Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dez #769778 15/04/21 06:49 PM
veteran
veteran
Sorry, my intention was not to show that oathbreaker is not evil.

Let me put it that way:
Depending on your oath, you can break your oath by doing something good which means you can become an evil class by doing something good.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Sorry, my intention was not to show that oathbreaker is not evil.

Let me put it that way:
Depending on your oath, you can break your oath by doing something good which means you can become an evil class by doing something good.

Funny thing to note: mid to low level deities can see you if you say their name. Praying is even better. Apparently divine multitasking is quite potent as well. Depending on how strong the deity is, it can be quite the distance around your location. Many spells and other deities can block this particular sight. Greater deities have this and more on a higher scale. Clever thing deities could do is send a follower to a place they can't see for vision through them.

Technically you could harrass a good deity into helping you in such a situation as an Oath Breaker that you suggested by praying. The choices would be to divinely block your number, smite the day lights out of you, or take pity and help you while starting a Godly Mafia war with the evil deity you dumped(more common than you'd think). You'd be under the new gods protection assuming you lucked out with the last option.

Roughly 33 percent chance of success with mid and lower level deities. Greater deities would probably kill you unless you bargain. Over deities would wipe out your existence if you even register as much. Lol

Last edited by Aishaddai; 15/04/21 10:57 PM.
Dez #769842 15/04/21 11:07 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Aishaddai
Homebrew RP aside, you guys realize that Oath breakers are evil right? Like the abilities? Necro themed, undead control, buffs to fiends and undead monsters. Generally evil abilities.

Not sure how your roleplaying that class as good. You literally can't keep your original subclass class if you turn traitor.

I think some people confuse themselves because they go deep into breaking the rules with homebrew. Its not really a problem per say I guess. I'm use to learning the rules first and save homebrew for when I get in an experimental mood.

In fact, there is a fairly high probability that Larian / WotC wants to move away from it. From what I remember there is a book in the game about some not evil oathbreaker.

Dez Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Madscientist
First of all, I really like that paladins in 5E do not need to be lawful good anymore.
I am sure there are gods ( or other powerful creatures) who are not LG but they still want somebody to fight for them. Not a typical cleric but a warrior with divine powers.

I really liked the paladin concept of PoE and I am happy I can do something similar in DnD now.

I would like to play a paladin of vengeance.
Some cultists burned your house, all your family died, only you survived with massive scars. You swear to avenge them. Some things he would say:
* All criminals must be purged by steel and fire.
* I am here to deliver punishment. If you seek mercy you should ask your god. No worry, you will meet him soon.
* You have burned my family so you must burn as well. But I am not a monster such as you. If you ask nicely, I will beheading you before burning you.

Edit: I just realized that I become an oathbreaker if I manage to forgive them.
So an oathbreaker is not automatically evil.

Hmm, alright. Yes, I am indeed pleasantly surprised to see that paladins are not as strict as I thought. laugh Now I even dare creating one! (although, he is gonna be as stereotypical as ... As... Banana bread. Yes, very stereotypical. x] )

Homebrew RP aside, you guys realize that Oath breakers are evil right? Like the abilities? Necro themed, undead control, buffs to fiends and undead monsters. Generally evil abilities.

Not sure how your roleplaying that class as good. You literally can't keep your original subclass class if you turn traitor.

I think some people confuse themselves because they go deep into breaking the rules with homebrew. Its not really a problem per say I guess. I'm use to learning the rules first and save homebrew for when I get in an experimental mood.

I do see your point (I am however in no position to participate in the debate regarding what paladins are / aren't) - but I agree when you say that one should just try and stay true to the original rules until one actually understands them. It just makes sense to me, however I will not say that anyone shouldn't do what they way - it is a RP world after all. :] But to me, staying to the stereotypes at first helps me build a proper understanding so that I later can go into more complex and compelling character writing laugh

Last edited by Dez; 16/04/21 01:06 AM.

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
Dez #769893 16/04/21 10:59 AM
stranger
stranger
Human Paladin, lawful good all the way! By the light be purged!

Dez #769904 16/04/21 01:16 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dez
I do see your point (I am however in no position to participate in the debate regarding what paladins are / aren't) - but I agree when you say that one should just try and stay true to the original rules until one actually understands them. It just makes sense to me, however I will not say that anyone shouldn't do what they way - it is a RP world after all. :] But to me, staying to the stereotypes at first helps me build a proper understanding so that I later can go into more complex and compelling character writing laugh

For the sake of fun, I'd honestly say do whatever you want. I like some homebrew. I wish Larian could use material outside of base 5e phb. I'm interested in "Grim Hollow" books and recently Unearthed arcana they have added expansions to dragonborn. Breath weapons that can be used with multi attack that scales off constitution and levels. Separated by three subclasses too. Chromatic can get temporary immunity to their element, Metallic get extra crowd control version of breath weapon, and most excitingly Gem get some kind of weird Gem oriented flight(Idk what it is but it sounds awesome).

I don't blame people for being interested in spicing things up for fun is what I'm trying to say. Do whats fun.

Its why I don't really participate in some of the more heated debates on the forums. Lol. I just wanted to answer your questions and talk about lore.

Dez Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Dez

For the sake of fun, I'd honestly say do whatever you want. I like some homebrew. I wish Larian could use material outside of base 5e phb. I'm interested in "Grim Hollow" books and recently Unearthed arcana they have added expansions to dragonborn. Breath weapons that can be used with multi attack that scales off constitution and levels. Separated by three subclasses too. Chromatic can get temporary immunity to their element, Metallic get extra crowd control version of breath weapon, and most excitingly Gem get some kind of weird Gem oriented flight(Idk what it is but it sounds awesome).

I don't blame people for being interested in spicing things up for fun is what I'm trying to say. Do whats fun.

Its why I don't really participate in some of the more heated debates on the forums. Lol. I just wanted to answer your questions and talk about lore.

And I very much appreciate your answer. laugh <3 I too hope to see some stuff added from the additional sources of DnD, like TCoE. I been so stuck for the Arcane Archer ever since I played it in PoE and now I also read some of the lore and playstyle of the Bladesinger and I would loooove to make a character in that category as well...

Too bad there is really just too much goodies of DnD, it'll take ages for everything to arrive to BG3 laugh Hope we all get what we're longing for, all in due time. <3

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
Dez #769925 16/04/21 04:57 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dez
Originally Posted by Dez

And I very much appreciate your answer. laugh <3 I too hope to see some stuff added from the additional sources of DnD, like TCoE. I been so stuck for the Arcane Archer ever since I played it in PoE and now I also read some of the lore and playstyle of the Bladesinger and I would loooove to make a character in that category as well...

Too bad there is really just too much goodies of DnD, it'll take ages for everything to arrive to BG3 laugh Hope we all get what we're longing for, all in due time. <3

I assume you know about the arcane archer fighter subclass from Xanathar's? They have some flavor that I wish eldritch knight had. I mean the cantrips like shadow blade, booming, and green flame is nice and all but arcane shot has more options for fun.

I'm not really much of an archer kind of guy. I'm more of a Goliath Rune Knight fighter kind of guy. "Nobody's killing a bigger dragon than me". Lol

I know how it feels to not have things you want in bg3. Those expansions really complete 5e. I hope, in vain, that Larian adds more at least over time.

Edit: Dragon's Dogma has the best magic archer I've ever played. I know Tales of Phantasia and Tales of the Abyss have magic archers. Though they are very old and might be hard to get a hold of. If you want a challenge then Smite may scratch that itch, but its online multiplayer and a moba.

Last edited by Aishaddai; 16/04/21 05:04 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard