Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
I always pick my race based on the stat bonus, and if I could select my stat bonus I'd almost always be a Wood Elf. Tiefling's could use love because Wood Half Elves are so much better as a CHA race, Humans could definitely do with Variant humans being added. So yeah the balance isn't super great. On the other hand racial imbalances kind of pale next to the elephants in the room. Jump, backstab, high ground, shove, barrelmancy. While those exist the tactical layer is so broken as to make other balance concerns irrelevant.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Rack
I always pick my race based on the stat bonus, and if I could select my stat bonus I'd almost always be a Wood Elf. Tiefling's could use love because Wood Half Elves are so much better as a CHA race, Humans could definitely do with Variant humans being added. So yeah the balance isn't super great. On the other hand racial imbalances kind of pale next to the elephants in the room. Jump, backstab, high ground, shove, barrelmancy. While those exist the tactical layer is so broken as to make other balance concerns irrelevant.

Lets just let it be 5e and mod it from there ya?

veteran
veteran
This game has some problems, but balances between races is definitively not the biggest problem.

- If you accept save scumming as a reason why one thing is better than the other, then nothing matters at all because there is almost always a small chance of success.
Who cares about class, race, skills, spells or equipment when you reload every time you do not like the result.

- DnD and similar games are never really balanced and that is not a big problem. Most stuff in the game is so easy that almost any char can make it and there are many ways to solve most situations. Play whatever char you like and play them however you like. Having a +1 bonus or not will not make an easy game incredibly hard.

- From my point of view, the problem is not classes or races, but Larians changes to the rules. Stuff like jumping for backstab advantage or missing fire arrows cause a fire surface and damage.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Madscientist
- If you accept save scumming as a reason why one thing is better than the other, then nothing matters at all because there is almost always a small chance of success.
Who cares about class, race, skills, spells or equipment when you reload every time you do not like the result.
If you do accept save scumming as a reason, then it still matters. A +1 or +2 bonus means you'll have to save scum 5 or 10% less often.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Originally Posted by Scribe

If by mod you mean tweak then yeah I think that makes sense. If you mean mod as in to leave balancing to modders I can't really back you up. BG3 has no GM and is relentlessly played on a battle map. Some abilities in D&D don't translate well to BG3 while others translate extremely well. Also 5E from the players guide is a bit "first draft" but using all the supplemental content is impractical so some choice adjustments make sense. Tieflings received substantial buffs from Mordenkainen and Sword Coast Adventurers after all.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
There is definitely a hierarchy when it comes to race power-levels (variant human has sat at S tier for most of 5e Table Top's existence. Whereas in BG3, the highest tier race is probably the Half-Elf). But I don't think the balance has ever been so off that certain races are obsolete.

Originally Posted by Zenith
Poison resistance is actually pretty useful, because at least in the first act many enemies use poison, and poison carries the additional debuff of debuffing your attack rolls.

Fire resistance is mostly useless because other than halving the damage it does nothing else, and few creatures use fire attacks in Act 1. Even then, halved fire damage but no saving roll bonus against burning is pretty dumb.

I think you're underselling Fire Resistance a bit. Fire resistance tends to scale far better than Poison resistance into the late game.

1. Throughout a full campaign, fire damage is generally more common and deadly than poison damage.

Consider this - of all the spells available in the PHB and DMG, there are 22 spells that does fire damage, while only 6 of them do poison damage.

Also note the relatively lower deadliness of the poison spells. Only 3 of 6 of the poison spells are higher than level 1. 2 of the 6 entries for Poison damage are the Prismatic spells (meaning damage type is somewhat randomized / partial). The lvl 5 Cloudkill's is probably the most "deadly" common poison damage spell you'd face, and it's usually far more effective against a dumb AI than a human player that knows to move. Even then, it's only a whopping 5d8 (22.5 average) per round (a level 3 fireball is 6d8 @ 28 avg damage).

In terms of # of monster damage source, the general number is roughly the same 46 for fire vs. 43 for poison. In my experience, those sources of fire damage is usually deadlier (i.e high level fiends), but let's call it a draw in this regard because I only have anecdotal evidence.

2. It's simply easier to get/maintain the Dwarf's Poison resistance vs. a Tiefling's Fire Resistance.

Think of it this way. Mimicking a Dwarve's poison resistance (save + resistance) costs you a level 2 spell slot via Protection Against Poison. It's a non-concentration spell that lasts 1 hour in 5E RAW but until rest in BG3.

Gaining fire resistance like a Tiefling's requires a 3rd level spell called Protection from Energy. It's also 1 hour in RAW 5E, Duration TBD in BG3 - however, it requires concentration to maintain.

In general, it's simply harder to gain and maintain the fire resistance a Tiefling gets. The 4th level Fireshield spell can give you non-concentration fire resistance, but that only lasts 10 minutes (TBD in BG3).

In regards to overall Racial Balance:

The bog standard +1 int / +2 Cha Tiefling is definitely a weaker variant, because their stats do not line up with a single class's needs. However, the Zariel Tiefling (+1 STR / +2 CHA) is a pretty solid choice for Paladins.

Standard Human are definitely one of the weaker races too. Their spread out +1s mainly make them decent choices for multi-attribute dependent classes like Monks or Paladins, or some kind of stat demanding demanding multi-class.

S
addict
addict
S

If by mod you mean tweak then yeah I think that makes sense. If you mean mod as in to leave balancing to modders I can't really back you up. BG3 has no GM and is relentlessly played on a battle map. Some abilities in D&D don't translate well to BG3 while others translate extremely well. Also 5E from the players guide is a bit "first draft" but using all the supplemental content is impractical so some choice adjustments make sense. Tieflings received substantial buffs from Mordenkainen and Sword Coast Adventurers after all.

After what I've seen so far from the devs? No, I mean 'mod'. As in, let us decide.

If you compare stats in early access races will feel unbalanced to an extent cause your capped at level 4. Weighting out later play it checks in line more so.

Fire resistance is very strong through later play when you factor spells like fireball ect. Early access thats less of a factor also more tiefling subraces will eventually provide more options and the class choices are more valued in EA. Hopefully we will see racial feats and more half feats as well which will counter balance this.

Shield Dwarves and Githyanki are over powered in early access where there racial benefits make the non melee classes feel much more powerful. Later play that tones down so its less of a factor. Though having stat rolls would also make this feel less important later. Loosing movement is a big set back for dwarves and other small races.

Humans are less wow overall unless you can roll stats that +6 stats overall is kinda meh I do think they should add varient human but its less powerful without the feat choices however it is the only way youll see people play humans more frequently than other races.

Wood Elf has always been a strong choice because 1 extra thing of movement is powerful. That is there biggest + however a +2 dex and +1 wis does give you alot of options class wise currently as not all the races are implimented but in comparison half elf does give alot of options as well. Tieflings are the least appealing personally to me just because I dont really enjoy the race but overall there racials are not bad depending on concept fire damage is the most common damage element overall. Even in bg 3 you see alot of sources of fire damage.

In comparison with other race options with the other races its really matter of class in alot of cases if your not playing and INT based character unless you really want that cantrip or INT based skill checks most likely the Wood Elf will outweigh the High Elf. Same for unless your using a WIS based character shield dwarf in alot of cases will out weight your other option.

Gith and shield dwarves will carry to alot of classes because of armor benefits in early access for power building even with the stat loss. Id even make a shield dwarf mage with as low of an int score as possible because you can off set it with the head band. Halflings you do have the luck trait which is very powerful as an ability there is a reason it is a feat in 5E DND because its powerful.

The biggest push back currently is that wizards being able to cast any spell and being able to change weapons in combat without requiring an action or bonus action takes away from balance I am still hoping to see this fixed as if you let a wizard cast every druid and cleric spell it kinda of takes away from those 2 classes having a purpose. Because if you can just equip an off hand after your attacks in combat consistantly then basically you take away any benefits for someone who wants to Duel wield you just use a 2 hander or bow and change freely at will for the extra attack when you can do it and same goes for a wizard you just cast your spells equip 2 weapons make an attack or cast a damage spell then cast healing word as you need it taking away from those healing classes having alot of bonus action spells that help balance there loss of some of the powerful wizard damage spells. As you do get to higher tiers losing + int or + wis ect for armor becomes less great as your burning feats and stat buffs get that extra stat score racial bonuses are less of a factor at higher levels depending on feats available.

Side note having rolled stats would also play a much larger Impact on classes like monk and barbarian on the melee classes because a barbarian with high str dex con is going to be a powerhouse without armor same with a monk who has high dex wis and con is going to be stronger overall for there unarmored bonus. In case of a fighter having that charisma score to be a factor in conversations while still having a decient range of abilitys for combat becomes important. Adding rolled stats would benefit alot more than changing racials racials are just a minute factor as power increases to higher levels correcting the other things would counter balance this as once you hit 6-8 alot of those racial bonuses start to fade off with the right feat choices. Shadow Touched and Fey Touched Feats can off set alot of ability score losses for casters and feats like slasher, piercer, Medium armor expert ect can off set ability score issues for alot of the melee classes these are things that would make big difference overall in game play and choice for races without min maxing every last thing it would also make adding varient human alot more appealing in early access.

Side note i think that level capping full game release at level 12 - 16 as well would also be a better balance when multi-classing is present currently as the game right now would see more variety with this currently level 20 does hedge out some builds and encourages less multiclassing without alot of thought put into multi-classing though there are some strong builds. Paladin/Hexblade for example or Fighter/Barbarian mixes for critical bonus. Everyone right now is heavy favoring races because low level and other things that need to be corrected to make the game more like 5E DND the largest issues being spell restrictions and weapon swapping which are a much larger issue and should be corrected before the game goes full release or it will cause a much larger imbalance.

veteran
veteran
You can get resistence against X from potions and you find a lot of those in the game and they last until you rest.

Things are different because of Larians obsession with surfaces.
- If you miss with a fire arrow there will be a fire surface and the target takes damage and burns.
- If you attack a spider it will bleed poison and your melee char suddenly stands in a poison pool.
- I would bet that fire elementals will bleed lava.

I really hate this nonsense.
Jumping close to enemies should provoke AoO and not give advantage.
The game has several abilities that cause ground effects (grease, web, spike groth, . . .) so there is no need to add it to almost everything.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
C
C
Originally Posted by grysqrl
- We can go about how it should have been implemented according to your ideals of a table top game, but the fact is I'm more interested with how it's actually implemented in a videogame that actually takes resources to build and create cohesion with instead of just imagining things and writing them down to pen and paper.
It's a video game that's ostensibly based on a tabletop game that was designed with substantially more rigor and eye towards balance. This isn't about my ideals, it's about WotC having already done the work and Larian making a hash of it.

No, you're wrong here in your last statement. The very fact that you are arguing with Zenith who is saying they should prioritise this as a videogame first and foremost, should alert you to the fact that it's not just about slavishly recreating a game that reflects 5e's rules but also appealing to a market who quite frankly aren't that bothered by how accurately they are followed, as long as the game plays well.

What he's saying is undoubtable true too. If you want to optimise your character, certain race/class combinations are clearly better than others. The only real answer to this is you don't have to optimise your character. Tasha's changed this but who knows if they'll add this. He points out the elf and dwarf but in fact for the vast majority of classes that will be introduced the half elf is the obvious go to race for getting the best character.

People seem to think 5e is this perfectly balanced system while forgetting that it is the dm's application of this system that actually balances it. A dm who applies the encounters he uses for a party of intelligent, rules savvy powergamers to a bunch of unoptimized clueless rp'ers will soon find balance issues. Laraian is the dm as well as the developer. And has to make a game that appeals to a massive swathe of people. A lot of whom will want to spend a minimal amount of time learning the intricacies of 5e. And also keep their Larianisms, because believe it or not, they do have actual fans of these. A certain amount of people will expect the cheese in the game and be disappointed if it's not there.

There was even talk about adding a lone wolf mode ffs! smile

Keeping everybody happy is a lose/lose situation. It can't work, compromises have to be made to appeal to the biggest market possible. I have two big gamer friends one of whom says he'll play BG3 on release. I asked both of them if they would play an rpg where it's baked into the system that even the most optimised character will miss 33% of the time on average. Both said Hell No.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
You can get resistence against X from potions and you find a lot of those in the game and they last until you rest.

Based on this post, there appears to be 8 in the game. In my current Patch 4 "100%" save I have 6. I likely missed a couple, or there may be a degree to RNG when it comes to loot. Regardless, it's a decent amount if you're only using it for 1 character, but 8 potions will only last the party for 2 rests.

Note, you also cannot stack the resistance potions (but it does work with the spell). So in the EA right now, you can cast the level 2 Protection from Poison spell and drink any other Elemental potion to have 2 resistances.

Z
Zenith Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Z
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
Even in a dedicated warlock build, the famed master of solo's and uber-optimized gameplay, sin tee, doesn't even use a Tiefling. Surprise, it's yet another elf. Who knew, with the incredibly trove of advantages sunk into one race, that +2 stats to a relevant attribute would be hardly worth the trade. It's also why come lv4 most people are not even taking the extra 2 bonus attributes, but instead picking up wizard/warlock initiate or grabbing medium armor proficiency.
Part of the issue is the proliferation of spell scrolls and consumables + Larian's Homebrew. If shove only made the minotaur go prone, that fight would have been quite different.

Dex was already a potent stat in 5e and with Larian's homebrew it's even more valuable in Baldur's Gate 3.

Yup, I've suggested shoving only make a target prone.

Wouldn't change much, though. In sin tee's solo wizard (shield dwarf wizard) video he goes battlemage and with a 2H hammer since the Minotaurs are weak to bludgeoning damage, he consumes an oil of sharpness and potion of hill giant strength and proceeds to one shot the minotaur with a single swing.

Consumables in this game are hilariously busted.

Originally Posted by crashdaddy
Originally Posted by grysqrl
- We can go about how it should have been implemented according to your ideals of a table top game, but the fact is I'm more interested with how it's actually implemented in a videogame that actually takes resources to build and create cohesion with instead of just imagining things and writing them down to pen and paper.
It's a video game that's ostensibly based on a tabletop game that was designed with substantially more rigor and eye towards balance. This isn't about my ideals, it's about WotC having already done the work and Larian making a hash of it.

No, you're wrong here in your last statement. The very fact that you are arguing with Zenith who is saying they should prioritise this as a videogame first and foremost, should alert you to the fact that it's not just about slavishly recreating a game that reflects 5e's rules but also appealing to a market who quite frankly aren't that bothered by how accurately they are followed, as long as the game plays well.

What he's saying is undoubtable true too. If you want to optimise your character, certain race/class combinations are clearly better than others. The only real answer to this is you don't have to optimise your character. Tasha's changed this but who knows if they'll add this. He points out the elf and dwarf but in fact for the vast majority of classes that will be introduced the half elf is the obvious go to race for getting the best character.

People seem to think 5e is this perfectly balanced system while forgetting that it is the dm's application of this system that actually balances it. A dm who applies the encounters he uses for a party of intelligent, rules savvy powergamers to a bunch of unoptimized clueless rp'ers will soon find balance issues. Laraian is the dm as well as the developer. And has to make a game that appeals to a massive swathe of people. A lot of whom will want to spend a minimal amount of time learning the intricacies of 5e. And also keep their Larianisms, because believe it or not, they do have actual fans of these. A certain amount of people will expect the cheese in the game and be disappointed if it's not there.

There was even talk about adding a lone wolf mode ffs! smile

Keeping everybody happy is a lose/lose situation. It can't work, compromises have to be made to appeal to the biggest market possible. I have two big gamer friends one of whom says he'll play BG3 on release. I asked both of them if they would play an rpg where it's baked into the system that even the most optimised character will miss 33% of the time on average. Both said Hell No.

These people don't care about the market or the game being widely successful and profitable for the company so it gains enough profits to reliably grow. They care about a 3D rendering of their pen and paper game, however much it alienates a large swath of gamers.

And the fact they're even acknowledging all these obnoxious aspects will get modded out, so the game should be left as is happens to tell you everything you need to know.

Last edited by Zenith; 15/03/21 10:55 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Topgoon

Based on this post, there appears to be 8 in the game. In my current Patch 4 "100%" save I have 6. I likely missed a couple, or there may be a degree to RNG when it comes to loot. Regardless, it's a decent amount if you're only using it for 1 character, but 8 potions will only last the party for 2 rests.

Note, you also cannot stack the resistance potions (but it does work with the spell). So in the EA right now, you can cast the level 2 Protection from Poison spell and drink any other Elemental potion to have 2 resistances.
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure vendor potions restock after every long rest. I haven't counted who has what at any stage but that basically allows a steady supply if the vendor has the common potions.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
Originally Posted by Topgoon

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure vendor potions restock after every long rest. I haven't counted who has what at any stage but that basically allows a steady supply if the vendor has the common potions.

Right. I just took a look - the only vendor I can find having fire resistance potion is the Gnome lady in the Underdark (at the Myconid Colony), and she'll restock 1 potion on every long rest.

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if the later vendors (i.e. at Baldur's Gate) restocks 3-4 resistance potion that will essentially let the party have resistance to 1 type of elemental damage at all time.

Even in a dedicated warlock build, the famed master of solo's and uber-optimized gameplay, sin tee, doesn't even use a Tiefling. Surprise, it's yet another elf. Who knew, with the incredibly trove of advantages sunk into one race, that +2 stats to a relevant attribute would be hardly worth the trade. It's also why come lv4 most people are not even taking the extra 2 bonus attributes, but instead picking up wizard/warlock initiate or grabbing medium armor proficiency.

That's because he's using a High Half Elf, who gets +2 CHA and 2x +1 to Any stats (including DEX and CON which a Warlock needs more than INT). Half-Elves are the S-Tier race choice for any CHA-based character, in PnP and this game.

Wouldn't change much, though. In sin tee's solo wizard (shield dwarf wizard) video he goes battlemage and with a 2H hammer since the Minotaurs are weak to bludgeoning damage, he consumes an oil of sharpness and potion of hill giant strength and proceeds to one shot the minotaur with a single swing.

As an unrelated side-note, it's not that Minotaur's are actually weak vs. bludgeoning - one of the two minotaur actually wears a magical necklace (Amulet of the Unworthy) that grants slashing resistance and bludgeoning vulnerability. The other takes normal damage. I guess it's supposed to be the "trick" to the encounter.

Last edited by Topgoon; 15/03/21 11:38 PM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
-2 DEX is still 1AC and a lesser chance to be hit, heavy armor or not.

....No.
Heavy armor prevents dex from affecting AC. If you have 20 Dex and heavy armor worth X AC, you still only have X AC, no dex boost.
Medium limits you to +2 and Light gives all.
The idea is that everyone gets roughly (but not exactly) the same AC after the dex heavy classes wear light armor, middleground classes wear medium armor, and dex=dump stat classes wear heavy.

old hand
old hand

Yes, variant human PLEASE!!!!

Z
Zenith Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Z
Just give Tiefling the 2 charisma, a choice of 2 stat allocation, and superior dark vision. Half elf would probably still be better because Fey Ancestry is OP and wood elf 10.5m is also OP, but at least Tiefling wouldn't be so awful.

Humans just need a racial overhaul.

Humans with varient human trait could be argued better than most other races because the extra feat is very very valuable with all feats available I would consider it over other races with the extra feat if you had access to every feat. Secondly fire resistance has a high value stat block. Since fire is again the most common source of damage and does remove the need for consumables in the same way. I mean if you look at consumables in the same aspect light spells compensate for dark vision which they do all have base dark vision and they do gain an additional ability at 5th level for all the tiefling races which is not present in game currently because the level cap is 4...

So your weighting +1 additional stat with a half elf mind you you do have choice currently vs tieflings which do not get full choice currently as all the subraces are not unlocked.
So +1 stat
+save vs charm, immune to sleep (which is less effective later on)
1.5 m movement or a cantrip of your choice

vs

fire resistance - Most common damage type in general.
1 additional spell like ability and another spell like ability you dont have access to at 5th level

Seperate downside note you dont get to chose your 1 ability boost very highly as a tiefling because you lose out on full racial options currently for tieflings as not all subraces are available.

Its not as lacking in balance as you might think if i didnt not like tieflings I could see a reason to consider playing one fairly easily especially with 5th level abilities however i do like the +1.5 m movement a lot because I do prefer playing melee classes and movement matters in that case. In same aspect there are alot of fights in balders gate where everthing around you gets lit up like a xmas tree with fire because well larion likes to use alot of explosive fire items on characters though its tone down from patch 2 pretty deciently its still pretty common.

If your cross compairing them vs shield dwarves currently shield dwarf is going to win because 1 stats are not rolled which they do get that extra +1 overall stat and armor which is pretty big vs losing 1.5 m speed. Depending what you want to do however 16 str and 16 con vs 17 and 17 there is no difference unless if your not taking the feat for +1 to 2 ability scores. If you are well then the dwarf has an edge for that which is where rolling stats would have a larger factor as the game goes futhers because that stat buff could be off set with a half feat well placed.

In the same perspective you do get the +2 cha which as a cha based class the dwarf does not. There are alot of things to weight in there as well as the fact not all sub-races for the classes are present and that does give more options in how you build your setup.

If you really like tieflings well that would weight in and you picking them for there utility and you would be looking more at what subrace is missing that would fill that gap. Additionally humans are op if they add varient human if they do not well yeah humans are not so hot overall for most classes as +2 +1 +1 over weights +1 to all stats. varient humans case your taking it because you want the feat which is a good reason in a lot of cases to take the race early power spikes and stat allocation in a way you want. Much better on caster classes i might consider the default human class slightly better if you were playing paladin / bard or you needed a lot of mid tier ability scores and maybe 1 high score.

Also early access shield dwarf mages are overpowered currently because of the headband of intellect available at low levels a lack of ability score rolling and a lack of levels present. Ability score rolling would negate alot of the benefits to playing the shield dwarf as levels increased. As you could counter balance it with a feat and the default stat block would be even in alot of cases.

-----------------------
In conclusion
-----------------------
There is a lot being overlooked. As noted fire resistance is the most common source of damage in dnd and in the bg3 game outside physical damage itself and if your talking pure stats your weighting an ability score diversity not present currently because not all tiefling races are currently available.

veteran
veteran
On the other hand racial imbalances kind of pale next to the elephants in the room. Jump, backstab, high ground, shove, barrelmancy. While those exist the tactical layer is so broken as to make other balance concerns irrelevant.
This should be the actual discussion.

Character building has definitely taken a back seat while Larian's house rules basically run tactical combat. Which is not very tactical but doing backstabs and getting high ground on repeat. Or cheesing with Stealth.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R

After what I've seen so far from the devs? No, I mean 'mod'. As in, let us decide.

I mean I want to argue with this but Larian aren't making it particularly easy for me. If Larian can't demonstrate a better understanding of the games balance than they have thus far then it might be better to change as little as possible so as to make modders lives easier. That said they'll have to make some changes to get the interface working so implementing a few extra tweaks via adding existing optional rules and splat is probably still worthwhile.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard