Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Zellin Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
How it works at the moment:
Only those who started the fight and are well aware of each other's presence are entering the turn-based mode. Rest of the party and the world keep working in real-time.
How I suggested before and am trying to insist that it should work:
Whole area and all party-members are entering the turn-based mode, if someone started the fight. All party-members should roll for initiative as soon as the fight starts.

On PH2 Swen drew some attention how he splitted the party, entered the fight only with one character far-far away from others and then could run to help that character with another without "losing" turns. And that was his example on how the current scheme of work is helpful. Youtube stream recording with Swen's explanation at 1:58:47. To be honest I nearly felt personally addressed, cause I didn't see anyone else criticizing the scheme (ofc, maybe I just missed those posts). So here I'll try to bring all my arguments and lure others into the conversation.

First let me say that I highly doubt that anyone would leave their party members so far away not for demonstration or exploit purposes. But I would like to see some comments from other players on the matter. Maybe someones playing style is all about scattering the party around the map.

Second here are my examples on how the scheme makes it harder from playing experience in BG3, DOS1, DOS2 (single player and coop):
1. A few enemies are in a room. One more enemy is patrolling the area, entering the room once in a minute. It takes 1-2 turns for me to kill those few, that's supposed to be equal to 6-12 seconds. But even if I started the fight right after the patrolling enemy left the room, it's more likely that he will enter the room again during the fight and alarm the rest of the area. That's because in a turn-based mode my turns do not really last 6 seconds each, I'm controlling each character one by one and waiting for enemies to do their turn one by one, while the patrolling enemy walks at his normal speed.
2. There are a few enemies, who can be approached in stealth from different angles, and that's exactly what I'm doing. My first character to engage gets his initiative roll appropriately. After that I need to switch to each one of the rest of my characters to get them engaged, they are now considered to be late for the fight and forced to skip their first turn. That doesn't feel even partially fair, they were right there and prepared for the fight. Why are they late for the fight?
3. Me and my pal are playing DOS2 on the highest difficulty, we are preparing for some fights: drinking potions, approaching in stealth and so on. Each time we are forced to start with very precise coordination and a countdown, otherwise one of us may stay out of the fight with buffs ticking at real-time speed.
4. Me and my pal in DOS2 trying to walk together everywhere to experience everything together, but delegating certain tasks. For example I'm the one who does all trading and potions managing. So we tend to be a few meters away from each other, but not the whole map away from each other, being able to see each other and what's going on. It happens that one of us is late for the fight and placed at the end of the queue just because of a slightly bigger distance than the distance that triggers the turn-based mode.

I’m perfectly ready to trade getting rid of such annoyances for not being able to act in real-time with some characters while others are in a turn-based fight. And even if there are many players that are enjoying it as it is, I can imagine some compromises like allowing the player/players to decide if the whole party engages or not, while "pausing" for the initiative roll.

P
addict
addict
P
I use this all the time, for instance, you can place your ranged out and use a rogue as bait. Once he gets aggro he can cover the most ground/turn to lead the group into an ambush.

Zellin Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
I use this all the time, for instance, you can place your ranged out and use a rogue as bait. Once he gets aggro he can cover the most ground/turn to lead the group into an ambush.
You shouldn't have problems doing that with the whole party in the turn-based mode, If I understood right what you're doing. Your ranger is standing doing nothing isn't he? So he's not utilising his ability to act in real time. And your rogue chased by enemies runs to the ranger, isn't he? So he's not in real-time at all.
I'm talking about quite the opposite situations here, try to read more carefully, please (not intended as offence).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zellin
First let me say that I highly doubt that anyone would leave their party members so far away not for demonstration or exploit purposes. But I would like to see some comments from other players on the matter. Maybe someones playing style is all about scattering the party around the map.
They dont need to be so far ...
That happened just bcs Swen wanted to show us that he will deal with Hag solo with his druid ...
When i approached Hag, i had all my party prepared just there in that gate, stealthing ... then they sneak inside and attacked her one by one.
Bcs its effective as hell, Hag had almost half HP gone before her first move.

Im not quite sure if that is conciderable as exploit,
personaly i see more exploits in that you can lock her in chat ... and while she is waiting for your talking character to choose his reaction, you can sneak behind her, and showe her down.

2. There are a few enemies, who can be approached in stealth from different angles, and that's exactly what I'm doing. My first character to engage gets his initiative roll appropriately. After that I need to switch to each one of the rest of my characters to get them engaged, they are now considered to be late for the fight and forced to skip their first turn. That doesn't feel even partially fair, they were right there and prepared for the fight. Why are they late for the fight?
I believe i know answer for this one ...
If you sneak them to battle properly, you are able to attack from real time - world ... that is your first attack you are skiping otherwise ... pretty powerful tho since all your characters are attacking at same time and NPC have no way to defend themselves against it (except AC and saving throws ofc.).
And if you dont, well that is your price to pay, when you decided to try to use this approach ... not sure, but i take it as they are simply surprised. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/02/21 08:10 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Zellin Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
They dont need to be so far ...
That happened just bcs Swen wanted to show us that he will deal with Hag solo with his druid ...
When i approached Hag, i had all my party prepared just there in that gate, stealthing ... then they sneak inside and attacked her one by one.
Bcs its effective as hell, Hag had almost half HP gone before her first move.

Im not quite sure if that is conciderable as exploit,
personaly i see more exploits in that you can lock her in chat ... and while she is waiting for your talking character to choose his reaction, you can sneak behind her, and showe her down.
You know? I watched the video, I know what and why happened. And that's irrelevant. I'm not talking here about the most clever ways to kill the Hag, I'm talking about the system involved in Swen's attempt, which he praised a bit in the video (I gave the link), and how so far for me and one another person that system was more a source of frustration, than a helpful thing.
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I believe i know answer for this one ...
If you sneak them to battle properly, you are able to attack from real time - world ... that is your first attack you are skiping otherwise ... pretty powerful tho since all your characters are attacking at same time and NPC have no way to defend themselves against it (except AC and saving throws ofc.).
And if you dont, well that is your price to pay, when you decided to try to use this approach ... not sure, but i take it as they are simply surprised. :-/
No, you don't know the answer, because you didn't understand the question and should read how "surprise" works.
Player characters, who's looking right at their enemies from stealth, cannot be surprised, and they are not surprised. They just start living at different time pace the moment one character attacks and even if NPCs are surprised player characters will be forced to skip the first turn, because again the game considers them as ones, who joined the fight later. They can attack from their stealth, ofc, like in your example with the Hag, but then they won't have their opportunity to fully utilise all their points (action, bonus action...). They attack, they are getting flagged as "ones, who joined the fight", as well as "ones, who are slightly late for the fight" and will be allowed to act more only on the next turn. You technically get the same exact situation if you leave the party around a corner and start the fight with just one character. If you'll bring the rest of your party, they'll start with skipping one turn. That's more or less fair, they really wasn't there when the fight started. In the case 2 I described in OP post I'm talking about player characters, who are sometimes nearly breathing in a neck of an engaged NPC, but they'll still skip the turn, because we can't tell the game that all of our characters are going to engage and should join the turn-based mode simultaneously.

Last edited by Zellin; 28/02/21 07:52 PM. Reason: typo
veteran
veteran
I think whenever you are hiding or not, Turn Bases buble should work normally - even if enemies don't know of your presence you should roll initiative and only act within their turns. Having characters in hiding act in real-time not only is too easy to exploit, but also just feels wrong. In my playthrough, I also had issues without summons not joining combat - I assume it had something to do with them being spotted.

I think allowing players or character far away act independently in real time is good, but they need to join combat zone if they get within striking range - stealthed or not stealthed.

veteran
veteran
See, this is the reason i usualy quote only sentences i react on ...
Instead of whole posts.

But I would like to see some comments from other players on the matter. Maybe someones playing style is all about scattering the party around the map.
I do ... especialy for encounters that i expect to be toughter ...
Hag, Githyanki patrol, Dror Ragzlin, Minthara, Kagha, Zevlor, Zarys(Zentharim leader?), Flaming Fist, Boulette, etc. etc.

Usualy my character goes to talk, and my companions are hiding all around, in case something went wrong. I admit that it dont play well for me allways ... for example with mage it was source of many deaths. laugh
And yes i know that is not litteraly "around the map" ... but i dare to presume you get the picture.

First let me say that I highly doubt that anyone would leave their party members so far away not for demonstration or exploit purposes.
You know? I watched the video, I know what and why happened. And that's irrelevant.
Maybe unnecesary harsh reaction ...
But lets say i was kinda confused when you mentioned something, as you now say irrelevant, with word First in this format. O_o

I'm not talking here about the most clever ways to kill the Hag
Me neither, it was just coincidentally the same encounter ...

I'm talking about the system involved in Swen's attempt, which he praised a bit in the video (I gave the link), and how so far for me and one another person that system was more a source of frustration, than a helpful thing.
And im expresing my agreement with Swen ...
Since i also use this system, i like its benefits and i concider it a helpful thing.

No, you don't know the answer, because you didn't understand the question and should read how "surprise" works.
Well, i have my boubts that any rules will have written specific and unchangeable version of how to handle this specific situation ... but if you insist ... i did. smile (this one)

Player characters, who's looking right at their enemies from stealth, cannot be surprised, and they are not surprised.
And i still think your character can be easily surprised ... he expected to sneak uppon the enemy, enemy noticed thim, therefore he is surprised. O_o
Also its still just "you may see it as" reaction ... if you want your character to act in his first turn in this situation, you would quite often need to run back in time. :-/

They just start living at different time pase the moment one character attacks and even if NPCs are surprised player characters will be forced to skip the first turn, because again the game considers them as ones, who joined the fight later.
Agreed.

They can attack from their stealth, ofc, like in your example with the Hag, but then they won't have their opportunity to fully utilise all their points (action, bonus action...). They attack, they are getting flagged as "ones, who joined the fight", as well as "ones, who are slightly late for the fight" and will be allowed to act more only on the next turn.
Well ... technicaly theyr oppourtunity to fully utilise all their points might be extend beyond that turn they are skiping ...

Of course, if we are talking here about ... dunno, Cleric for example, that can Attack (action) AND Heal (bonus action) in same turn, then yes you are right ... to let him join fight "a bit later" as you corectly call it might be a bad tactical decision ... unless he is far enough to not join battle when he cast (cant remember now if you can cast Aid, Bless and such in stealth, but presume you cant) yet close enough to join it sooner than his buffs will be gone.
Yet i still dont think that is mistake of system. :-/

But if we are talking here about rogue for example ... run around whole battlefield like a rabbit (since you have unlimited movement, as long as you stay hidden, wich alone is incredibly powerfull), apply poisons (with unused bonus action), maybe even defuse some traps that will make combat harder ... and then buffed and prepared joining action with attack ... well, that is undoubtly beneficial.

You technically get the same exact situation if you leave the party around a corner and start the fight with just one character.
Agreed.

If you'll bring the rest of your party, they'll start with skipping one turn. That's more or less fair, they really wasn't there when the fight started.
If we focus on that Hag encounter ...
Its much more unfair for NPC undoubtly.

Since i was able to stealth my rogue on one high ground, druid on second high ground, and mage on third high ground ... while cleric was keeping her occupied by combat ... this advantage i would gladly trade for one turn without blink of an eye ...
Especialy if you also get your attack so all you efectively loose is one bonus action (two is rogue is Tief). laugh

(Also if you do the same while they are talking, you dont even need to bother with stealth ... you can simply walk there, turn off all light sources, pull the switch and "save" Marina before the battle even starts, she would not talk to you unless Hag is dead ofc, but you an also shove the Hag while she is talking ...
Same situation, different location ... when you are talking in Underdark tower with Bernard(i think that was his name), rest of your party can walk, loot, and even fight the others ... Bernard and your talking characters are just in different dimension, ignoring all the world around them.
)

In the case 2 I described in OP post I'm talking about player characters, who are sometimes nearly breathing in a neck of an engaged NPC, but they'll still skip the turn, because we can't tell the game that all of our characters are going to engage and should join the turn-based mode simultaneously.
The question here is not where your PC is starting the fight ... but where would it start the fight if he would join the fight "regulary", meaning side by side with others ...

If that is closer than two turns, you made bad tactical decision to let him join later.
If that is farer than two turns, you made right tactical decision to let him join later.
Of course both concidering that you want to trade one bonus action for multiple turns movement. smile

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/02/21 01:40 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
I agree. I had posted something similar on Steam. It is a video game and all, but so unrealistic. I had started a fight, discovered that 1 member was stuck on the other side of the map. I was able to have that character do all sorts of things before joining combat while everyone else remained frozen in time. Made no sense.

The only way to reconcile is to think of it as you can only control 1 group at a time. So in real life, you might maneuver Gale into a fight from the south while Lae'zel from the east and your main from the north and Wyll from the northeast. In real life, they all move at the same time. Since you can only control 1 in real time, you might have to move Lae'zel, get her into the fight, then your main, then Wyll, then Gale, all in real time 1 after another. Doing this in Turn-based would be real slow and clunky.

So if you are a realist, don't abuse. If not, yeah, you can totally abuse it. Its up to the player.

old hand
old hand
Except even if we don't abuse it the AI will still work by this system, as Zellin (I think) outlined.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Zellin Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by GM4Him
The only way to reconcile is to think of it as you can only control 1 group at a time. So in real life, you might maneuver Gale into a fight from the south while Lae'zel from the east and your main from the north and Wyll from the northeast. In real life, they all move at the same time. Since you can only control 1 in real time, you might have to move Lae'zel, get her into the fight, then your main, then Wyll, then Gale, all in real time 1 after another. Doing this in Turn-based would be real slow and clunky.

So if you are a realist, don't abuse. If not, yeah, you can totally abuse it. Its up to the player.
You can get same exact effect if you don't start the fight with Lae'zel before you get Gale and Wyll in their positions. And if you do it that way it would benefit from enforcing the turn-based mode on Gale and Wyll, instead of current system, because they won't skip their turn (what they would do now as I was explaining to Ragnarok above).
And Dexai noticed right: the part of the problem that AI is abusing this system as well.

D
D
Thank you. I'm not alone. This system is an exploit you can't opt out of using. And even if you try to stay ohnnest. The AI doesn't care.

For this reason I abandoned positioning my party members during dialogs. What the point? When you are not the first in initiative, enemies start running around notising stealthed party members.

The buble that pulls you in combat, should be much large than it is now (at leest 200 feet larger). And it absolutely must pull in every single character, no matter whether they even can fight.

old hand
old hand
I would say no and keep it how it is, this would give more freedom of choice for the people coming in late. But the big problem is additional actions going into combat that has already started.

For example:

I have all my characters stealthed I move the gith female close to the edge where she can be seen and do her super jump (str characters can jump farther than what they can move and this will let them get closer to enemies before rounds start). Now that I have my combat starter character setup I can now act with my other characters in real time while everyone is frozen in place.

Bombs, spells, and abilities that would kick you out of stealth will do there feature like intended going into combat. So say I have Gale shoot a fireball into the characters already in combat, the fireball will apply its damage and Gale will roll initiative and act on the next turn.

Abilities that you can continue to stay stealthed in Ranged weapons (maybe melee for rogues), this is where the game breaks. You can stay stealthed attack into combat and you character will roll for stealth again if he is successful you can continue to keep attacking. Generally just keep spamming ranged attacks into the combat scenario as fast as you can until you cant.

I doubt this will be changed, but the removal of ability use going into combat will fix this problem. You shouldn't be able to spam attacks throw bombs or whatever else in real time before battle. Your characters are late to the fight, this should be a punishment. They should roll initiative and have to wait a round.

A additional problem is say you use a rogue for the starter, instead of the Gith jumping in to start the battle use say a rogue and spam attacks in the beginning till combat starts. Once it starts everyone rolls initiative and surprise round starts, so the rogue gets to act AGAIN before everyone else.

Edit* A better solution would probably have people not chained stay in real time while people that are chained together join the fight at the same time.

Last edited by fallenj; 28/02/21 05:35 PM.
D
D
Originally Posted by fallenj
Edit* A better solution would probably have people not chained stay in real time while people that are chained together join the fight at the same time.
This won't work in most cases. If you are sneaking around to ambush enemies, most likely you unchained your characters.

Bombs, spells, and abilities that would kick you out of stealth will do there feature like intended going into combat. So say I have Gale shoot a fireball into the characters already in combat, the fireball will apply its damage and Gale will roll initiative and act on the next turn.
Except if combat started because of a dialog and your character didn't roll the highest initiative you are now in situation when your real time party members have to use there ability faster than AI notises them. What we are geting is your real life reaktion time affecting gameplay in a TURN-BASED game.

G
addict
addict
G
My personal preference would be fairly simple:
-If one character is in turn-based mode, the whole world is in turn-based mode.
-Dialog is considered turn-based mode.
-If one character is in initiative, the whole world is in initiative.

It's a turn-based game. We can ignore that when wandering around and doing things that don't really care about timing. But as soon timing matters for a character, anyone or anything that could possibly affect them also needs to be on the clock.

I'm not suggesting that the UI needs to actively track every person in the world, but definitely all of the characters (wherever they are) should be in turn-based mode and any NPCs and monsters in the world that are not close enough to matter should default to stopping instead of continuing to walk around.

veteran
veteran
I'm with Zellin and grysqrl on this one

I don't like trying to manage two time flows at once within the same combat/situation/party. It's just bizarre that you can be on one side of the invisible wall and the clock is ticking normally, and on the other side time is frozen and parsed out into 6 second intervals.

I think the problem is compounded because of all the various ways in which time doesn't really exist, or gets suspended in different ways for different characters. Obviously this isn't the only place where that crops up, but its pretty pronounced. I feel like the party should share the same timeflow at all times. One character shouldn't be able to slow it down, while everyone else is continuing at the 'normal' pace unless there is chrono-magic at work. Even if the "normal" pace of the hourglass is pretty illusory anyway in this game. I don't like it how it splits like that, just because one person is sneaking about or whatever.

Its one of those features where the game can't seem to decide if it wants to be a party based game or a single player game, and the compromise they settled on just feels a bit weird.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 28/02/21 07:48 PM.
addict
addict
Yes, yes and triple yes ! I mean that not about the proposed solution in the OP, but about the problem. With some exaggeration, I'm nearly not interested in what the final rule should be, but this is a problem, and it should be fixed.

To be honest I nearly felt personally addressed, cause I didn't see anyone else criticizing the scheme (ofc, maybe I just missed those posts).

I have done so here, but now that you mention it, I don't think I saw it being raised that often. I seem to recall someone mentioning it right after the Panel From Hell 2 (ah!, found it, here, in the OP), but it's hard to search for this particular issue, as there are no strongly associated keyword. I'm more than happy to increase the visibility of this, because I find this super important. Just one thing though, I'm wondering if the current thread title is the best way to describe the issue. Perhaps it would be better phrase as something like "party members not drawn-in when a fight starts", or something (perhaps not). Niara described it as "the locked-in-initiative vs. not-in-initiate abuse". Not sure it's the best name for this issue. Anyone with ideas, please chip in.

Anyway, I'd be quite happy for this thread/issue to get noticed ... although :

On PH2 Swen drew some attention how he splitted the party, entered the fight only with one character far-far away from others and then could run to help that character with another without "losing" turns. And that was his example on how the current scheme of work is helpful. Youtube stream recording with Swen's explanation at 1:58:47.

This exploit/mechanism does allow players who are in trouble to bring in reinforcements, even though this situation is probably not going to happen that often for a normal player. It also does prevent players from performing ambushes. Larian seems to think that this is cool or useful. What can I say ? I couldn't disagree more. I think what is lost is far greater than what is gained.

So ... is there any use explaining why this mechanism is wrong ? Is there any use still requesting for any kind of change ? I don't know. But here's what I once said to explain why this is wrong. (At least, I'll spare my energy ...)

Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Currently, I have the greatest difficulties in doing a very simple thing : ambushes. That is to say, I want all of my team to have a turn before any single enemy can take a turn. It might be that the current mechanisms are sorely lacking, that some bugs are to blame, or that I'm stupid and didn't figure out how to do it (these alternatives are not mutually exclusive).

A character on their own can easily-enough take up to 3 actions before enemies can do anything (a shot before combat is official, an action during the first round with surprised enemies, and a third action if they got first place in the initiative track). But as soon as I have more than one character, some enemies will sometimes play before some of my ambushing characters ! In what is possibly my worst example, I wanted to ambush Gimblebock's group. Lae'zel fired an arrow. Thanks to the use of Sleep, the 4 enemies proceeded to play 2 fulls turns before the game would give me a chance to do anything.

This is an extremely frustrating experience. When achieving such a simple thing is so hard and my attempts sometimes result in diametrically opposite effects, I feel something is very wrong.

Surprise.

What are the rules for creating surprise ?

Sometimes I manage to surprise enemies, sometimes not. And I can't really tell why.

I would tend to say that a neutral creature who can perfectly see me walking around, but has no reason to suspect that I will attack, should not be on their guards and thus should probably be surprised.

I would tend to say that a creature who cannot see me and receives an arrow should certainly be surprised. (Whether that creature was neutral or hostile, it does not matter.)

Yet, that doesn't seem to happen systematically.

Who gets surprised ? Why is it not everyone or no one ?

Sometimes, not all enemies are surprised.

Example : I ambushed a large group of hostile creatures who couldn't see me (in the hall of Priestess Gut, with the goblins having turned hostile). When the fight started, some got surprised (those close to the target of my first arrow), but some didn't.

Suggestion : if one enemy is surprised, they should all be surprised.

How come a party member can be surprised when I am the one triggering the fight ?!

This has happened to me a couple of times. Needless to say, it makes my palm fly to my face. In fact, it might be at the top of my Epic Facepalming Scoreboard. This make zero sense. As in, absolute-zero sense.

I wrote earlier that I'd like my party members not to behave like free-riders when somebody is talking. I would also like them not to be completely utterly incompetent. If we discussed a plan to ambush the enemies, and they don't have 3 in Intelligence, they should remember our plan by the time the first person to act triggers combat, as per the plan.

Out-of-combat party members, joining the fight.

When a fight starts, all party members should be in the fight immediately.

At the beginning of a fight, some of my ambushing companions are included in the fight, some are not. Some enemies then get to play before the party members that were included in the fight. I have wait until the turn of one of those, then select an out-of-fight character, and only then can they finally throw their ambushing arrow.

This is part of a family of situations (a family which is way toe large) where the way things turn out in the game can be miles away from what I meant to do, not because of ball rolls or any other sort of randomness, but because of the UI or mechanisms. This case might not be the most blatant one, but it's pretty close to the top. And it's never a good thing.

I cannot tell the criteria for who is included in the fight or not. I hope that this does not have anything to do with the chaining : unchaining is the only way to dispatch the group in some specific locations, and the current combat inclusion mechanism should not penalise us for doing something that we are forced to do given the (poor) controls you gave us.

Below are other remarks, but they all become mostly irrelevant if it is simply made impossible to have out-of-fight party members, which I very much hope will happen.

When there is a party-member in a fight, the rest of the world should be turn-based.

Examples of ridiculous situations that otherwise arise :

- My squishy warlock comes across a bugbear assassin, while the rest of the party is still near a tiefling smith. Combat starts. Oh no, poor warlock ! Wait. My mistake. Not a problem at all. The rest of the team can finish their shopping, pick up a free meal and come to reinforce my warlock at a leisurely pace, since the rest of the world is not turn-based and the combat is on hold so long as my warlock doesn't play.

- A rogue who didn't get noticed at combat start can circle the whole battlefield and come in from behind an enemy for the sneaky backstab, in what would have taken 5 rounds.

Transition from turn-based mode to fight mode.

If I have activated turn-based mode before a fight, I would very much like all my team to have their turn before the fight starts. All of them. My party's turn should not be interrupted by the world or combat.

Companions walking into a fight and missing a turn.

When an out-of-combat companion enters the fight, they lose their first turn.

If have selected an action before the fight (typically a ranged attack), they lose the rest of their turn (bonus action and movement). Even if they end up being ranked after my "currently playing" character in the initiative track, they don't have a turn when it should be their turn (i.e. when the active creature progresses to where their portrait is in the initiative track).

Everything would be way simpler if everyone was drawn in the fight at the same time.

Some summarising suggestions.

- If a fight starts and at least one enemy is surprised, then all enemies are all surprised.

- If a party member is included in a fight, then they are all in the fight.

- If I trigger a fight by an attack-like action, the character who triggered the fight is automatically first in initiative among the members of my team.
-- If the enemies don't have the Surprised status, then all my team is grouped in the initiative track and will thus play before any of them.
-- The action or bonus action that I used to trigger the fight is counted as consumed. Otherwise said : my first action was part of the fight and the fight continues from that point, with the guarantee that all my teams plays first.

I'm not guaranteeing I still agree with the suggestion I once made. But the point remain : it should be possible to plan an ambush.

The "out-of-combat = real time" rule and "not all party member are drawn-in when a fight starts" issue interact in really terrible ways.

veteran
veteran
Didn't mean to sound like I disagree. I fully agree that when combat starts, ALL party characters should be pulled in even if all the way on the other side of the board. If you left them far away and got into battle, they shouldn't be able to go shopping, at some cake, leisurely walk up, position just right and get a free attack.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dastan McKay
This won't work in most cases. If you are sneaking around to ambush enemies, most likely you unchained your characters.

Originally Posted by Dastan McKay
Except if combat started because of a dialog and your character didn't roll the highest initiative you are now in situation when your real time party members have to use there ability faster than AI notises them. What we are geting is your real life reaktion time affecting gameplay in a TURN-BASED game.

I'll start here with the basics of d&d 5e for Surprise round.
Surprise
A band of adventurers sneaks up on a bandit camp,
springing from the trees to attack them. A gelatinous
cube glides down a dungeon passage, unnoticed by the
adventurers until the cube engulfs one of them. In these
situations, one side of the battle gains surprise over
the other.
The DM determines who might be surprised. If neither side tries to be stealthy, they automatically notice
each other. Otherwise, the DM compares the Dexterity
(Stealth) checks of anyone hiding with the passive Wisdom (Perception) score of each creature on the opposing
side. Any character or monster that doesn’t notice a
threat is surprised at the start of the encounter.
If you’re surprised, you can’t move or take an action
on your first turn of the combat, and you can’t take a reaction until that turn ends. A member of a group can be
surprised even if the other members aren’t.

-copy/paste of the free pdf on 5e rules page 72.

First quote: It would work, first group starts battle, additional groups come in stealthed? make a stealth check vs enemies perception. It would work as if you tried to make a stealth check and hide mid combat. Either way your late to the fight and don't get to act till next turn, roll initiative and welcome to the fight.

Second quote: What are you even talking about, you quoted a example of me explaining how the game is currently for non-ranged characters...yeah

Anyway my post was in favor of keeping the two since Larian seems fond of the idea and tried to adjust it so it was less broken.

D
D
First quote: It would work, first group starts battle, additional groups come in stealthed? make a stealth check vs enemies perception. It would work as if you tried to make a stealth check and hide mid combat. Either way your late to the fight and don't get to act till next turn, roll initiative and welcome to the fight.
Current implementation of the game doesn't allow for ambushing party to enter combat simultaneously. And they certainly should be able to. Especially cause, by RAW, if the fight breaks out, everyone rolls initiative.
Your solution to use chaining as a criteria to determine who is in combat is incomplete. Because if you are creating an ambush you most likely split your party to surround the enemy.

Second quote: What are you even talking about, you quoted a example of me explaining how the game is currently for non-ranged characters...yeah
I'm talking about your ability to throw that fireball. Which is dependant on characters in combat to be frozen outside of their turns. The only way to guarantee that Gale would be able to do this is if it is your turn in combat. If it's not your turn, enemies start runing around, notice Gale, and pull him into combat. But if you have high enogh APM you can prevent this. Such behavior would be fine in realtime with pause, but not in a turn-based game.

How to resolve surprise isn't the point of this discussion. Moment at which creatures roll initiative - is. Initiative is rolled when timing of events becomes crucial. End it applies to the whole world. Becouse if you create just a buble with stopped time you have to be shure that no events outside of this bouble can affect things inside. A 5 round combat can take hours to resolve. But the world should only advance for 30 seconds.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by grysqrl
My personal preference would be fairly simple:
-If one character is in turn-based mode, the whole world is in turn-based mode.
-Dialog is considered turn-based mode.
-If one character is in initiative, the whole world is in initiative.

It's a turn-based game. We can ignore that when wandering around and doing things that don't really care about timing. But as soon timing matters for a character, anyone or anything that could possibly affect them also needs to be on the clock.

I'm not suggesting that the UI needs to actively track every person in the world, but definitely all of the characters (wherever they are) should be in turn-based mode and any NPCs and monsters in the world that are not close enough to matter should default to stopping instead of continuing to walk around.

I disagree and prefer it the way it is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard