Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Jess Offline OP
Larian Alumni
OP Offline
Larian Alumni
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hello everyone,

We’ve just rolled out a new hotfix for you!

This one goes out to all of you (and us) who have clearly angered the RNG Gods in a former life and been cursed to fail dice rolls at every turn.

We introduced loaded dice in Patch 4 to try to smooth out the extremes of the dice-rolling bell curve. Even with this change, we noticed in your feedback that the RNG wasn't feeling fun for you. We've seen the dice described as being harsh, cursed, rigged and someone said the RNG was downright evil. We want you to have the best experience possible when playing the game and so the changes in today’s hotfix are here to help with your hit chance, if you’re playing with loaded dice.

From now on, loaded dice will only bend RNG in the rolling character's favour. That means you will not be made to miss to make up for a lucky streak of hits. This change also applies to NPC's and enemies, so the effects on the relative challenge of combat should be minimal.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

As always, playing with loaded dice is an optional feature that can be toggled on and off in the gameplay settings.

Please keep posting your thoughts about the game on Steam, our Forums, Discord, Reddit, or submit your feedback to us by clicking the Feedback button in the game launcher, so we can monitor how these changes are affecting you.

And thank you for continuing to post your Wildshape screenshots. We love them very much.

Big thanks to @surelyanne for posting the most polite dinner party we’ve ever seen.

Again, thank you for your support during Early Access, we appreciate you being on this journey with us!

Changelist:

RNG:
  • Disable the failure RNG debt for combat rolls

Stability:
  • Fixed crash when examining a deactivated entity (like the Bulette disappearing).

Larian Launcher:
  • Added game pages for D:OS and D:OS2
  • Added a button for players to verify game files after a crash
  • Double clicking via LMB on the game selection section (Top left) no longer makes the launcher details disappear.
  • Update the bottom logo to add interactivity + make it clear it leads to larian.com
  • Selecting a game using RMB no longer causes the player to be stuck on one game
  • Added continue button so you can load your most recent save directly from the launcher

veteran
veteran
Great, now players that don't really want to learn about how to increase their %to hit won't complain anymore up

The road to remove the free advantages is open.
I hope those that want to enjoy all the tactical depth D&D has to offer are the next you'll try to pleased.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 15/04/21 03:30 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
OK but a 22.51GB download (on GOG) is NOT a hot fix.

I thought you had meant to fixed this issue, guess I'm giving up playing for now.

apprentice
apprentice
Ok, I downloaded the 111.8 MB patch today on Steam. It froze at the end and the download time increased to about 15 hours. I can download the entire game in about 2 hours, for reference. The patch gave me a disk write error while installing then froze my PC. Explorer locked up and crashed, so I just restarted. The game then became flagged as uninstalled in Steam and I had to manually delete it in order to reinstall it. I couldn't verify the files or anything like that.

addict
addict
For me personally, this makes game more boring, but I think some people will really enjoy it!

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
veteran
veteran
This change means that there is no longer an option for RNG with a uniform distribution in BG3*.

Unweighted BG3 dice rolls (mostly patch 3, some patch 4 data) were inconsistent with a uniform distribution at 95% confidence. The average of 508 rolls was 11.16 (2-sigma difference from the expected average of 10.5) and rolls came in streaks, where you were more likely to roll values similar to the previously rolled values. 10, 17, and 18 showed up statistically more frequent (1.5- to 4-sigma) than expectation. 1 and 6 showed up statistically less often (1.5- to 2-sigma) than expected.

The old (patch 4 data) "loaded die" actually fixed this problem and produced a uniform distribution of rolls! The average of 747 rolls was 10.7 (within 1-sigma of the expected average of 10.5) and the only number that appeared statistically more/less often than it should was 6 (underrepresented at 2-sigma).

After this hotfix, your options are to either use unweighted dice where there will be lots of streaks and an overabundance of 10 & 17 rolls, or use loaded dice which will still have streaks but only for values>10. *It is possible that Larian has fixed the unweighted rng in recent updates, but there's been no mention of doing so in the patch/hotfix notes.

Links to the data collected by Niara, Saberem, Adiktus, and DragonSnooz:

addict
addict
It think that this hyper-focus on the dice results might not be the absolute bestest of things, if it means not giving any thoughts to the bigger picture (and of course, it doesn't have to mean that).

On the one hand, yes, there is random number generation. Humans have an incorrect perception of randomness. Like most games, BG3 would rather provide dice results that feel right rather than dice results that are right. So I understand the search for that sweet spot.

On the other hand, there is also game design.

As far as combat is concerned, hit chance (and how to improve it) is a core part of 5E. If you don't want the players of your BG3 campaign to miss as much as the TT players, perhaps this can be done by simply changing the rules, rather than changing the dice ?

As far as cutscene Ability Checks are concerned, enjoying better rolls will make some scenes like Brother Edowin's Tadpole statistically less frustrating, but not fundamentally better.

So, here's to hoping that future Patches will focus more on why some dice are rolled and how the results are used, rather the how the dice results are generated !

Last edited by Drath Malorn; 15/04/21 06:11 PM. Reason: typo
addict
addict
I'm sad that Larian didn't just add a third option for RNG. I really enjoyed the RNG with patch 4's initial "weighted dice".

The RNG with the original weighted dice was way less streaky than the default RNG. I liked it because it actually felt like I was rolling dice.

EDIT: Or at least have the prior weighted dice become the default RNG.

Last edited by DragonSnooz; 15/04/21 04:37 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
There is clearly something wrong with the update. It wrote 111mb to download but once it gets all the supposed data, it keeps on running and increasing the download time on steam. Something went wrong when you pushed it live.

veteran
veteran
More cutesy memes and a hotfix to take more D&D out of D&D.

When's the patch for grown-ups who want tactical D&D combat without cheesy exploits and furry animals due?

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
I find it quite frustrating that almost every hotfix or "addition" to the game is seemingly trying to remove more and more DnD 5e ruleset.

It would nice to get a real patch to make the game more dnd and less free hand outs to make the game easy mode.

On another note the patch on Steam is apparently going to take me over 3 days to patch 110mb. I thought this problem was fixed?

stranger
stranger
Regarding the addition of the other games in the launcher, will it be possible to see a menu dedicated to the game in the future? example in the original sin 2, when selected, changing the background screen and also showing the game logo? I really liked this update on the launcher.

When this game releases, Larian will have patched out all of what little of 5E they have tried to implement in the game, and we'll officially have Divinity Original Sin 3: Baldur's Gate.

No wonder Wizards started up their own in-house studios after seeing what Larian was doing with the license.

Jess Offline OP
Larian Alumni
OP Offline
Larian Alumni
Originally Posted by AnastielBR
Regarding the addition of the other games in the launcher, will it be possible to see a menu dedicated to the game in the future? example in the original sin 2, when selected, changing the background screen and also showing the game logo? I really liked this update on the launcher.

This has now been updated!

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Well this is bound to have everyone wanting to play the same little bit again just to enjoy the changes to the dice roll. What happened did one of the cleaners have a few moments to spare, what have the rest of you been doing for months.? This game needs a real update and soon this is ridiculous.

L
addict
addict
L
It’s hard for me to get excited about another band-aid fix. Loaded dice as a solution just defies the very point of a D&D-based game. Why even bother having dice? If you want to make life easier for folk, hand out a more generous proficiency bonus. Call it an extra perk for being a tadpole victim and of course make it optional (ie. an Easy Mode).

veteran
veteran
Any chance of instituting a bug tracker? It's sometimes hard to know when to report.

For example Patch 1 had a bug where the Hag thought everyone was human. Y'all fixed it in patch 2, now the Hag not has race specific insults. Patch 3 the Hag thinks everyone is a human again. I reported it, got told it was a known issue. But is it a known issue or a regression? A tracker would answer that question for me and make the life of the good human who responds to emails easier.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
It think that this hyper-focus on the dice results might not be the absolute bestest of things, if it means not giving any thoughts to the bigger picture (and of course, it doesn't have to mean that).

Agreed. It leaves me with a cynical feeling.

I've heard about 4 people talking about dice since the last patch and literally everyone else on the forum has signed onto the "fix the movement mechanic" * and yet the thing the devs "noticed in your feedback . . ." is dice. Again.

When devs can't hear a fire alarm but manage to pick up on whispered conversations, one starts to think that there's something wrong with their ears.

* Okay, fine, there are about 3 dissenters who like the movement mechanism. Masochism is suspected.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thank you, Jess ! Let's test this puppy out. laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kerro
What happened did one of the cleaners have a few moments to spare, what have the rest of you been doing for months.? This game needs a real update and soon this is ridiculous.

Patience is a virtue. Just because they released a small HOTFIX does not mean they have stopped working on the actual game. We are seeing maybe 1/3rd to 1/4th of what the game has in store for us, which means there is A LOT of work going on behind the scenes at all their various studios around the world. There are programmers, artists, designers, writers, mathemagicians, etc all working on this, and Larian don't owe us big patches every week.

Last edited by Alexandrite; 15/04/21 11:20 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard