Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Pretty self-explanatory. Too often I get a rogue into what I think is a valid sneak attack position, but for some reason it doesn't proc and just does a normal attack; mostly with ranged attacks. As a fundamental class ability this needs to be clearly defined. If I'm not going to get the extra damage dice, I need to know before I make the attack Action. The sneak attack exists as a seperate button already so it just needs to either be greyed out, or give a prompt that the selected target is invalid.

veteran
veteran
+1
The Sneak Attack Icon should be greyed out if a sneak attack cannot be made.
Furthermore, if you miss on your Sneak Attack and you have a remaining attack, you should be able to use Sneak Attack on that attack (per 5e rules).
Finally, all attacks of opportunity made by rogues should by default be sneak attacks if the appropriate criteria are met (again, per 5e rules).

All this would be solved if sneak attack was applied automatically instead of being a dedicated icon, but I prefer being given the option to sneak attack with your main or off hand instead of it applying on the first successful hit.

apprentice
apprentice
You can already check if your sneak attack is valid by looking at your % of hit chance, you'll see a portion of the circle for it.

old hand
old hand
Are you thinking of the Backstab Advantage indicator, @Dapoolp? Having advantage is one of the things that grant Sneak Attack, but there are many other ways to get advantage too.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
- You get a sneak attack if you have advantage or the enemy is threatened by someone else and you do not have disadvantage.
- You have only one sneak attack per turn, but you could have several attacks per turn.

So yes, you have to select if you want to make a sneak attack or not.
It might help if you can select sneak attack only once per turn and if it shows "invalid target" if the requirements are not met.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
stranger
stranger
Like Dapoolp said, there are ways to tell if you have sneak attack, especially with how many ways Larian gives advantage (btw, NOT getting into that debate since I don't have an opinion on it). However, I also am not sure why sneak attack needs to be a dedicated skill button and not applied automatically. Perhaps it's to avoid having sneak attack more than once for dual wielders/haste without overly complicating the coding? Unfortunately, I find it more common that I forget to click the button...

veteran
veteran
Isn't there currently some bug in Patch 4 where Advantage isn't displaying properly? As in, the game says you have Advantage (due to height?) but you don't actually have it when the attack is rolled. There's some thread about this but I don't feel like finding it...

This might be why @Elessaria666 is getting normal attacks then they expect a sneak attack.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Isn't there currently some bug in Patch 4 where Advantage isn't displaying properly? As in, the game says you have Advantage (due to height?) but you don't actually have it when the attack is rolled. There's some thread about this but I don't feel like finding it...

This might be why @Elessaria666 is getting normal attacks then they expect a sneak attack.
Possibly, thanks for the heads up!

veteran
veteran
I would also like to see it more clearly ...
There was some sugestion around here some time back, where it was asked for player to see all the things he could do to improve his chances of landing a strike, instead of just % chance to hit ...

It would be nice to also give there some sneak attack check.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
D
D
Originally Posted by RimeSword
However, I also am not sure why sneak attack needs to be a dedicated skill button and not applied automatically.
If you have more then 1 attack per turn you could use sneak damage on the second. Even if the first hits. You can finish off a low hp target, and then move to stab another one.
I think it should be a toggle. Make a regular attack. If the toggle is on and requirements are met - you get extra damage.

JoB Offline
Banned
Banned
It would be good to know, especially because some people playing this are unfamiliar with 5e rules. The sneak attack is a core feature of the class, but it's not at all clear when it works.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dastan McKay
Originally Posted by RimeSword
However, I also am not sure why sneak attack needs to be a dedicated skill button and not applied automatically.
If you have more then 1 attack per turn you could use sneak damage on the second. Even if the first hits. You can finish off a low hp target, and then move to stab another one.
I think it should be a toggle. Make a regular attack. If the toggle is on and requirements are met - you get extra damage.

It absolutely should be a toggle, not an action. If the toggle is on, and conditions are met, it should automatically sneak attack.

veteran
veteran
Fortunately, familiarity with the 5e rules is not really required or helpful for determining if you'll get sneak attack in this game, so that's one issue solved, I guess.

A problem worth noting instead is that even if you meet the requirements that this game dictates and describes for it itself, you often will not get it anyway.

For example: If you do NOT have advantage, and you sneak-attack-shoot at an enemy that you have an ally engaged with, the game tells you that this is valid for sneak attack, however, you will NOT get sneak attack in this situation.

veteran
veteran
Well, until its toggle i want to see if i shall use my Sneak Attack, or if i should use my elemental arrow to do maximum damage.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
T
stranger
stranger
T
Only way I've found to know you can sneak attack is by hovering over the enemy and making sure you have advantage (getting behind or above is generally guaranteed). However, I don't know if having an advantage and a disadvantage cancel out the advantage needed to trigger the extra dmg from the sneak attack.

Weird bug I noticed in the latest version is sometimes you must hover over the enemy's feet or lower body to have advantage applied (and increase hit chance). Hovering above a certain point on the enemy has a lower chance to hit and no advantage. I've mainly noticed this with ranged attacks. Happens a lot.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by tehkitteh
Only way I've found to know you can sneak attack is by hovering over the enemy and making sure you have advantage (getting behind or above is generally guaranteed). However, I don't know if having an advantage and a disadvantage cancel out the advantage needed to trigger the extra dmg from the sneak attack.

Weird bug I noticed in the latest version is sometimes you must hover over the enemy's feet or lower body to have advantage applied (and increase hit chance). Hovering above a certain point on the enemy has a lower chance to hit and no advantage. I've mainly noticed this with ranged attacks. Happens a lot.
I suspect this is due to a vertical advantage threshold using pixels rather than a single point on the target enemy, so aiming lower down crosses that threshold.

Link Copied to Clipboard