Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Z
addict
addict
Z
Originally Posted by MrSam
@Wolfenring

Literally every question you have is answered in the video. He is 4th level Wood Elf thief and he took moderately armored feat instead of ability increase at 4th level because that way he could increase his dexterity to 18 and get to wear medium armor to get AC to 17. You get penalty to stealth from wearing medium armor but he said that he doesn't care because he doesn't use stealth.

Anyways, how can you even play the game if you didn't get those answers from watching the video? I mean those answers literally hits in your face and you didn't get them, lord have mercy.

Penalty to stealth is mitigated by wood elf anyways and the guy abuses invis pots as well, so who needs stealth when you have true invis to guarantee surprise attacks and first turn from backstab. Potion of Speed on top to get an extra turn over the enemy as they derp around plotting next turn. Brilliant combat design.

veteran
veteran
About high ground and backstab ...
Im not sure what game it was, but in some i read one tip in loading screen stuck in my head:
Whenever possible, try to bypass the enemy's defences and attack from the side, history will not ask how heroic your failed frontal attack looked.

Anyways, how can you even play the game if you didn't get those answers from watching the video? I mean those answers literally hits you in the face and you didn't get them, lord have mercy.
I presume he just jumped to 2:47 wink

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
M
Banned
Banned
M
@Zenith

Except you can get same AC of 17 from wearing studded leather armor +1 which you can get in EA and don't have to get any penalty to stealth. Or from wearing robe and casting mage armor scroll.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wolfenring
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Look here the other thread about difficulty

Short version:
- The game is hard if you play it like a DnD game
- The game is easy if you abuse all the stuff that Larian changed compared to DnD

and what are these things?

Its also written in the link I posted.
short and incomplete list:
- When there is some shadow/darkness: shoot at the enemy, hide and move a bit, repeat. When enemies cannot see you they just do nothing and wait to be killed.
- Drop some explosive barrels near the enemy, then blow them up.
- Attack enemies from behind to get backstab advantage. Jump behind them if walking would provoke AoO.
- When using ranged attacks always shoot from above to get hight advantage.
- Place your party away from the enemy and unchain them. The first char sneaks to the enemy and uses his best ability from a good position from stealth. Then the second char sneaks to the enemy and uses the best ability from a good position from stealth. And so on, don´t forget summons or animal companions.
- Every char has a candle. Dropping, igniting and picking it up is a free action. Dip your weapon in the candle for extra fire damage. Always pick it up so you do not forget it. Dipping a weapon breaks stealth so be careful if you start combat this way.
- Shove enemies off the map. When they cannot see you (stealth or invisible) shove has 100% success chance. You miss the loot though.

There are more things, but these things make the game pathetically easy.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
@Wolfenring

Literally every question you have is answered in the video. He is 4th level Wood Elf thief and he took moderately armored feat instead of ability increase at 4th level because that way he could increase his dexterity to 18 and get to wear medium armor to get AC to 17. You get penalty to stealth from wearing medium armor but he said that he doesn't care because he doesn't use stealth.

Anyways, how can you even play the game if you didn't get those answers from watching the video? I mean those answers literally hits you in the face and you didn't get them, lord have mercy.

i don't understand english, so translate everything here with google translate but thanks for the help

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W

Short version:
- The game is easy if you abuse all the stuff that Larian changed compared to DnD

- When there is some shadow/darkness: shoot at the enemy, hide and move a bit, repeat. When enemies cannot see you they just do nothing and wait to be killed.
- Attack enemies from behind to get backstab advantage. Jump behind them if walking would provoke AoO.
- Place your party away from the enemy and unchain them. The first char sneaks to the enemy and uses his best ability from a good position from stealth. Then the second char sneaks to the enemy and uses the best ability from a good position from stealth. And so on, don´t forget summons or animal companions.
- Every char has a candle. Dropping, igniting and picking it up is a free action. Dip your weapon in the candle for extra fire damage. Always pick it up so you do not forget it. Dipping a weapon breaks stealth so be careful if you start combat this way.
- Shove enemies off the map. When they cannot see you (stealth or invisible) shove has 100% success chance. You miss the loot though.

thank you, it's just stupid if you have to translate everything into German and then back into English to ask. but thank you already.
I still have a problem somehow the invisibility potions seem to be very rare, but in the video he uses them more often or .. the villain's exact tactics I still have a hard time the way he plays it.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W

Short version:

thank you, it's just stupid if you have to translate everything into German and then back into English to ask. but thank you already.
I still have a problem somehow the invisibility potions seem to be very rare, but in the video he uses them more often or .. the villain's exact tactics I still have a hard time the way he plays it.why is he taking a speed drink? before an attack? speed that you can do another action so attack again?

M
Banned
Banned
M
@Wolfenring

When you drink potion of speed you get haste. Haste has these effects, "Target's speed is doubled. It also gains a +2 bonus to AC, advantage to Dex. saves and 1 additional action." so you get one extra main hand attack.

You can buy invisibility potions from Auntie Ethel from Druid Grove and Roah Moonglow from Shattered Sanctum (Goblin camp). When you take long rest, merchants usually replenish their stock so you can buy more potions after resting.

Can you change the language setting in BG3 or how do you manage to play it if you don't understand english?

Last edited by MrSam; 17/03/21 12:04 PM.
veteran
veteran
I play the game in german and my steam account is set to german.
I am not sure were I could change the language of the game.
Do I have to do it in the steam settings?

Apart from the bugs I have posted, the german translation is good.

Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
yes for me it's not a problem in german but on the video it wasn't in german so i struggled a bit, but now i found it with me.
As I understand now, he takes the invisibility potion in the first fight at the beginning with a main attack and so the opponent is surprised so he can attack again after the end of his round, and in the second he takes the speed potion and therefore has another action free . I'm slowly getting behind it, still having a hard time surprising the opponents. Do you have any tips?

but to be surprised you have to attack it from behind or from the side, so it doesn't matter what kind of attack or does it have to be the main attack?

can I let opponents look in a different direction so that I can attack covertly without being discovered?

Last edited by Wolfenring; 17/03/21 12:25 PM.
veteran
veteran
I guess surprize means only that you attack first before the enemy detects you.

Unless the fight starts after a conversation, you should always be able to surprize the enemy.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
yes you would think, somehow I almost never manage hehe

Is there actually a possibility to realign your skills and talents or do you have to start a new game every time, especially with regard to early access, if you have an advantage then you could test more.

veteran
veteran
I do not think that you can change skills or talents in DnD 5E.
You can learn new ones, but you cannot change the ones you have.

N
N
I play the game in german and my steam account is set to german.
I am not sure were I could change the language of the game.
Do I have to do it in the steam settings?

Apart from the bugs I have posted, the german translation is good.

Die deutsche Sprache in BG 3 hat RTL II Niveau

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by agouzov
Originally Posted by Dexai
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
All classes aren't supposed to be able to backstab, that's another big issue that trivializes the whole Class System which is almost as fake as the one they have in DOS2. You even have backstabbing bears here.

What? Backstab is just Larians take on the flanking rules.

By the rules, [i]no[/] class is supposed to be able to backstab. Backstabbing is something Larian has added, not something they've moved from one class to all.

I actually think it's Larian's implementation on the combat facing rules (from chapter 8 of the Dungeon Master's Guide). Basically, shield bonus only applies to attacks from the front or the same side of the shield, and attacks from behind have advantage.

It's an obscure variant rule that few tables actually use, but it's technically a legit D&D 5e mechanic.

You are probably right, I didn't actually know of that rule myself.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
The game still does not make a serious effort to teach new players how to play it.

Its not only an issue with teaching players how to Larian cheese, many people, especially fans of older BG games, do not want to play a bunny hopping fortnite character, no matter how well the game explains it.

Z
addict
addict
Z
@Wolfenring

When you drink potion of speed you get haste. Haste has these effects, "Target's speed is doubled. It also gains a +2 bonus to AC, advantage to Dex. saves and 1 additional action." so you get one extra main hand attack.

You can buy invisibility potions from Auntie Ethel from Druid Grove and Roah Moonglow from Shattered Sanctum (Goblin camp). When you take long rest, merchants usually replenish their stock so you can buy more potions after resting.

Can you change the language setting in BG3 or how do you manage to play it if you don't understand english?

Too bad you need to leave alive the sadistic hag or the slavetrader halfling to keep access to OP options. I chose to wreck them like the shitheads they are and deserve. Game was a lot harder as a result, but nothing Lazael or Shadowheart (aka Inflict Wounds lady) can't fix.

A lot of the conversational perks of charisma also revolve around letting villains get off easy, so you don't feel rewarded for passing charisma skill checks.

enthusiast
enthusiast
@Rippley

So basically you want to take Rogues main attacking style away and leave him with nothing but regular attack. Rogues don't even get second attack at 5th level. Damn, that's cold, I'd hate be a rogue!

In every game there are ways to "cheat" and make the game easy. It's on you to decide whether you want to be a cheater. In real life you can stab someone in the back, you just have to decide do you want to be that kind of person.

All classes aren't supposed to be able to backstab, that's another big issue that trivializes the whole Class System which is almost as fake as the one they have in DOS2. You even have backstabbing bears here.

What? Backstab is just Larians take on the flanking rules.

By the rules, [i]no[/] class is supposed to be able to backstab. Backstabbing is something Larian has added, not something they've moved from one class to all.

Apparently for Larian, a D&D ruleset is whatever they feel like it so no surprises here. I know that in 5e for they changed it to Sneak Attacks for Rogues instead of having an official backstab ability since it's the most dumbed down ruleset but i still don't agree how they implemented the whole flanking system in this game. A lot of stuff needs a massive nerf ( Height Advantage, Stealth ) and particularly changing a bunch of bonus actions to full actions ( Jump, Hide ). Cause i don't see them deleting the massive amount of grenades, projectiles, healing sources and barrels anyway.

The whole "Not adjusted for Newbies" thing could easily be fixed with a complete scripted combat tutorial that can be unchecked/untoggled by players the second time they start a new game. Personally I prefer discovering stuff instead of being spoonfed like a whiny baby all the time, specially in crpgs. I still don't like how insanely easy and exploitable this game is atm.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 17/03/21 02:16 PM.
old hand
old hand
Backstab was changed to sneak attack in 3.0. Rogues are still the only class with sneak attack in BG3. Backstab in BG3 has nothing to do with 2nd ed backstabbing. It's not an equivalent kind of ability. There's no reason to say no class but rogues should get Backstab advantage just because Thieves had a completely different ability I 2nd ed that was called backstab. That's just... it doesn't even enter into the computation. It's irrelevant.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
enthusiast
enthusiast
Backstab was changed to sneak attack in 3.0. Rogues are still the only class with sneak attack in BG3. Backstab in BG3 has nothing to do with 2nd ed backstabbing. It's not an equivalent kind of ability. There's no reason to say no class but rogues should get Backstab advantage just because Thieves had a completely different ability I 2nd ed that was called backstab. That's just... it doesn't even enter into the computation. It's irrelevant.

The thing is there's nothing special about a rogue in this game because of how busted flanking is atm where everyone just bunny hops to each other back's like froggers. Which is why melee feels also stupid. Stuff like that is what is trivializing classes in general. Just having a reskinned and slightly different version of the same class and calling it other class doesn't cut it up for me.

Originally Posted by Thomson
Again Larian, Stealth should not the Invisible Spell and enemies shouldn't be able to detect Invisible characters even if they are close to each other. Invisibility should be voided by any action or by taking dmg and should only be allowed for scouting areas ahead because it still gonna give you the first action advantage. So no placing 9000 barrels or crates while invisible either since each placement should count as an actual action.
Honestly I think this is beyond redemption. When you want to use spells, attacks, and tactics to defeat your enemies like in D&D 5e, you should play Solasta.

When you want to have fun using Barrelmancy, Backstab Stealthing, Pit Shoving, and High Ground Jumping, then Baldur's Gate III is the game for you.

Solasta and Pathfinder.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 17/03/21 03:17 PM.
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard