Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by JoB
The romance stuff is childish right now, as in immature. It's all masturbatory nonsense that breaks immersion.

Everyone waits until the same night to suddenly get horny.

And when they do all get horny, there's no sexual identity to go along with it. Nothing about your character matters to them, in terms of gender or race or class. It's not even remotely realistic.

They don't care that you raised them from the dead three times. They care more about a handful of conversational choices.

I would prefer a system that gradually allowed a relationship to build via conversation. A system that took into consideration travel time spent together. I would prefer the companions to have actual interests. If Gale is straight, then Gale should be straight. If Astarion is bisexual, then he should be bisexual. These things should be a part of the characters' identities. Built in, regardless of who the player character decides to play.

Additionally, I think it would be beneficial if some of the non-companion NPCs were romanceable. Just because a random tiefling or druid isn't traveling with you doesn't mean a relationship can't begin to form.

Just my opinion.

100% in agreement. I will repeat myself from another thread, the Pathfinder games handled companion relationships correctly, though I didn't bring up the romances in that game. Those games had zero approval system among the companions. If they ever disapproved with anything you did (or anyone else in the party, for that matter, which is something you'll see in spades in WotR), they would outright interject with interesting party banter, instead of the silent '____ disapproves' like most other RPGs would do.

(What did I mean by something you'll see in spades in WotR? There's some party banter that can potentially happen between 2-3 party members at once. In one notable case...)

(There is a companion named Ember who is generally super optimistic and preachy about the value of redemption. She does this to everyone, including demons, and it annoys most people in the party. Other beta testers have noticed that there are some party members who actually never have anything mean to say about her though - and the most interesting part is that regardless of everyone's actual alignments, the ones that respect her (or simply don't insult her because she's too much of an easy target or too oblivious in general) tend to be the same party members that are seen being assholes to everyone else. The most striking example is that you have a Lawful Good Paladin who insults her for being impractical and wasteful in her efforts to convince demons to renounce their violent ways, while the Lawful Evil but super practical Hellknight simply decided to accept her for what she is - because if she succeeds? Good. Makes his job a lot easier. If she fails? Nothing was really lost in the attempt. There are a lot of examples of this kind of nuance among the writing of the Pathfinder games.)

You could not romance everyone in Kingmaker either, everyone had their own preferences (and several companions had a different focus in life that made them uninterested in any kind of romance at all). Romancing a companion in Kingmaker was something you had to earn throughout the whole game by talking to them in downtime, finding common ground with them, and most progress was dependent on how you handle their personal arcs too. Hell, you could accidentally romance them, and they had the maturity to not act like it's the end of the world if you end up friendzoning them in the end.

Really, people tend to act like the writing of the Pathfinder games weren't anything special (probably centering on the subject matter most of all), but the actual presentation of it is leagues ahead of most other modern cRPGs.

I remember someone on Reddit made a post praising BG3's writing for daring to have companions take the initiative in asking you out first, but I argue that it actually cheapens their characterization for them to all universally do it at the same point so early in the game. Making literally everyone romanceable also means that the community in the end will just default to only caring about the romances in many cases, with almost everything else about them being sidelined in comparison. You can kind of already see this happening with Astarion especially.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 03/03/21 08:43 AM.
D
Banned
Banned
D
I was really quite taken with how companionship and relationships were handled in Pillars of Eternity. The build up was gradual and you felt you were getting to know the other character rather than just playing some color-by-numbers mini game to unlock a cringey sex scene.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Pharaun159
I agree. From a writing standpoint...this "trendy" thing where we make all our characters open to anything because we are so evolved and hip....just make for a bunch of undefined, and ambiguous characters. There's no drama. No connection..nor relatability. Majority of people are straight. Plain and simple. So makeing every character so ambiguous...just makes them more unrelatable and weaker as characters. You can make them whatever orientation you want...just give them some definition.

This is true only if you are a firm believer in sexual preferences is what defines people and that you are your group identity. What you perceive as the "trendy" thing is the rational response from developers who see beyond gender tribalism; inclusivity without using lots of resources on making token characters that revolve around their sexual preference.

DA:I's Dorian was one such character. Lots of drama, muh oppression! But less relatability due to the ham-fisted insert of present-day navel-gazing identity politics in a world burning with very real issues that broke the spell of immersion and suspension of disbelief like nobody's business. Your ideal character if we follow the extent of your logic. On the other hand, they also made Bull, which was made into an all-eating sexual tyrannosaurus. Not many would accuse Bull of being a bland character without flair let me tell you. Not really relatable either though.

A gay character that forms a deep heterosexual connection with the main character, and the struggles that come with such a relationship, would make for a more interesting character then the single sentence of definition. "Im open to anything.". People are diverse. They are not all the same. Making companions all the same is just weak writing. I really felt that all the companion characters were actually written by an angtsy teenage goth girl from the 90s.

...or, much, much, more likely given the prevailing political winds, a heterosexual character that forms a deep gay connection with the main character. The other thing would be "sexual conversion therapy". See where this is going?

Instead of a selection of two males and two females, you get one woman who likes men, one woman who likes women, one man who likes women, one man who likes men. One choice for most. Or we could crawl further down the rabbit hole...by making more of them! With the unavoidable consequence that each is given less resources to flesh out because resources are finite. More is better, right? Now you're not really getting more real choices, and have pretty much guaranteed each being more bland. Congratulations.

I have long been a strong proponent for romances as a deeper, more personal motivation than killing the baddie, stealing his loot and saving the world. But this is the kind of thing that makes me want to go Josh Sawyer/Aliens and nuke the site from orbit.

https://external-preview.redd.it/73...a99ddf5f9171edd1fd88def3154cc3732a5aaaa2

Last edited by Seraphael; 03/03/21 09:23 AM.
D
Banned
Banned
D
Unless it is narratively purposive, romance has no place in a video game.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
I think I'm just better at preventing romance than most people. In my current playthrough neither Astarian or Lae'zel wanted to sleep with me. I don't mean to brag but I'm pretty good at this in real life as well.

This made me smile wink . It also made me wonder though, she Astarion rejects us now, do you have to broach the subject with him or is it like how it was with Laessi (at least previously, I haven't reached that far on patch 4) and they immediately start telling you about how you could be having sex with them if only you had made the right decisions as soon as you initiate dialogue as if you could have no other reason to talk to them?

Because the only thing that annoyed me more than the "everybody wants to fuck the PC at the same time" immatureness was the "everybody who don't enough approval to want to fuck you also have to make that known to you at that very moment" ridiculousity.

Originally Posted by BeeBee
I just want Shadowheart to stop disapproving on Astarion's romance scene, please. PLEASE. Why is that bug still there even when they've taken out the cinematics.

Shadowheart doesn't approve of food sex!

Originally Posted by Ankou
Also since SH approves of Scratch petting she is one of the easiest to always be able to have a relationship with by far.

From my pre-patch-4 playthroughs it always seemed like SH gets improvements in smaller amounts than say Gale, possibly because different writers/coders. Gale is like super buddies with you after just a few interactions but SH lingers in the neutro-zone much longer. I've had to abuse the Scratch exploit to actually make her approval go up to the high class before.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Originally Posted by JoB
The romance stuff is childish right now, as in immature. It's all masturbatory nonsense that breaks immersion.

Everyone waits until the same night to suddenly get horny.

And when they do all get horny, there's no sexual identity to go along with it. Nothing about your character matters to them, in terms of gender or race or class. It's not even remotely realistic.

They don't care that you raised them from the dead three times. They care more about a handful of conversational choices.

I would prefer a system that gradually allowed a relationship to build via conversation. A system that took into consideration travel time spent together. I would prefer the companions to have actual interests. If Gale is straight, then Gale should be straight. If Astarion is bisexual, then he should be bisexual. These things should be a part of the characters' identities. Built in, regardless of who the player character decides to play.

Additionally, I think it would be beneficial if some of the non-companion NPCs were romanceable. Just because a random tiefling or druid isn't traveling with you doesn't mean a relationship can't begin to form.

Just my opinion.

100% in agreement. I will repeat myself from another thread, the Pathfinder games handled companion relationships correctly, though I didn't bring up the romances in that game. Those games had zero approval system among the companions. If they ever disapproved with anything you did (or anyone else in the party, for that matter, which is something you'll see in spades in WotR), they would outright interject with interesting party banter, instead of the silent '____ disapproves' like most other RPGs would do.

(What did I mean by something you'll see in spades in WotR? There's some party banter that can potentially happen between 2-3 party members at once. In one notable case...)

(There is a companion named Ember who is generally super optimistic and preachy about the value of redemption. She does this to everyone, including demons, and it annoys most people in the party. Other beta testers have noticed that there are some party members who actually never have anything mean to say about her though - and the most interesting part is that regardless of everyone's actual alignments, the ones that respect her (or simply don't insult her because she's too much of an easy target or too oblivious in general) tend to be the same party members that are seen being assholes to everyone else. The most striking example is that you have a Lawful Good Paladin who insults her for being impractical and wasteful in her efforts to convince demons to renounce their violent ways, while the Lawful Evil but super practical Hellknight simply decided to accept her for what she is - because if she succeeds? Good. Makes his job a lot easier. If she fails? Nothing was really lost in the attempt. There are a lot of examples of this kind of nuance among the writing of the Pathfinder games.)

You could not romance everyone in Kingmaker either, everyone had their own preferences (and several companions had a different focus in life that made them uninterested in any kind of romance at all). Romancing a companion in Kingmaker was something you had to earn throughout the whole game by talking to them in downtime, finding common ground with them, and most progress was dependent on how you handle their personal arcs too. Hell, you could accidentally romance them, and they had the maturity to not act like it's the end of the world if you end up friendzoning them in the end.

Really, people tend to act like the writing of the Pathfinder games weren't anything special (probably centering on the subject matter most of all), but the actual presentation of it is leagues ahead of most other modern cRPGs.

I remember someone on Reddit made a post praising BG3's writing for daring to have companions take the initiative in asking you out first, but I argue that it actually cheapens their characterization for them to all universally do it at the same point so early in the game. Making literally everyone romanceable also means that the community in the end will just default to only caring about the romances in many cases, with almost everything else about them being sidelined in comparison. You can kind of already see this happening with Astarion especially.

Damn, that Hellknight character sounds very awesome, and it suddenly made me remember Kingmaker is one of the few games that i can think of where evil doesn't equate stupid(most of all for the MC). Probably gonna fire it up as soon as i'm done with BG3.

It's also funny that the (heterosexual) romances in Kingmaker aren't as cringey as they have every right to be, considering all of them, bar Valerie's, deal with some pretty out of the norm stuff.

And if anything, really, the only real drawback is that the game is so big that at times it feels like characters/relationship freeze in time until the next story beat comes, Kanerah and Kalikke's whole thing most especially. And i think regular relationships suffer from the same too, what with every companion being more or less awesome but not there being nearly enough to talk about with them during all the time it takes for their personal quests to advance.

Having said that, Jaethal is still my char's murder wife, and the game taking its time to present the characters leads to the quiet drink with Valerie feeling ten times as significant than the one with Shadowheart.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by divideby8
It's not a subjective opinion.
Just because something means different things to different people does not mean they are all factually or clinically accurate. I have friends who think it will upset me if they move the nail scissors on my dressing table, or change where bottles are in my fridge. I have friends who call themselves OCD because they wrote all their lecture notes in strict colour coded manner, or insist on specific "correct" protocol in making a cup of tea. In any case we are WELL beyond a light thread derail at this point so out of politeness towards the OP let's leave it there...

Last edited by Elessaria666; 03/03/21 11:06 AM.
E
addict
addict
E
Unless it is narratively purposive, romance has no place in a video game.

I agree completely but they seem to have quite a bit of emphasis in the game? Can we assume Larian think it’s an important and appealing game mechanic?

Originally Posted by Scribe
I feel I'm alone in not bothering at all with this.

I just want to play a game, and play through a story?

No, you are far from alone. Personally I hold no interest in in-game romances and cinematic sex scenes.

Ideally I feel that if you’re going to include romances in a game like this, then they they should be an embellishment at most, not integral, not in-your-face and ultimately should feel natural, not something that is prevalent from the get-go. I find it a bit problematic that the game assumes I want to pursue a romance by making the companions want to jump my bones so soon. Granted I haven’t played the recent patch so am not sure how the romance options work now.

Originally Posted by Pandemonica
Her approval is medium at camp before I hit the bedroll to set off the event. Also, the only time in the grove you have to watch out for for SH is a conversation where you have to choose the response of they can take care of themselves. If you just jump to protect them in that conversation, she gives disapproval. I mean I know the conversations pretty much by heart. I have romanced her numerous times in the past in patch 3. That is why I am saying, this is a patch 4 issue possibly.

That is all true. And very odd. There might be a chance it's a bug - her exp is bugged so who knows what else is bugged. I'm not sure what would have changed between Patch 3 and 4 despite a few voice lines added here and there. And I'm not sure why I got her romance scene, but you didn't - after doing the same things you did in patch 3 that led to it. It might not be a bug, and maybe an action no longer grants approval without going further into the dialogue tree. (Saving Sazza for example gains party disapproval in a different part of that confrontation from what I can tell).

Judging from the datamined voicelines in Patch 3 Larian might be tweaking how SH opens up to the player. From the lines it almost feels like they know some players find SH hard to get to know, and its the writers intent that players should try.

The approval system and the romances are definitely buggy right now - when you get em it's great - when you don't its frustrating. I know people in this thread don't seem to like them, but the approval isn't just there for romance - I'm pretty sure somewhere down the line approval is going to determine whether some party members stand by your side or not at key moments. If you have these characters along at all, you probably want them to at least tolerate you, otherwise you're just harboring an enemy in your midst. You're not going to be able to pull this off in a narratively rewarding way by just having a trigger point for betrayal or loyalty that doesn't take into account how you've treated them this whole time.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Innateagle
And if anything, really, the only real drawback is that the game is so big that at times it feels like characters/relationship freeze in time until the next story beat comes, Kanerah and Kalikke's whole thing most especially. And i think regular relationships suffer from the same too, what with every companions being more or less awesome but not their being nearly enough to talk about with them during all the time it takes for their personal quests to advance.

This is one of my major concerns in general, and something I am very excited to see Larian cope with. When it comes to companion relationships in general in RPGs (I am not just speaking of romance now, but *all* kind of relationships) - having conversations locked to the main story often results in rather... Clunky experiences at the wrong time and place, at least for me, where there is an awkward silence during long periods of time - only to have *all* companions requesting your attention at the same time as soon as the story starts progressing *cough PoE2 and DOS2*.

I realize that some conversations and some development obviously must be halted until the main story has been progressed appropriately, since well... Obviously I'd expect there to be certain conversations *regarding* certain main story events that, for obvious reasons, should not pop up unless the player has actually gone through the appropriate encounters. ... But I often feel like my character's and companion's relationships goes on a full halt for long periods of time, especially in CRPGs where the main story is short but there is loads of side-content *cough PoE2 cough*.

So... I guess that in general I'd just like to see Larian keep doing what they already are doing. The companions in BG3 have a lot of proper conversations with the PC - and I hope it remains that way - so that I don't feel like I am playing by yourself while "in-between" quests. Bonding with my companions and seeing their personal development, and also my PC's and the companions' development together (both romance and non-romance) is a big part of RPGs for me... And unfortunately something that I've found lacking in many RPGs/CRPGs that I've tried.

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
D
D
Originally Posted by Dez
This is one of my major concerns in general, and something I am very excited to see Larian cope with.
Originally Posted by Dez
Clunky experiences at the wrong time and place, at least for me, where there is an awkward silence during long periods of time - only to have *all* companions requesting your attention at the same time as soon as the story starts progressing *cough PoE2 and DOS2*.
Originally Posted by Dez
So... I guess that in general I'd just like to see Larian keep doing what they already are doing.
Are we even playing the same game? You know, the game containing a certain celebration part where at the very same time every companion wants to either jump you (OK, in case of SH not _exactly_) or make it very clear to you that you have not farmed enough points to make them want to jump you?

veteran
veteran
@Elessaria666 thanks for the answer, that's really interesting to hear about.

On topic:

I've said it before, but having no build up other than just adventuring together for a few weeks and then suddenly on the same night they all decide to either fuck or not is just really immature. With Lae'zel, it sort of makes sense with her race but it's hard to believe that literally everyone in Faerun is the same way.

That said, I should have seen this coming when I saw the sex storyboard. Spending that much time/energy on sex scenes in an rpg that isn't straight up porn was a clue to their focus for the relationships.

Oddly enough, SWTOR, while silly in how you get someone to like you (just flirt a bunch of times), the relationships have a more mature feel to them.

P
addict
OP Offline
addict
P
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

On topic:

I've said it before, but having no build up other than just adventuring together for a few weeks and then suddenly on the same night they all decide to either fuck or not is just really immature. With Lae'zel, it sort of makes sense with her race but it's hard to believe that literally everyone in Faerun is the same way.

That said, I should have seen this coming when I saw the sex storyboard. Spending that much time/energy on sex scenes in an rpg that isn't straight up porn was a clue to their focus for the relationships.

Oddly enough, SWTOR, while silly in how you get someone to like you (just flirt a bunch of times), the relationships have a more mature feel to them.

You forgot the millions in credits buying gifts to get max approval...

Last edited by Pandemonica; 03/03/21 03:34 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

On topic:

You forgot the millions in credits buying gifts to get max approval...

lol, that at least isn't related to actual approval, that's just combat efficiency, but yes that is silly

D
Banned
Banned
D
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
It's not a subjective opinion.
Just because something means different things to different people does not mean they are all factually or clinically accurate. I have friends who think it will upset me if they move the nail scissors on my dressing table, or change where bottles are in my fridge. I have friends who call themselves OCD because they wrote all their lecture notes in strict colour coded manner, or insist on specific "correct" protocol in making a cup of tea. In any case we are WELL beyond a light thread derail at this point so out of politeness towards the OP let's leave it there...

No. Someone else's SUFFERING FROM A MENTAL DISORDER is not your fad-like description for wanting things your way. You completely ignored the point I was making.

You seem to think it is some privilege to call yourself OCD. This is insulting.

Last edited by divideby8; 03/03/21 05:59 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dexai
I just want Shadowheart to stop disapproving on Astarion's romance scene, please. PLEASE. Why is that bug still there even when they've taken out the cinematics.

Shadowheart doesn't approve of food sex!

That's because she has NO TASTE!

Last edited by BeeBee; 03/03/21 08:39 PM. Reason: typo
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
No. Someone else's SUFFERING FROM A MENTAL DISORDER is not your fad-like description for wanting things your way. You completely ignored the point I was making.

You seem to think it is some privilege to call yourself OCD. This is insulting.
Quit the shouting, the confrontational tone, and the whole discussion about OCD. Stick to BG3 .

EDIT: Given that you are an alt account created to evade a ban, you can also quit the forums.

Last edited by Sadurian; 03/03/21 06:58 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
The previous Baldur's Gate had 17 companions, we should get at least that many.

I'm coming back for patch 4 after a while away from the game. Has Larian changed their plan to lock companion choices in the party after Act 1? If that's still the plan, I don't know how they'd cram more than 2 or 3 more companions into Act 1.

I'm hoping they eventually have romance specific banters.

Yes, most other RPG's that include romance have very obvious romance go/no-go conversational triggers. It's not just pegged on general approval, so the player feels more in control of the situation. You make the choice, not the NPC. The triggers are impossible to miss. It would need additional voice acting here, so I don't know if that's likely, but I think it would help.

Good question! I don't know, I really hope they have decided to change that.

On the new voiced lined. Each new patch comes with new voice lines. I don't know if Larian has many different options recorded or if they have those actors on some sort of retainer and they just keep coming back. If it's the second than romance banters wouldn't be out of the question.

veteran
veteran
[

I see what you did there.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I see what you did there.