Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#758247 21/02/21 04:28 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So I wanted to discuss some things different than the rumblings of current events. Just for fun.

So clerics, some paladins, and even warlocks depend on outsiders for power. Often what is not talked about is that distance is a large factor in determining the magnitude of that power. For example a cleric of a god from Mount celestia is weaker in the nine hells but much stronger on Mount celestia. I doubt Larian will mechanically show this. Avernus is already confirmed as a location for at least the tutorial. Maybe they might show it storywise? Do you think thats a good idea or even possible?

Technically Avernus is harder to get to compared to the shadowfell and the feywilds so I'm going to assume those two are on the table for possible places to travel to in bg3. Shadowfell has maximum Shar influence and the feywilds have blinkdogs. Who doesn't want a blinkdog?

With Githyanki having a strong presence, its almost confirmed that the Astral plane will be partly explorable. I will be devastated if not. Imagine exploring a city made of the leftover corpse of a dead god. Maybe see an astral dragon or two.

The Outer planes, Elemental planes, and Limbo do seem less likely since the death rates are much much higher. Still interesting in my opinion. Githzarai are in Limbo which is the realm of pure chaos. The elemental planes are instant kills without preparation and flexibility. Fire plane burn alive, water plane drown, air plane actually wont instantly kill you but without proper mental prowess you may accidentally kill yourself if you don't establish what is up or down strongly enough and go flying into a wall or something, earth plane straight up has no food or water so good luck.

The Ethereal plane not including the outer reaches could make for very fun and different questlines especially for wizards and arcane spell casters. The ethereal plane is the only place you can't magic your way through. You are basically a ghost as long as you don't go too far and know what you are doing.

Their is also the void. Which funny enough just like the Divinity Original Sin's void but actually more tentacles and worms and just worse in general.

Another cool side note is that magic items are material realm based so technically the further you are from the material realm the weaker magic items become. Artifacts ignore this and it why the are more valuable.

So what places would you like to see in bg3 and why?

Someplaces I skipped over or they may have been retconed. Feel free to add places and lore tidbits. I'm lazy. Sue me.

Aishaddai #759337 24/02/21 09:44 PM
G
stranger
stranger
G
I love the planes, the old Planescape was my favorite game setting. Including all its dense, esoteric systems and weird rules and what-the-hells. Casting spells in Limbo? Good luck!
But these things were a barrier for many, and even people familiar with D&D Forgotten Realms might have a hard time getting comfy in Planescape, including how the planes would alter spells. Larian doesn't strike me as the kind of studio that want to make anyone feel left out of the loop, or ask players to delve deep into exceptions to rules. Least of all in the tutorial part of the game.

I'd love to see another Planescape PC game, but that will never happen, since the setting is now just a backdrop for the prime world settings. But one can dream.

Aishaddai #759343 24/02/21 09:56 PM
Hmm, beat the tadpole at it's own game by visiting your Great Old One patron in the far realms. You want tentacles? We got loadsa tentacles for ya! Mind powers? Yeah! Insanity? Yeah! You sure you want to be inside me while I do this?

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard