Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Aishaddai
I can only speak for myself. I think of it this way: it's EA so things change every other month or so, no idea whether certain things are bugs or intended features. In addition some things need changes when translating from Pnp to video game format like Ranger and probably Monk as well as some rituals and missing spells like "spiritual weapon" and "shield". So to sit down and do a full analysis seems pointless with things being as chaotic as they are for me.

So I wouldn't be suprised if some are hesitant. Now for roleplaying I'll chat all for that, but min/max for me will wait.
I can only speak for myself. I think of it this way: it's EA so things change every other month or so, no idea whether certain things are bugs or intended features. In addition some things need changes when translating from Pnp to video game format like Ranger and probably Monk as well as some rituals and missing spells like "spiritual weapon" and "shield". So to sit down and do a full analysis seems pointless with things being as chaotic as they are for me.

So I wouldn't be suprised if some are hesitant. Now for roleplaying I'll chat all for that, but min/max for me will wait.

Yes, I agree that balance is definitely going to change, but I find that mastering a system takes a while, and that its easier to digest balance changes when you understand the state of balance before the change. So I don't consider guides like mine and the discussion they prompt to be a waste even though the game is going to change. The better we understand the game now the better we will understand the changes when they make them.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
I was a little confused by some of these rankings until I noticed something. Do you count non-combat utility in your grading at all? I'd have pegged the Ranger at a higher tier because they had extremely wide skill use, good utility spells including speak with animals, dex focus and access to thieves tools alongside respectible single target damage, crowd control and survivability. It's a lot of utility even if the amount of times that translates to help in combat is potentially somewhat limited.

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Rack
I was a little confused by some of these rankings until I noticed something. Do you count non-combat utility in your grading at all? I'd have pegged the Ranger at a higher tier because they had extremely wide skill use, good utility spells including speak with animals, dex focus and access to thieves tools alongside respectible single target damage, crowd control and survivability. It's a lot of utility even if the amount of times that translates to help in combat is potentially somewhat limited.

If you read my introduction (I don't blame you if you didn't, I understand its a long article and few people have time to read it all), I discuss combat vs. out of combat utility assumptions for the ranking. I also go into more depth on that in my earlier articles. Basically, for the purposes of power ranking, I factor role-play utility very low. I don't do that because I don't value role-play, I just don't think it can really be measured and compared like direct combat utility can, so I don't think it has a place in a tier list.

Speak with Animals is an example of a spell that I haven't been able to get very much combat utility out of, so yeah, it wouldn't factor in my guide very heavily.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Like I said, I only speak for myself. I'm probably the worst person to talk to about that. I create, manipulate, and manage systems as a lifestyle. People go at different paces. The only mystery to me is the homebrew and how well they stick to lore.

You can get a leg up if you look at the source material and it's expansions if you want. Then cross reference to your hearts content.

I never said your guide was a waste. My point was that you are too early for me to chime in. To evaluate a system you need all the pieces and they need to function as intended.

I don't know who "we" is? Do you mean your team?

I can say if you want a better understanding you might have to drop the dpr focus. The best classes are the classes that gain utility not normally native. Like for example a Paladin Oath of Vengeance can have absurd burst, but what really helps is misty step, haste, and relentless avenger as well as vow of enmity. Typically the class with more reliable advantage is best for melee which is usually reckless attack, precision strike, and vow of enmity.

The way larian has it set up now with free advantage will mean Barbarians and fighters rule melee and its a matter of who gets both pole arm master and great weapon master at certain levels against a specific AC range. Great weapon master is buffed due to ac on early enemies being nerfed but once ac gets higher its almost useless outside the two classes I mentioned in more situations than I'd like. So early is easy but without team planning and utility both will be slaughtered later. Can't do damage if you are dead.

Most of that is not in the game yet so I don't like talking about it. Don't even bother with spells till fireball is in. It's strong more so from when you get it than raw power. It's more complicated than that though. Just giving a rough idea.

My point is dpr is not even close to end all be all. Utility is king would be what I'd expect but don't know for sure till larian shows more. With Mindflayers, demons/devils, and story locks you can't dump mental stats as much. You could go evil for tadpole cheat codes, but that's not my style. The hag shows why mind control can really suck the fun right out.

Phb has been out a long time. The math has been done enough for me. I just need a full view of the homebrew.

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
I don't know who "we" is? Do you mean your team?

I meant the BG3 community in general.

I can say if you want a better understanding you might have to drop the dpr focus. The best classes are the classes that gain utility not normally native.

I don't think I have a DPR focus. I do have a DPR focus for striker classes, because their job is DPR, but the two base classes I ranked S-tier were not strikers and I didn't say anything about their DPR. Now, obviously, even for striker classes, DPR isn't everything. For example, trading worse DPR for, say, better durability can be a good trade, because a you can't do damage when you are dead. Moreover, mobility is essential for strikers, since better mobility means better target selection. I mention all of that in my intro.

addict
addict
For those unfamiliar with 5e, level 5 is the largest power spike in the game followed by a smaller spike at 7. It's why larian is scared of level 5 and will not release it for EA. So don't get use to rogues and fighters pulling out ahead. Different classes spike at different points throughout a campaign. Casters rule dnd unfortunately.

Just want to point that out. For reference.
A level 10 rogue 5/ranger 5 will be able to outshine everyone in terms of damage as well. 4 attacks per round + sneak attack + hunter's mark. This with TWF from ranger and dual wielder feat using two rapiers... which is so stupid if you think a little bit. Why are thieves killing machines in this game?

Last edited by Danielbda; 25/03/21 08:37 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Danielbda
For those unfamiliar with 5e, level 5 is the largest power spike in the game followed by a smaller spike at 7. It's why larian is scared of level 5 and will not release it for EA. So don't get use to rogues and fighters pulling out ahead. Different classes spike at different points throughout a campaign. Casters rule dnd unfortunately.

A level 10 rogue 5/ranger 5 will be able to outshine everyone in terms of damage as well. 4 attacks per round + sneak attack + hunter's mark. This with TWF from ranger and dual wielder feat using two rapiers... which is so stupid if you think a little bit. Why are thieves killing machines in this game?

Lol right? Wait till barb 2/ fighter X and sorcadin. Heads will spin.

addict
addict

These at least make a little sense. Thief being the highest DPR in the game is something I can't get my head around.
What will be the Assassin for?

D
addict
addict
D

These at least make a little sense. Thief being the highest DPR in the game is something I can't get my head around.

They will add some goofy house rule for assassins.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Oh yeah I see what you mean.

What about Paladin/ Warlock? Pretty strong but horrible thematically. Some things in dnd are just silly and that's before homebrew changes.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by dwig

We can expect this for every class really.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I want to try Warlock 2/Sorcerer 3/Thief X. The ability to cast Hex, then Sneak Attack, then Eldritch Blast, then Quickened Scorching Ray in 1 round has me grinning...

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by dwig
Probably the ability to poison barrels to produce a toxic cloud and maybe a subclass specific spiked ring so shove can have poison damage added to it. (I do not wish for more cheese, just preparing myself for it anyway.)

What about Paladin/ Warlock? Pretty strong but horrible thematically.
Works great for a Conquest paladin. laugh Celestial warlock probably would work for a good aligned paladin, maybe even Archfey.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard