Print Thread
#766757 24/03/21 08:22 PM
T
Tabuk Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
So I noticed all the rings I have come across don't really have a purpose, or function. Unlike the necklaces I have found, which gives a description of what it does.

So are rings just for selling or are they magic and you just have to discover what they do?

Tabuk #766765 24/03/21 08:59 PM
veteran
veteran
They aren't.

At the moment I'm not sure there's a lot of magical ring in the game. Early early access smile

Last edited by Maximuuus; 25/03/21 05:11 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Tabuk #766778 24/03/21 10:31 PM
addict
addict
In the underdark, there are rings that give you skills or up your stats. In the tower. So not 'all'. If nothing is written on the ring, then it is most likely for selling.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
Tabuk #766784 24/03/21 10:56 PM
veteran
veteran

Maximuuus #766810 25/03/21 01:13 AM
Z
addict
addict
Z
Look at that fextralife link. There are quite a few, the most powerful by far being the one you get from killing Crusher (the goblin at the camp you make kiss your foot). You can actually intimidate him to kiss your foot, wait for him to go piss alone at the bridge and kill him without aggroing anything else.

The ring gaves you a whopping +3m movement, basically double the wood elf racial, which is a ton.

The other ring I noticed is the one that gives you +1 arcana +1 religion from the Arcane Tower in the underdark.

The other big one is the one you buy from the vendor in the Myconid colony, it gives you the ability to not have penalty against obscured enemies. Helps casters a lot in the underdark. Another gives d4 to saving throws after you heal someone.

Tabuk #766880 25/03/21 08:41 AM
veteran
veteran
You don't have to kill Crusher, if you want to instead impress Astarion with the gymnastic skill of your tongue...

I still really wish there was more dialogue follow up for doing that. It's a great place to flirt...

Tabuk #766927 25/03/21 02:23 PM
A
A
By the end of EA, if you're thorough, you can have your entire party equipped with magical rings, although some are more useful than others.

Crusher's Ring - Ring of Poison Resistance - Mage's Friend - Sunwalker's Gift - Ring of Colour Spray - Whispering Promise - Smuggler's Ring - Ring of Restorative Gravity - Explorer's Ring - Ring of Psionic Protection - Guiding Light

Last edited by Adiktus; 25/03/21 02:23 PM. Reason: Changed "end of game" to "end of EA"
Zenith #767029 26/03/21 01:40 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zenith
There are quite a few, the most powerful by far being the one you get from killing Crusher (the goblin at the camp you make kiss your foot).
I'd argue the Whispering Promise is more powerful; it means you can have no-concentration Bless on a single character every round for the cost of eating an apple; especially on a Thief where the extra bonus action can be used. But opinions differ I guess. smile

Tabuk #767047 26/03/21 05:23 AM
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
You can actually find a Ring of Poison Resistance in one of the stone coffins in the area in the room just outside of where Halsin is being held.

Tabuk #767126 26/03/21 06:42 PM
old hand
old hand
I am surprised no one is mentioning those fragrantly overpower rings the kid in the grove sells you, wish that early is rankly ridiculous! (Joking)

There are actually a few decent rings but not many. In fact I actually consider it the right amount for 1-4, enough that you have options but not so many that they feel worthless.

Tabuk #767134 26/03/21 07:39 PM
veteran
veteran
I really hope they'll create more/only D&D items instead of WTF DoS things (Lolz bless if u eat an apple, so fun!).

Last edited by Maximuuus; 26/03/21 07:39 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Maximuuus #767151 26/03/21 10:10 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I really hope they'll create more/only D&D items instead of WTF DoS things (Lolz bless if u eat an apple, so fun!).

How does a magic item become a DnD magic item, rather than a D:OS magic item, exactly? Have the rules become so rigid that you roll on a table or use a formula, rather than your imagination?

We have a reasonable choice of not too powerful items, for a low-level experience, which seems about right to me; I expect more interesting loot as the game progresses. If not, I'm sure there will be no shortage of mods to add anything you want from DnD's past.

Tabuk #767156 26/03/21 10:52 PM
old hand
old hand
I am fine with a good mix of custom items and "D&D items", like some rings taken straight from the books with their lore and effects, while some custom stuff like the mentioned apple bless ring (though that one would be more balanced if you remove the ability to eat in combat so you have to eat before combat OR use it for out of combat stuff)

CJMPinger #767158 26/03/21 11:15 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
I am fine with a good mix of custom items and "D&D items", like some rings taken straight from the books with their lore and effects, while some custom stuff like the mentioned apple bless ring (though that one would be more balanced if you remove the ability to eat in combat so you have to eat before combat OR use it for out of combat stuff)

Yeah, I just find the constant refrain of "it's not in the book" to be rather wearing. I played the original DnD and ADnD/2e, and there was never the same rigid-thinking attitude. Every story module added its own flavour to the base books, and every DM made up their own stories, items, and even classes and races. Much of what made the game fun was NOT knowing what you would meet and find.

Tastes change, I guess.

etonbears #767162 27/03/21 01:28 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by etonbears

Yeah, I just find the constant refrain of "it's not in the book" to be rather wearing. I played the original DnD and ADnD/2e, and there was never the same rigid-thinking attitude. Every story module added its own flavour to the base books, and every DM made up their own stories, items, and even classes and races. Much of what made the game fun was NOT knowing what you would meet and find.

Tastes change, I guess.

A lot of why many argue for book purity is because a lot of what Larian has added or changed has been more than a little broken so people want to move things back to 5e before actually making changes, see what does and doesn't work in a videogame format before changing things drastically.

Though I do not think their custom Magic Items are that bad, and there are some lore relevant ones like the Necromancy of Thay or The Iron Flask.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 27/03/21 01:29 AM.
etonbears #767176 27/03/21 07:31 AM
veteran
veteran
How does a magic item become a DnD magic item, rather than a D:OS magic item, exactly?

When it does something when you do something ?
(Excluded attacking ofc)

- bless if you heal
- poison your weapons if you heal
- increase elemental damages if standing on a surface

Fortunately there's not a lot of those items.

Anyway itemization is pretty bad at the moment (OP items/useless items) so I guess it will change.

I don't care if it's not in the book but at least, items in the books looks balanced and usefull.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 27/03/21 08:06 AM.

etonbears #767182 27/03/21 08:49 AM
S
addict
addict
S
List of rings in the game currently:

https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/Rings

How does a magic item become a DnD magic item, rather than a D:OS magic item, exactly? Have the rules become so rigid that you roll on a table or use a formula, rather than your imagination?

We have a reasonable choice of not too powerful items, for a low-level experience, which seems about right to me; I expect more interesting loot as the game progresses. If not, I'm sure there will be no shortage of mods to add anything you want from DnD's past.

Is there a formula for things being considered reasonable and not too powerful outside your own imagination? Pot kettle black.

There are plenty of items I would call unreasonable and overpowered for low level characters. But you largely miss what I think Maximuuus meant; finding magic items that are commonplace in BG3, used to be meaningful and deeply rewarding both in the original game and in D&D proper. Larian is so dead set on putting their own spin on things, that nearly everything is their own homebrew, and when everything is special, nothing is special.

Last edited by Seraphael; 27/03/21 08:51 AM.
Tabuk #767189 27/03/21 12:24 PM
stranger
stranger
I have to say I really like the items which also give you some downside to equipping them and are not just a plain buff - hope there will be more of those.
So far I am impressed with the game's use of them - f.e. the minotaur with the modified resistances (due to an item) - would be awesome if Larian could somehow sneak in "detect magic" or some similar mechanic so you can spot things like that more easily and not after the fact.

Last edited by Mauru; 27/03/21 12:37 PM.
CJMPinger #767197 27/03/21 02:59 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
To be fair, the effect lasts 1 round; so whilst it's powerful, it's not like you eat an apple and then just spam Blessed attacks for a whole fight. It's is a pretty solid use of a Thief's extra Bonus Action though... :P

Last edited by Elessaria666; 27/03/21 03:02 PM.
Elessaria666 #767233 27/03/21 09:28 PM
Z
addict
addict
Z
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
Originally Posted by Zenith
There are quite a few, the most powerful by far being the one you get from killing Crusher (the goblin at the camp you make kiss your foot).
I'd argue the Whispering Promise is more powerful; it means you can have no-concentration Bless on a single character every round for the cost of eating an apple; especially on a Thief where the extra bonus action can be used. But opinions differ I guess. smile

I use Shadowheart in my party for Bless, and she's the highest AC member of the group, so concentration is rarely an issue, and when it is I just cast Mirror Image.

Shadowheart with my druid PC gives me two people to heal and rez from range with, and Inflict Wounds rank 2 with exposing bite from wolf form is the nastiest combo in the game if you don't cheese rogue stealth surprise attacks with Wyvern poison.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard