Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32
old hand
old hand
Among many other things, the rest system needs to be improved and limited in its uses.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
I do think it's probably C, but I don't think it's quite as bad as you fear. Limiting where and how often the player can long rest is probably end state of balancing. Throwing mass testers into a fire pit of no long rests with uneven difficulty and continual changes to the balancing is probably a bad time for Larian. It makes sense for them to remove all limitations on resting for the beta, gather data (not from forums mind) on how players respond and then implement the resting limitations at or near 1.0.

veteran
veteran
There needs to be both many more resting restricted areas, and long rest enabled areas. For local resting.

Using the same camp for long rests during an entire act will always prove troublesome, as the party is expected to somehow teleport that distance. It gets more silly the further you travel.

Going to sleep in a surface camp while deep in the Underdark is already immersion breaking and silly in EA. And no, having a really convenient teleportation network everywhere you go to explain this is not the answer. The teleportation system breaks immersion even more since it's obviously there only for gameplay convenience and doesn't make sense in the context of the game world.

A big part of adventuring IS setting up camp in dangerous locations with possible consequences, and looking or securing a safe place to rest.

Why can't we rest in the fortress or in the village in the Underdark? Why can't we rest in abandoned camps or in the Blighted Village after securing a house, or clearing the entire village? Or in the safe areas, Druid Grove or Tiefling camp?

There are so many exciting and logical places to have a long rest in! The pocket dimension camp is boring and weird in comparison.

veteran
veteran
I think that Larian's long term plans for the "long rest system" is basically to not give a fuck and keep this half-assed abortion of a system we have currently.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Banned
Banned
Man, i just hope they don't keep it as it is, i'd forgotten how bad it is. As things stand, coupled with how buggy the companions are, it means that before even reaching the grove one must long rest twice, once to get SH's first chat and then again for Gale's mirror dialogue. Jarring as all hell, especially considering the plot.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
I think that Larian's long term plans for the "long rest system" is basically to not give a fuck and keep this half-assed abortion of a system we have currently.
Even if ...
Why not? If you dont have enough self-moderation to not use something that makes you mad, its kinda your fault.
And if you do, you dont have any isue with that option being able often than you use it. O_o

I dunno, personaly i keep engaging fights without spellslots, since i simply forgot to rest. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 27/02/21 09:26 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
M
M
Of course, bad game design doesn't exist. It's always just the player's fault. /s

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Even if ...
Why not? If you dont have enough self-moderation to not use something that makes you mad, its kinda your fault. laugh
Because it’s garbage as far as mechanics go?
and better alternatives wouldn’t even need to be figured out, they could just copy from better games.

Also, I hardly ever rest unless absolutely necessary, but that doesn’t change the fact that “Don’t like it? Don’t use it” is trash as an argument.
And making a mechanic meaningful ahold rely on self-restraint and some make-believe head canon about pretending the flaws aren’t there.

This, of course, even trying to ignore that ignoring the rest system currently comes with its own set of issues, like the fact that in my last play through I hardly experienced any companion story progression precisely because off my habit of not resting very often

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by 1varangian
There needs to be both many more resting restricted areas, and long rest enabled areas. For local resting.

Using the same camp for long rests during an entire act will always prove troublesome, as the party is expected to somehow teleport that distance. It gets more silly the further you travel.

Going to sleep in a surface camp while deep in the Underdark is already immersion breaking and silly in EA. And no, having a really convenient teleportation network everywhere you go to explain this is not the answer. The teleportation system breaks immersion even more since it's obviously there only for gameplay convenience and doesn't make sense in the context of the game world.

A big part of adventuring IS setting up camp in dangerous locations with possible consequences, and looking or securing a safe place to rest.

Why can't we rest in the fortress or in the village in the Underdark? Why can't we rest in abandoned camps or in the Blighted Village after securing a house, or clearing the entire village? Or in the safe areas, Druid Grove or Tiefling camp?

There are so many exciting and logical places to have a long rest in! The pocket dimension camp is boring and weird in comparison.

Really strong points, I’ve argued the same myself but less eloquently. I hope the resting system will change but it would seem Larian have locked themselves into the whole camp interactions/cinematics system so I can’t see it changing. It’s another convenient mechanic for the casual player and one that won’t bother most.

Those of us who want to experience the sensation of undertaking a perilous adventure; finding a safe place to rest in the wilds, exploring a city at night, the excitement and relief of finding an inn in a settlement, etc., are finding these things sorely lacking in BG3.

addict
addict
I've said this before, but I'll say it again, I'm absolutely sure that the "resting area" is tied to acts. In second act, we will have something new (I hope). Perhaps in the future we will have some kind of permanent "base"?

Originally Posted by 1varangian

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
veteran
veteran
Because it’s garbage as far as mechanics go?
Now, now ... look whos talking about quality of arguments. -_-

and better alternatives wouldn’t even need to be figured out, they could just copy from better games.
That is exactly where you are wrong ...
It wouldnt need to be figured out so the game works as YOU want ... but it would need to be figured out for others. O_o

There are people who are resting aftere every encounter, since they simply want to ... and since Larian is gathering our gameplay data, i dare to presume that they know much better than we do how often are most people resting.
I presume not even you would expect them to tune game for minority. wink

Also, I hardly ever rest unless absolutely necessary
Me neither ...
Usualy when characters starts talking about needing rest i still have at least half resources unused. :-/

And to be honest i mostly dont use it not bcs i have some "rule" in my head, but bcs its much more fun to keep exploring world, than to go through the same speech i have seen allready dozen times ... laugh

but that doesn’t change the fact that “Don’t like it? Don’t use it” is trash as an argument.
In my point of wiev, i traded quality for quality ...
What better did you people showed to support your opinion than "its suppose to be that way by rules this is based on, even if that dont follow them litteraly" or "i dont ike it" ? O_o

And making a mechanic meaningful ahold rely on self-restraint and some make-believe head canon about pretending the flaws aren’t there.
The point is that keep it as it is satisfy everyone ... except extremist that demand their restrictions as it seems. :-/

You want rest? You can.
You want rest later? You can.
You dont want to rest at all? You can.

Everyone happy.

I honestly believe that rest system will be adjusted, but not until all classes will be ingame ... and not until they gather enough data to see if there is any who really desperately need them more or less often.
From my point of view, so far it seem that Clerics needs them most.

This, of course, even trying to ignore that ignoring the rest system currently comes with its own set of issues, like the fact that in my last play through I hardly experienced any companion story progression precisely because off my habit of not resting very often
In that case you ignored your characters that was demanding rest.
Your choice. :P

P
addict
addict
P
Even if ...
Why not? If you dont have enough self-moderation to not use something that makes you mad, its kinda your fault.
And if you do, you dont have any isue with that option being able often than you use it. O_o

I dunno, personaly i keep engaging fights without spellslots, since i simply forgot to rest. laugh

Bravo +1

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
Bravo +1
Seems like you are rather fond of every single shitty argument or video in blind defense of this game, for some reason.

Last edited by Tuco; 28/02/21 03:36 AM.

old hand
old hand
I think and hope that right now the system is incomplete. Even costing a food resource would be better than what we have right now as then there would be an opportunity cost and a place in the world for food and goodberry that is not combat.

veteran
veteran
No, I'm not? Stating it boldly doesn't make it a fact.

It wouldnt need to be figured out so the game works as YOU want ... but it would need to be figured out for others. O_o
There are people who are resting aftere every encounter, since they simply want to ... and since Larian is gathering our gameplay data, i dare to presume that they know much better than we do how often are most people resting.
That's basically just gibberish.
And "How much people are resting" now is irrelevant, when the problem is precisely that the game is currently WAY too permissive with how much you can do it.

What better did you people showed to support your opinion than "its suppose to be that way by rules this is based on, even if that dont follow them litteraly" or "i dont ike it" ? O_o
...What?
Also, there's no hard rule about how to adapt the rest system from pen & paper to videogame format, so trying to imply that any complaint about the current dysfunctional form of the feature is a matter of fanaticism toward the original rulebook is comically misguided at best.

The point is that keep it as it is satisfy everyone ... except extremist that demand their restrictions as it seems. :-/
Ah yes, "extremists". Is this another attempt to play that hilarious "silent million" angle?

You want rest? You can.
Everyone happy.
You don't understand how game design work. Not even specifically for "videogames" but for games in general. A game is defined by his rules and restrictions.
Imagine "Let's play Monopoly. But every few minutes you'll be free to decide if you want to add to your bank 100,000 $ or not. It's up to you".

"Demanding" (very sparsely) to rest without giving you any actual reason to do it given that there's absolutely no penalty involved is rather pointless, isn't it?

Last edited by Tuco; 28/02/21 03:52 AM.

old hand
old hand
Um, also forgot to mention, if they add way more areas where you can not go off and rest, like the Hag's home, that would also be a big help to restricting Rest, so that there are opportunity costs like progress in a dangerous location when you need to rest. And I'd probably add a third short rest, which would be on the upper end of short resting but would incentivize away from long resting in general before accounting for restrictions.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 28/02/21 03:56 AM.
veteran
veteran
No, I'm not? Stating it boldly doesn't make it a fact.
Oh yes, you are ... and if you would bother to read whole sentences, you also find out why. wink

That's basically just gibberish.
And "How much people are resting" now is irrelevant, when the problem is precisely that the game is currently WAY too permissive with how much you can do it.
Once again, you show that ugly habit of confusing therms "irrelevnat" with "irrelevant for myself only".
Not to mention that other ugly habbit of simply deny every argument by the "i have patent for being right" pose. frown How did you say that? "Stating it boldly doesn't make it a fact."

It is not irrelevant tho ...
If you want to determine how often should people be allowed to rest, first you need to find out how often they are resting ... it should not be any surprise that group made of Battle Master, Tief, Warlock and Druid ... wil need much less long rests than group made of Wizzard, Cleric, Eldrich knight and Arcane Trickster. smile

When you realize that, you should be able to deduce that first you need to implement all classes and specializations ... then you can start gathering data on how much are they actualy reliant to resting system ... and THEN (and only then), you can start figuring out how to restrict your resting system, so your game is still playable and enjoyable for every single class or specialization. :P
EA is suppose to be work in progress (see what i did there? laugh ), we are simply not there yet.

...What?
Also, there's no hard rule about how to adapt the rest system from pen & paper to videogame format, so trying to imply that any complaint about the current dysfunctional form of the feature is a matter of fanaticism toward the original rulebook is comically misguided at best.
What what ... quality for quality? Its common expresion in my language, it means that im only willing to try as hard as you seem to.

Or did you missunderstand the rest?
That was just comentary on you not liking my argumens, and concidering them weak ... since, all you showed so far its "its suppose to be as i say, bcs its suppose to be like it" that is not much strong argument either. :-/

There you are right, there are not rule about adaptations ...
But as i stated abowe (and in other words in previous post) Larian simply dont have needed data curently.

Ah yes, "extremists". Is this another attempt to play that hilarious "silent million" angle?
Dunno, i have no idea what that is.

You want rest? You can.
Everyone happy.
You don't understand how game design work. Not even specifically for "videogames" but for games in general. A game is defined by his rules and restrictions.
Imagine "Let's play Monopoly. But every few minutes you'll be free to decide if you want to add to your bank 100,000 $ or not. It's up to you".
It seem to me like you dont understant how game design work ... especialy in "early acess" or "still in development" state of that game. O_o
I would not claim that im anyhow experienced in this myself, i only know some people who are working in this business for couple of years now and im talking to them from time to time about it ... no personal experience tho. :-/

But seeing that example, i believe you nailed it:
Yes, that is how Monopoly were made, when its creator was wondering what funds should players have at start of the game, or what funds and how often are suppose to being added, or removed from his bank ...
In other words, that is how you play Monopoly Early Acess ...

And you record few millions of that games simultaneously ...
Then you gather your data and determine when and how many $ should players get and when. wink

"Demanding" (very sparsely) to rest without giving you any actual reason to do it given that there's absolutely no penalty involved is rather pointless, isn't it?
I think i detected contradiction ...
First you claimed, you missed some story since you didnt rest. Now you claim that resting is pointless, unless you are penalized for "not resting".

Can you please decide before we continue? O_o
Either you want that story, therefore you have point ... or you dont, therefore you dont rest, but also dont mind that you missed some story. O_o

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/02/21 08:47 AM.

veteran
veteran
You are purposefully wasting people's time and rambling random stuff at this point.
Half of your arguments aren't even actual arguments, but convoluted, roundabouts ways to claim that everything is matter of opinions. The rest is nonsense.

Once again, you show that ugly habit of confusing therms "irrelevnat" with "irrelevant for myself only".
No, it's just irrelevant to the point at hand in general.But we are going in circles here.

What what ... quality for quality? Its common expresion in my language, it means that im only willing to try as hard as you seem to.
Or did you missunderstand the rest?
Uh, this isn't about misunderstandings. it's more the fact that the grammar of your entire sentence was hilariously broken from start to end. And if I can tell it even as a non-native English speaker I have to wonder what sort of mess it must sound like to an English/American user.

It seem to me like you dont understant how game design work ... especialy in "early acess" or "still in development" state of that game. O_o
No shit it's Early Access. So?
What does it change? Do you fail completely to grasp the idea that an early access player can implicitly just judge what's there and the ridiculous futility of suggesting that any feedback should be held back until the game is finished?

Can you please decide before we continue? O_o
I don't "need to decide" anything. There's nothing indecisive about what I stated and I made a perfectly clear point. Your reading comprehension is just failing you.

Last edited by Tuco; 28/02/21 09:13 AM.

veteran
veteran
You are purposefully wasting people's time and rambling random stuff at this point.
That is litteraly impossible ...
If you feel like you are wasting your time here, then i have surprise for you ... being here, talking here, wasting time here, as you say ... all that is your doing, not mine. wink

Half of your arguments aren't even actual arguments, but convoluted, roundabouts ways to claim that everything is matter of opinions. The rest is nonsense.
I have the same feeling. smile
Was this sentence suppose to be example of valid and good written argument? O_o

No, it's just irrelevant to the point at hand in general.
Bcs you said it?
I dont see any example of valid and good written argument to support any other claims. O_o

But we are going in circles here.
Naturaly!
Why would you expect me to react differently on the same stuff? laugh
You repeat > i repeat ... simple as that. smile

Have you ever heared about definition of insanity? Its doing the same thing over and over, and expect different result. wink

Uh, this isn't about misunderstandings. it's more the fact that the grammar of your entire sentence was hilariously broken from start to end. And if I can tell it even as a non-native English speaker I have to wonder what sort of mess it must sound like to an English/American user.
Well, by all means i can write you in my language and you can use translator yourself, if you think that would make more sence ...
FE.: Co se mě týče, můžu ti klidně psát vlastní řečí a nechat tě ať si to překládáš sám, jesli ti to tak vyhovuje víc ...

Also, when we are talking about understanding english ... do you understand this: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=boardrules&v=1 ?
Especialy theese:
- We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
- Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users is not welcome.

No shit it's Early Access. So?
What does it change? Do you fail completely to grasp the idea that an early access player can implicitly just judge what's there and the ridiculous futility of suggesting that any feedback should be held back until the game is finished?
Once again ... read whole sentences. :-/
I told you specificly what does it change, i even used your own example to make it easier to you ... none of it will work, while you are closing eyes, stuffing your ears and yell: LALALALALALALALALA. smile It takes at least two to make conversation.

suggesting that any feedback should be held back until the game is finished?
I never said that.

I don't "need to decide" anything. There's nothing indecisive about what I stated and I made a perfectly clear point. Your reading comprehension is just failing you.
If your point was not taken ... its was obviously not so perfectly clear as you think ...
Also i never claimed that you "need to decide" so i dont quite understand those quotation marks. O_o
I simply asked you to state your point ... politely, i would add.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/02/21 09:48 AM.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
RagnarokCzD and Tuco.

Kindly knock it off. You have both made your points, and have now drifted into willy-waving territory.

Page 4 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard