Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So, at various times, why does my Main look like an idiot in dialogue?

Example: Shadowheart in pod, can't get her out. My Main is looking all dopey with neck stuck out and smiling weirdly. Happens each playthrough no matter the character.

Also, I'd like maybe for the main character to not smile so much if I'm playing an evil character or one that is more mean. Not sure how you'd do it, but having my Main smiling like she does all the time when I'm playing a Llothsworn murdering fighter doesn't really fit. She should appear more cold and unfeeling.

addict
addict
So we can make killer memes thats why.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 11/03/21 10:01 AM.
old hand
old hand
Why so serious?

Optimistically Apocalyptic
old hand
old hand
I do agree that many times the player character's reaction feels odd or wrong. I would prefer if the camera angle doesn't change to show the player character too often, as it kind of breaks immersion when you might want them to have a specific personality that is not reflected in the animations.

veteran
veteran
Maybe it would be best to now show our character in dialogues at all. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
And many times the camera is blocked by other characters so you can't even see who's talking.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Character expressions is often really immersion breaking. Hope they fix this

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Maybe it would be best to nowt show our character in dialogues at all. :-/

yeah, it would be.

Last edited by fallenj; 11/03/21 02:45 PM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I like seeing the Main, but the expressions need fixing.

Banned
Banned
I think, if they really want to sprinkle expressions here and there, they could tie them to dialogue choices. Something like, if you're chill about Raphael's teleportating thing then you're also chill about the reveal rather than looking absolutely flabbergasted.

For the whole smirky thing going when talking to companions i'd just go with a set personality, and maybe it could be something we can swap at will too since it'd just amount to a stance.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Agreed on the dialogue choices to determine expression thing, plus it should depend on your creation choices. Evil cleric character shouldn't look all mousy and scared at certain times, etc.

JoB Offline
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Agreed on the dialogue choices to determine expression thing, plus it should depend on your creation choices. Evil cleric character shouldn't look all mousy and scared at certain times, etc.

Evil people get scared too.

I just think some players never want their characters to show weakness. Forever cool.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Very good point here.

We are all familiar with that guy who has to play the same character every game and always makes sure their character has zero sense of humor or natural emotions.

That shit is exhausting.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Nah. I don't mind evil characters looking scared so much.

No. This is more about my evil drow fighter smiling all warm and friendly like with a sometimes dopey grin on her face or looking scared and freaked out over things that she probably wouldn't be showing her fear towards. I mean, a dragon is understandable. You might look like a scared little school girl or boy when a dragon is sticking his face into a room you're in. Anybody might be freaked out and scared by a dragon about to breathe fire on them. Dragon fear!

Drow, however, are supposed to be a violent, hard people who witness all sorts of horrors from an early age in the Underdark. A Llothsworn Drow should be used to seeing things others aren't used to. I imagine she might be disgusted and grimace when seeing someone turn into a mind flayer, for example, but the utterly horrified facial expressions are a bit over the top for a Llothsworn Drow who's probably seen things just as terrible growing up. She also looks like a neck-craning idiot when she's looking at Shadowheart's pod; something that was not always the case but seems to be a Patch 4 thing. When the Guardian of Tombs comes out of his sarcophagus, she looks like a scared little school girl. I imagine she might be a bit alarmed and maybe on edge at the sight of an obviously powerful skeletal figure, but looking all weak and ready to bolt for the door is a bit much. Those are the kinds of things I'm talking about. As a Drow especially, I'd think she'd have seen so many horrible things by this point that a skeleton coming out of a coffin wouldn't rattle her cage that much. Evil clerics should be the same way.

So I'm just saying, it should probably be based on some of your choices as a player. If I pick a Llothsworn Drow or an evil cleric, or something like that, they shouldn't be all smiling and happy and friendly all over the place. There should be more stoicism and even contempt and disgust. And for that matter, my Githyanki is nothing like Lae'zel. He acts like he was born and raised by loving human parents in a small farmland community, and he's all nice and happy and friendly. He just doesn't feel much like a member of the Githyanki race, especially since Lae'zel treats him no differently than any other character I've created.

Anyway, the point is at least make it so that the expressions of all characters are a bit less geared towards the smiling, frankly dopey-grinning, types. I'd rather have all main characters be a bit more stoic than have them all cringey in different cutscenes. Right now, some of the scenes make me cringe because of how out of place my character looks. Lae'zel is snapping at my character and I'm smiling at her with a dopey, comical grin?...and I'm a Llothsworn Drow or a Githyanki Ranger? Nah nah. I should be glaring at her with contempt and ready to cut her head off for treating me like I'm her lackey; giving me an attitude like that.

D
D
Agreed that character facial expressions look ridiculous most of the time. In some cases they are exaggerated, in others - completely wrong.
A good idea would be to add personality traits to character creation. (Ideally in a form of analog slider between opposite types, that will change its value depending on your chooses.)
It would even help with dialogues. Not all halflings are friendly, and not all drow are cruel.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Dastan McKay
Agreed that character facial expressions look ridiculous most of the time. In some cases they are exaggerated, in others - completely wrong.
A good idea would be to add personality traits to character creation. (Ideally in a form of analog slider between opposite types, that will change its value depending on your chooses.)
It would even help with dialogues. Not all halflings are friendly, and not all drow are cruel.

Agreed

Link Copied to Clipboard