Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
For me, the greatest problem of 5e, is the low lethality. Monsters has way more HP than in previous editions and spells and other things deals way less damage and has way less nasty abilities. For eg, Succubus on 1e had 5% chance of summoning a demon lord, casters had a d4 and the CON mod was rare to obtain while rolling stats. Not to mention that at lv 9, they stop gaining hit dices and gain just +1 hp per level.

5e has the second lowest lethality of TT RPG's, losing only to 4e, where a mere Orc can soak literally dozens of Cannon shots and walk as if is nothing. Meanwhile, 2e has one of the highest lethality, losing only to very simulationist games such as GURPS and some retroclones which tries to be more deadly than old school D&D like Lamentations of the Flame Princess. Where a single summon monster 1 going in the worst way possible can cause a party wipe in a single round.

And Larian, not only picked a game with very low lethality, where CR 2 monsters can soak siege weapons shots but also decided to lower their AC and buff their HP making the combat a tedium. Why not maximize the damage from both parties as a optional mode. "but is less balanced" -> I don't care, I wanna a higher lethality and I hate. Even maximizing the damage on both parties, Even maximizing the damage from both sides, the game still gonna be very low lethality for my taste.

X
journeyman
journeyman
X
From my understanding, they are going to offer different difficulty modes, like they did in DOS1 and 2, but they aren't going to offer them during EA.

Last edited by xnihil0zer0; 30/03/21 06:12 AM.
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Victor's whining always makes my day.

old hand
old hand
As an option I see no harm in it, the more options the better. Allow people to tailor their game session, like with the tabletop.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Zer0
Victor's whining always makes my day.

Asking for a optional feature = whining.

Nice logic

Originally Posted by CJMPinger
As an option I see no harm in it, the more options the better. Allow people to tailor their game session, like with the tabletop.

Yep. If someone wanna the original "everyone can soak dozens of javelins in the face" low lethality, they can just not use the option. 5e lacks lethality.

veteran
veteran
Enemies deal good damage already and weaker enemies often come in large numbers, e.g. goblins.
This game has rather low lethality because:
- When you get zero HP you have to fail 3 saving throws before you die.
- Help action, throwing food/potion or healing word spell bring you back to action.
- Food restores HP ( but there would be enough potions, even if food did not heal)

The game will definitively have several difficulty options when it gets released.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Enemies deal good damage already and weaker enemies often come in large numbers, e.g. goblins.
This game has rather low lethality because:
- When you get zero HP you have to fail 3 saving throws before you die.
- Help action, throwing food/potion or healing word spell bring you back to action.
- Food restores HP ( but there would be enough potions, even if food did not heal)

The game will definitively have several difficulty options when it gets released.

I disagree. CR 2 creatures on 5e can soak cannon shots. And this would be optional. I don't wanna fireballs unable to kill goblins...

Link Copied to Clipboard