the automatically failed Concentration checks when going prone.

I am now very curious how the complete Patch 4 notes read, and if the author of the mod will release a new version to work with patch 4.

But as it is now, I really enjoy the mod and it gives BG 3 a much better feel in combats. Sadly the Height Advantage/Disadvantage stuff is not covered by the mod, but lets see what the future will bring.

I just want to add, that I am not affiliated with the author of the mod in any way. But I sure hope many people will try the mod, if only to better give focused feedback on controversial mechanics currently in the game.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard