Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#761546 02/03/21 03:49 AM
Brainer Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Having played through Patch 4, I was left pretty... confused?... about how the fleeing mechanic is implemented. The way it works is: while the player character is in combat and is at least 90ft away from enemies, they can just teleport to the camp, getting out of the fight. It's both unimmersive as heck and a worse version of how D:OS fleeing worked (teleporting to the nearest waypoint).
Now, before this was added, the only way to retreat from combat used to involve just getting really far away from enemies (preferably in stealth so they don't follow, as enemy AI is basically awful at dealing with stealthed characters at the moment) and once you get enough distance the combat just ends. So, why not make these same 90ft be the threshold for just exiting combat mode with a specific character? Otherwise it's simply a very awkward mechanic, and many already complain about how the camp is an immersion-buster with the way it's done.

journeyman
journeyman
+1

As it is right now, I'd rather have my party wiped than flee.

M
M
Agree, Its not really worth to use it atm and it should either exit combat for that character or take the char to nearest way point, not to camp.

I used this feature once during my current patch4 playthrough. My fleeing char went to camp but when wanted to rest/opt out from camp the game said that resting is not possible as a companion (Shadowheart, who was left in the battle to hold the enemy up so my wizard can get away) is in danger. So i stucked in the camp with my wizard and had to wait while Shadowheart died. After that the game was letting me to teleport out of camp and sneak back so i can revivify her, but instead I just loaded back the whole thing and savescummed to win the battle.

Brainer Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Another tie-in to how strangely and jankily fleeing works: the way the game handles your characters getting tossed out of bounds to their death (off a cliff, into deep water). It appears to be essentially executing the fleeing command/fast travel with a dead character, teleporting them to camp the same way (but without the distance limitations), however, for example, in this fight...:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....0EAAEB8975EB56F1140B7B5EF7EE9BF4B75C6C1/

...you cannot flee or use fast travel on account of it being a different map entirely (like the Nautiloid, except there you didn't have access to camp, so shoving a character off of it deletes them from the game), however, if a character were to get pushed off the boat with a shove or a thunder arrow/spell, their corpse is sent to the camp regardless, making you unable to raise them. A suggestion would be to spawn a resurrectable entity on the spot the character stood at before getting thrown, or something along those lines. Otherwise recovering your dead would either be unnecessarily complicated (if they were thrown into some poorly accessible pit) or, again, immersion-busting and feeling like a band-aid "it just works" implementation.

Last edited by Brainer; 07/03/21 01:47 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard