Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ankou Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Per the co-creator of 5e, you're supposed to be able to: https://twitter.com/ImRaijen/status/775125051263819776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E775148210364948480%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es2_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sageadvice.eu%2F2016%2F09%2F30%2Fcan-you-move-a-moonbeam-spell-as-a-druid-if-you-shape-shift-into-something-like-a-bear%2F

Yet, you can't in this game. Are they working on this or is this somehow an intentional nerf?

old hand
old hand
Don't expect it to change:

In 5e, you retain ALL of your class abilities when you wild shape, and are able to benefit from them as long as you can practically do so (Druid-Barbarians can Rage and use Reckless Attack while in a wild shape, for example).

This includes all functions that are a part of any spells you cast; you can attack with spiritual weapon, call lightning bolts, channel sun beams and yes, move your moon beam, all while in wild shape. You just can't *cast* a new spell.

In Larian-verse, you do NOT retain ANY of your class features when you wild shape, at all.
This player, jaded though she be, feels that this is unlikely to change, no matter how much anyone asks.

Ankou Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
There's been a lot of hyperbole on this board, but this would LITERALLY RUIN DRUIDS. This is the entire point. The bread and butter of a moon druid is to cast call lightning while flying around. Literally the reason druids have all these multiple turn activation spells is BECAUSE they are designed to function with the beast forms. The class is designed around this entire dynamic. If Larian doesn't fix that, they may as well delete the class.

Last edited by Ankou; 03/03/21 06:10 AM.
addict
addict
Sadly I don't expect it to change, but it's another great point. Please also post in "technical and gameplay problems".

Last edited by andreasrylander; 03/03/21 06:42 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
That's a bummer.

I didn't even try it with moonbeam. That spells feels like the indoor lightning bolt for sure hehe, except we get to choose where the bolt is striking too. I had fun with it.

I trried the Flaming Sphere a few times, but it felt a bit wonky and kept getting disrupted. Seems like would have been more fun if done in a similar way to the moonbeam instead of as a summon for that one.

For wild shape, I always pictured the shapeshifted animal or elemental form as being similar conceptually to the conjuring or summons version of the spells. Like as if it pulled an actual animal from nearby into the Druids space for their mind to inhabit. Maybe the druid's normal physical body is phasing into some other space or nature plane, while there consciousness remains to enter the animal directly. Or their disembodied mind can manipulate the nature magic in the zone like a puppet master while that's happening too. To me that just seems like a more fitting explanation of why the HP works as it does, and gives a sort of logic to the animal forms available, as opposed to like a polymorph transmogrify into anything you can think of or that you've seen before with the right CR. But that's more like a lore or supporting explanation thing in my head I guess hehe. Wink at GOT " but backwards!" where it's the bodies teleporting to the wherever the minds were located rather than vice versa. That sort of works. Maybe the bear mind is hanging out in the human's body during that same time, just sort of chilling wherever the bear was called from, maybe down by the river lol. Anyhow, that's kinda how I pictured it explaining how the class features persist. Basically the druid becoming disembodied or sending their body somewhere else, while controlling the nature magic in the room + the called animal that they brought in to inhabit. But anyway, yeah, it would be cooler if we retained the class features and ability to manipulate the stuff that's already in play, whether lightning or flames or moonbeams or whatever

Ankou Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
It wouldn't just be cooler, it would be the way it's supposed to work. I'm very worried about this, because it really does ruin the class. It's meant to be a full caster, including when you're shapeshifted. The way they've implemented flaming sphere scares the crap out of me if they only way they can give you something you can use is a summoned object. This is a big problem now, but it will be an absolute disaster if druid can't use its bread and butter, call lightning, properly.

T
stranger
stranger
T
If they don't include that then I hope add something else to wild shape

Ankou Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
As it is wild shape is nerfed into oblivion. You can't control your concentration spells, you can't attack twice as a bear, the whole thing is messed up.

Link Copied to Clipboard