Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Alodar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Wildshaped into cat form and was encumbered immediately as my character was carrying 42 pounds of gear and cats only have a 3 Strength.

This is unlikely the intended behaviour.

Alodar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I confirmed this behaviour on a different play-through.

Divested myself of inventory, after I Wild-shaped into an encumbered cat, and once I got below 30 pounds of inventory I was no longer encumbered.

The cat form is substantially less useful if you have to play inventory shuffle every time you Wild-shape into that form.

veteran
veteran
Nice, do you have any idea how to fix it?

At least now I know I have to become a bear if I want to loot everything.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
D
D
Yeah, I think WSd druids should just keep the same limit as in their humanoid form.

Alodar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Nice, do you have any idea how to fix it?

Give cats an attack that does 1 damage but doesn't key off an ability score.
That way they can have 12 strength and it wouldn't affect their damage.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
An easier fix, that would be more in line with how druid is supposed to function in 5e would be to disable inventory completely while shifted and treat it as if you had an empty inventory, as when a druid shapeshifts the items they have on their person fuses into their new form and becomes a part of them until they return to normal.

L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by Zaxtaj
An easier fix, that would be more in line with how druid is supposed to function in 5e would be to disable inventory completely while shifted and treat it as if you had an empty inventory, as when a druid shapeshifts the items they have on their person fuses into their new form and becomes a part of them until they return to normal.

+1 - I’m surprised they didn’t implement this already

old hand
old hand
Ya same problem, also wtf is the point of wildshaping into the same animal that is a familiar?

Last edited by fallenj; 04/03/21 12:07 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

Seems an ez solution, but its not gamewise. As you allready read, some people have to play inventory shuffle because of the low strength at Cat. So i you going to be realistic as in 5E Rules and items are fused into characterform, then you are true to rules but one more step to itemshuffle. Even more so i say you are limiting yourself in what items that druid is carrying at all times in his inventory to not start itemshuffle beforehand, meaning before you change into Animalforms.

Thereby, a good compromise is giving animal form a free to go inventory without limiting to a n animalform but give animal the Druids STR Attribute and having more fun in the game. But Attacks should not be bound to STR of Humanoid form and be like a special attack, just for the sake of having fun in game and not restrict the flow of the game. So a cats attack is weaker then a bears form.

The inventory managment is allready a big task and slows down everything. So dont make it much worse.
A game needs to have more pieces of fun then beeing totally true to some rules. Then it will tread the golden path of the middle, whatever... laugh

Last edited by TheHero; 04/03/21 12:41 PM.
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by TheHero
Seems an ez solution, but its not gamewise. As you allready read, some people have to play inventory shuffle because of the low strength at Cat. So i you going to be realistic as in 5E Rules and items are fused into characterform, then you are true to rules but one more step to itemshuffle. Even more so i say you are limiting yourself in what items that druid is carrying at all times in his inventory to not start itemshuffle beforehand, meaning before you change into Animalforms.

Thereby, a good compromise is giving animal form a free to go inventory without limiting to a n animalform but give animal the Druids STR Attribute and having more fun in the game. But Attacks should not be bound to STR of Humanoid form and be like a special attack, just for the sake of having fun in game and not restrict the flow of the game. So a cats attack is weaker then a bears form.

The inventory managment is allready a big task and slows down everything. So dont make it much worse.
A game needs to have more pieces of fun then beeing totally true to some rules. Then it will tread the golden path of the middle, whatever... laugh

I can understand it may be difficult for them, but there are other games that have already done the tactic I suggest, such as pathfinder kingmaker. Though the suggestion to hard code specific damages into every form rather than just adjusting the strength could also be difficult for them as it seems they plan for the druid to have a wide variety of forms throughout the game and slowly gain them as they level. Honestly, as just players without access to their code, we wouldn't know.

I wish they just had a thumbs up, but this is the ideal method. If you are wild shaped, you can't switch inventory because it's part of your body. You would need to shift back to switch things out. This would be the logical approach.

veteran
veteran
I played Kingmaker but I never transformed to an animal so I do not know how they did it.

First of all, each creature has one or several attacks whose damage has nothing to do with the stats.
So the description of an attacks says it causes 2d6 damage, thats it.
I guess the hit chance depends on your stat though.

Druids seem to get more powerful animals over time.
I hope rangers do the same, else their lv3 animal companions will be useless later.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Madscientist
I played Kingmaker but I never transformed to an animal so I do not know how they did it.

First of all, each creature has one or several attacks whose damage has nothing to do with the stats.
So the description of an attacks says it causes 2d6 damage, thats it.
I guess the hit chance depends on your stat though.

Druids seem to get more powerful animals over time.
I hope rangers do the same, else their lv3 animal companions will be useless later.

I don't know about 5e but Ranger animal companions are suppose to level up with you but at half your level round down I think it used to be. So at 3rd level in 5e you get your pet which makes him level 1 and at 4th he should be level 2. With druid out now looked like the pets got a revamp but I haven't hit level 4 to see if the pets get leveled up also.

Edit* Truthfully if they don't go that route, I'll drop the class like a hard rock. Generally the only reason I would play one is for the pet.

Last edited by fallenj; 04/03/21 11:56 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard