Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Ummm.. 5e rules don't allow Gnolls to get 3 attacks a round with a bow. Why do Gnolls in Baldur's Gate 3? 3 separate encounters with Gnolls so far and every single one is getting 3 attacks a round with a bow.

M
M
Originally Posted by BadKarma
Ummm.. 5e rules don't allow Gnolls to get 3 attacks a round with a bow.
Welcome to Baldur's Gate 3. Jokes aside, there have already been many discussions on this forum about how true to D&D 5e the game should be. Although 'discussion' might be the wrong word. More like trench warfare. One side saying 'please stay closer to the rules' and the other side saying 'fuck the rules, I want full Larian crazyness'.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by marajango
Ummm.. 5e rules don't allow Gnolls to get 3 attacks a round with a bow.
Welcome to Baldur's Gate 3. Jokes aside, there have already been many discussions on this forum about how true to D&D 5e the game should be. Although 'discussion' might be the wrong word. More like trench warfare. One side saying 'please stay closer to the rules' and the other side saying 'fuck the rules, I want full Larian crazyness'.

And people in the middle with some changes but also wanting some things to go more 5e.

addict
addict
might be to balance out the fact that you can get the pack leader to fight for you......i agree with you though gnolls with 3 mean ranged attacks each this scrap can be very nasty..

veteran
veteran
Yea gnolls are totally WTF at the moment.

You know some characters are going to die against gnolls because they just overperwered them for no reasons.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
M
M
Originally Posted by Tarorn
might be to balance out the fact that you can get the pack leader to fight for you......
Another simple and legit way of achieving this would be to simply add more enemies to the fight.

veteran
veteran
The burst damage from a triple attack at low levels seems pretty poor design. I would avoid anything that can down a character before they even get a turn. Player carelessness, mistakes and crits are another thing at making combat feel dangerous like it should. But casually tripling a monsters basic attack damage output is just frustrating... and.. why? Huh?

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
if it was at disadvantage (or a flat -5 attack penalty) I wouldn't be so bothered-I like the idea of giving things abilities to stop them from being a reskin of the same enemy
Originally Posted by Tarorn
might be to balance out the fact that you can get the pack leader to fight for you
Interesting, I wasn't aware this was a thing. How do/did you do it?

A
A
It's tough if you're not prepared, but the things have like 18 health. If your tanks have 18+ armour (as they should by this point), most of their attacks will miss anyway.

A
A
It never triggers if you start the combat from the cave mouth and fight with the Zhent. It *usually* (but not always) triggers if you attack the pack from the rocky outcrop or the mountain pass. It should happen mid-combat, basically as soon as Flind sees you.

I love the way fights start differently depending on which direction you approach them from. See also Gimblebock and co outside the crypt - four directions, four different outcomes!

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
This is broken, Gnolls (Hunter, Pack Lord, etc) do have multiattack (so beside regular Gnolls), but multiattack only allow to make 2 attacks (ranged or melee) not 3. Which makes them unbalanced atm.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
So this fight is simultaneously easy and hard, due to some wonky mechanics/AI.

While the Gnoll Hunter's 3 attacks can be pretty powerful (since they usually have high ground), the AI has a weird tendency to waste its first couple of turns using pinning shot or acid arrows, which are relatively harmless. Their lower hp makes them really susceptible to sleep and focus fire.

It's a fight that you can definitely win at level 3 without any cheesing, but it can also be surprisingly tough if you're not used to fighting from low ground and the AI decides to get it together and start unloading from high ground.

In terms of monster stats, they are definitely all over the place, it's not exactly crazy for a level 3/4 party, but I wouldn't mind if Larian decides to pull it back closer to RAW (though we'll likely have to lose a few of the enemies).

The Gnoll Hunters are stronger in BG3, since they have an extra attack, though only have 18 hp (normally 22).

The Gnoll Flesh Gnawer is basically the same as 5E RAW (slight buff?). 2 less hp, but 1 more AC.

The Gnoll Fang of Yeenoghu is far weaker. RAW 5e they have 65 hp (BG3 has 18). They have roughly the same offensive output.

The Flind we see in BG3 is much weaker. The 5e RAW version will probably party wipe most people with its 127 HP and 3 attacks (52 average damage) that inflicts paralysis and madness on hit. The BG3 version only has 56 hp, and its multi-attack and flail of pain attack (the one with the big psychic damage) are separate attacks (whereas RAW, the flail of pain is part of the multi-attack)

old hand
old hand
Ummm.. 5e rules don't allow Gnolls to get 3 attacks a round with a bow. Why do Gnolls in Baldur's Gate 3? 3 separate encounters with Gnolls so far and every single one is getting 3 attacks a round with a bow.

this isn't d&d 5e its d&d larian, they changed a lot of the aspects of the game already. dont see why this is a problem

Last edited by fallenj; 09/03/21 02:01 AM.
I just noticed this thread and realized I forgot about these gnolls.

So I logged in right away and directly head to that spot with my solo/rogue.

I soon as I arrived .. well, I contributed to Larian's heat map right away. Added a little red dot to the heat map. smile

But with stealth & sneak attack, it wasn't that hard on my 2nd attempt.

Equiped with:
- The whispering promise (add Bless for 1 turn when healed);
- Broodmother's revenge (add poison when healed);
- Slippey chain shirt (desengage when healed);
- Crusher's ring: to cover more distance and find a nice spot to hide smile
- Wood elf (for more distance) with feat: "amor medium +1 Dex to get 18" and able to wear that cool armour ( I must confess that I like the design & the color - you can get it from bulette (that's another story));"

You just have to eat 1 potato to get all that, then range sneak attack and then hide(stealth). repeat until everyone dies.

Through the battle, I got one gnoll hunter spotting me and fired 3 shot at me, but wasn't enough to kill me, so ... "eat potato" and repeat ... smile

simple.

Last edited by Starlights; 09/03/21 02:48 AM.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a bit, you realize the pig enjoys it.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Starlights
I just noticed this thread and realized I forgot about these gnolls.

So I logged in right away and directly head to that spot with my solo/rogue.

I soon as I arrived .. well, I contributed to Larian's heat map right away. Added a little red dot to the heat map. smile

But with stealth & sneak attack, it wasn't that hard on my 2nd attempt.

Equiped with:
- The whispering promise (add Bless for 1 turn when healed);
- Broodmother's revenge (add poison when healed);
- Slippey chain shirt (desengage when healed);
- Crusher's ring: to cover more distance and find a nice spot to hide smile
- Wood elf (for more distance) with feat: "amor medium +1 Dex to get 18" and able to wear that cool armour ( I must confess that I like the design & the color - you can get it from bulette (that's another story));"

You just have to eat 1 potato to get all that, then range sneak attack and then hide(stealth). repeat until everyone dies.

Through the battle, I got one gnoll hunter spotting me and fired 3 shot at me, but wasn't enough to kill me, so ... "eat potato" and repeat ... smile

simple.
Didn't realize this was a competition...

Hi @fallenj,

Oh, that's how you interpreted my post ?
Maybe I have been reading too many posts about folks complaining the game is too hard.
I was just giving away some tricks that I have in my sleeve to go around this battle "while in the moment" since I just did it about 45 min ago before writing this post.

But no, I'm not competing, just helping. if the hats fits take it, if not don't take it.

Last edited by Starlights; 09/03/21 03:31 AM.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a bit, you realize the pig enjoys it.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Starlights
Hi @fallenj,

Oh, that's how you interpreted my post ?
Maybe I have been reading too many posts about folks complaining the game is too hard.
I was just giving away some tricks that I have in my sleeve to go around this battle "while in the moment" since I just did it about 45 min ago before writing this post.

But no, I'm not competing, just helping. if the hats fits take it, if not don't take it.

Hello Starlights,

Pretty much how I read it, person posted a complaint about multi attack with bows not related to 5e and you broke it down as if he was saying it was hard. I've read more posts than I'd like to about people boasting about there superiority in whatever game.

I gotcha btw

Link Copied to Clipboard