Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#761734 02/03/21 07:36 PM
Argyle Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
The new Druid class is looking great, and I excited to try out my Beach (Coast) Druid, even if I can't get a chariot-riding clam companion named Spartacus (or is that still a possibility, Larian?). Druids revere nature and may have leaves or seaweed in their hair, but they are also versed in the fields of architecture and mathematics which flow from nature. That's why the factions are referred to as "circles", no?

How do you draw a circle? You can drive a stake in the ground, then walk around it with a taut rope. Crop circle technique, an ancient Druid practical joke. Or for smaller circles, just find a forked tree branch which you can break off and use as a sort of compass to make circles in the dirt. Here is where things get much more interesting ... make a 1st circle, then put the point of your compass/stake anywhere on the circumference, and draw a second circle. A child can do it. On the points where the two circles intersect, draw two other circles. Go all the way around, and eventually you end up with seven total circles, original in the middle and six surrounding, sometimes called the Flower of Life. Maybe this is the origin of the seven heavens?

[img]https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flower_of_Life_7-circles.svg[/img]

Now by choosing various intersection points and drawing straight lines between them, you can generate all the classic architectural shapes in perfect proportion: right angles, isosceles triangles, 3-4-5 Pythagorean triangles, golden ratio rectangles, hexagons, equilateral triangles, and even some holy symbols. All these come from the simple circle and a child's game. So you see, there is a little more to the Beach Druid than clam bakes and surf music.

Argyle #761738 02/03/21 07:45 PM
Argyle Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Hey, my image link failed! Let's try this ...

[Linked Image from 3.bp.blogspot.com]

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard