stranger
B
Hi,

what do if this happens?

https://ibb.co/yVKtSHb
I am not able to do the neccesary jump.
Thanks
Greetings

Last edited by Broda; 11/03/21 02:19 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Either it's a UI glitch or they fudged that jump, but if you mouse over the other side it will show as valid. Either because they forced it to, or possibly because the height difference allows you to jump further but the circle doesn't indicate that.

It's not always easy to visually judge whether a jump should work or not.

One thing to keep in mind when you want the whole party to move somewhere, is that you can select whichever companion has the highest Strength stat, then make them the temporary party leader. They'll have the longest jump range so you can find a place that allows for a jump. Even if the rest of the party couldn't make that jump alone, the game will still let them make the jump to follow the party leader. Feels a bit like cheating, but I use it all the time.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
It's not always easy to visually judge whether a jump should work or not.

One thing to keep in mind when you want the whole party to move somewhere, is that you can select whichever companion has the highest Strength stat, then make them the temporary party leader. They'll have the longest jump range so you can find a place that allows for a jump. Even if the rest of the party couldn't make that jump alone, the game will still let them make the jump to follow the party leader. Feels a bit like cheating, but I use it all the time.
Eh I'm not a fan of this. If all you need is 1 character for your whole party to make a jump, then why bother even having jumps that low-strength characters can't make?
And if all jumps can then be made by all characters, then why even have places that require jumps at all?

Either some gaps should not be jumpable by some characters, requiring the use of spells, finding another path, or splitting the party.
Or they should just remove jumping from the game and save us some clicks.

Although I guess your method can't be done while in multiplayer...

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Eh I'm not a fan of this. If all you need is 1 character for your whole party to make a jump, then why bother even having jumps that low-strength characters can't make?

Well, individual characters are still strength limited for jumps during combat. The game is just changing the rules for how the party can travel outside of combat. If I wanted to hand-wave it, I could say that the strongest party member is making that first jump to find the best landing spot or technique, and then coaches the weaker party members on how they can follow.

It doesn't break anything in the game, unless you're going for hardcore simulation or rule-following. I can understand that, it just doesn't bother me that much personally, it feels like a wee little cheat to keep the party moving.

veteran
veteran
Well, individual characters are still strength limited for jumps during combat.
True, but it's very rare that you need to jump over a gap during combat, right?
And as for jumping to gain movement or jumping over enemies...I'm not the biggest fan of either of those and would be perfectly happy if those abilities were removed.

The game is just changing the rules for how the party can travel outside of combat. If I wanted to hand-wave it, I could say that the strongest party member is making that first jump to find the best landing spot or technique, and then coaches the weaker party members on how they can follow.

It doesn't break anything in the game, unless you're going for hardcore simulation or rule-following. I can understand that, it just doesn't bother me that much personally, it feels like a wee little cheat to keep the party moving.
I understand that it's a convenience thing, and my problem with it pretty small tbh. But imo, the only good (or at least, not bad) thing about jumping in BG3 was that it resulted in those decisions: Do I spend a spell slot/scroll on Jump or Misty Step? Do I split the party? Do I find another way?
In those times, I was making a decision and interacting with the world, whereas I do not find the combat leap-frogging interesting.

apprentice
apprentice
Go advice!

I did exactly that, after I went to get to that chest in the Druid Grove over by the waterfall, and Astraian for whatever reason did not follow my leader. When I fought the harpies Astraian was nowhere to be found. He was stuck by the chest. He only has 8 strength. I had to go back to the chest and jump back across, and he finally followed.

Last edited by Grimalken; 13/03/21 08:42 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard