Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ankou Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Like create bonfire for druids or toll the dead or just a lot of really basic, common, and popular spells?

G
addict
addict
G
I haven't looked at the available spells yet, but it could be related to the fact that the two you mentioned are not from the Player's Handbook.

Ankou Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I know it almost certainly is. But my feedback and suggestion is they should include them. It would be stupid not to.

old hand
old hand
Nope, they're from Xanathar's.

Ankou Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yeah, I mean I know for certain it is (the reason they aren't in this build yet). In other words, I was responding to the supposition that it was related to them not being in the PHB. Then for further context, that is the reason why I go on to say despite that, my feedback is they should still include them.

Last edited by Ankou; 25/02/21 11:57 PM.
old hand
old hand
Mmm... lots of spells, subclasses and stuff I hope they bring in from the other modules, but they've said many times that they will stick to PHB and then include "some other things". So with some luck, they'll add some popular stuff from other modules too.

Ankou Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Spells are so basic, relatively speaking, I think it would be silly not to do all of them.

G
addict
addict
G
Toll the Dead is pretty simple, since it just deals damage once. Most spells aren't that simple, though - they're going to involve creating status effects or summoning a thing or future interactions. All of those are things that need to be stress tested in combination with all of the other things in the game. So, there is a question at some point of whether adding a new spell is worth the effort, particularly if it is similar to something else that already exists. (I'm not saying that it is or isn't worth it in any given case).

Another consideration is decision fatigue. Having too many options when you are picking spells to learn (or cast) can be frustrating for some players. There is probably a sweet spot for how many spells should be available to provide enough variety but without making decisions overwhelming. There are ways to mitigate having too many options, but their effectiveness is going to vary from player to player.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
I would love to see them bring in items from supplementary material, but there is power creep to watch out for too. I suspect Larian's probably going to add in anything supplementary last.

For many classes, the later subclasses make the original ones in the PHB look like an absolute joke.

Last edited by Topgoon; 26/02/21 12:56 AM.
Ankou Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Sorcerer was always a joke. Tasha's just shows what a normalized not garbage sorcerer looks like.

veteran
veteran
Can anyone help me understand what for do we need "create bonfire" in this game?
I completely understands its usefullness in tabletop, but here? O_o

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Can anyone help me understand what for do we need "create bonfire" in this game?
I completely understands its usefullness in tabletop, but here? O_o

It is an ok damaging spell that goes off of saving throws, so if your firebolt has a low chance the bonfire might have a better one. In BG3 it likely could be implemented to do a 5ft square so it'd be a tiny aoe but would have the situational chance to hit multiple targets. And if larian wanted a cantrips that could ignite flammable things or create a surface, Bonfire would be the cantrip.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/create-bonfire

Generally more options are better and I advocate for adding everything from the Main players guides. (PHB, Xan, Tash, and maybe Volos or Swordcoast)

Last edited by CJMPinger; 26/02/21 01:36 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
The spell I am mostly missing is Spiritual Hammer for Clerics.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
In BG3 it likely could be implemented to do a 5ft square so it'd be a tiny aoe but would have the situational chance to hit multiple targets.
That is actualy interesting idea ...
I was only thinking about ignition of wood. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard