Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nyloth
Originally Posted by AntZet
Dear developers, it would be great if game had a change of day and night.
This opens up additional possibilities for gameplay:
With coming of night some additional monsters or bandits could appear in open world. It would be easier to kill someone.
Well, and it would make more sense to take elves to play with their ability to see in dark.

They have already openly said that they will not do this. Why raise the issue again and again if it clearly won't change their minds.

How do you know it won't change their mind ?

They said this before a lot of players asked for a D/N cycle and before they sold 1.000.000+ copy of the game.

Thinking this wouldn't add a great value to the game is being blind. The same Larian's employee during this same AMA also said that D/N in their games is something he's thinking all the time.

There are suggestions here about it and they probably have more money than expected. This would be a great feature for their games to raise at a higher level and they probably know it.

It's their decision to change their mind or not and they hadn't say anything like "we won't change our mind about D/N".

Last edited by Maximuuus; 09/04/21 11:23 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
With coming of night some additional monsters or bandits could appear in open world. It would be easier to kill someone.
Well, and it would make more sense to take elves to play with their ability to see in dark.

They have already openly said that they will not do this. Why raise the issue again and again if it clearly won't change their minds.

They said this before a lot of players asked for a D/N cycle and before they sold 1.000.000+ copy of the game.

Thinking this wouldn't add a great value to the game is being blind. The same Larian's employee during this same AMA also said that D/N in their games is something he's thinking all the time.

There are suggestions here about it and they probably have more money than expected. This would be a great feature for their games to raise at a higher level and they probably know it.

It's their decision to change their mind or not and they hadn't say anything like "we won't change our mind about D/N".

They have already said that this is a huge amount of work. That's how I know it. Who told you that all this 1,000,000 ppl wishes for a cycle of day and night? That's right, you can't know that. Some ppl dont care. If they have more money, they are more likely to spend it on something else. I think if they were in doubt, they wouldn't say it directly.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
enthusiast
enthusiast
Then why did they announce it themselves as a stretch goal for their previous crowdfunded games ? Minimally, this implies someone at Larian shares the idea that D/N would make their games better. Given they themselves stated that they broke their own expectations in terms of EA sales for BG3, it is not unreasonable to ask if perhaps these extra sales could finally allow them to implement D/N in their games.

So please, a lot of people would like a day/night cycle, no need to be condescending toward others because your opinion conflicts with theirs.

Also if you claim others "can't know that" it would help if you refrained from pretending to know yourself what Larian would or should spend their money on.

Last edited by SerraSerra; 09/04/21 03:22 PM.
veteran
veteran

They have already said that this is a huge amount of work. That's how I know it. Who told you that all this 1,000,000 ppl wishes for a cycle of day and night? That's right, you can't know that. Some ppl dont care. If they have more money, they are more likely to spend it on something else. I think if they were in doubt, they wouldn't say it directly.

That's not what I said but if I'm sure there are probably not 1.000.000 players that want a D/N cycle... I'm pretty sure there are 1.000.000 players that wouldn't be offended if there were one.

But it doesn't matter.
You can "think" what you like. So do I, and so does AntZet to whom you said his whishes are useless.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 09/04/21 03:29 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
I feel like Larian said that it'd be a huge amount of work to implement a day/night cycle where all NPCs and enemies have different routines/dialogue/etc during day vs night.

It is much simpler to implement a day/night cycle that is mainly cosmetic. Except for perhaps
-some NPCs simply aren't available (they're sleeping). Removing NPCs from the map is much easier than given them a whole new routine
-stealth is easier. This can be a global modifier where enemies have shorter vision cones or disadvantage on perception checks. Or just properly account for creature's level of darkvision, which is already in the game
-add a few night-only enemies here and there. Wolves, vampires (at higher levels), maybe more goblin guards to be on alert against nighttime attacks

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
I feel like Larian said that it'd be a huge amount of work to implement a day/night cycle where all NPCs and enemies have different routines/dialogue/etc during day vs night.

It is much simpler to implement a day/night cycle that is mainly cosmetic. Except for perhaps
-some NPCs simply aren't available (they're sleeping). Removing NPCs from the map is much easier than given them a whole new routine
-stealth is easier. This can be a global modifier where enemies have shorter vision cones or disadvantage on perception checks. Or just properly account for creature's level of darkvision, which is already in the game
-add a few night-only enemies here and there. Wolves, vampires (at higher levels), maybe more goblin guards to be on alert against nighttime attacks

+1. Also to balance the benefits off the night (stealing, trespassing, + to stealth checks) it could be nice - and perhaps not too hard - to implement a kind of night-watch/guard system aka flaming fists, angry druid-novices on guard, town-watch which spawns/guards/patrols the area while the others are 'sleeping' or away.

They could have an escalating system where they first warn, and eventually attack the party or PC depending on the crime they commit. Given the current pandemic, for instance, it would be sensible for the druid grove to enforce a nighttime curfew to avoid an 'enemy within' to open the gates. Hence, depending on what you do at night (sneaking around vs. getting caught red handed while stealing) you get a warning and option to talk yourself out of it, while repeated offenses and crimes result in fines, or guards aggro...

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I would like resting and camping to be more time sensitive. If a long rest is the end of a day then players should see things changing as each day passes. When I go to the Grove, for example, after long resting I should hear different conversations instead of always seeing the same people having the same conversations etc. I think that would be REALLY nice.

+1 by the way to mrfuji and serra

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

yeah ,as usual we are going to repeat just stuff already discussed in the past, but that's pretty much the same conclusion reached even back then.
In short "Fine Larian, doing it flawlessly may be too much, but what about giving us just the fucking basics? We'll close an eye on its shortcomings".

Also, another thing that was already discussed is precisely how to address the "multiplayer issue" with a day/night cycle:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=94314&Number=728467#Post728467

Once again the general consensus was that there were plenty of viable solutions that could put to rest most of the worries (see thread linked).

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Did we ever agree on how we wanted Larian to implement Day/Night?

In other words, based on a recent idea I had for long resting, I thought instead of Larian having to implement a lot of changes to limit long rests, they could make it so that there are certain prerequisites that are required. One of the prerequisites I was thinking of would be that in order to use a long rest you must first use up both short rests. I won't go into that too much here on that because I spelled it out in the megathread about camping, but I was thinking that we could apply this concept to this topic.

If Larian makes it so that players have to use both short rests before using a long rest, then maybe they could make it so that if they use two short rest then it becomes night. Then it makes more sense to long rest because it is now night already.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by SerraSerra
Then why did they announce it themselves as a stretch goal for their previous crowdfunded games ? Minimally, this implies someone at Larian shares the idea that D/N would make their games better. Given they themselves stated that they broke their own expectations in terms of EA sales for BG3, it is not unreasonable to ask if perhaps these extra sales could finally allow them to implement D/N in their games.

So please, a lot of people would like a day/night cycle, no need to be condescending toward others because your opinion conflicts with theirs.

Also if you claim others "can't know that" it would help if you refrained from pretending to know yourself what Larian would or should spend their money on.

If what you say is correct, and they had it for a stretch goal in previous crowdfunding games, that pretty much tells you it is not going to happen here. That is basically telling you they have tried in previous games, and it was too much of a pain in the ass. Personally, I could care less either way about day/night. But I do have an issue with any long rest restrictions.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well, I was thinking that since they reworked the beach crash scene with night ambiance that maybe they were rethinking it and possibly going to try to do a day/night thing.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Well, I was thinking that since they reworked the beach crash scene with night ambiance that maybe they were rethinking it and possibly going to try to do a day/night thing.

That was game engine animation. When you notice that you can actually control your character it is daylight. I am thinking it is an issue with game play day/night for whatever reason. I saw that as well. Or who knows, maybe they are working on it now saving it for launch. There really is no way to tell at this stage.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well, we can suggest, I guess and hope. smile

S
addict
addict
S
This has probably been suggested before but forgive me if I won't read through the dozens of posts in this thread (just adding my voice I guess): There could be specific 'time-phases', e.g. morning, afternoon, night, and these only progress to the next phase when a short rest is done.
Let's say you just finished a long rest. Its morning now; you do a short rest, then it's afternoon. You do another short rest, then it's evening/night. At this point, you do a long rest, and the cycle repeats.

There is no passing of time in real-time, which eliminates the problem of time progressing differently in multiplayer for each player due to turn-based mode/real-time mode. This could be a good compromise between no day/night cycle at all, and a fully fleshed out cycle with real-time progression.

The game would need to force you to do both of your short rests before you can do your long rest with this system, but I think that's acceptable.

Edit: Even though I understand little about game development, I do understand that implemeting a day/night cycle, even at it's most simplest form, will be a lot of work from the development team, and it will be time consuming and it will cost money. I do however think that the benefit gained would be huge, for the reasons many others have stated before.

Last edited by Sigi98; 04/06/21 09:29 PM.
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by SerraSerra

Whether they announced it as a stretch goal or not in the previous games, considering they did not actually integrate is kind of their answer.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Sigi98
This has probably been suggested before but forgive me if I won't read through the dozens of posts in this thread (just adding my voice I guess): There could be specific 'time-phases', e.g. morning, afternoon, night, and these only progress to the next phase when a short rest is done.
Let's say you just finished a long rest. Its morning now; you do a short rest, then it's afternoon. You do another short rest, then it's evening/night. At this point, you do a long rest, and the cycle repeats.
It isn't about timing. If they built their engine from the ground up, rather than say starting and customizing Unity or Unreal, if they have no integrated the cycle in the bones of the engine, it is extremely difficult to do later in development. For instance, I am working in Unreal, and it has it already in the Skybox. But my guess is, they have a completely custom engine like CDPR does, and this has just been one of those things that has been a PITA to integrate. That is why I think the will end up simulating it as an instance of BG to give night missions.

Originally Posted by Sigi98
The game would need to force you to do both of your short rests before you can do your long rest with this system, but I think that's acceptable.
I am not for ANY mechanic that artificially dictates my play time, or how I play. So I would be completely against forcing someone to complete short rests before long rests.

Last edited by Pandemonica; 04/06/21 10:47 PM.
veteran
Online Content
veteran
There's no "engine limitation" that prevents a day/night cycle.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Tuco
There's no "engine limitation" that prevents a day/night cycle.
And what is YOUR experience working in game engines? Just curious?

veteran
veteran
I'm not sure the system (re-)suggested by Sigi would require to force you to take your short rest before your long rest.

Couldn't the game skip the middle cycle to go from morning to night if the player click the long rest button ?

And who stated that long rest is only during the night ? I'm not sure how it works/will work but does the camp dialogs/cutscenes absolutely need to be at night ? (For technical reasons ? Story reasons ? Idk).

Short rest could maybe pass 1 cycle while long rest would go 2 cycles further. I'm not sure there's engine limitation for D/N cycle... But I'm close to sure that devs that want a D/N cycle in their game can be creative. It shouldn't be that hard, everyone has a D/N cycle, even games far less polished than BG3.

Night instance for quests would really suck. It looks cheaper than anything else to me... Especially if the night quests arrive after 50 hours without night gameplay.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 05/06/21 12:40 AM.

P
addict
addict
P
Short rest could maybe pass 1 cycle while long rest would go 2 cycles further. I'm not sure there's engine limitation for D/N cycle... But I'm close to sure that devs that want a D/N cycle in their game can be creative. It shouldn't be that hard, everyone has a D/N cycle, even games far less polished than BG3.

Night instance for quests would really suck. It looks cheaper than anything else to me... Especially if the night quests arrive after 50 hours without night gameplay.

I am not saying D/N is a bad thing, or it shouldn't be in the game. Honestly, I think it would be nice to have it. But it won't interfere with my playing or enjoying the game any less. I was just explaining to Sigi98, that depending on the engine, it can be complicated. Especially when it is a custom engine, where game engines like Unreal or Unity, they have HUGE staffs of engineers working on the next gen of their engine. Larian more than likely doesn't have that. The previous engines also have huge communities that make addons to sell, Larian doesn't have that.

A perfect example of engine limitation is SWTOR. They bought a license for the Hero engine, then edited so much, that even the engineers from the supplier couldn't help them update it. All their original engineers that edited the engine, are gone. Just a bunch of new kids working on it now. With, as the rumor goes, has very limited inline notes in the edits, which when you are coding is essential for future modification or even debugging. Now, the MMO is kind of screwed, they have reached a dead end where they cannot pass with their modded out Hero Engine (Hero engine sucks anyways, not sure why they chose it to begin with).

I mean look at the past, they even said they would like to have a D/N cycle as a stretch goal for DOS, never happened. They are using the same engine but a little juiced up, so logically, I am thinking this is an issue for them. Not to mention, the more content they put in the can, the harder it is to integrate it. That is something that is easier done before all the work they have put into the construction of the game. They even came out and straight up said "there will be no day/night cycle".

Personally, I rather think that given that history, it is more than likely a technical issue. Maybe they are working on it and will launch it as a surprise in live, or not. But it is just annoying when posters act as though game engines are this limitless thing that of COURSE can do it, they just...I don't know choose not to do as a big screw you? I mean does that even make sense? It would also be nice if people are going to make statements about game engine capabilities, I don't know, maybe have some experience working in a game engine.

Last edited by Pandemonica; 05/06/21 01:09 AM.
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard