Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
These traps, though I agree they should be there in the numbers you've currently added, are a bit annoying. What I mean is that in order to disable them, you have to shoot them from a distance a thousand times. If you don't, you have to sneak around. For most of the tunnel, sneaking is fine, but when you have to do the jump to try to get to the dead human guy, you can't just jump and sneak immediately. So they blast the crap out of you before you can actually sneak. Even if you do get to sneak, you often get revealed again because you're on fire. So you have to destroy all the statues there before jumping across, thus shooting the statues a gazillion times.

Can we have a way to more quickly disable those statues? Maybe, if you rescue and heal the druid guy, can he give you something that you can wear that allows you and your party to move about in the tunnel without getting fried by the statues? Or maybe can we have a hidden switch that will shut them off? If there is one already, that's awesome. I've just never found it.

veteran
veteran
If you sneak before jumping, you will keep sneaking when you land. wink

But i like the idea with his crown.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

Tried that. I did sneak and jumped. Statues hit me anyway.

veteran
veteran
Odd ... they never attacked me. O_o
And i was there with full party.

Z
addict
addict
Z
Just bring Wyll, Eldritch Blast kills them a lot faster than any other character as they seem to be resistant to arrows and Gale's atrocious cantrips.

Previously I was able to pickpocket Nettie's crown that Halsin mentions, which also gives you +1 nature, but it seems like this latest patch removed that as it's no longer in her pickpocket inventory, so you can't grab the crown to go the other way around.

veteran
veteran
You can pickpocket that same crown from that knocked Halfling druid tho.
But it never helped me with statues. O_o

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I have no issues with the statue traps for the most part. I think it's a good addition to the game to have some traps that aren't able to just be disabled via a disable trap kit. Not every trap in the universe can be disabled in the conventional way.

But how do the druids get around that tunnel. If it is the crown item that you can grab off the knocked out halfling druid and/or Nettie's crown, I'm good with that. However, I will tell you that I tried that as well and my character was still blasted into oblivion by the statues. I put on the crown from the halfling and died most heinously.

So if the crowns are the key, that's great. That makes sense. I'm good with that. However, it's not working correctly and may need to be fixed. Could be that it was just my game that glitched.

Z
addict
addict
Z

They don't help you about the statues, but the crown allows you to open the back gate from Nettie's sanctum, so you can walk through the backgate and reach the treasure without exposing yourself to the gauntlet of statue traps. Either way, you can lockpick most chests, so getting the key from the dead guy by the 3 statues is unnecessary anyways.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Zenith

They don't help you about the statues, but the crown allows you to open the back gate from Nettie's sanctum, so you can walk through the backgate and reach the treasure without exposing yourself to the gauntlet of statue traps. Either way, you can lockpick most chests, so getting the key from the dead guy by the 3 statues is unnecessary anyways.

Right, but if I'm a first-time player, this is very frustrating. I'm not saying get rid of the traps mind you. I think having surprises like those traps is fun. The first time they hit you, you get a big wakeup call about how you need to be more careful in the game. I'm just saying that if I don't know that the dead guy doesn't have something fun and cool, I'm going to try to search. If the only way to do this is to slowly shoot the statues, that's kind of annoying. I'm not saying that I want them to take this away. Keep the whole shooting the statues as an option. That's fine. I'm just saying that there should be another way, a way that the druids use, to be able to walk around in tunnels without triggering the traps. Druids wouldn't be travelling the tunnels thinking, "I must sneak to get past those statues." They'd have a way to shut off those statues so that the statues don't kill them.

So if it is the crown you can get off Nettie or the halfling druid, that's fine. That makes sense. If it's a hidden switch somewhere that's hard to find. That's fine too. I was only suggesting that they provide SOME other method that makes sense from a story perspective, something maybe a savvy new player might still be able to find if they are being careful.

And, honestly, when I first ran this gauntlet, and there was only 1 statue before the most recent patch, that thing blew the crap out of me. I just had my characters run through the spot enduring the hits because I had no inkling that stealth would disable the statue and I couldn't find any other way to get through. Made no sense to me that stealth would disable the statue. Never even dreamed of it. Why would it? If you sneak in front of the statue, like an invader might be sneaking if they are trying to creep into the druid's grove undetected, the statue wouldn't kill you? Why? If anything, if you are sneaking, the statue should blow the crap out of you.

And why would you sneak? My thought was that this would slow me down and let the statue blast me even more. Why wouldn't the statue see me?

Well, that was my original thoughts anyway in my initial playthrough and only when someone told me you could stealth it did I even try it. I'm sure I'm not alone. I hope I'm not alone, but if I am then fine. Don't change it. Otherwise, my suggestion is to provide some other option that a new player might pick up on.

I really want new players to enjoy the game. I don't want players to get frustrated by stuff like this and quit and then Larian never creates another BG game.

veteran
veteran
I disagree that those traps are fun, especially if you can nearly wipe if you don't pay attention.

Sneaking to avoid those traps makes no sense at all and we should always have checks to find them and a solution to disarm them.

Lots of new players are going to die in this cave and they'll probably won't understand why and what to do.

It was a pain to understand that sneaking was the solution (because again, it makes no sense) and I had the same issue with the dead body.
You have to undertand that if you sneak first then jump, you'll still sneak after the jump (if there's no bug, at the moment there is). This is really not interressting and it's a problem you can only solve through "die and retry".

I don't have a problem with "die and retry" but not for the key of a chest I already opened...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 24/03/21 08:33 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I disagree that those traps are fun, especially if you can nearly wipe if you don't pay attention.

Sneaking to avoid those traps makes no sense at all and we should always have checks to find them and a solution to disarm them.

Lots of new players are going to die in this cave and they'll probably won't understand why and what to do.

It was a pain to understand that sneaking was the solution (because again, it makes no sense) and I had the same issue with the dead body.
You have to undertand that if you sneak first then jump, you'll still sneak after the jump (if there's no bug, at the moment there is). This is really not interressting and it's a problem you can only solve through "die and retry".

I don't have a problem with "die and retry" but not for the key of a chest I already opened...

Wholeheartedly agree.

You brought up another point. Can we NOT have traps blow the crap out of you period. Can we dumb down the rate of fire or something? I'm not just talking the traps in the tunnel. All such traps that just pummel you out of nowhere. I even turn on Turn-Based mode, and they just keep pounding me.

As for the key on the dead guy... *Spoiler: It allows you to open the locked treasure chest (with staff inside) without needing disarm the trap on it, or needing to pick the lock. And any good ranged damage can take out the statues.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Aazo
As for the key on the dead guy... *Spoiler: It allows you to open the locked treasure chest (with staff inside) without needing disarm the trap on it, or needing to pick the lock. And any good ranged damage can take out the statues.

Yes. I know. Im just saying it is tedious and doesn't really make sense. The druids should have a why to disable them and sneaking shouldn't work. The goblins aren't going to just boldly march through the tunnel if they are invading. They'll likely be sneaking up on their enemies. So sneaking seems counter-intuitive to the point of the traps.

veteran
veteran
Its one of possible solutions ...
Personaly i use fog mist or darkness ... its faster. smile

I know what it was for ...
But if you read whole topic, you might find out that there was sugestion of secondary use of that item ... so i provided secondary source. wink

Unecessarity is pure individual, and therefore kinda irellevant. :-/
Not all of us have rogue in our group (yes i know its uneffective, its not my fault that racist Githyanki can have only fighter companion) we can also be out of lockpics etc. etc.
Anyway, once there is option, it should be useable no matter how unnecessary it may seem.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 25/03/21 11:08 AM.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Originally Posted by GM4Him

Tried that. I did sneak and jumped. Statues hit me anyway.

I've been killed that way a couple of times once all the statues had been activated, but lately it's been fine. I was hoping the crown would also act as Identify Friend or Foe, but it didn't seem to. Needing is as a key, though, is an improvement.

Z
addict
addict
Z
Its one of possible solutions ...
Personaly i use fog mist or darkness ... its faster. smile

I know what it was for ...
But if you read whole topic, you might find out that there was sugestion of secondary use of that item ... so i provided secondary source. wink

Unecessarity is pure individual, and therefore kinda irellevant. :-/
Not all of us have rogue in our group (yes i know its uneffective, its not my fault that racist Githyanki can have only fighter companion) we can also be out of lockpics etc. etc.
Anyway, once there is option, it should be useable no matter how unnecessary it may seem.

Don't need a rogue. Shadowheart also has high sleight of hand values rather curiously, though it kinda makes sense given she's a trickster cleric. I user her to pickpocket and lockpick things all the time on my Tiefling druid since I can't stand Astarion as a character.

Last edited by Zenith; 25/03/21 06:20 PM.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Don't need a rogue. Shadowheart also has high sleight of hand values rather curiously, though it kinda makes sense given she's a trickster cleric.
5th edition uses backgrounds to add skills, so any character has the potential to start with the Sleight of Hand skill (and others).

veteran
veteran
Don't need a rogue. Shadowheart also has high sleight of hand values rather curiously, though it kinda makes sense given she's a trickster cleric. I user her to pickpocket and lockpick things all the time on my Tiefling druid since I can't stand Astarion as a character.
Cool ...
But as i writed abowe, i was talking about my racist gith playthrough ... where i was only in company of Lae'zel ... others was, well, lets say they dont locpick anything now.

Personaly i hope that i would be able to gather full Gith party at Creche ...
You know what i mean right? Swen was talking about comanions that are just there to fill the party ... i believe mercenaries was the word? Not sure tho.
I know that one-race party is usualy seen as potentialy weak, but i just love the idea anyway. :P

Z
addict
addict
Z
Cool ...
But as i writed abowe, i was talking about my racist gith playthrough ... where i was only in company of Lae'zel ... others was, well, lets say they dont locpick anything now.

Personaly i hope that i would be able to gather full Gith party at Creche ...
You know what i mean right? Swen was talking about comanions that are just there to fill the party ... i believe mercenaries was the word? Not sure tho.
I know that one-race party is usualy seen as potentialy weak, but i just love the idea anyway. :P

Yeah, the mercenary system from Divinity.

With Lazael I just use the Githyanki lockpicking skill of smashing the chest open in 2 melee strikes lol. Also how I open the lockpick impossible Kagha chest bug on Patch 4 even if you steal her key, or how the Book of Thay has a lockpick impossible gate you just break down.

This game for some reason doesn't put much value in lockpicking because the vast majority of the time you can just break the item open and loot the contents.

Last edited by Zenith; 26/03/21 01:43 AM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hah. Well said. I have also learned the art of "Heck with it. Chop open the dang box."

Last edited by GM4Him; 26/03/21 03:15 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard