Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20
Joined: Nov 2020
Banned
Offline
Banned
Joined: Nov 2020
Originally Posted by Nyloth
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Talking about companions' characterization, and having been playing Dragon Age games these last couple of months, i gotta say the banters in BG3 are way weaker than i first thought.

Granted, i haven't played the latter in a while, but if i remember correctly most of them were one/two lines each of awkward flirting. Meanwhile in Origins a talking rock (Shale) could have a string of meaningful discussions with someone who might as well have been a rock (Sten). Dragon Age 2 has the best banters in the series so i'm not even gonna go there, but even freaking Sera and Solas, in Inquisition, have more meaningful conversations than, say, Gale and Shadowheart.

It'll be a very big shame if banters end up not being used to show the different sides of the companion. I mean, i just said i wouldn't go there but screw it, someone like Varric, in Dragon Age 2, is so awesome precisely because his banters help to show us the 'mother hen' he actually is beneath all the bluster.

Again, if i remember correctly, what they're doing with SH and Lae'zel is kind of cool and a step in the right directions, what with them slowly acclimating to eachother by the time we reach the Underdark, but it's kind of a waste that, for the majority of them, all they're giving us are little doses of more of the same.

Take Wyll and Astarion, their interaction is amazing. Or Lae and Shadow. It's like taking Anders and Fenris, unforgettable.

I pretty much listened to all of them and the only ones i like are Gale/Lae, 'cause they actually discuss interesting stuff, and Lae/SH, for the building relationship. The others are just, imo, more of the same (which Lae/SH kind of qualifies too actually, since they're as antagonistic to eachother as they are to the MC), or flirting. Nothing too interesting.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
I hope that our comanions will romance each other, if we dont choose them.
Such small detail incerase feeling of realism. :P


Short coment on my English. smile

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
S
addict
Offline
addict
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I hope that our comanions will romance each other, if we dont choose them.
Such small detail incerase feeling of realism. :P

It’d be interesting to be able to nudge some along as the main character.

Last edited by spectralhunter; 23/02/21 08:48 PM.
Joined: Apr 2013
R
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
R
Joined: Apr 2013
Originally Posted by Arne
Originally Posted by Worm
It makes no sense at all and just comes off as protagsexual.

Haha wink


Originally Posted by Rack
One thing that personally annoys me is the evil characters are so far into chaotic stupid territory

Many games show evil characters as acting basically 'stupid' because it's simply easier and more convenient. It's hard to write a good evil character. You have to come up with good reasons why he acts exploitative or egoistical. You have to take viewpoints which you maybe don't like yourself and don't agree with. You have to challenge your own world view. Many people don't like that.

Take for example Alpha Centauri: Chairman Yang is a brutal dictator - and his faction is one of the best at war and higher difficulties. Or Sister Miriam: She is completely fundamentalist and absolutely devastating with espionage. While the nice and kind UN and Gaians struggle to maintain an army.

Yeah there's definitely a history to it if there wasn't I wouldn't be so tired with it. But these types of games have had evil companions for a while and so few of them are worthwhile it's a huge waste. It's especially weird since anti-heroes in fiction are generally really fun characters. There's so much room for them to be practical and snarky, saying the kinds of things the heroes wouldn't but still would enjoy. Instead it's just wall to wall unlikeable psychopaths and idiots because people might forget they're evil if they aren't being evil 100% of the time.

Joined: Dec 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Dec 2020
Originally Posted by Worm
You know I've come around on using flags for the romances. As it is now you get to the celebration event and everyone wants to bang you, it's really weird. Especially with Lae'Zal who basically says "You'd be up in this only if you agreed with me more". It makes no sense at all and just comes off as protagsexual. Now if we do something like trigger Lae'Zal's romance after the scene with the other Gith it makes a little more sense.

This is also good because we can presumably have friend routes with the characters too. I really don't know if that's in there or not, everyone seems to think of you romantically if you show them a little interest. I'll probably have better formed points when I replay it after the next patch.

There is at least a pure friendship route with Gale. If you don't get the Weave scene or if you don't use any flirt in the Weave scene, he won't come at you during celebrations. He still is a bit jealous with high approval, but it's still a nice friendship road imo.


"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Joined: Jan 2021
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jan 2021
Why wouldn't they be protagsexual? Every part of us is a delight. :-3

Joined: Mar 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I hope that our comanions will romance each other, if we dont choose them.
Such small detail incerase feeling of realism. :P

Agreed. I think there's something about Gale's attraction to Shadowheart that is revealing. I wonder if he isn't telling the whole truth? That perhaps he went in search of the shadow weave and that's why Mystra left? Perhaps Gale is being seduced by those dark eye and is about to walk down a dark path?

Likewise Shadowheart's flirtation with Wyll might tell us something about her backstory? She is attracted to men like Wyll but they always disappoint. Did some brave heroes fail to protect her when she was vulnerable?

Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
S
addict
Offline
addict
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
Originally Posted by BeeBee
Why wouldn't they be protagsexual? Every part of us is a delight. :-3

Haha. I laughed and smiled at this. Well done.

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
I have to admit Minthara has been my most satisfying romance option so far, although I dislike how linear it is.

Joined: Feb 2021
P
addict
Offline
addict
P
Joined: Feb 2021
Originally Posted by Rack
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
Originally Posted by Rack
I'd agree with pretty much all of this. I think a party of misfits can work without a straight man though that archetype definitely makes it work better. Maybe it's forthcoming.

One thing that personally annoys me is the evil characters are so far into chaotic stupid territory I can't see them being played by more than a tiny minority of players. If you only have 9 characters why have 3+ that are almost entirely impossible to work with?

Also having an option to romance Shadowheart when she comes across as a special needs child is pretty creepy.

How in the...How did you come to the conclusion that Shadowheart comes across as a special needs child?

Because that's how she acts at all times? She's a 13 year old goth kid who's really a xx year old half elf and she's just discovered lying and lies like a four year old. She hasn't developed theory of mind yet so she can't think a step ahead to how the other party would respond to the lie or realise how obvious it is. She'll sit there with Shar all over her face saying she didn't take the Shar.

I think you are seriously misjudging that character, first when does she actually lie about anything, she does not tell you everything, but I have not see in any playthrough where she lies. I mean it could have something to do with her memories being wiped? She tends to try and mess with the main character to see how much character he has, like after you have the devil meeting. I don't really see anything "goth" about her at all, and she doesn't broadcast she is even a Shar follower until a few conversations in you finally get it out of her (if you win a dice roll to do so). Usually at the windmill, or if you win the roll in the cave temple near the owlbear.

Not to mention, I think your letting your own preferences jade your view in regards to the companions and the characters when you make comments like "I think a party of misfits can work without a straight man" I mean what the heck does that have anything to do with anything? I think the party is very diverse and has a few characters with varied background. But EVEN IF they did portray her as a "Goth 13 year old", that is a far cry from a special needs child.

Last edited by Pandemonica; 23/02/21 11:18 PM.
Joined: Feb 2021
P
addict
Offline
addict
P
Joined: Feb 2021
Originally Posted by Xeneize
I have to admit Minthara has been my most satisfying romance option so far, although I dislike how linear it is.

Lol cmon, that is because of the cinematics being so saucy admit it. Hell I will. But if they did make her a companion, it didn't have to be so linear. I mean you could have a redemption arc, or where she turns on the group. I mean there is a lot of leeway on how that character could progress.

Joined: Sep 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Sep 2020
Back in BG2 I enjoyed watching Haer'Dalis romance Aerie .

Maybe Astarion can chase after Lae'. That would sure as hell be entertaining to watch !!

Joined: Jan 2021
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jan 2021
Originally Posted by Anfindel
Back in BG2 I enjoyed watching Haer'Dalis romance Aerie .

Maybe Astarion can chase after Lae'. That would sure as hell be entertaining to watch !!


Ehm if you pair up with Wyll, Gale or Shadowheart, Lae'zel will spend the night with Astarion. You can talk to her afterward, and she will tell you that he was an extremely enthusiastic partner.

She's less keen about Wyll's prowess (her choice if you romance Astarion) going so far as to request to stop talking about their night together.

Joined: Jan 2021
member
Offline
member
Joined: Jan 2021
I just want to have a romance encounter end by fading out as she says "Mighty Booyagh!"

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I hope that our comanions will romance each other, if we dont choose them.
Such small detail incerase feeling of realism. :P

It’d be interesting to be able to nudge some along as the main character.
That is whole new level ...
But for some (Astarion) who may seem like "pleasure first, rules second" (Astarion) i could imagine such hedonist (Astarion) approach to sex. laugh
But certainly not all of them! :-/

When i writed that, i had in mind Dragon Age: Inquisition ... there when protagonist dont show interest in certain characters, they are interested with each other instead. smile Love cant be stopped. laugh
It certainly creates funny situations, when two of your male companions are talking about their time spend together, bed included ... and much later in story, when you do quest related to one of those companions, he confess that he is Gay ... i was like "duh bro". laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 24/02/21 08:22 AM.

Short coment on my English. smile

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Apr 2013
R
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
R
Joined: Apr 2013
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
Originally Posted by Rack
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
Originally Posted by Rack
I'd agree with pretty much all of this. I think a party of misfits can work without a straight man though that archetype definitely makes it work better. Maybe it's forthcoming.

One thing that personally annoys me is the evil characters are so far into chaotic stupid territory I can't see them being played by more than a tiny minority of players. If you only have 9 characters why have 3+ that are almost entirely impossible to work with?

Also having an option to romance Shadowheart when she comes across as a special needs child is pretty creepy.

How in the...How did you come to the conclusion that Shadowheart comes across as a special needs child?

Because that's how she acts at all times? She's a 13 year old goth kid who's really a xx year old half elf and she's just discovered lying and lies like a four year old. She hasn't developed theory of mind yet so she can't think a step ahead to how the other party would respond to the lie or realise how obvious it is. She'll sit there with Shar all over her face saying she didn't take the Shar.

I think you are seriously misjudging that character, first when does she actually lie about anything, she does not tell you everything, but I have not see in any playthrough where she lies. I mean it could have something to do with her memories being wiped? She tends to try and mess with the main character to see how much character he has, like after you have the devil meeting. I don't really see anything "goth" about her at all, and she doesn't broadcast she is even a Shar follower until a few conversations in you finally get it out of her (if you win a dice roll to do so). Usually at the windmill, or if you win the roll in the cave temple near the owlbear.

Not to mention, I think your letting your own preferences jade your view in regards to the companions and the characters when you make comments like "I think a party of misfits can work without a straight man" I mean what the heck does that have anything to do with anything? I think the party is very diverse and has a few characters with varied background. But EVEN IF they did portray her as a "Goth 13 year old", that is a far cry from a special needs child.

Thinking a party of misfits can work without a straight man is connected to the OP saying a party of misfits can't work without a straight man.

She broadcasts she's a Shar follower left and right but she doesn't realise that will cause people to realise she's a Shar follower because she hasn't developed theory of mind yet. She approves whenever you say something that isn't true because that's as far as she can understand deception and manipulation. She disapproves whenever you tell the truth because without theory of mind she doesn't understand how that's important to subversion.

So yeah, she's obsessed with darkness and lies and is stupid to an extent that can't really be considered normal for a teen.

Joined: Nov 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Nov 2020
Kinda hate how most of our companions have a "dark secret motive" and will leave/kill the PC to get their goal. Obviously we dont know if this will change or not. But seeing all the comments about Gale and Astarion it just feels inevitable that they're going to be assholes for life.
I'm convinced on my theory about being able to change certain companions outlook through doing tedious "good or bad" deeds/dialogue but without changing them.
But I hope soon we get a chill companion who doesnt need to have a secret to be interesting or cool, just a lil companion who want to be buddies and help.

I also really want to be Wyll and Mizoras third please larian!

Joined: Mar 2015
Arne Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Mar 2015
Originally Posted by A Clown
Kinda hate how most of our companions have a "dark secret motive" and will leave/kill the PC to get their goal. Obviously we dont know if this will change or not. But seeing all the comments about Gale and Astarion it just feels inevitable that they're going to be assholes for life.
I'm convinced on my theory about being able to change certain companions outlook through doing tedious "good or bad" deeds/dialogue but without changing them.
But I hope soon we get a chill companion who doesnt need to have a secret to be interesting or cool, just a lil companion who want to be buddies and help.

It just occured to me that Gale would just have been perfect as some kind of ~Dorian Gray storyline. A mage obsessed with his own beauty and fearful to age.

Joined: Aug 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Aug 2020
WARNING SPOILERS you have been told, don't read if you haven't played through, please.

I just want to start this off by saying I personally have nothing against people's sexual orientation. Please don't take this post as an attack on yourself or anyone else. This posts is purely about the Companions in the game.
OK, with enough positive feelings Gale and Wyll give your male character the opportunity to "romance" them. I feel this goes against their obvious womanizing ways. It doesn't make any sense to me. Where with our favorite vampire it fits perfectly and having the 2 other guys takes away from him.
I also find it a little sad that the only 2 females at this point are "evil" which means to have a "romantic" opportunity players may have to play differently to how they would like to so they can unlock that option.

At Larian, maybe for Gale and Wyll change their sexuality by what the player chooses as there "dream' companion. IE if they have a Male Character and choose a Male "dream" companion then maybe keep Gale and/or Wyll as Bi/Pan?

Joined: Nov 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Nov 2020
I don't think there's anything that states explicitly that they are only straight? Gale has an obsession with a god, and Wyll has a past with a female cambion, but there's nothing locking them to a sexuality?

Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5