Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#765087 15/03/21 11:56 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I *REALLY* hope they will implement the variant human option. Feats are rare enough in DnD 5th, so to have that option in character creation is wonderful. <3
That should NOT be hard to implement, right?

R
stranger
stranger
R
I think Variant Human completely warps the character creation meta in D&D 5E and I kind of hope they dont include it as a race option. I think a better way to implement it would be to have a game mode where ALL races have the option to take a feat at level 1.

old hand
old hand
The variant human's feat represent humanity's larger and more varying natural potential. Other races are better suited towards certain particular things, but humanity has the advantage of diversity -- they are less powerful on average but have a higher variance and potential to excel of individuals. Humans are weaker but better at adapting.

That is why they get hardly any racial features. If anything, giving every race a free feat is what would throw off the "character creation meta" as it would leave humans without any bonuses compared to other races.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I am really fine with anything as long as we get more feats, preferably at level 1 already =)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dexai
The variant human's feat represent humanity's larger and more varying natural potential. Other races are better suited towards certain particular things, but humanity has the advantage of diversity -- they are less powerful on average but have a higher variance and potential to excel of individuals. Humans are weaker but better at adapting.

That is why they get hardly any racial features. If anything, giving every race a free feat is what would throw off the "character creation meta" as it would leave humans without any bonuses compared to other races.
That's why, if every other race gets a free feat, Variant Humans start off with 2 feats!

M
Banned
Banned
M
The game is fine as it is. If you don't like it, then use some hacking tool to make your character have all the feats or whatever.

old hand
old hand
I don't think it messes up the "meta" cause you trade unique racial abilities for a feat. It's a mostly fair trade so I welcome it.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by MrSam
The game is fine as it is. If you don't like it, then use some hacking tool to make your character have all the feats or whatever.

I don't want "all the feats or whatever". I want the variant human as an option, just like you have in the PHB.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I'm not hearing a downside.

old hand
old hand
In that case I suggest we give all other racial abilities to humans as well.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I meant the not giving the Humans anything.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Giving humans nothing is just ridiculous. The variant human option is in the PHB and it's frankly the ONLY option I ever take when making a human character.

D
D
Why stop at variant human?
Better to introduce custom lineage from Tasha's. It's almost the same. Except now your are not forced to look like a boring human in a world filled with magic.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
I don't think it messes up the "meta" cause you trade unique racial abilities for a feat. It's a mostly fair trade so I welcome it.

Dude, it is on early access. Obviously it is not fine at it is, and I'm sure they are thinking about implementing variant human and other classes like paladin, bard, etc.

Last edited by Vensatra; 18/03/21 12:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote

Oblivion is the fate of all things.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dastan McKay
Better to introduce custom lineage from Tasha's. It's almost the same. Except now your are not forced to look like a boring human in a world filled with magic.

The issue with that is the same -- the ability to choose bonuses is the humans' racial feature. If you give it to every race then you leave humans without any features -- you'd have to add abilities to them to make up for it.

Originally Posted by Kou The Mad
I meant the not giving the Humans anything.

I know what you meant.

enthusiast
enthusiast
+1 for adding variant human. It's in phb. It is also a pve single player game. If you were fine with some species being weaker than one being stronger should also not be an issue. Humans will be both the strongest and weakest which fits the species lorewise.

D
D
Originally Posted by Dastan McKay

The issue with that is the same -- the ability to choose bonuses is the humans' racial feature. If you give it to every race then you leave humans without any features -- you'd have to add abilities to them to make up for it.

I'm one of those players that struggle between min/maxing and role playing. I want to play an unusual character, and be effective mechanically. Creating an orc wizard is a bad idea stat wise, but it is an interesting concept.
So i don't see the problem in making every racial bonuses the same. I see the solution.

old hand
old hand
The problem is that humans lose their defining trait and get nothing for it in return. Every other race has a host of racial abilities that define them. Humans defining racial feature is their adaptability. If their stat selection feature is given to every race then they need to be given unique abilities to make up for it.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Vensatra
Originally Posted by CJMPinger

Dude, it is on early access. Obviously it is not fine at it is, and I'm sure they are thinking about implementing variant human and other classes like paladin, bard, etc.

Uh, I was saying I would like to see Variant Human and was saying it is not an unbalanced thing to add? I was not saying against that or saying the EA is absolutely fine the way it is?

stranger
stranger
I too hope we get the variant human on release

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard