Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Neither of your links contradict what @Innateagle said. In DA:O, you can fast travel directly to camp, but only from the world map screen which you can only bring up in certain areas. You have to walk to the physical exits of most areas (e.g., Orzammar, Circle Tower) in order to make use of this fast travel.

It's the BG3 equivalent of having to physically walk to the glyphs in order to teleport from glyph to glyph.

This raises an interesting (to me) solution to the "camp anywhere" problem. If you had to go to a specific point on the map to port back to camp it would go a long way to ration the camping. I would err on the side of putting lots of these spots out there, so that its not a huge hassle, but specific points to reach camp would really help me at least with immersion.

Put some mobs around to create an interesting encounter that must be solved to camp in a new area, and I think it could be pretty fun.

P
addict
addict
P
Neither of your links contradict what @Innateagle said. In DA:O, you can fast travel directly to camp, but only from the world map screen which you can only bring up in certain areas. You have to walk to the physical exits of most areas (e.g., Orzammar, Circle Tower) in order to make use of this fast travel.

It's the BG3 equivalent of having to physically walk to the glyphs in order to teleport from glyph to glyph.
Unless someone can show me a video, I am saying yes you could. It was the M button or hit pause and pull up quest map. there in the upper corner there was a icon of your camp that you could click on. Now there was certain areas, like the Deep roads that you could not use it. But if you were in any of the non dungeon areas you could pull up the map and QT. I am still googling it but every post I have found, states exactly what I am saying.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dwig

This raises an interesting (to me) solution to the "camp anywhere" problem. If you had to go to a specific point on the map to port back to camp it would go a long way to ration the camping. I would err on the side of putting lots of these spots out there, so that its not a huge hassle, but specific points to reach camp would really help me at least with immersion.

Put some mobs around to create an interesting encounter that must be solved to camp in a new area, and I think it could be pretty fun.
Specific points on the map to port back to camp? Like maybe, for example, the glyphs? :P

This would address situations like in the goblin base where you can
Kill Dror, which makes all the goblins hostile, but they don't aggro until you get close enough. But you can just teleport out instead of fighting your way out

P
addict
addict
P

I am all for making it more challenging to camp, but not too challenging or time consuming. If they are going to put a timer on it, or make it to where it takes "X" amount of time to either run that whole way to a stone from a dungeon, than they need to give more quick heals or more stone locations. Or make potions a helluva lot more available. The way the fights are set up, unless you have quite a few stacks of pots it would be more of a hinderance than a blessing. I think it would really turn players off. I do think that it is too easy to go to camp, but it is a balancing act of how available/time consuming it takes.

Last edited by Pandemonica; 24/02/21 11:58 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Pandemonica

Unless someone can show me a video, I am saying yes you could. It was the M button or hit pause and pull up quest map. there in the upper corner there was a icon of your camp that you could click on. Now there was certain areas, like the Deep roads that you could not use it. But if you were in any of the non dungeon areas you could pull up the map and QT. I am still googling it but every post I have found, states exactly what I am saying.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/920668-dragon-age-origins/52960798
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/950916-dragon-age-origins/52176559
https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/d37j85/no_spoilers_looking_for_a_dao_mod_that_allows/
Specifically, in Orzammar and the Circle Tower, you can't directly fast travel to camp. I also remember, in the small town outside redcliffe castle, having to walk all the way back up the hill in order to fast travel.

Now, I'm remembering this for the PC Ultimate Edition. Maybe this was different for consoles..

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Kingmaker was further helped by the efforts of some amazing modders even without official mod tools who basically added in enough extra features that would qualify to be expansions by most standards. Such as the turn based mode that granted the ability to switch between both TB and RTwP at will, even mid combat, that is now an official standard for the series moving forward. Now it enjoys great word of mouth, and the sequel ended up raising more than DOS2 did through Kickstarter somehow.

I haven't been following Kingmaker 2's development but it's nice to hear it's going well. I started playing the first (and am indeed yet playing, game's massive) way after they fixed all its issues and i think it's honestly as close as we can get to a spiritual successor to BG2.

P
addict
addict
P

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/920668-dragon-age-origins/52960798
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/950916-dragon-age-origins/52176559
https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/d37j85/no_spoilers_looking_for_a_dao_mod_that_allows/
Specifically, in Orzammar and the Circle Tower, you can't directly fast travel to camp. I also remember, in the small town outside redcliffe castle, having to walk all the way back up the hill in order to fast travel.

Now, I'm remembering this for the PC Ultimate Edition. Maybe this was different for consoles..

Yeah I remember there were 2 or 3 certain areas you couldn't quick travel, but overall you could. I do remember Deep roads was one of them, and come to think of it Orzammar sounds right too. Which I agree with, if your in a dungeon like say the underdark, you should not be able to. But if your in the open world I really see no issue with it at all. Especially if your in a entirely new area, where you haven't found the stones, and you happen to be in a bad place with higher level npcs.

veteran
veteran
Yeah I remember there were 2 or 3 certain areas you couldn't quick travel, but overall you could. I do remember Deep roads was one of them, and come to think of it Orzammar sounds right too. Which I agree with, if your in a dungeon like say the underdark, you should not be able to. But if your in the open world I really see no issue with it at all. Especially if your in a entirely new area, where you haven't found the stones, and you happen to be in a bad place with higher level npcs.
We seem to be in agreement regarding openworld vs dungeon fast travel. I did always find it odd that DA:O didn't let you fast travel out of Orzammar...

Well, with a qualifier for being in a new area. If you arrived there via enemy/trap teleportation or such (there's no way for you to walk back to a waypoint), then you should have to find a waypoint first.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Innateagle
I haven't been following Kingmaker 2's development but it's nice to hear it's going well. I started playing the first (and am indeed yet playing, game's massive) way after they fixed all its issues and i think it's honestly as close as we can get to a spiritual successor to BG2.

Well it’s not really Kingmaker 2, it’s Wrath of the Righteous, but I’m sure you already knew that. The two games aren’t really connected other than taking place a few months after Kingmaker’s end in the timeline.

The common perception among beta testers is that it’s shaping out to be better than Kingmaker in almost every way, like it’s very obvious the devs learned from all of their design mistakes from the first game. One of which was the lack of unique gear for weapon types that the companions didn’t specialize in, so there’s way more gear for less used weapons this time around, some of which are good enough to make whole builds around PoE2-style. Also a lot more accessories besides the usual rings of protection and natural armor amulets. The only common major complaint is the crusade system, which is probably the most incomplete aspect of the game right now.

Being in the beta test myself, the pacing is really different from Kingmaker. There’s barely any downtime in the story, and there really isn’t a central hub area like in Kingmaker either. It’s a big journey throughout. Chapter 4 in particular comes way out of left field and is unlike anything I’ve seen in any recent RPG in general, and I would hope the city of Baldur’s Gate could have a similar scale once we get there in BG3.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 25/02/21 12:36 AM.
P
addict
addict
P
We seem to be in agreement regarding openworld vs dungeon fast travel. I did always find it odd that DA:O didn't let you fast travel out of Orzammar...

Well, with a qualifier for being in a new area. If you arrived there via enemy/trap teleportation or such (there's no way for you to walk back to a waypoint), then you should have to find a waypoint first.

Oh yeah totally agree.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
DOS 2 is a severed flawed game and I could never understand how it got that much praise.

I hoped that BG3 would be created based on the originals mechanic rather DOS 2, which was not the case.

Larian is not listening to feedback and my fear is that they continue to do so, as they did in DOS2 EA.

If changes were not made in the first 6 months of EA development, chances are that we will not see many changes going forward.

I just re-read the third line and now I’m interested to hear what you’re referring to there. I never actually took part in DOS2’s EA, so I don’t know what the big pre-release issues were then.

D
addict
addict
D

I am all for making it more challenging to camp, but not too challenging or time consuming. If they are going to put a timer on it, or make it to where it takes "X" amount of time to either run that whole way to a stone from a dungeon, than they need to give more quick heals or more stone locations. Or make potions a helluva lot more available. The way the fights are set up, unless you have quite a few stacks of pots it would be more of a hinderance than a blessing. I think it would really turn players off. I do think that it is too easy to go to camp, but it is a balancing act of how available/time consuming it takes.

Restrictions on camping would also be a good thing to put in the difficulty settings of the game.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
DOS 2 is a severed flawed game and I could never understand how it got that much praise.

I hoped that BG3 would be created based on the originals mechanic rather DOS 2, which was not the case.

Larian is not listening to feedback and my fear is that they continue to do so, as they did in DOS2 EA.

If changes were not made in the first 6 months of EA development, chances are that we will not see many changes going forward.

I just re-read the third line and now I’m interested to hear what you’re referring to there. I never actually took part in DOS2’s EA, so I don’t know what the big pre-release issues were then.
Im not read his mind for sure, but on steam was 2 big hot topic, about armour system and turn base combat system. People said that this is not true divinity, because dos1 was realtime. and that armor is bad idea (dos1 was without armor) and Larian should change this. But they not changed anything. And now this is game with 95% positive feedback. So this can be a good question, are they did something wrong?

journeyman
journeyman
My worry is this is all we ever get, we never get to the final game.

If that happens, the next worry is this doesn't have anything to do with Baldur's Gate except the title.

Joe

Online Happy
I worry that at the end game, in the final moment, my character will wake up from a dream in her pod aboard the mindflayer ship and that we are just in this continuum loop while the mindflayer study our brain ...

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a bit, you realize the pig enjoys it.
old hand
old hand
My biggest worry is that the game will fall flat on its face story- and character-wise in Act III, like Original Sin 2 did (and still does, in my opinion, though not as badly after the rewrites). Hopefully Larian has learned from past mistakes, but their talk about the game being bigger than they expected, and the slow pace of updates, isn't very comforting...

Well, a lot of people share my worries, who would've guessed...

I just hope they add the Githzerai subrace into the game (They labeled Githyanki a race in the character creation, when they are a subrace from Gith. I'd love to go Githzerai Monk when the time comes, La'ezel dialogue would be too fun if we don't slaughter eachother immediately in the intro smile )

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by S2PHANE
Well, a lot of people share my worries, who would've guessed...

I just hope they add the Githzerai subrace into the game (They labeled Githyanki a race in the character creation, when they are a subrace from Gith. I'd love to go Githzerai Monk when the time comes, La'ezel dialogue would be too fun if we don't slaughter eachother immediately in the intro smile )

I'd like to see Githzerai too. This is actually a place where I would like to see Larian modify 5E though, because I dislike the Githzerai stat block in 5E (no dexterity bonus!)

M
M
As others already mentioned, I think DOS2's first half is brilliant as you have many options and choices both during exploration and combat, but i was only able to finish the second half with mods, as i realized battles started to be tedious and tacticwise repetitive, and i felt the need to tweak the rules to be able to keep playing. Due to high level number bloating, armor system and combats turning into teleportation-fest i kind of lost interest along the way, the effect of these started to kick in after approx 30-40 hours into the game and i realized im actually trying to avoid the combat i enjoyed so much at the beginning. This also affected our coop play, we unfortunately lost interest with my party.

Though mods made me finish my single playthrough, there were frustrating times as not all of the mods were getting updated with the game and occasionally broke the immersion anyway, given its really hard work to make them fit with the games systems seamlessly. So it would be nice to have rule tweaks at least to have built in by the devs.

I hope BG3 will keep up tension and the tactical feel as I play, i already like a lot of gameplay additions they made compared to DOS2, but something currently feels off with pacing and combat, making me think its a long way still to make the game as exciting, various, tactical as it could be based on the foundation they have. At the moment i dont feel the gameplay loop is that tense and exciting once you get the hang of using the same basic tactics with all chars, as it could be with some small changes. In combat we already have a lot of unique actions and spells (Larian is always really good at this part) which is really nice, but action economy and need for different tactics feels off, it gets tired fast. Given camping is spammable any time, it also adds weightless moments where the really good narrative would suggest a more uptight scenario. Thankfully this is still early EA and i think Larian learned from their mistakes.

I know this is all subjective but there is definitely a not-negligeble portion of players who wants more challenge or more authentical rules, I hope Larian monitors these things carefully (and possibly will give us the option to test and feedback some changes to rest/combat to some extent) and at some point they plan to introduce different game modes so players have some rule customization options at their disposal.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Long rest is kind of bland mechanicwise atm and doesnt support narrative urge or encourage proper preparation and use of different skills for encounters. My biggest worry is that the devs cannot change that due to it being tied to story.

Last edited by mtlkcs72; 25/02/21 08:59 AM.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard