Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#761303 01/03/21 02:59 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I think this is the most common cursor feedback I get right after "Not Enough Space" hehe.

Are there any plans to open up the terrain a bit so that we can move over more of it?

Not that every boulder needs to be climbable, but it would be nice if some of the lower outcroppings could be moved across with simple scaling type animations. I know a lot of stuff is blocked off into zones and narrows for combat, but there are also a lot of scenic transition areas where combat doesn't generally occur. Places with lower rock piles or log formations and whatnot, which certainly seem like spots our PCs would be able to get to without really having to actively jump. Using jump for exploration purposes isn't my fav, except for where it is really emphasized (like where there are downed bridges and such, or a fallen tree or whatever). Otherwise I'd prefer the PCs tried to get some kind of path preview info that showed if say something could be reached without a jump, or if not, then where the real path is, before actually running it. Like showing the safest footing route as the default, but also indicating a more precarious but shorter path as an alt route. Something not too unlike the line preview line we get to see in TB mode, but geared more for regular non combat navigation.

Maybe an option for moving in caution mode over some spots (like the wilderness ones mentioned above) such that it makes the terrain hazardous if inside combat, but outside of combat the PCs just sort of scurry over any molehills at a somewhat slower speed than if walking along the trail.

Perhaps the more dexterous companions do fancy balancing hops, while a less nimble character might lumber over using their hands more to stabilize? But basically differentiating it by the animations or some minor malus like a slower trek rather than just being totally locked off and inaccessible.

One of the cool things about druids and rangers is supposed to be their ability to navigate through such difficult terrain with greater ease, so maybe having areas like that only accessible if certain PCs types are in the party to serve as pathing guides would be one approach. I'd imagine similar areas in the cities, where rogues with fleet feet would be able to do Aladdin moves in the back alleys, one jump ahead of the breadline and all that. But for the most part what I'm talking about are little wilderness transitions, that are being used to maze it out right now, but I think its bit too restrictive. I'd think anyone with a decent dex score should be able to manage their footing in a lot of those spots. I'd just like to be able to shortcut a bit easier around the various transition zones where their isn't a big encounter set-up in the immediate vicinity. Especially where its a particularly pretty stretch of environment like by the various creeks and crags and shorelines. Doesn't need to be totally open, just a bit more than it is right now, since I'm constantly trying to get to places we aren't suppose to access lol. Because they just look like cool places to be, the area designers did a really nice job with that. So of course now I want to always get closer and see the various views.

Also it would be nice if party members didn't obstruct each other to such an extreme. I've had Wyll stand like a stone wall in front of ladder, preventing the 3 other PCs from climbing to reach the enemy on their turn. I'd rather he just sidestep briefly, or show a temporary ghost animation while his space is being passed through. Or if its so important that he not move, at least let Zae'zel jump anyway and knock into him. I'm not above seeing some jostling and PCs knocking about, but it should prioritize the PC who's movement turn is still ongoing for available space on the ground to target.

When clicking a more distant space that is reachable, it would be nice if we got to see some sort of preview of the route the party is about to take. Just so they don't jog around the bend and run for 20 paces before the player realizes they're about to go the really really long way around. Its not always obvious which terrain is accessible, whether the PCs will be able to climb up and over or down and drop, or if they're going to run an extra mile and launch an encounter, when I'd rather have just not clicked that spot to begin with had I known lol

Last edited by Black_Elk; 01/03/21 03:30 PM.
Black_Elk #761321 01/03/21 03:38 PM
A
A
Getting a lot more "can't reaches" since the new patch came out.

Maybe that serves me right for playing a halfling rogue.

Black_Elk #761457 01/03/21 09:14 PM
P
addict
addict
P
I've been getting my share of can't reach-s even with a full sized character. At this point I'm really hoping that someone at Larian makes a bunch of non-interactable clones of barrels and crates to use as landscape decoration, because a lot of containers are still empty, and I don't see the point of making containers that are only there for decorative purposes, that can't be reached, and have nothing in them, be interactable. It only seems to be causing people frustration.

Piff #761595 02/03/21 10:40 AM
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Piff
I don't see the point of making containers that are only there for decorative purposes
I dont believe they are ...

At least you can make stairs out of them, so you can reach higher places ...
You can use them as amunition, if you wish to throw something, but dont wish to throw things from your inventory ...
And funny as it is, they can be used to create your own high ground. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown

Link Copied to Clipboard