Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
I ask this because I have seen people divided on Gale as a character. More times than not, he is seen either as a narcissistic, dishonest man who only wishes to rob you of magical items or he is charming and witty who has been trying to face the consequences of decisions made by a folly, younger self. Recently, I have seen people make him out to be the former, pointing to how (if you romance him) he withhold his secret because telling Tav before because he suspects that he would not be able to sleep with them and how he appeals to Tav's good nature to benefit only himself. On the other hand, people have also found him to be rather charming and witty (if a bit cheesy at times), stating that he is trying to come to terms and rectify the mistake he made that brought about the situation he finds himself in.

I find myself in the latter camp. Haven't gotten around to romancing Gale myself, but I have watched enough videos about all of the characters to achieve a decent image of who they are (though that method is flawed in its own ways). I have forged a friendship with Gale in almost every playthrough and I feel he is genuinely a good person (while still suffering from his inflated ego after being a prodigy all his life). The way he reacts to your actions indicates that he is empathetic and wishes to help others when they are in trouble, especially when it comes to children. He also is reflective and regretful, as demonstrated during the romance when he fails to cast a spell he could once do with ease. When you persuade him to open up, he comes out and states to you that he has been abandoned by Mystra and he is struggling with this new reality of his. Moving to when he reveals his alarming truth, I can only think about what he might be thinking at that moment. He recognizes that he did something immensely dangerous and stupid (agreeing with you if you state as much) and he has burned badly by his first love. In my mind (and I can certainly relate to him in a way), he is simply trying to protect himself and opening up is a sign of trust, honesty, and willingness to be vulnerable. He doesn't want to hurt people if he can help it and will isolate himself to make sure that no one else suffers for his mistake. If you reject him, the sadness and defection on his face is all too visible for us to see and the elation/relief in his voice when you don't reject him is palpable. As far as I can tell, he is no narcissist. In my mind, he is far too empathetic, open to criticism, and (at times) self-degrading. If anything, he is too much of a romantic for his own good.

But enough ranting from me; what do you all think? I'm curious to hear what my fellow players think about our magical ally.

Last edited by DiscountCanadian; 27/03/21 09:30 PM.
I wonder if it falls along the lines of if you are a Galemancer or not, though I have seen this split within the communities of those who do choose to romance him too.

I do get the vibe that for most people who don't romance Gale, he's the defacto do-gooder of the group because of how his approval is gained, and that's our impression of him. I'm not too interested in Gale as a romance option, (tho I'll roll a character for it eventually), but even still - experiencing a lot of his scenes second hand, I have a hard time seeing him as this shady guy.

I also usually play darker characters myself, and I appreciate the fact you can still get some interesting conversations and banter from him even though I think he's written to be neutral good. His knowledge about ceremorphosis and his interpretation of Raphael made for interesting scenes with my darker player characters who tend to thrash at the abyss rather than understand it. And since I typically play fighters, his intellectual arrogance wasn't really wrong. I see a lot of people who romance him roll wizards and feel talked down to in many of his scenes.

I also find that his penchant for talking in parables and anecdotes is a defense mechanism rather than patronization, and likewise, if you tell him to shut the fuck up and just spit it out - it almost seems to help him be more direct in what he wants to say (this is my assumption, haven't played this way yet). He is very insecure, and I'm not 100% sure if it's because he feels so utterly rejected and embarrassed or if it's just an echo of growing up a savant.

In the grand scheme of things, bomb or not, Gale is the least of my concerns in a party where I suspect, if given the chance at this stage of the game, 3 out of 4 of the others might kill my pc to wrest control, gain power, or fulfill some secret mission.

old hand
old hand
My thoughts on Gale are... complicated. He's certainly charming and witty, but he can also be dishonest and selfish, and the latter qualities turn up at some very inopportune moments in the romance. That's a shame, because it puts me off pursuing his romance at all, even though in the early stages it's quite promising.

He seems like a decent guy - under the old alignment system I'd put him at true neutral with good tendencies. I enjoy his non-romance track, it's rewarding to get him to slowly open up and reveal what he's going through, and he's generally helpful and supportive. I know some people find his arrogance off-putting, but I'm more entertained by it than anything. I'm looking forward to where his story goes - I think there are probably a few more surprises in store.

D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by AvatarOfSHODAN
I wonder if it falls along the lines of if you are a Galemancer or not, though I have seen this split within the communities of those who do choose to romance him too.

I do get the vibe that for most people who don't romance Gale, he's the defacto do-gooder of the group because of how his approval is gained, and that's our impression of him. I'm not too interested in Gale as a romance option, (tho I'll roll a character for it eventually), but even still - experiencing a lot of his scenes second hand, I have a hard time seeing him as this shady guy.

I also usually play darker characters myself, and I appreciate the fact you can still get some interesting conversations and banter from him even though I think he's written to be neutral good. His knowledge about ceremorphosis and his interpretation of Raphael made for interesting scenes with my darker player characters who tend to thrash at the abyss rather than understand it. And since I typically play fighters, his intellectual arrogance wasn't really wrong. I see a lot of people who romance him roll wizards and feel talked down to in many of his scenes.

I also find that his penchant for talking in parables and anecdotes is a defense mechanism rather than patronization, and likewise, if you tell him to shut the fuck up and just spit it out - it almost seems to help him be more direct in what he wants to say (this is my assumption, haven't played this way yet). He is very insecure, and I'm not 100% sure if it's because he feels so utterly rejected and embarrassed or if it's just an echo of growing up a savant.

In the grand scheme of things, bomb or not, Gale is the least of my concerns in a party where I suspect, if given the chance at this stage of the game, 3 out of 4 of the others might kill my pc to wrest control, gain power, or fulfill some secret mission.

I agree with you. I do have a character profile, that I will get back to eventually, that will try to romance him. I did watch a video of someone who did a full dive on his romance (it's on YouTube and about 40~ish minutes long), and from what I can tell, I am not sure if he comes off as patronizing but that is just me.

As for his insecurities, I think it is because his first love was so intense at a young age and then being abandoned by the only love you have known is heart-shattering. Being a savant likely attracted his first love early on, which is something we know to be a rather tumultuous time for emotions. If I had to take a crack at it, I am guessing that this happened to him before or around the time he was 20 (kind of guesstimating his age) and this heightened the heartbreak and rejection. I don't think being a savant and fearing rejection are mutually exclusive when it comes to his insecurity.

I am curious to hear from someone who doesn't share our particular mindset on Gale and see what they think of this.

D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
My thoughts on Gale are... complicated. He's certainly charming and witty, but he can also be dishonest and selfish, and the latter qualities turn up at some very inopportune moments in the romance. That's a shame, because it puts me off pursuing his romance at all, even though in the early stages it's quite promising.

He seems like a decent guy - under the old alignment system I'd put him at true neutral with good tendencies. I enjoy his non-romance track, it's rewarding to get him to slowly open up and reveal what he's going through, and he's generally helpful and supportive. I know some people find his arrogance off-putting, but I'm more entertained by it than anything. I'm looking forward to where his story goes - I think there are probably a few more surprises in store.

Makes him all the more human, doesn't it? I've usually thought that his inflated confidence to be a result of his insecurities and fear of abandonment. People tend to find charisma and intelligence to be attractive qualities, I so often theorize that due to his past, personal traumas that he goes overboard with his bravado to keep people at an arm's length but interested enough not to leave. That could be seen as manipulative, but I can understand why he does that if my theory is accurate.

If I might ask, at what point did those less-than-flattering qualities show up for you? I'd like to look at them myself to see if I can better understand your point-of-view.

old hand
old hand
For me, everything goes off the rails character-wise at the party. The first time I actually managed to trigger his romance, I was really enjoying it until this one-two-three punch:

1) After some minor flirtation and stalling the PC romantically for days, on the night of the party Gale decides to go from 0-60mph in terms of physical intimacy, even if the PC has explicitly indicated that they want to take things slower. It's either sex or the end of the romance.

2) The next morning he reveals that he's still-maybe-probably in love with someone else. A goddess, no less. AND he hid this from the PC because he knew it might be a problem and he wanted that sweet booty.

3) Immediately afterwards, he reveals that he's a walking high-yield explosive and a serious danger to everyone around him, especially if those people are ignorant of his explosiveness. Which everyone basically has been until that moment.

One of these things? Not so bad, I can work with it. Two of them? Eh... sketchy, but I can make allowances. All three? Gale has crossed a line in the sand for me. YMMV, of course.

old hand
old hand
I think he falls squarely in Neutral. Both his charm/goodness and his greed/manipulativeness are part of him. And over the course of the game I think he has the potential to move into Scumbag or a Repentant Soul really easily.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
I did not romance Gale, but I did observe the forums here when he was up for a hot discussion and a lot of the things I read about him made me think of that there is DEFINITELY something more about Gale that we'll see on full release - either that he is very much more sinister than he appears to be, or something else. I am intrigued to see what Larian is cooking up for him - and, I just want to point out that I SINCERELY (but politely) disagree about Gale being even a minor reflection of NG (or any type of good, for that matter). More about that later.

First of all, regarding the more obvious parts of his nature (aka, whenever he is a narcissistic arse or not), Tarlonniel summed it up pretty good in the comment above:

For me, everything goes off the rails character-wise at the party. The first time I actually managed to trigger his romance, I was really enjoying it until this one-two-three punch:

1) After some minor flirtation and stalling the PC romantically for days, on the night of the party Gale decides to go from 0-60mph in terms of physical intimacy, even if the PC has explicitly indicated that they want to take things slower. It's either sex or the end of the romance.

2) The next morning he reveals that he's still-maybe-probably in love with someone else. A goddess, no less. AND he hid this from the PC because he knew it might be a problem and he wanted that sweet booty.

3) Immediately afterwards, he reveals that he's a walking high-yield explosive and a serious danger to everyone around him, especially if those people are ignorant of his explosiveness. Which everyone basically has been until that moment.

One of these things? Not so bad, I can work with it. Two of them? Eh... sketchy, but I can make allowances. All three? Gale has crossed a line in the sand for me. YMMV, of course.

These things just come up as extremely off-putting. First time I read it I actually laughed out loud because it was so... Out of place when it comes to my experience of CRPG romances. In my experience, most CRPGs have this really sweet (but cliche) love interests that would do anything for you and then Gale comes up like an almost too-real douchebag. It was very unexpected, at least for me! :'D While his counterparts like Astarion and Wyll at least are more obvious in their less flattering sides (Wylls obsession with himself and heroism and Astarions... Well, general behavior). With these two, there is more room for pleasant surprises than negative ones - but that is for another discussion entirely.

So, regarding that Gale might not just be a bit more of a douchebag, but might actually be directly sinister / evil (Major spoilers ahead, do not read if you don't want to know potentially data-mined information):

I am not able to retrieve the entire discussion, since it was so long ago that the forum seems to have put them in the archive (or trashed it completely) - so bear with me as I am trying to recall the most important parts with my extremely non-viable memory. If someone sees anything faulty in my text, please do not hesitate to correct me. I am trying my best to verify the information externally, but I am going mostly on memory here.

Basically, the discussion summed up the fact that there is definitely beyond a doubt at least something EXTREMELY fishy about Gale. Why? The most obvious reason is the fact that Gale is the only person that we do not directly link ourselves with through the tadpole. He says he has one, but unlike all other companions (and other affected parts) - we do not actually touch his memory, as we do with *ALL* other tadpole'd people. This alone is *extremely* suspicious.

Other than that we have the fact that his former lover is not just a demon (looking at you, Wyll) - but an actual *GODDESS*, and not just *A* goddess, but a *GREATER DEITY* (according to the Forgotten Realms wiki). This is absurdly huge, assuming Gale isn't straight up lying to our face. If Gale truly was Mystras lover, then he should be not just on par with her chosen (who are insanely powerful, as expected by a greater deity's chosen) - but he would actually have to be *EVEN* greater. And this begs the question - what in the Prime Material plane did Gale do to lose her favor? Mystra is Lawful neutral, according to the wiki. Her chosen holds any kind of alignment from Lawful Evil to Chaotic Good (also accorind to the FR wiki), so Mystra does not seem to be picky about the morals of her followers. What could Gale possibly have done to displease her so severely?

So, we have this absurdly powerful wizard in our party who is as weak as us "regular" heroes. We do know that we're supposed to be "zapped" of our strength due to the tadpole, but Gale would be in an entirely different league of having his power zapped, compared to the rest of us. And while it is very obvious that he actually has been stripped off a great deal of power (hence his level and available spells) - we cannot even properly confirm that he has a tadpole. We do have some ways of accessing his mind through the tadpole, which causes interactions similar to those we gain from interacting with other people with a tadpole - but this is far from definite proof, imo. All in all, everything regarding the tadpole seems to afflict Gale differently than anybody else that we know of. From the initial interaction to the power-level decrease.

And finally, regarding Gale not being in the "good" alignment spectrum, hit YouTube and check what happens if you do not feed Gale with artifacts. All that talk about not wanting to put people at risk for his own sake? Yaaaah, about that... Whatever he did was NOT very good-natured. Whenever he is a selfish prick is not up for debate, in my opinion, any longer - he is most certainly a selfish and greedy type. And that, on top of everything else, makes me believe he most certainly might be sinister or directly evil on top of that.

All this said, I think Gale is an EXTREMELY interesting character, as he is far from obvious. I will definitely bring him along for at least one playthrough just to see his character development and his story. So far, he might be the most interesting companion in our party - however, I'll say that I am more than pleasantly surprised by the work Larian has put into our current companions. Can't wait to see the final work!

Last edited by Dez; 28/03/21 08:45 AM. Reason: Correcting some stuff

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
veteran
veteran
Here are my thoughts on Gale. I haven't done the romance (can't get the weave scene) and haven't read any datamined info on him.

Gale approves of good actions and so is easy to gain approval with when playing a good character and comes across as a generally good guy. It is a bit annoying that he takes your good loot and that the first thing he suggests is taking the druids' idol. Wizards are one of my favorite classes, and I like his mirror image scene. I will have to wait and see when all companions are released, but he will likely be one of the companions I use a lot on the team.

#2 sounds quite bad, so I can see why some would call him a scumbag as far as romance goes.

Overall so far it sounds like he might be a good friend but terrible boyfriend.

Last edited by Icelyn; 28/03/21 03:11 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Overall so far it sounds like he might be a good friend but terrible boyfriend.

Yeah. I can't believe I'm looking at the chaotic evil vampire with serious trust and trauma issues as better boyfriend material than Gale (or Wyll), but there it is. This game, man. grin

A
addict
addict
A
I'd say Gale's arrogance does come off as a narcissistic trait. It's not just words in his case, he backs this arrogance with his actions. Gale seems to really believe he is that intelligent, which is why
he tries to convince the PC to make the deal with Raphael; because he believes himself clever enough to outsmart the cambion. And he is willing to make this deal on his own, even behind the PCs back.

He isn't even hesitant about this. And this is something I'd expect an evil wizard to view as an easy solution to his problems.

Last edited by ash elemental; 28/03/21 03:35 PM.
D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D

Ahh, I see now. Yeah, those certainly come off as problematic. If I may,
I don't think your second point is a major reveal of sorts if you notice the signs. He does signal several times, though not directly, that he does have lingering feelings for Mystra. Conjuring her image so that he may look upon her, the very specific sensory images as your channel the weave together ("smell of rose water", "a kind word and kind touch at the same time", "a sliver of weave that tastes sweet on the tongue", "the unmistakable presence of Mystra, Lady of Mysteries", etc.), the remorse and pain he felt when he finally opened up about how Mystra abandoned him when you see him fail a once trivial spell, and a couple of other signals. Gale himself very much questions his affections for Mystra, acknowledging her as being his muse but not a goddess of love. Anyway, I'll link the video I referenced earlier here, as I think it makes for interesting commentary and perspective while going into far more depth than I ever could here. Hopefully you find it enjoyable to some degree.

old hand
old hand
Oh, there are definitely hints about it in earlier conversations, but:

Gale's love of magic and his love for Mystra are deliberately muddled in said conversations. It's understandable, the two things are probably very muddled for him, too, especially since she is magic and all. But the result is that it's not at all obvious he's in love with her as opposed to a general wizardly obsession with sparkly magic stuff (note that if you play a wizard, the PC doesn't notice anything odd or different about the sensations during the Weave scene, it's all exactly as they've experienced it before).

Also, the number of people in the Realms who have actually romanced a god is... small, to say the least. As a result, the leap from "this wizard totes adorbs magic" to "this wizard was banging Mystra" is a pretty big one; few people are going to make it.

He does say that he's not sure whether he still loves her, but he's obviously still hung up about it and conjuring her image and stuff. And saying, "I won't know until I see her again" is not very helpful. He might never see her again - where does that leave his relationship with the PC? And if she happens to pop up again tomorrow, is he gonna go, "Oh, I guess I'm still in love with her, see ya!" and hang the PC out to dry?

No thanks, Gale.

D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Dez
So, regarding that Gale might not just be a bit more of a douchebag, but might actually be directly sinister / evil (Major spoilers ahead, do not read if you don't want to know potentially data-mined information):

I am not able to retrieve the entire discussion, since it was so long ago that the forum seems to have put them in the archive (or trashed it completely) - so bear with me as I am trying to recall the most important parts with my extremely non-viable memory. If someone sees anything faulty in my text, please do not hesitate to correct me. I am trying my best to verify the information externally, but I am going mostly on memory here.

Basically, the discussion summed up the fact that there is definitely beyond a doubt at least something EXTREMELY fishy about Gale. Why? The most obvious reason is the fact that Gale is the only person that we do not directly link ourselves with through the tadpole. He says he has one, but unlike all other companions (and other affected parts) - we do not actually touch his memory, as we do with *ALL* other tadpole'd people. This alone is *extremely* suspicious.

Other than that we have the fact that his former lover is not just a demon (looking at you, Wyll) - but an actual *GODDESS*, and not just *A* goddess, but a *GREATER DEITY* (according to the Forgotten Realms wiki). This is absurdly huge, assuming Gale isn't straight up lying to our face. If Gale truly was Mystras lover, then he should be not just on par with her chosen (who are insanely powerful, as expected by a greater deity's chosen) - but he would actually have to be *EVEN* greater. And this begs the question - what in the Prime Material plane did Gale do to lose her favor? Mystra is Lawful neutral, according to the wiki. Her chosen holds any kind of alignment from Lawful Evil to Chaotic Good (also accorind to the FR wiki), so Mystra does not seem to be picky about the morals of her followers. What could Gale possibly have done to displease her so severely?

So, we have this absurdly powerful wizard in our party who is as weak as us "regular" heroes. We do know that we're supposed to be "zapped" of our strength due to the tadpole, but Gale would be in an entirely different league of having his power zapped, compared to the rest of us. And while it is very obvious that he actually has been stripped off a great deal of power (hence his level and available spells) - we cannot even properly confirm that he has a tadpole. We do have some ways of accessing his mind through the tadpole, which causes interactions similar to those we gain from interacting with other people with a tadpole - but this is far from definite proof, imo. All in all, everything regarding the tadpole seems to afflict Gale differently than anybody else that we know of. From the initial interaction to the power-level decrease.

And finally, regarding Gale not being in the "good" alignment spectrum, hit YouTube and check what happens if you do not feed Gale with artifacts. All that talk about not wanting to put people at risk for his own sake? Yaaaah, about that... Whatever he did was NOT very good-natured. Whenever he is a selfish prick is not up for debate, in my opinion, any longer - he is most certainly a selfish and greedy type. And that, on top of everything else, makes me believe he most certainly might be sinister or directly evil on top of that.

All this said, I think Gale is an EXTREMELY interesting character, as he is far from obvious. I will definitely bring him along for at least one playthrough just to see his character development and his story. So far, he might be the most interesting companion in our party - however, I'll say that I am more than pleasantly surprised by the work Larian has put into our current companions. Can't wait to see the final work!

The thing is, he does tell us what he did to end up where he is now:
Gale pulled a very dangerous, volatile piece of primal weave back into the Prime Material plane. If you recall Gale's retelling of Karsus' Folly, you can see the parallels. Karsus tried to usurp Mystrl, goddess of magic during the reign of the Netherese Empire. He crafted a spell that would allow him to exchange places with Mystrl and in his attempt, caused the Weave to unravel and magic along with it. Mystrl sacrificed herself in order to save the Weave, but the damage was already done. The Netherese Empire, that which remained in the Prime Material plane, came, quite literally, crashing down. It was the use of such magic that endangered not only Mystrl but the magic as a whole, bringing about destruction likely not seen in eons. When Mystrl was reborn as Mystra, she rewove the Weave so magic on that scale could never be cast ever again. Gale, struck by his infatuation with Mystra when she wouldn't visit him anymore, tried to tame a piece of the very same magic that escaped Mystra's influence by being in the Astral Plane. Gale tried to wield magic that Karsus did, which, as you could imagine, would be very alarming to the goddess of magic given what happened all those millennia ago. Mystra, by abandoning Gale, sought to nullify this loophole by taking away Gale's ability to cast magic like he once could. Gale, in my mind, is right to call his actions "Gale's Folly", recognizing the parallels between himself and Karsus (I do recommend reading about Karsus' Folly on the FR Wiki. It's a good read imho). Chosen or not, if they seek to damage the Weave or herself, Mystra will not hesitate to cut them off. I don't think Gale is evil by any stretch. In his youth, he wrongly assumed that a greater deity truly loved him and when he learned the truth, he (in his youth) could not accept that and did something immensely stupid, causing Mystra to abandon him entirely and effectively giving himself a death sentence.

And to quibble about the artifacts: you need only give him two artifacts and he will feel like the orb is satiated for now. If you think about his situation and, if your life and the lives of others were threatened by the actions (or lack thereof) of another, your back is against the wall, what would you do? You do something desperate in order to prevent something worse from happening, even if that means dealing with a devil. I would question whether or not we are the evil ones for driving Gale to such an end if that is to occur. That isn't evil, he is desperate. If you go the evil route and slaughter everyone in the Druid grove, Gale will feel sick and vile for committing such actions and will leave unless you convince him otherwise. If he were evil, then he might be upset for causing unnecessary bloodshed or sticking our noses in matters but he isn't. He is livid at himself for following you and furious at you.

old hand
old hand
Hmmm.

Is selling your soul to a devil to save your life an evil act, or a neutral one? I'm not sure where FR lore stands on that. And this game might have its own spin on the matter.

Assuming that's even the deal Gale made. He may've worked out something different.

D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Hmmm.

Is selling your soul to a devil to save your life an evil act, or a neutral one? I'm not sure where FR lore stands on that. And this game might have its own spin on the matter.

Assuming that's even the deal Gale made. He may've worked out something different.

Right, though anything about what kind of deal he made with Raphael is largely conjecture. Though Gale hinted at Raphael's desperation and possibly being able to manipulate him, details about the deal are scant at best. It'd be interesting if Raphael wanted the tadpole rather than Gale's soul, but I can hardly grasp at what that would imply.

Last edited by DiscountCanadian; 28/03/21 05:26 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
So about them spoils:

The weave is a large piece of divine essence of mostly Selune with a smaller piece of shar. That is the origin of the goddess of magic. Shar of course knew this and eventually made her own weave known as shadow weave. Karsus is currently a rock and can even be a patron. It is possible that Gale is like a piece of Karsus but highly unlikely. The Goddess of magic has been known to go as far as protecting dracolich's as long as they make new magic. If what Gale says is the truth, highly unlikely the whole truth, Mystra rejected him for something more serious. If it was regular magic, Mystra could just cut it off or kill him. It's unlikely Gale outsmarted Mystra's way to stop mortals from using high magic. My guess is that what he has does not come from her but someone else. Possibly Shar, but it could be from anything divine or stronger. I also suspect that the tadpole nerfed his levels rather than Mystra so something does not add up.

Their is also a long list of mysteries including the following: why it needs to be maintained with weave in the first place, how did he seal it in his body, why necro damage, where did he find it if he has never been to the astral(party banter with laezel), why can't an Elf wizard just instantly know since elves see the weave differently, why isn't Gale being hunted by Mystra if she already knows what it is.

If Larian sticks with lore, Gale is quite the deceiver and not good at all. Approval from him could be him liking being put in a favorable position to manipulate.

Unlikely theory 64: ethereal version of shadow magic. I doubt Larian would allow the border ethereal or deep ethereal though. The void planes are more likely with all the tentacles Larian could want. Lol

Unlikely theory 65: Mystra is just sluuty and she got bored.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I can’t box gale in.

In my first play through he left my party because I refused to give him powerful magical artifacts without him fully detailing his scary and ominous situation. Our party is a team and we need communicatinn on. He got angry and left,

In my current play through he’s a lot more tender, but still secretive st first.

My point is I do think he has some very selfish tendencies, in line with narcissism. But he does open up which real narcissists never do unless they are in a crisis.

In a nutshell, I appreciate that gale eventually opens up about the truth but I think his demands for your blind trust in a party sdettijg make him very self centered. He’s a great character but romantically I could never be into him, and in real life I’d not align with him in a life or death journey to save ourselves.

D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Shlamorel
I can’t box gale in.

In my first playthrough, he left my party because I refused to give him powerful magical artifacts without him fully detailing his scary and ominous situation. Our party is a team and we need communication. He got angry and left,

In my current playthrough, he’s a lot more tender but still secretive at first.

My point is I do think he has some very selfish tendencies, in line with narcissism. But he does open up which real narcissists never do unless they are in a crisis.

In a nutshell, I appreciate that gale eventually opens up about the truth but I think his demands for your blind trust in a party setting make him very self-centered. He’s a great character but romantically I could never be into him, and in real life, I’d not align with him in a life or death journey to save ourselves.

Just to poke at little, could this not be considered a crisis?
He is, after all, under constant threat of losing control over the Netherese orb and leveling a city-sized area on the Sword Coast while ALSO dealing with a tadpole that could, at any time, spontaneously change him into a Mind Flayer. Personally speaking, I think that very much defines a crisis.

I don't think he is a narcissist because he is able to handle criticism (he criticizes himself a fair bit) and will admit when he has felt he's done something wrong. Honest reflection and self-critique aren't things you find in narcissists. Now, do his actions foretell something sinister? Hard to say, though I will give him the benefit of doubt. He is guarded and we aren't able to ascertain much of his motivations, that much is certain. That said, I don't believe that is enough to deem him a sinister figure just yet, but I will agree that it would be best to be wary. He is a bit of an unknown factor, which could be good or bad, but lack of clarity/understanding tends to provoke the worst fears in people, whether it is deserved or not.

Last edited by DiscountCanadian; 30/03/21 04:51 PM.
A
addict
addict
A
I've been suspicious of Gale ever since the first playthrough & the first dialogue with Shadowheart. Complimenting a priestess of Shar that she has shadows for eyes? And Shadowheart's response? This was the part that made me go 'Hmmm...' laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard