Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#764248 11/03/21 08:14 PM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
I haven't played the early access yet, so I'm only going based on the gameplay video that's been released and both the Divinity games that Larian has made, which I played extensively.

PLEASE add quivers for the bows in the game. It was one of my largest annoyances in the Divinity games and I feel that it just kills the immersion for me. Not sure if it bothers anyone else, but I shoot bows IRL and it just seems wrong to not have a quiver of arrows, like a gun without a clip. I really wanted to play an archer in Divinity but never could get past the lack of arrows for archers.

Thanks!

GrinningRaven #764254 11/03/21 09:21 PM
JoB Offline
Banned
Banned
I'm torn. It bothers me. I think I'd like it better if I had to get arrows.

But a part of me does appreciate the convenience of not having to worry about it. Overall though, endless ammunition would probably be better as a magic item trait.

And you know, now that I'm thinking about it, I hate the price of single shot arrows in this game. An acid arrow, a fire arrow... way too much money for something that's used once. What's that about?

JoB #764259 11/03/21 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by JoB
IAnd you know, now that I'm thinking about it, I hate the price of single shot arrows in this game. An acid arrow, a fire arrow... way too much money for something that's used once. What's that about?

This is just a guess, but we know there will be some kind of crafting mechanic in the game (there is that one crafting interface in a cellar), and it might include magic arrows. It could be that the current high price when buying magic arrows from merchants is just to limit the supply, as a substitute for rare ingredients when crafting arrives.

GrinningRaven #764263 11/03/21 09:45 PM
veteran
veteran
Even with unlimited ammo, you should still have a "quiver" in the UI that would sort all your different special arrows for easy access.

I would like a finite number of arrows though, even if they would reset between encounters or some QoL thing like that. Say 20 arrows per fight. Or 40 if you want to carry the extra weight of two quivers. But unlimited arrows seems too arcade. It's cool that archers can run out of ammo which forces them to have some melee skills or throwing daggers or something as a backup plan.

Frumpkis #764267 11/03/21 09:53 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Frumpkis
This is just a guess, but we know there will be some kind of crafting mechanic in the game (there is that one crafting interface in a cellar), and it might include magic arrows. It could be that the current high price when buying magic arrows from merchants is just to limit the supply, as a substitute for rare ingredients when crafting arrives.

This is probably exactly it.

You could make magical arrows in D:OS2 out of rather mundane things. Like having a regular arrowhead and a reusable source of water nearby like a water barrel sitting in another party member's inventory to make a water arrow, and similar things for poison and slowing arrows. You could even make charm arrows out of pots of honey (and basically initiate an infinite gold loop by crafting a bunch of those near a beehive to replenish your jars of honey, so long as you could find arrowheads to do it with).

GrinningRaven #764307 12/03/21 03:54 AM
old hand
old hand
It might be good to just add them as the source of arrows and then a "special" quiver as a container to hold the unique arrows?

GrinningRaven #764335 12/03/21 08:31 AM
old hand
old hand
@OP are you asking for quivers as in numbered ammunition or as in visual equipment on the character models?

Optimistically Apocalyptic
GrinningRaven #764338 12/03/21 08:56 AM
journeyman
journeyman
It only makes sense. Not everything in the BG universe is magical. Especially for characters who don't use magic at all - how do unlimited arrows make any sense? Limitations are important and valued.

Last edited by Roethen; 12/03/21 08:57 AM.
GrinningRaven #764351 12/03/21 11:23 AM
veteran
veteran
Limited ammo makes no sense in a game with unlimited inventory.

Quivers as in special bags for special arrows: yes please.
Same for scroll cases and gem bags and so on.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
GrinningRaven #764369 12/03/21 03:19 PM
veteran
veteran
Well, there is second slot for ranged weapon, simmilar to two slots for meele ... it had to have some reason. O_o
Maybe it will be simmilar to Diablo, where we can use quivers for stats even if we still have unlimited ammo. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
GrinningRaven #764373 12/03/21 03:32 PM
veteran
veteran
I'd love to have to manage normal ammo but this is a very unpopular opinion.
I'd love finding a magical quiver that have unlimited normal ammo !

But this won't change so I don't expect this anymore.

I still expect quivers as other specific bags both to manage our inventory easily and to have more item management (quiver with different size/ more or less slots -quickslots you can use in combats, magical quiver/bow that gives unlimited specific ammo,...)

About ammo and quiver I also hope they'll add +1 or +2 arrows. Elemental things everywhere is really boring.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 12/03/21 03:33 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
GrinningRaven #764381 12/03/21 03:48 PM
veteran
veteran
I could take or leave managing normal ammo. In Sol- another unnamed D&D game, there is ammo tracking but it kind of has no effect on the game? Given regular ammunition's ~negligible weight and cost, I never run out of arrows and it's only the slightest hassle to equip them. But it also doesn't really add anything to the experience except for a teeny bit of realism.

A dedicated special arrow quiver would be wonderful. Better inventory (and hotbar) management pleeeaaassseeee.
At the very least, let us name/somehow customize backpacks so we can visually tell our scroll vs arrows vs potions backpacks apart.

Roethen #764427 12/03/21 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Roethen
It only makes sense. Not everything in the BG universe is magical. Especially for characters who don't use magic at all - how do unlimited arrows make any sense? Limitations are important and valued.

Limitations are valuable yes, but so is reducing unnecessary micromanagement in a game. I'd rather have it this way myself, instead of having to stop what I'm doing and make a side trip to a merchant or a crafting station to make normal arrows after running out. Magic arrows should require that, of course.

As for unlimited normal arrows, I don't think it's too hard to imagine that characters in the game are gathering materials along the way, and making arrows while they're at camp. We just don't see it explicitly. The game thankfully avoids other real-world activities that would just be additional micro, and can be assumed to be a camp activity like repairing damaged armor and weapons.

Maximuuus #764434 12/03/21 09:06 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I'd love to have to manage normal ammo but this is a very unpopular opinion.
I'd love finding a magical quiver that have unlimited normal ammo!
Me too ... but, i wonder how to ballance them so they are actualy meaningfull ...
If every wendor will have at least 50 arrow to sell, even if they would cost 5 gold per arrow ... it seem kinda almost the same like if you have unlimited by default. :-/

So the only way would be to make them either quite rare, wich could criple ranged classes quite a lot. :-/ Or make them ridiculously overpriced, like elemental arrows, wich seem silly. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 12/03/21 09:07 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
GrinningRaven #764505 13/03/21 03:48 AM
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
If nothing else there ought to visually be a quiver on our back when a bow is equipped. Have us be grabbing those infinite arrows from somewhere, not just manifesting them.
It would certainly be nice to have a quiver image on the hotbar, the opens a popup with our special arrows, similar to we choose what level to cast a spell at. Not that I ever use special arrows. Consumables *gag*
How are they going to add magic quivers if they don't even have quivers? Granted the only one I know of in DnD is basically just a bag of holding for narrow things, which translates to "weightless arrows", but magic quivers for the game could have stats or effects like gloves/boots/helms do I suppose.
A bow should only take up one of the two weapon slots, but lock the 2nd to quiver only.
Regular arrows I'm happy to keep as infinite. Most every bow user I've played DnD with never tracked their arrow count anyway.

GrinningRaven #767508 29/03/21 05:57 PM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Ok, wow so I see I am not alone in this. smile I mostly meant to show a quiver just for visual preference at least. If they could work an ammunition system in, that would be great but could be tedious. I liked the way Owlcat Games showed quivers on the characters in the Pathfinder Kingmaker game. There was no ammo count, but you could find magical quivers that added some kind of bonus to your arrows, like cold iron against fae, or elemental damage. I feel that small visual items like backpacks, belt items, quivers, sheaths just help to sell the immersion of being an adventurer out trekking through the magical world and not just a person that only has one set of clothes, apparently doesn't eat food and came equipped with a bag of holding from the start.

GrinningRaven #767521 29/03/21 06:54 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by GrinningRaven
I haven't played the early access yet, so I'm only going based on the gameplay video that's been released and both the Divinity games that Larian has made, which I played extensively.

PLEASE add quivers for the bows in the game. It was one of my largest annoyances in the Divinity games and I feel that it just kills the immersion for me. Not sure if it bothers anyone else, but I shoot bows IRL and it just seems wrong to not have a quiver of arrows, like a gun without a clip. I really wanted to play an archer in Divinity but never could get past the lack of arrows for archers.

Thanks!

If we're being pedantic, it's a magazine not a clip.

GrinningRaven #767619 30/03/21 07:28 AM
old hand
old hand
Ok, wow so I see I am not alone in this. smile I mostly meant to show a quiver just for visual preference at least. If they could work an ammunition system in, that would be great but could be tedious. I liked the way Owlcat Games showed quivers on the characters in the Pathfinder Kingmaker game. There was no ammo count, but you could find magical quivers that added some kind of bonus to your arrows, like cold iron against fae, or elemental damage. I feel that small visual items like backpacks, belt items, quivers, sheaths just help to sell the immersion of being an adventurer out trekking through the magical world and not just a person that only has one set of clothes, apparently doesn't eat food and came equipped with a bag of holding from the start.

See I wanted to ask because I got the feeling the thread went off topic from the start. I too would like to have visual quivers on characters, it just doesn't look right without them when you're an archer, but I'm not particularly interested in having an ammo count for basic arrows/bolts/bullets.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
GrinningRaven #767621 30/03/21 07:48 AM
veteran
veteran
If you have a bow equiped yes, we should definitely have a quiver on our characters models.

What would also be cool is two "quiver slots" in the equipment screen in which you can equip special arrows.

We could have somewhere toggles for every arrow type equiped.
- Normal ON/OFF (Auto ON)
- quiver slot 1 ON/OFF
- quiver slot 2 ON/OFF

If you toggle ON quiver slot 1, your ranged attacks are made with arrows equiped on this slot.
Same if you enable quiver slot 2 or normal arrows toggle. Normal arrows Auto ON if you have nothing in your quiver slots.

Ofc this could only be usefull if they gave us many more special arrows and this could only be possible if surfaces arrows wasn't the only special ammunitions available.

Why don't they gave us +1 (+2/+3 for higher levels) arrows ? Having 20 fire arrows would be a problem because of surfaces but it wouldn't be at all with +1 arrows.

Looks like missing is a problem in this game... Allow us to find items that increase our %to hit... Let us find or buy those arrows. People don't know what to do with their money... Just add the possibility to buy (or find) special arrows that are not surfaces arrows.

Even arrows than only deal small poison/fire damages wouldn't be a problem if there's not surfaces all the time. It would make way more sense than coating our bow with fire/poison...

More immersive, more choices, more control of our %to hit, more things to do with our money, more possibilities to play in combats, more D&D items,......

Last edited by Maximuuus; 30/03/21 08:03 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
GrinningRaven #767629 30/03/21 09:29 AM
Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Even with unlimited ammo, you should still have a "quiver" in the UI that would sort all your different special arrows for easy access.

I would like a finite number of arrows though, even if they would reset between encounters or some QoL thing like that. Say 20 arrows per fight. Or 40 if you want to carry the extra weight of two quivers. But unlimited arrows seems too arcade. It's cool that archers can run out of ammo which forces them to have some melee skills or throwing daggers or something as a backup plan.

+1 for the quiver for special arrow sorting. As of finite arrows, I am pretty sure that it would require a re-scaling of the Ranger's arrow attacks since it, according to a lot of players, is mediocre at best atm. Further limiting them by cutting down their ammunition would only make them even more sub-par versus casters and melee characters. I do not personally mind, but I prefer not to micromanage regular arrows on top of the (most definitely) coming magical / special arrows.

Originally Posted by CJMPinger
It might be good to just add them as the source of arrows and then a "special" quiver as a container to hold the unique arrows?

YES.

+1 for visuals too. I also enjoyed Kingmaker's solution for special arrows. But I did also enjoy DOS2's special arrows and the way that they were rare as **** early-mid game, and later on you could craft a fair amount of them, certainly enough to use a special arrow for each encounter.

Imo, the way that special arrows worked made me feel a little bit like an arcane archer in PoE2 (which I adored so badly that I'd wish to have it implemented in every single game I play). It just felt like an extremely nice touch, and I am excited to see what Larian has in store for rangers when we hit full release!

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard