Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
***SPOILERS***

In my current game, I just got Shadowheart to fess up about worshiping Shar. I don't always look at the journal entry when it's been updated, but this time I did and was rather surprised to read:

"We learned Shadoheart worships the goddess Shar. It shouldn't be a problem, though - she's not the only follower of Shar in the party."

Wait, what? If she's not the only follower of Shar in the party, who's the other one? Or other ones? Larian said they've only added the evil and neutral companions thus far, so I can't imagine any of the upcoming companions would be into Shar. It can't be Lae'zel, she's all about Vlaakith. Gale is besotted with Mystra, so that leaves Astarion and Wyll. Hmm...

Thoughts? Speculation?

Artist, Writer, Poet, Crank
Art, poetry, and prose of a grim and unserious nature.
https://www.lrjonte.com/
enthusiast
enthusiast
I noted that in my last play through as well, but as I was playing a non-cleric drow, I wasn't sure if the game was just getting confused (read bugged) about my choice of worship.

Obviously, if non-drow, non-shar worshipping characters are also getting this tidbit, that open up the door to other possibilities - either through origin characters or temporary party additions contemplated by the plot (perhaps short term computer controlled characters joining the party for a particular purpose), that have yet to be incorporated into gameplay.

veteran
veteran
If it is one of our current companions, my bet would be on Astarion. I mean, it makes sense, that he as a vampire would worship the goddess of darkness. Plus he is very chilled about SH confessing, that she is a priestess of Shar. I don't think, an evil godess like Shar would make sense for Wyll or Gale (who of course is a Mystra worshipper).

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
addict
addict
In Patch 4, I sometimes see "Deity : Shar" when levelling up Wyll. But it's not in all saves/PC. I have seen the same on Gale. And on my Ranger PC. Funnily, not on my Druid PC. So this looks pretty buggy at the moment.

However, the problem in the journal has been there since at least Patch 2.

And if Larian does indeed plan to have another Shar worshipper in the party, announcing it through the journal isn't exactly great writing. Thinking about it : we have one confirmed Shar worshipper, Shadowheart, who is very bad at being discreet about it, and we might have another one, who is announced through immersion-breaking journal. Not a great track record for adepts of a deity of secrets ...

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
In Patch 4, I sometimes see "Deity : Shar" when levelling up Wyll. But it's not in all saves/PC. I have seen the same on Gale. And on my Ranger PC. Funnily, not on my Druid PC. So this looks pretty buggy at the moment.
I've had it happen too (when Shadowheart was in the party), but it was on all of the characters. An entire party of Shar worshippers. laugh

H
stranger
stranger
H
I think it's a bug related to the level up bug that will display all characters deity as Shar.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think it may be something more complicated. Without a doubt the MC is more than what meets the eye. The dead mindflayer with the hobgoblin, the dreams, the ending lines of EA, etc hint at this. Shar is all about memory loss too. I get the feeling we will get shoehorned to being attached to shar. Maybe a new shadow creature created by shar or a new subterfuge avatar of shar with a tadpole. A new checkmate to destroy her enemies.

I hate it. I see the anime amnesia coming and I hate it even more. Datamine suggests but does not confirm they all worship shar but to different degrees. Even karlach and gale. Secrets is part of shars too. So I wouldn't be suprised.

I don't know anything for sure and honestly I hope Larian does not go in that direction. It could explain why you don't get an origin and start in the middle of the ship though.

All speculation.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn

However, the problem in the journal has been there since at least Patch 2.

And if Larian does indeed plan to have another Shar worshipper in the party, announcing it through the journal isn't exactly great writing. Thinking about it : we have one confirmed Shar worshipper, Shadowheart, who is very bad at being discreet about it, and we might have another one, who is announced through immersion-breaking journal. Not a great track record for adepts of a deity of secrets ...

Speaking of immersion breaking:Astarion is happily talking about vampire stuff and Cazador, before it is even revealed, that he is a vampire. I think it's as much a bug as a lot of things Shar related right now.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Aishaddai
I think it may be something more complicated. Without a doubt the MC is more than what meets the eye. The dead mindflayer with the hobgoblin, the dreams, the ending lines of EA, etc hint at this. Shar is all about memory loss too. I get the feeling we will get shoehorned to being attached to shar. Maybe a new shadow creature created by shar or a new subterfuge avatar of shar with a tadpole. A new checkmate to destroy her enemies.

I hadn't considered that possible turn of events. Instead, my mind went even darker and spun me a 'what if Gale is actually evil and faking everything right now' scenario. If you romanced him, that would make his eventual reveal all the more gut-wrenching. Suffice it to say, the idea really creeped me out.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by fylimar
Speaking of immersion breaking:Astarion is happily talking about vampire stuff and Cazador, before it is even revealed, that he is a vampire. I think it's as much a bug as a lot of things Shar related right now.

Yeah, I'm hoping they eventually fix that.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ArcanaJayne

I hadn't considered that possible turn of events. Instead, my mind went even darker and spun me a 'what if Gale is actually evil and faking everything right now' scenario. If you romanced him, that would make his eventual reveal all the more gut-wrenching. Suffice it to say, the idea really creeped me out.

Oh I 100 percent think he is evil. Being rejected by Mystra to me means he is not neutral. To give my frame of reference: The goddess of magic protects a certain dracolich from adventurers because he is constantly making new magic. His goal is to make super dragons, but she does not care as long as he keeps making new magic. So the fact that she rejected Gale tells me, if Larian holds to lore, that he has shadow weave which is from Shar not Mystra.

I almost wish Gale was Karsus but Karsus is not that dumb to have shadow weave or whatever in his chest. My guess is that Gale will turn to lichdom. He does not mind dark deals, wants immortality for study like the astral, wants a certain book from an undead organisation to probably take apart before eating, very manipulative. I don't know seems like a lich in the making to me, but out of necessity.

Again all speculation.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Oh I 100 percent think he is evil. Being rejected by Mystra to me means he is not neutral. To give my frame of reference: The goddess of magic protects a certain dracolich from adventurers because he is constantly making new magic. His goal is to make super dragons, but she does not care as long as he keeps making new magic. So the fact that she rejected Gale tells me, if Larian holds to lore, that he has shadow weave which is from Shar not Mystra.

SHRIEK

P
addict
addict
P
I have been thinking the main antagonist, the one behind the dreams and the mutated tadpoles is going to be Shar.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Might be talking out of my bum here, but isn't there a dialogue option along the lines of, "I worship Shar too...", or something? If that's the case, I'd be willing to bet all my pickpocketed gold that the "I saw Shar on tour back in '88" journal entry is being triggered by other, more normal dialogue options.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
There is an option like that for the PC, when SH first confesses, but I've never used it. It would be weird of the game defaulted to that being the case if the option isn't chosen.

P
addict
addict
P
There is an option like that for the PC, when SH first confesses, but I've never used it. It would be weird of the game defaulted to that being the case if the option isn't chosen.

In this playthrough I am playing a duel wielding Cleric of Shar PC. Believe it or not, it is a pretty decent build. Just focus on mostly strength with some dex in there, and duel wield works out great for playing. No special melee attacks but really works, hell it is still more efficient than playing a Ranger. Anyways, there is a lot of really cool discussion choices with SH.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Pandemonica

In this playthrough I am playing a duel wielding Cleric of Shar PC. Believe it or not, it is a pretty decent build. Just focus on mostly strength with some dex in there, and duel wield works out great for playing. No special melee attacks but really works, hell it is still more efficient than playing a Ranger. Anyways, there is a lot of really cool discussion choices with SH.

I think it's probably something like the coder typed SHConvJRStr023B instead of SHCinvJRStr023C. My working theory.

Banned
Banned
When you get Shadowheart to confess that she worships Shar and talk to her about Shar at camp after that, you can pick the dialogue choice towards the end that says, "I'd be lying if I said it didn't sound convincing. You should tell me more some time". Three people will react to that. Shadowheart approves. Lae'zel disapproves (no surprise there). And Astarion approves.

I don't know if it means anything to see Astarion showing approval for the main character saying she wants to learn more about Shar. But he could be the other Shar worshipper that the game has spoiled for us.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Passerby
When you get Shadowheart to confess that she worships Shar and talk to her about Shar at camp after that, you can pick the dialogue choice towards the end that says, "I'd be lying if I said it didn't sound convincing. You should tell me more some time". Three people will react to that. Shadowheart approves. Lae'zel disapproves (no surprise there). And Astarion approves.

I don't know if it means anything to see Astarion showing approval for the main character saying she wants to learn more about Shar. But he could be the other Shar worshipper that the game has spoiled for us.
I feel like companions shouldn't gain/lose approval during private conversations with other companions. Are we really talking to Shadowheart loud enough that everyone else can hear? If we enter a relationship with one of the companions, are all those personal conversations also going to be broadcast to the camp?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
I feel like companions shouldn't gain/lose approval during private conversations with other companions. Are we really talking to Shadowheart loud enough that everyone else can hear? If we enter a relationship with one of the companions, are all those personal conversations also going to be broadcast to the camp?

Suddenly we're back to DragonAge origins territory, where just as you and your romance partner are getting down to uh... business, you can see the whole camp (and presumably they can see you) because no one thought to close the stupid flap.

Link Copied to Clipboard