Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Feb 2021
P
addict
OP Offline
addict
P
Joined: Feb 2021
Believe me, I am not saying I am against diversity, and representation. But this is getting kind of ridiculous. In my last 4 play throughs, I played as a male in either Drow, Tiefling and Half elf. I only had 1 moment where I had a disapprove from Shadowheart (at the moment, unless I want to go totally evil she is the only one available). Even though I had multiple disapprovals from Gale, Wyn and Astarion the romance scene was available at the camp party, but Shadowheart has refused. I mean it is getting almost to where if you are playing a straight character, you are being pushed into a single sex relationship. That is really not cool.

I am all for the players that are into that getting the full benefit of a romance with they character they want, but it seems that the alternative, of having a CIS romance is being penalized for it. If you are going to make all of the single sex romance options like that, make it so all of them are. A player should not be refused to romance whatever companion they want. Also what is weirder is when I played 4 playthroughs as a female character, pretty much all the male companions are open for the romance scene, no matter the number of disapproval I got. So it just seems that right now, as the game plays out, if your a CIS male character, your odds of missing out on the romance (which I understand is seriously limited for companions with a good alignment) are pretty high.

What would also be a good idea, is at the party, maybe make other NPCs available for a "single night" type thing, like the bard tiefling, or maybe some of the male tieflings present. The one thing that was really cool about the Witcher, which was both hilarious and fun was the amount of interaction he had at the brothels. Add to that, the awesome sarcastic interactions if he visited one with Ciri, Triss or Yeneffer.

Just something to think about.

Last edited by Pandemonica; 02/03/21 04:44 PM.
Joined: Sep 2017
P
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
P
Joined: Sep 2017
I agree. From a writing standpoint...this "trendy" thing where we make all our characters open to anything because we are so evolved and hip....just make for a bunch of undefined, and ambiguous characters. There's no drama. No connection..nor relatability. Majority of people are straight. Plain and simple. So makeing every character so ambiguous...just makes them more unrelatable and weaker as characters. You can make them whatever orientation you want...just give them some definition. A gay character that forms a deep heterosexual connection with the main character, and the struggles that come with such a relationship, would make for a more interesting character then the single sentence of definition. "Im open to anything.". People are diverse. They are not all the same. Making companions all the same is just weak writing. I really felt that all the companion characters were actually written by an angtsy teenage goth girl from the 90s.

Joined: Oct 2020
S
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020
It's bugged: NPC interactions are seemingly buggier than a beehive right now; the npcs are playersexual, and go after any player character assuming if you don't annoy them too much. At least, they did before this patch, I've had 0 interaction from them in camp this playthrough.

Personally think the npcs lose some definition for lacking a preference but 'eh'.

Last edited by Some_Twerp753; 02/03/21 05:25 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Cleric of Innuendo
Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Previous discussions that strayed into arguments and comments on sexuality have been locked. Please keep this thread to the topic within BG3 and do not bring in your opinions of real-world gender politics or sexual preferences.

Last edited by Sadurian; 02/03/21 05:19 PM.
Joined: Sep 2017
P
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
P
Joined: Sep 2017
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Previous discussions that strayed into arguments and comments on sexuality have been locked. Please keep this thread to the topic within BG3 and do not bring in your opinions of real-world gender politics or sexual preferences.


Keeps discussion to this fictional place but heavr forbid you share your opinions.....wow this generation is getting weird.

Joined: Feb 2021
P
addict
OP Offline
addict
P
Joined: Feb 2021
Yes I am speaking in regards to the game only, and my experience with it. Like I stated I am all for everyone enjoying and getting what and who they want in game. It would be nice if real world stuff was not injected into the discussion. I was just relaying my experience so far in regards to the availability of companions for the "love interest" so they can hopefully balance it out wink

Joined: Sep 2017
P
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
P
Joined: Sep 2017
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
Yes I am speaking in regards to the game only, and my experience with it. Like I stated I am all for everyone enjoying and getting what and who they want in game. It would be nice if real world stuff was not injected into the discussion. I was just relaying my experience so far in regards to the availability of companions for the "love interest" so they can hopefully balance it out wink

Dont be scared lol. Where did we talk about anything real-world untill the moderator brought it up? You were discussing character diversity, i was discussing the writing, and the other guy brought up the current bugginess of the characters scripting.

Joined: Mar 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
I played 4 playthroughs as a female character, pretty much all the male companions are open for the romance scene, no matter the number of disapproval I got.

That changed in this patch. Astarian laughed in my face -- the thought of he and my heroic toon together was hilarious.

I think you would do better to drop the focus on heteronormativity and instead ask the devs for more romanceable, women companions. You would probably get more support for your position and you are getting the same result.

The previous Baldur's Gate had 17 companions, we should get at least that many.

Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Originally Posted by Pharaun159
wow this generation is getting weird.

Which generation would that be...?

Anyway, the reason Sadurian warned against it is because there is an unfortunate tendency for that subject to become problematic, so let's not go there please.


J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Feb 2021
P
addict
OP Offline
addict
P
Joined: Feb 2021
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
I played 4 playthroughs as a female character, pretty much all the male companions are open for the romance scene, no matter the number of disapproval I got.

That changed in this patch. Astarian laughed in my face -- the thought of he and my heroic toon together was hilarious.

I think you would do better to drop the focus on heteronormativity and instead ask the devs for more romanceable, women companions. You would probably get more support for your position and you are getting the same result.

The previous Baldur's Gate had 17 companions, we should get at least that many.

Actually no, the point I was making was that even though I have made a number of decisions that are negative to all the male companions, they all still wanted to jump my bones as a male character, but having almost all positive reactions from Shadowheart except 1, there was no option for it and it was no. I even thought, well maybe she has an issue with tieflings, because of that statement she said about never caring for them, but I found the same reaction with my half elf, and my Drow. So I was just stating the requirements for that interaction are off at the moment. It has nothing to do with heteronormativity, it has to do with balance.

I mean at this point, I think after so many play throughs, we all know which interactions are positive influence and negative ones. So it is easy to test. Even in the last play through, I did a save before the party. Found she said no, reloaded the game, got 3 more positive interactions, and she still was no.

Last edited by Pandemonica; 02/03/21 06:03 PM.
Joined: Mar 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Mar 2020
I think I'm just better at preventing romance than most people. In my current playthrough neither Astarian or Lae'zel wanted to sleep with me. I don't mean to brag but I'm pretty good at this in real life as well.

Joined: Aug 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Aug 2020
Aren't Shadowheart's (and all of the companion's) romance scenes/moments gated by approval and some dialogue choices you've made along the way? Did you actually check what was your approval with her before the party? Have you discussed her Shar beliefs with her? Triggered all the other Shar related scenes with her (like the one in the owlbear cave)?

For example with Astarion, he'll laugh at you suggesting romance if you are below medium (and even at lower ends of medium he'll refuse if you bring it up). Same goes for Lae'zel - even if you've met with her gith kin, she might still say - no, I don't like you even though during her initial conversation start at the party she sounds ready to jump your bones, if you say - sure, she's gonna be like - 'err actually no'.

Best way into someone's pants is through... bringing them along with you on the journey. Who would've thought?

But on a serious note - you can't bang SH (as of now anyway), all you can do with her is drink some wine, watch some stars and kiss. That's all.

Last edited by Nicottia; 02/03/21 06:37 PM.
Joined: Dec 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Dec 2020
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
I think I'm just better at preventing romance than most people. In my current playthrough neither Astarian or Lae'zel wanted to sleep with me. I don't mean to brag but I'm pretty good at this in real life as well.

Yea, I'm a total pariah in my group lol. i even had the two ladies tell me flat out "well, you could have been with me tonight if I didn't hate you" basically when I wasn't even interested in them lol. It's a bizarre line from "Hey, we adventure together" to "Let's F**k" (does this forum have rules against langauge btw?)

Joined: Mar 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Mar 2020
Astarian's rejections are hilarious. Lae'zel a little less so but they fit her character -- you are strong and covered in sweat and blood . . . . it's shame I hate you so much. Which made me smile.

I'm hoping they eventually have romance specific banters.

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
The previous Baldur's Gate had 17 companions, we should get at least that many.

I'm coming back for patch 4 after a while away from the game. Has Larian changed their plan to lock companion choices in the party after Act 1? If that's still the plan, I don't know how they'd cram more than 2 or 3 more companions into Act 1.

Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
I'm hoping they eventually have romance specific banters.

Yes, most other RPG's that include romance have very obvious romance go/no-go conversational triggers. It's not just pegged on general approval, so the player feels more in control of the situation. You make the choice, not the NPC. The triggers are impossible to miss. It would need additional voice acting here, so I don't know if that's likely, but I think it would help.

Joined: Feb 2021
JoB Offline
Banned
Offline
Banned
Joined: Feb 2021
The romance stuff is childish right now, as in immature. It's all masturbatory nonsense that breaks immersion.

Everyone waits until the same night to suddenly get horny.

And when they do all get horny, there's no sexual identity to go along with it. Nothing about your character matters to them, in terms of gender or race or class. It's not even remotely realistic.

They don't care that you raised them from the dead three times. They care more about a handful of conversational choices.

I would prefer a system that gradually allowed a relationship to build via conversation. A system that took into consideration travel time spent together. I would prefer the companions to have actual interests. If Gale is straight, then Gale should be straight. If Astarion is bisexual, then he should be bisexual. These things should be a part of the characters' identities. Built in, regardless of who the player character decides to play.

Additionally, I think it would be beneficial if some of the non-companion NPCs were romanceable. Just because a random tiefling or druid isn't traveling with you doesn't mean a relationship can't begin to form.

Just my opinion.

Joined: Feb 2021
P
addict
OP Offline
addict
P
Joined: Feb 2021
Originally Posted by Nicottia
Aren't Shadowheart's (and all of the companion's) romance scenes/moments gated by approval and some dialogue choices you've made along the way? Did you actually check what was your approval with her before the party? Have you discussed her Shar beliefs with her? Triggered all the other Shar related scenes with her (like the one in the owlbear cave)?

For example with Astarion, he'll laugh at you suggesting romance if you are below medium (and even at lower ends of medium he'll refuse if you bring it up). Same goes for Lae'zel - even if you've met with her gith kin, she might still say - no, I don't like you even though during her initial conversation start at the party she sounds ready to jump your bones, if you say - sure, she's gonna be like - 'err actually no'.

Best way into someone's pants is through... bringing them along with you on the journey. Who would've thought?

But on a serious note - you can't bang SH (as of now anyway), all you can do with her is drink some wine, watch some stars and kiss. That's all.

Yes I know every conversation, and what to say to get approval. I checked all the boxes besides 1 miss.

Joined: Dec 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Dec 2020
Originally Posted by JoB
The romance stuff is childish right now, as in immature. It's all masturbatory nonsense that breaks immersion.

Everyone waits until the same night to suddenly get horny.

And when they do all get horny, there's no sexual identity to go along with it. Nothing about your character matters to them, in terms of gender or race or class. It's not even remotely realistic.

They don't care that you raised them from the dead three times. They care more about a handful of conversational choices.

I would prefer a system that gradually allowed a relationship to build via conversation. A system that took into consideration travel time spent together. I would prefer the companions to have actual interests. If Gale is straight, then Gale should be straight. If Astarion is bisexual, then he should be bisexual. These things should be a part of the characters' identities. Built in, regardless of who the player character decides to play.

Additionally, I think it would be beneficial if some of the non-companion NPCs were romanceable. Just because a random tiefling or druid isn't traveling with you doesn't mean a relationship can't begin to form.

Just my opinion.

check out reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3 and you'll see how popular immature sex scenes/sexy edgy companions are smile

Larian knows their audience

Last edited by Boblawblah; 02/03/21 08:38 PM.
Joined: Jan 2021
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jan 2021
I just want Shadowheart to stop disapproving on Astarion's romance scene, please. PLEASE. Why is that bug still there even when they've taken out the cinematics.

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
I don't agree with the making all npcs available for a single night thing as you put it. It kind of kills the idea of each npc having their own personal preferences. I like it how with Shadowheart the romance scene you get plays the way it does. It says much about her character and should be an option for people that like to pursue 'harder to get' npcs rather than going with most other npcs I've met who... well do what they do smile

I don't remember Shadowheart refusing me over a 'single disapproval' myself. It must be something new.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5