Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
R
stranger
stranger
R
Originally Posted by Millions
I totally agree with OP on this one, I’m finding the combat very frustrating and not very fun.

I see a lot of people putting out the advice: backstab, high-ground, scrolls! ...but this is supposed to be a ROLE-PLAYING game. I don’t want to have to resort to playing all of my characters like a ranged-rogue. I want to use all of my characters unique spells and skills!

And, I mean, at least in my experience the RNG during combat is so unfavorable towards the player. During dialog choices it feels a bit better, but definitely not combat. I’ve missed so many “85% chance to hit” shots that I now consider 85% to be more like 30% and anything below 60% to just being an automatic miss.

...and you know this would be okay if it also applied to the enemy AI but it absolutely does not. They have way better accuracy and damage.

Just tonight I was trying to take the goblin camp...I had the high ground with an 85% chance to hit using my Warlock’s Eldritch Blast. It missed 3 times in a row and when it finally connected it only did 3 damage. On the next turn a level 2 goblin from a lower position sniped me for 8 hit points and caused my character to fall off a cliff instantly killing me.

Like...I have never had anywhere CLOSE to that same kind of luck on my turns. It shouldn’t be this frustrating to fight a bunch of low level goblins.

Tend to agree with this.

I found combat either too hard or too easy.

Too hard when you played "normally" ie as you would the first time you walked in there without exploiting the mechanics - you frequently get disadvantage of low ground, grenades getting lobbed and taking damage 2 or 3 times from it, missing many attacks with <45% chance to hit, missing spells due to low ground disadvantage etc.

Too easy when you knew what was coming, carefully positioned your party and/or used known exploits - high ground advantage (suddenly your to hit chance is 95% ffs!), just eat a pig's head after getting shot by a duergar with 3 attacks (!), shove people off things for 3 x damage you could do with your weapon etc.

I'm not sure either experience was optimal. I feel like with a well balanced, robust party not every encounter should have you in mortal peril!

A
addict
addict
A
I totally agree with OP on this one, I’m finding the combat very frustrating and not very fun.

I see a lot of people putting out the advice: backstab, high-ground, scrolls! ...but this is supposed to be a ROLE-PLAYING game. I don’t want to have to resort to playing all of my characters like a ranged-rogue. I want to use all of my characters unique spells and skills!
Well, I am currently playing a druid, and she has been using shapeshifting, spells and melee in various encounters. Out of this, the only thing she isn't that good is melee, because her stat distribution is fitting a spellcaster more, and also because I'm not very good with melee classes in general. A bit ironic, because a lot of time in cRPGs people recommend fighters as easy to play, but it isn't so for me.

So far my experience with the druid that they are very flexible and open up a lot of possibilities for the party. Of course what works depends on the companions, not only their strengths, but also weaknesses. For example, my current party has two characters vulnerable to sleep, so they occassionaly get knocked out. And since one of them is Laezel, that can pose some problems in melee. Though the sleeping animation is kind of cute, lol.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ash elemental

Well, I am currently playing a druid, and she has been using shapeshifting, spells and melee in various encounters. Out of this, the only thing she isn't that good is melee, because her stat distribution is fitting a spellcaster more, and also because I'm not very good with melee classes in general. A bit ironic, because a lot of time in cRPGs people recommend fighters as easy to play, but it isn't so for me.

So far my experience with the druid that they are very flexible and open up a lot of possibilities for the party. Of course what works depends on the companions, not only their strengths, but also weaknesses. For example, my current party has two characters vulnerable to sleep, so they occassionaly get knocked out. And since one of them is Laezel, that can pose some problems in melee. Though the sleeping animation is kind of cute, lol.

That's not really related to this thread but Shillelagh allow you to use weapons with your wisdom (shillelagh or flame blade - 1H + shield or dualwield).
Druids are really not so bad in melee.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 10/03/21 02:20 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
That's not really related to this thread but Shillelagh allow you to use weapons with your wisdom (shillelagh or flame blade - 1H + shield or dualwield).
Druids are really not so bad in melee.
But I am at playing melee characters. So it balances out. laugh

stranger
stranger
I find BG3 combat very easy really but of course it is some messed up version of 5e (if even that).

Coming from playing so many different TTRPG's since the 80's (D&D being the main one since 2nd ed on up) this is simple. NOW if you think BG3 is hard, for those who have not tried playing TT D&D I suggest, if possible, you do. Then we can talk and compare.

enthusiast
enthusiast
You're kidding right? There's an insane amount of cheese and gimmicks that is beyond ridiculous. Of course i wasn't expecting anything near challenging since it's Larian.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 15/03/21 05:04 PM.
M
Banned
Banned
M
I think this game has just right difficulty level. You can make it so much easier if you start abusing potion of hill giants, speed potions and invisibility potions. Also stealth is broken. You can just kill everything with one character and stealth. Just go behind wall or rock and shoot arrows, go hide, shoot arrows etc. Enemies just eat those arrows and be like "What's that? Arrow to the head? Just another day, nothing to be worried about.". frown

journeyman
journeyman
For how homo they are about stealing good game strategies, you'd think they could implement them to at least build a more challenging AI.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
it is good when it is hard and nice when it requires strategy but it must not be unfairly difficult and it can be varied

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MrSam
I think this game has just right difficulty level. You can make it so much easier if you start abusing potion of hill giants, speed potions and invisibility potions. Also stealth is broken. You can just kill everything with one character and stealth. Just go behind wall or rock and shoot arrows, go hide, shoot arrows etc. Enemies just eat those arrows and be like "What's that? Arrow to the head? Just another day, nothing to be worried about.". frown

You don't really have to use this.
Just care about backstab and highground (the intended basics) and really, the game is easy with a party of 4.

I recently ended a playthrough with a solo druid.
Except the 10 firsts hours, it's the only challenge I have ever had and it's doable without potion of hill giant or exploiting hide...

As soon as you know the basics you understand how bad the balance is. The difficulty of some encounters only exist because a few ennemies have WTF features and can OS your characters... nothing more.
Strategy is close to 0 in this game.

The harder combats would be a joke if we could reach level 5.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 16/03/21 06:04 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by GristlyKnuckle
For how homo they are about stealing good game strategies, you'd think they could implement them to at least build a more challenging AI.
Please be a little more careful about the words you choose to express negativity.

N
N
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by MrSam

You don't really have to use this.
Just care about backstab and highground (the intended basics) and really, the game is easy with a party of 4.

I recently ended a playthrough with a solo druid.
Except the 10 firsts hours, it's the only challenge I have ever had and it's doable without potion of hill giant or exploiting hide...

As soon as you know the basics you understand how bad the balance is. The difficulty of some encounters only exist because a few ennemies have WTF features and can OS your characters... nothing more.
Strategy is close to 0 in this game.

The harder combats would be a joke if we could reach level 5.

How do you manage the Fights in the Underdark with a solo Druid?

M
Banned
Banned
M
How do you manage the Fights in the Underdark with a solo Druid?

Go to YouTube, type "sin tee" in search bar and watch his most recent video. It's super easy especially if you prepare before the fights.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I thought the game was pretty challenging on my 1st playthrough. On my second it was trivial. Somethings that need to change;

You should not be able to use the camera to scout through closed doors. Those bad guys inside should be able to jump me the second I open the door and I should be able to spy on them by panning the camera through the door. Same thing with secret rooms. It kinda defeats the purpose of a secret room when you can see the room through the wall.

You should not be able to gain advantage for having the high ground or by standing behind an enemy. Having free advantage all the time completely breaks the 5e rules set and makes stuff like Sneak Attack completely broken.

You should not be able to surprise almost every encounter by attacking them while they are in conversation with another character.

Starting the fight with 1 character while the other 3 hide in the shadows or in the rafters is REALLY cheesy and that tactic can be used on almost every encounter. You basically get a free opening attack with 3 out of 4 party members. I think its ok that this is a strategy, but enemies need a LOT more health so that your alpha strike does not remove half the enemies in the encounter before they get to act.

M
Banned
Banned
M
@Rippley

So basically you want to take Rogues main attacking style away and leave him with nothing but regular attack. Rogues don't even get second attack at 5th level. Damn, that's cold, I'd hate be a rogue!

In every game there are ways to "cheat" and make the game easy. It's on you to decide whether you want to be a cheater. In real life you can stab someone in the back, you just have to decide do you want to be that kind of person.

Last edited by MrSam; 16/03/21 04:16 PM.
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Baldur's gate 3 is way too heavy, the balance is wrong at the back and front, way too heavy

veteran
veteran
Look here the other thread about difficulty

Short version:
- The game is hard if you play it like a DnD game
- The game is easy if you abuse all the stuff that Larian changed compared to DnD

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
stranger
stranger
Yea, the game is a cake a walk if you hide, attack, hide. The enemies are too stupid to properly perceive the player and their perception field is too narrow. But even the stealth system has issues, detection is global and neutral/friendly creatures are able to break you out of stealth. 5e as a whole made magical gear common and a necessity to be able to play balanced, However Larian has made those far and few between and are "cursed" in the sense that they are detrimental as well.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It's because is not an actual D&D game, you have to play it like a Larian Gimmickfest. Barrelmancer, Throwmancer or Stealthmancer. Don't forget to always climb the high ground lol.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 16/03/21 06:51 PM.
G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by ShadowVVolf
Yea, the game is a cake a walk if you hide, attack, hide. The enemies are too stupid to properly perceive the player and their perception field is too narrow. But even the stealth system has issues, detection is global and neutral/friendly creatures are able to break you out of stealth.

This. Pretty much all fights can be solo'd, except for that one creature down under that heals out of combat.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard