Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Dec 2020
A
Adiktus Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
A
Joined: Dec 2020
Entered the Gnoll/Flind fight from the cave, alongside Olly and Rugan, for a change. First thing that happens is a Gnoll shoots my Rogue and hits.

As far as I can reconstruct, this somehow blew up all the flasks of water she was carrying (one was certainly depicted during the carnage, and she started with several and ended up with none), and created a "surface of healing" (that was also on fire) behind us in the cave that lasted for 10 turns or so and was marked by little puffs of blue smoke.

Was too busy surviving to work out whether the surface *actually* healed, but can anyone explain WTH was going on?

Joined: Nov 2020
O
OcO Offline
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
O
Joined: Nov 2020
A potion of healing thrown on the ground produces a healing puddle anyone can walk over to use up the heal.

I've not tested it myself but heard that various surfaces can be combined to create new affects. Sounds to me like a potion of healing and bottle of grease both got destroying merging them into a healing grease that was then set on fire producing healing flames.

Joined: Sep 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Sep 2020
Healing Flames sounds so diabolically awesome though !!

Joined: Sep 2015
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2015
If this is true we need to report this as bug.
Potions are there to drink them.

Imagine the following dialogue:
patient: Doctor, Doctor I am still feeling very cold all the time.
doctor: Did you drink the medicine I gave you?
patient: No, I threw it on some mud on the ground and then I was standing in it for hours during a snow storm.


groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Potion throwing is a confirmed intended feature. Yeah, I know, it's gamey. I wouldn't allow it at my DnD table except as a joke. But it's also something I'm willing to concede in a videogame. I'll probably only use it myself as a last resort, though.

I don't think surface effects necessarily have to come with this, it might just be a flag to remove, similar to how they removed them from cantrips.


Optimistically Apocalyptic
Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
And there are still people who are here to say it isn't a DOS3 rebranded as Baldur's Gate.
Healing surfaces stacking over other surfaces. Wonderful.

Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
I just tried a bit and I wasn't able to create healing flames (not sure it was a joke or not... Everything is possible with Larian).

But yes, the healing surface is a reality.
A stupid reality because

1) it's useless, you can pick in everyone's inventory at any time
2) you can already use spells if you want to heal an ally that is not in your party
3) it's ridiculous and again, it just makes no sense. Another immersion breaking mechanics.

I guess it was too hard to implement an action to put a potion in someone's mouth... Or maybe it wasn't "fun" enough.

Joined: Feb 2021
P
addict
Offline
addict
P
Joined: Feb 2021
I am assuming this is a bug, I have never had this happen. Might be some scrap code in the latest patch.

Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
I am assuming this is a bug, I have never had this happen. Might be some scrap code in the latest patch.

It's not.

Healing surfaces through healing potions exists since the beginning. (Once someone cross this surface, he's healed and the surface dissapear)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 04/03/21 06:26 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
It's probably just an unintentional side effect of every potion or bottle being throwable to form a surface.

I'm not even sure it needs to be patched out. We don't need it because direct inventory transfer is so easy, but at least it's consistent with how other throwables work in the game. If you can form a status-affecting surface by throwing a bottle of water or poison, then why wouldn't it work the same way with a healing potion?

Last edited by Frumpkis; 04/03/21 06:41 PM.
Joined: Nov 2020
B
Banned
Offline
Banned
B
Joined: Nov 2020
THere where healing surfaces in DOS also..... so why is it a problem?

Joined: Mar 2021
member
Offline
member
Joined: Mar 2021
Originally Posted by Baldurs-Gate-Fan
THere where healing surfaces in DOS also..... so why is it a problem?

Because this is supposed to be a 5th edition DnD game, and Larian is seemingly incapable of adapting or creating new game mechanics, and are instead just implementing DOS features?

Joined: Nov 2020
O
OcO Offline
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
O
Joined: Nov 2020
Flame away but I don't really find "healing puddles" to be either immersion breaking or unrealistic(at least no more unrealistic than casting magic spells etc).

Magic healing potions are just that "MAGIC". I don't see why the substance can't be absorbed through the skin and has to be drank in order for it to work.

Joined: Mar 2021
member
Offline
member
Joined: Mar 2021
Originally Posted by OcO
Flame away but I don't really find "healing puddles" to be either immersion breaking or unrealistic(at least no more unrealistic than casting magic spells etc).

Magic healing potions are just that "MAGIC". I don't see why the substance can't be absorbed through the skin and has to be drank in order for it to work.

Right...because walking through a puddle of magical liquid that heals you when ingested due to it's magical properties should be able to work as well if you pour it out on the ground and go stand in it while wearing boots.

Joined: Nov 2020
addict
Online Content
addict
Joined: Nov 2020
I don't think potions contents healing for less on contact instead of drinking is particularly unimmersive as they are magical and a similar effect happens with poisons and other throwables. Tbh, though, it's not that useful.

Joined: Nov 2020
O
OcO Offline
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
O
Joined: Nov 2020
Originally Posted by Grudgebearer
Originally Posted by OcO
Flame away but I don't really find "healing puddles" to be either immersion breaking or unrealistic(at least no more unrealistic than casting magic spells etc).

Magic healing potions are just that "MAGIC". I don't see why the substance can't be absorbed through the skin and has to be drank in order for it to work.

Right...because walking through a puddle of magical liquid that heals you when ingested due to it's magical properties should be able to work as well if you pour it out on the ground and go stand in it while wearing boots.

Snark aside I'll concede to your point on wearing boots, but stand by what I said about the healing ability being able to be applied through skin contact.

Ingesting it allows its properties to be absorbed through the flesh instantly. So why would it not work by pouring it into a wound itself to be absorbed through the flesh there or (with no boots on) absorbed through the flesh of the foot?

Edit: spelling

Edit 2: If healing potion took time to be ingested before they applied their healing ability I would not come to the conclusion I did. However they don't. Soon as it hits your mouth you are healed...aka the heal is absorbed before ingestion.

Last edited by OcO; 05/03/21 06:33 PM.
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
S
addict
Offline
addict
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
Originally Posted by OcO
Flame away but I don't really find "healing puddles" to be either immersion breaking or unrealistic(at least no more unrealistic than casting magic spells etc).

Magic healing potions are just that "MAGIC". I don't see why the substance can't be absorbed through the skin and has to be drank in order for it to work.

Because it breaks the verisimilitude of the setting. Potions are meant to be ingested to take effect. Also it requires a bonus action in BG3. In this case you just have to move to a puddle.

I never played DOS because of its reputation of silly mechanics. I had hoped Larian would take the BG3 license more seriously. I was clearly wrong if healing puddles are intentional among other things. I won't be fooled again by Larian in the future.

Joined: Oct 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Grudgebearer
Right...because walking through a puddle of magical liquid that heals you when ingested due to it's magical properties should be able to work as well if you pour it out on the ground and go stand in it while wearing boots.

Boots don't keep you from being instantly affected by an acid pool or any other surface status effect.

The fact that potions work this way only seems weird because the convention in games like this is drinking them. That's still how we're all going to be using them, so I don't see this as a major problem. At least the mechanics are consistent with how other liquids work in the game world.

Joined: Mar 2021
member
Offline
member
Joined: Mar 2021
Originally Posted by OcO
Originally Posted by Grudgebearer
Originally Posted by OcO
Flame away but I don't really find "healing puddles" to be either immersion breaking or unrealistic(at least no more unrealistic than casting magic spells etc).

Magic healing potions are just that "MAGIC". I don't see why the substance can't be absorbed through the skin and has to be drank in order for it to work.

Right...because walking through a puddle of magical liquid that heals you when ingested due to it's magical properties should be able to work as well if you pour it out on the ground and go stand in it while wearing boots.

Snark aside I'll concede to your point on wearing boots, but stand by what I said about the healing ability being able to be applied through skin contact.

Ingesting it allows its properties to be absorbed through the flesh instantly. So why would it not work by pouring it into a wound itself to be absorbed through the flesh there or (with no boots on) absorbed through the flesh of the foot?

Edit: spelling

Edit 2: If healing potion took time to be ingested before they applied their healing ability I would not come to the conclusion I did. However they don't. Soon as it hits your mouth you are healed...aka the heal is absorbed before ingestion.

I mean, aside from it being completely bunk to just say "magic" as a catch all for a mechanic like that, it yet again removes another aspect of action economy where you have to choose whether or not to drink a potion; just toss one out on the ground in the first round if you don't have anything better to do and wait and walk on it as needed.

It's one of those changes, that was A) wholly unnecessary, and bring nothing to the game play and B) is just another DOS aspect that they've tossed into the game, that is completely incongruous with the DnD setting.

Joined: Mar 2021
member
Offline
member
Joined: Mar 2021
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
Originally Posted by Grudgebearer
Right...because walking through a puddle of magical liquid that heals you when ingested due to it's magical properties should be able to work as well if you pour it out on the ground and go stand in it while wearing boots.

Boots don't keep you from being instantly affected by an acid pool or any other surface status effect.

The fact that potions work this way only seems weird because the convention in games like this is drinking them. That's still how we're all going to be using them, so I don't see this as a major problem. At least the mechanics are consistent with how other liquids work in the game world.

And you could argue that acid is burning through your boot and that's where the damage comes from, due to it being acid; last time I checked healing potions don't break down equipment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5