Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Oct 2020
Z
Zenith Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Z
Joined: Oct 2020
It's so immensely dumb how a damn polar bear is getting 1-2 shot at lv4 because of garbage AC and turning bark skin into a concentration spell (another trash mechanic that makes many spells useless) makes it so my humanoid form at lv4 is way more survivable at 17 AC than the polar bear.

With Shillelagh and the Githyanki plate and the Dex bonus from lv4 stat boost, my Tiefling moon druid has seen his forms become basically obsolete and makes Land more attractive if not for the fact that like 95% of druid spells require concentration and make any kind of spell combo play impossible.

It just feels stupid. Built this druid to be some sort of tank frontliner to replace Lazael in party, but all you are is a higher HP sponge but with far less damage output because you are soaking up turns just absorbing attacks in polar bear.

Change AC on forms to carry over from humanoid or implement proper level scaling of AC for forms, and change this awful concentration system.

It should tell you something that basically much of the cheese builds are abusing Lazel or the druid's cheese build is a dual wield melee playstyle because you make spellcasting so awful with spell slot skills having % miss chance and being hamstringed by concentration despite being a limited resource and not hitting any harder than a simple greatsword autoattack that costs no limited resources.

Last edited by Zenith; 07/03/21 10:56 PM.
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
S
addict
Offline
addict
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
Originally Posted by Zenith
It's so immensely dumb how a damn polar bear is getting 1-2 shot at lv4 because of garbage AC and turning bark skin into a concentration spell (another trash mechanic that makes many spells useless) makes it so my humanoid form at lv4 is way more survivable at 17 AC than the polar bear.

With Shillelagh and the Githyanki plate and the Dex bonus from lv4 stat boost, my Tiefling moon druid has seen his forms become basically obsolete and makes Land more attractive if not for the fact that like 95% of druid spells require concentration and make any kind of spell combo play impossible.

It just feels stupid. Built this druid to be some sort of tank frontliner to replace Lazael in party, but all you are is a higher HP sponge but with far less damage output because you are soaking up turns just absorbing attacks in polar bear.

Change AC on forms to carry over from humanoid or implement proper level scaling of AC for forms, and change this awful concentration system.

It should tell you something that basically much of the cheese builds are abusing Lazel or the druid's cheese build is a dual wield melee playstyle because you make spellcasting so awful with spell slot skills having % miss chance and being hamstringed by concentration despite being a limited resource and not hitting any harder than a simple greatsword autoattack that costs no limited resources.

Your post seems to demonstrate that you are not familiar with the 5e ruleset. The low AC is necessary to keep druids in balance with other classes. Like you said, wild shape is a HP meat shield (at early levels). Add AC to that and they would be better tanks than fighters. Concentration is a mechanic created to prevent spellcasters to have a dozen buff spells running at once. Without it, encounter balance becomes difficult and almost necessitates wizards and clerics in a party, again making the fighter more obsolete.

I haven't played the druid class in BG3 yet (I don't care for the class) but what made circle of the moon special was the ability to wild shape using a bonus action. Other druids require a full action. That's a major difference but I have a feeling Larian decided to make wild shape the same for all circles thus making circle of the moon pointless.

The cheese isn't from 5e. It's Larian homebrew. Your frustration should be pointed at Larian and not requesting more deviation from 5e rules.

Last edited by spectralhunter; 07/03/21 11:10 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
Z
Zenith Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Z
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Originally Posted by Zenith
It's so immensely dumb how a damn polar bear is getting 1-2 shot at lv4 because of garbage AC and turning bark skin into a concentration spell (another trash mechanic that makes many spells useless) makes it so my humanoid form at lv4 is way more survivable at 17 AC than the polar bear.

With Shillelagh and the Githyanki plate and the Dex bonus from lv4 stat boost, my Tiefling moon druid has seen his forms become basically obsolete and makes Land more attractive if not for the fact that like 95% of druid spells require concentration and make any kind of spell combo play impossible.

It just feels stupid. Built this druid to be some sort of tank frontliner to replace Lazael in party, but all you are is a higher HP sponge but with far less damage output because you are soaking up turns just absorbing attacks in polar bear.

Change AC on forms to carry over from humanoid or implement proper level scaling of AC for forms, and change this awful concentration system.

It should tell you something that basically much of the cheese builds are abusing Lazel or the druid's cheese build is a dual wield melee playstyle because you make spellcasting so awful with spell slot skills having % miss chance and being hamstringed by concentration despite being a limited resource and not hitting any harder than a simple greatsword autoattack that costs no limited resources.

Your post seems to demonstrate that you are not familiar with the 5e ruleset. The low AC is necessary to keep druids in balance with other classes. Like you said, wild shape is a HP meat shield (at early levels). Add AC to that and they would be better tanks than fighters. Concentration is a mechanic created to prevent spellcasters to have a dozen buff spells running at once. Without it, encounter balance becomes difficult and almost necessitates wizards and clerics in a party, again making the fighter more obsolete.

I haven't played the druid class in BG3 yet (I don't care for the class) but what made circle of the moon special was the ability to wild shape using a bonus action. Other druids require a full action. That's a major difference but I have a feeling Larian decided to make wild shape the same for all circles thus making circle of the moon pointless.

The cheese isn't from 5e. It's Larian homebrew. Your frustration should be pointed at Larian and not requesting more deviation from 5e rules.

I don't give a damn about some fanboy obsession with a tabletop's ruleset. I enjoyed DoS 2 caster combat far more than this snoozefest of Eldritch Bolt Warlock and Moonbeam druid.

Imbalanced against fighter? Lazael is hitting for 17-25 damage, while being tankier than my bear, having greater mobility than said bear in between jump and her base battlemaster reach, while doing 12+ damage from a bow, and all her attacks can exploit environmental surfaces with dip not to mention poison coating.

Fighters are BROKEN in this game. They have the most sustainable damage, the greatest baseline safety, and because they have the HP and AC to support backstab chasing, they don't rely on a clutch like Misty Step sucking up a spell slot just so they don't miss half their skills.

You try the Githyanki camp without cheesing barrels and without Lazael in your party and get back to me.

The bear's durability would be balanced by the fact the polar bear does 8-11 damage while Lazael does nearly double that with access to other bonus actions than a mere taunt.

Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
S
addict
Offline
addict
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
Originally Posted by Zenith
I don't give a damn about some fanboy obsession with a tabletop's ruleset. I enjoyed DoS 2 caster combat far more than this snoozefest of Eldritch Bolt Warlock and Moonbeam druid.

Imbalanced against fighter? Lazael is hitting for 17-25 damage, while being tankier than my bear, having greater mobility than said bear in between jump and her base battlemaster reach, while doing 12+ damage from a bow, and all her attacks can exploit environmental surfaces with dip not to mention poison coating.

Fighters are BROKEN in this game. They have the most sustainable damage, the greatest baseline safety, and because they have the HP and AC to support backstab chasing, they don't rely on a clutch like Misty Step sucking up a spell slot just so they don't miss half their skills.

You try the Githyanki camp without cheesing barrels and without Lazael in your party and get back to me.

The bear's durability would be balanced by the fact the polar bear does 8-11 damage while Lazael does nearly double that with access to other bonus actions than a mere taunt.

Again you are missing my point and showing unnecessary hostility. The reason things are unbalanced is because Larian is blending 5e and DOS.

You seem to like DOS combat, why stop now? Go nuts with barrelmancy and multiple actions per turn. You will be able to cruise in this game.

Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
As I said in the other thread, the druid's AC can easily reach 19 after 2 hours of gameplay. It's nearly the same as fighters.

The druid already have 2 powerfull pools of 30 HP that gives him an incredible survivability.
If AC in wildshape was the same as normal form, the druid would become way more OP.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 08/03/21 07:42 AM.
Joined: Jan 2021
T
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
T
Joined: Jan 2021
This would make druids overpowered. You can already get at least 60 hp for free by using the wildshape. Even in "normal" form druids aren't much worse at fighting than fighters, they also can cast spells.

Last edited by TheOnlyRealTav; 08/03/21 10:08 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
If you play your cards right ...
You can get druid around 120+HP (3x 30hp bear + your own) per fight ... that is quadruple compared to others, and you are still able to heal yourself ... is that not enough for you? O_o

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 08/03/21 12:14 PM.

I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Oct 2020
Z
Zenith Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Z
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
If you play your cards right ...
You can get druid around 120+HP (3x 30hp bear + your own) per fight ... that is quadruple compared to others, and you are still able to heal yourself ... is that not enough for you? O_o


No, because as you describe it my wild shape is basically a STALL button and nothing more. I selected a moon druid so I could use my wild shapes for combat, yet all they're for is to absorb 2-3 hits while doing basically no damage and being unable to adjust your moonbeam or any other spell that requires concentration.

You're not using your wild shapes for anything more than as disposable HP points.

Which is pointless because at 19 AC with shield+ necklace that gives me shield of the faithful for 21 AC total in humanoid form, going into bear form is completely inefficient as I can instead actually do damage with moonbeam and shilleighlah for far more damage and area control while avoiding most damage in the game and being abl to also heal my allies.

If I wanted to spend 90% of the time in a far better humanoid form, I would have gone Land druid.

And 120 HP is not that impressive when you're doing 7-8 damage a hit to a single target and eating 17-25 damage per turn because your AC is pathetic against lv4-5 bosses/fights. All you achieve in this game by stalling is getting your casters killed, because the enemies will just pelt Wyll or Gale and proceed to bum rush it while your bear form just sits there blowing wind at enemies.

Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Originally Posted by Zenith
I don't give a damn about some fanboy obsession with a tabletop's ruleset. I enjoyed DoS 2 caster combat far more than this snoozefest of Eldritch Bolt Warlock and Moonbeam druid.

Imbalanced against fighter? Lazael is hitting for 17-25 damage, while being tankier than my bear, having greater mobility than said bear in between jump and her base battlemaster reach, while doing 12+ damage from a bow, and all her attacks can exploit environmental surfaces with dip not to mention poison coating.

Fighters are BROKEN in this game. They have the most sustainable damage, the greatest baseline safety, and because they have the HP and AC to support backstab chasing, they don't rely on a clutch like Misty Step sucking up a spell slot just so they don't miss half their skills.

You try the Githyanki camp without cheesing barrels and without Lazael in your party and get back to me.

The bear's durability would be balanced by the fact the polar bear does 8-11 damage while Lazael does nearly double that with access to other bonus actions than a mere taunt.

Again you are missing my point and showing unnecessary hostility. The reason things are unbalanced is because Larian is blending 5e and DOS.

You seem to like DOS combat, why stop now? Go nuts with barrelmancy and multiple actions per turn. You will be able to cruise in this game.

Not missing the point. You just have no response besides restate Larian does cheese, as if playing Dice-A-Rama with wet noodle spells that hit for nothing assuming they actually land, consume a spell slot, and can't be weaved for combos (because of concentration, say good bye to the thought of entangle into moonbeam) doesn't make casters feel like hot trash.

And more to the point, what's the use of Shadowheart if she can't layer buffs and debuffs? With the +1 mace she is hitting for a pitiful 4-7 damage with usually a 78% chance to hit from backstab. Or maybe you're referring to her permanent 50% chance with Sacred Flame that usually does even less damage than her pitiful melee and fails saving throws 24/7. Can't use her divinity skill without removing bless, and the only reason to bring her is to be a bless bot. 60% chance to dome some good damage with Inflict Wounds at the cost of a spell slot, too bad it's melee and Lazael has 75-90% chance to hit foor the same damage with her regular melee that doesn't eat up limited resources.

There's a reason everyone and their mother abuses Lazael for the tougher fights, and why Shadowheart needed to be "buffed" and still ends up being among the least used companions, or replaces one of the mages to slap Bless again on Lazael.

The class with no finite resources and highest baseline survivability and movement should not be eclipsing classes that rely on finite resources to do damage.

I don't even know how you can laud DnD rules if you even bothered to do the Goblin camp fight against 10+ goblins.

Spend 80% of my time waiting around for enemy turns to just get to cast a single spell that may or may not hit if I don't abuse height teleport tricks. And for what? All that wait doesn't even pay off, the single ability you use per turn is the same as always, and does unremarkable damage. Meanwhile my mage in divinity was already weaving elemental combos to control the battlefield and do damage in one turn in exchange for being natively squishy. Here the mages are squishy anyways, barely have any meaningful aoe damage, can only CC or damage, but not both, and most of the time their CC spells fail to land anyways even from elevation while eating up a spell slot that you then can't use for damaging spells.

Last edited by Zenith; 08/03/21 03:03 PM.
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
S
addict
Offline
addict
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
Originally Posted by Zenith
Not missing the point. You just have no response besides restate Larian does cheese, as if playing Dice-A-Rama with wet noodle spells that hit for nothing assuming they actually land, consume a spell slot, and can't be weaved for combos (because of concentration, say good bye to the thought of entangle into moonbeam) doesn't make casters feel like hot trash.

And more to the point, what's the use of Shadowheart if she can't layer buffs and debuffs? With the +1 mace she is hitting for a pitiful 4-7 damage with usually a 78% chance to hit from backstab. Or maybe you're referring to her permanent 50% chance with Sacred Flame that usually does even less damage than her pitiful melee and fails saving throws 24/7. Can't use her divinity skill without removing bless, and the only reason to bring her is to be a bless bot. 60% chance to dome some good damage with Inflict Wounds at the cost of a spell slot, too bad it's melee and Lazael has 75-90% chance to hit foor the same damage with her regular melee that doesn't eat up limited resources.

You are so obsessed on how you want to play and what you want, you are not seeing what Larian wants. Larian WANTS you to cheese the fights. If they didn’t, why would they include the cheese mechanics? Which brings me back to my point. You should be frustrated at Larian homebrew and not request more homebrew that would break the game even more.

How about you dip Shadowheart’s weapon? Now you get an additional 1d4 on the hit and another for burning. Make sure you maneuver behind the monster so you get advantage. She now does damage on par with everyone else and she gets a bonus AC due to her shield that Lae’zel does not have.

Concentration spells and saving throw spells seem underpowered because there are Larian mechanics that make them weak.

Joined: Oct 2020
Z
Zenith Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Z
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Originally Posted by Zenith
Not missing the point. You just have no response besides restate Larian does cheese, as if playing Dice-A-Rama with wet noodle spells that hit for nothing assuming they actually land, consume a spell slot, and can't be weaved for combos (because of concentration, say good bye to the thought of entangle into moonbeam) doesn't make casters feel like hot trash.

And more to the point, what's the use of Shadowheart if she can't layer buffs and debuffs? With the +1 mace she is hitting for a pitiful 4-7 damage with usually a 78% chance to hit from backstab. Or maybe you're referring to her permanent 50% chance with Sacred Flame that usually does even less damage than her pitiful melee and fails saving throws 24/7. Can't use her divinity skill without removing bless, and the only reason to bring her is to be a bless bot. 60% chance to dome some good damage with Inflict Wounds at the cost of a spell slot, too bad it's melee and Lazael has 75-90% chance to hit foor the same damage with her regular melee that doesn't eat up limited resources.

You are so obsessed on how you want to play and what you want, you are not seeing what Larian wants. Larian WANTS you to cheese the fights. If they didn’t, why would they include the cheese mechanics? Which brings me back to my point. You should be frustrated at Larian homebrew and not request more homebrew that would break the game even more.

How about you dip Shadowheart’s weapon? Now you get an additional 1d4 on the hit and another for burning. Make sure you maneuver behind the monster so you get advantage. She now does damage on par with everyone else and she gets a bonus AC due to her shield that Lae’zel does not have.

Concentration spells and saving throw spells seem underpowered because there are Larian mechanics that make them weak.


It's like talking to a wall or some willfully obtuse zealot. Lazael can also dip her weapon, so this makes no difference whatsoever in a comparison between Shadowheart and Lazael because the gap stays the same.

I don't care what you think Larian wants, and indeed I am obsessed with how I want to play, because it is a FEEDBACK FORUM, and the point of this thread is to tell them their current combat design is far inferior to their Divinity iterations just because they want to cater to some DnD fanboys even if the combat experience comes out worse for it.

Larian homebrew worked just fine for me in DoS, this DnD crap doesn't because unlike in DoS where abilities felt powerful, reliable, and were only limited by action point cost, now in in BG3 I only have the option of terrain and elemental surface abuse unlike in DoS where the options were there, but the abilities and combat itself offered viable, non-frustrating alternatives.

I don't know how anyone can say waiting 6 enemy turns to miss the only 70-80% hit chance spell you get to use in a turn and out of 4 minor or 2 major spell slots is good design comparatively to DOS.

Last edited by Zenith; 08/03/21 03:13 PM.
Joined: Nov 2020
P
member
Offline
member
P
Joined: Nov 2020
Going to be honest, all your issues you've expressed irritation about are all unchanged from 5e, and they aren't likely to change unless Larian decide to give up the idea of making a DnD game entirely and go full divinity mode on the combat system, which they won't do, because they've already spent too much time and money getting it. You say you don't care about the 5e ruleset, but this is supposed to be a DnD 5e game. They certainly spent enough time advertising it as such.

Yes Fighters are powerful in the early levels. All martial classes do better out of the gate than spellcasters. Its a known issue with DnD, not just in 5e, but in multiple previous editions too. Funnily enough, compared to those older editions, 5e is the more balanced system.

But, it does seem like druids wildshapes aren't quite as hard hitting as they should be? their damage seems low, even for this level range, and at least one of them lacks the multiattack it should have, which halves its potential damage output.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Cleric of Innuendo
Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Can we lose the inflammatory language and tone in some the recent posts, please. State your opinions, defend your opinions, but accept that others may play the game in a different way and prefer different things.

Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
S
addict
Offline
addict
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
Originally Posted by Zenith
It's like talking to a wall or some willfully obtuse zealot. Lazael can also dip her weapon, so this makes no difference whatsoever in a comparison between Shadowheart and Lazael because the gap stays the same.

I don't care what you think Larian wants, and indeed I am obsessed with how I want to play, because it is a FEEDBACK FORUM, and the point of this thread is to tell them their current combat design is far inferior to their Divinity iterations just because they want to cater to some DnD fanboys even if the combat experience comes out worse for it.

Larian homebrew worked just fine for me in DoS, this DnD crap doesn't because unlike in DoS where abilities felt powerful, reliable, and were only limited by action point cost, now in in BG3 I only have the option of terrain and elemental surface abuse unlike in DoS where the options were there, but the abilities and combat itself offered viable, non-frustrating alternatives.

I don't know how anyone can say waiting 6 enemy turns to miss the only 70-80% hit chance spell you get to use in a turn and out of 4 minor or 2 major spell slots is good design comparatively to DOS.

Shadowheart gets +2 AC that Lae’zel doesn’t.

I once thought like you that this is a feedback forum. You’ll soon learn that Larian has certain ideas on combat for BG3 and will only deviate in small amounts. The good news for you is you like DOS so you may get a few more mechanics that you may like but much of what you are seeing is what you are getting.

Cater to D&D fanboys? BG3 is based on a D&D setting. I think Larian should at least try to throw them a bone.

I get it. You want DOS 3. You’re not getting it with BG3. You’re getting a horrible mix of 5e and DOS. I think we can both agree what is in place now is bad.

Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
S
addict
Offline
addict
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
Originally Posted by Piff
But, it does seem like druids wildshapes aren't quite as hard hitting as they should be? their damage seems low, even for this level range, and at least one of them lacks the multiattack it should have, which halves its potential damage output.

That’s debatable. Bears get multiattack but druids shouldn’t be able to turn into a bear right away.

But if Larian wants bears, then yes they should attack twice.

Joined: Oct 2020
addict
Online Content
addict
Joined: Oct 2020
Polar bears SHOULD have an AC of 12, although canonically they *DO* get 42 HP and two attacks, so the polar bear form is nerfed in BG3, while land druids can wildshape WAY more efficiently than they should.

But the wildshape is still awesome. It's a free buffer of HP, and you can damage AND take attention from enemies while your party moments get free shots, so it's still insanely good. I don't personally mind that the polar bear is nerfed a bit, since they DO at least get the "goading" ability that enables them to soak while the others are safe to do their thing. I don't like that moon druids are now weaker compared to land druids, who gets way better wildshaping than they should.

But then, I am not too happy about 80% of the homebrewing that Larian has done so far. I sincerely hope they will make things far more DND in the future.

Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
S
addict
Offline
addict
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Polar bears SHOULD have an AC of 12, although canonically they *DO* get 42 HP and two attacks, so the polar bear form is nerfed in BG3, while land druids can wildshape WAY more efficiently than they should.

But the wildshape is still awesome. It's a free buffer of HP, and you can damage AND take attention from enemies while your party moments get free shots, so it's still insanely good. I don't personally mind that the polar bear is nerfed a bit, since they DO at least get the "goading" ability that enables them to soak while the others are safe to do their thing. I don't like that moon druids are now weaker compared to land druids, who gets way better wildshaping than they should.

But then, I am not too happy about 80% of the homebrewing that Larian has done so far. I sincerely hope they will make things far more DND in the future.

I think Larian nerfed it because druids are not supposed to have polar bear form this early. Circle of the Land shouldn’t even be able to wild shape into polar bears.

Circle of the moon got robbed. Their main feature was the ability to wild shape into stronger beasts than CotL but in BG3, that benefit is gone.

Joined: Oct 2020
Z
Zenith Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Z
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Piff
Going to be honest, all your issues you've expressed irritation about are all unchanged from 5e, and they aren't likely to change unless Larian decide to give up the idea of making a DnD game entirely and go full divinity mode on the combat system, which they won't do, because they've already spent too much time and money getting it. You say you don't care about the 5e ruleset, but this is supposed to be a DnD 5e game. They certainly spent enough time advertising it as such.

Yes Fighters are powerful in the early levels. All martial classes do better out of the gate than spellcasters. Its a known issue with DnD, not just in 5e, but in multiple previous editions too. Funnily enough, compared to those older editions, 5e is the more balanced system.

But, it does seem like druids wildshapes aren't quite as hard hitting as they should be? their damage seems low, even for this level range, and at least one of them lacks the multiattack it should have, which halves its potential damage output.


They are only on the first act, without even most of the companions, cutscenes from the first act still a work in progress, and multiple bugs.

This is precisely the time to submit feedback about the combat in the game being worse with the DnD ruleset, so that at least if it isn't back to DoS, at least they fix the Dice-A-Rama casino play with single action per turn that makes the gameplay such a slog and make spells feel more impactful and delete the current concentration mechanic which completely hamstrings caster gameplay experience.

If we wait till later in the development in the game, they'll have invested far more into a bad system with less likelihood of meaningful overhauls.

Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Originally Posted by Zenith
It's like talking to a wall or some willfully obtuse zealot. Lazael can also dip her weapon, so this makes no difference whatsoever in a comparison between Shadowheart and Lazael because the gap stays the same.

I don't care what you think Larian wants, and indeed I am obsessed with how I want to play, because it is a FEEDBACK FORUM, and the point of this thread is to tell them their current combat design is far inferior to their Divinity iterations just because they want to cater to some DnD fanboys even if the combat experience comes out worse for it.

Larian homebrew worked just fine for me in DoS, this DnD crap doesn't because unlike in DoS where abilities felt powerful, reliable, and were only limited by action point cost, now in in BG3 I only have the option of terrain and elemental surface abuse unlike in DoS where the options were there, but the abilities and combat itself offered viable, non-frustrating alternatives.

I don't know how anyone can say waiting 6 enemy turns to miss the only 70-80% hit chance spell you get to use in a turn and out of 4 minor or 2 major spell slots is good design comparatively to DOS.

Shadowheart gets +2 AC that Lae’zel doesn’t.

I once thought like you that this is a feedback forum. You’ll soon learn that Larian has certain ideas on combat for BG3 and will only deviate in small amounts. The good news for you is you like DOS so you may get a few more mechanics that you may like but much of what you are seeing is what you are getting.

Cater to D&D fanboys? BG3 is based on a D&D setting. I think Larian should at least try to throw them a bone.

I get it. You want DOS 3. You’re not getting it with BG3. You’re getting a horrible mix of 5e and DOS. I think we can both agree what is in place now is bad.

And Lazael has 9 more Hp than Shadowheart with a built in self heal and triple the damage output with a ranged ability that does not have a 50% hit chance for pitiful 2-7 damage; I'll say at least we agree on the fact that what is currently in place combat-wise is woeful.

Last edited by Zenith; 08/03/21 04:41 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2020
Fact is, Larian has implemented the Druid's wildshaped forms in a way that makes them weaker than 5e rules. It's ridiculous that you blame your problems on BG3 being dnd when if they were actually closer to dnd you'd have less of a problem with them.

Comparison:

Polar Bear 5e abilities:

Quote
Hit Points 42 (5d10+15)
[...]
Multiattack. The bear makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d8 + 5) piercing damage.
Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (2d6 + 5) slashing damage.

Almost 50% more HP than Larians polar bear and two attacks.

Dire Wolf 5e abilities:
Quote
Hit Points 37 (5d10+10)
[...]
Pack Tactics. The wolf has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the wolf's allies is within 5 ft. of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (2d6 + 3) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone

100% higher HP than Larian. Automatic melee advantage (though, yeah, sure, Backstab already means they have that anyway) with allies and an automatic if weak chance to put enemies on the ground.

Instead of this they get a 1d4 attack that makes a later attack be a critical hit. Not weak, but at the cost of another a 2d6 attack?

Quote
Hit Points 26 (4d10+4)

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: (1d8 + 3) piercing damage plus (2d8)poison damage. The target must make a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking the poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If the poison damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, the target is stable but poisoned for 1 hour, even after regaining hit points, and is paralyzed while poisoned in this way.

Only 6 HP difference, but still more than Larian's. 3d8 damage instead of 1d8, and two of them in a non-physical damage type.

In exchange for that Larian's spider gets the ability to use Web every turn and as an area attack which can also be set on fire, and the ability to make the enemy Poisoned (disadvantage on attacks) on a failed check and no effect on a success but it's DC 13 instead of 11.


Optimistically Apocalyptic
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Feb 2020
Location: Belgium
I don't know exactly how it is in D&D but seriously the bear is just awesome.

Fighting the minotaurs ? You can avoid 2 turns of damages for 2 bonus actions.
Fighting goblins ? You have AoO that can OS any of them and an impressive pool of HP.

In many situations this form just save me.

I agree that wildshape is not very interresting to deal damages past level 3... Maybe it should be...
But its AoO is good and it's HP pool is very usefull.

But yeah past level 5 we should maybe have multi attack.

Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
S
addict
Offline
addict
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I don't know exactly how it is in D&D but seriously the bear is just awesome.

Fighting the minotaurs ? You can avoid 2 turns of damages for 2 bonus actions.
Fighting goblins ? You have AoO that can OS any of them and an impressive pool of HP.

In many situations this form just save me.

I agree that wildshape is not very interresting to deal damages past level 3... Maybe it should be...
But its AoO is good and it's HP pool is very usefull.

But yeah past level 5 we should maybe have multi attack.

Larian took a lot of liberties with the bear. Land druids can’t even get polar bear form because polar bears are CR2. They can get brown bear at level 8. Black bear at level 4. All bears get multi attack though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5