Print Thread
#769916 16/04/21 03:16 PM
J
JJRX5 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
I am curious on whether or not Larian will create a high level expansion or elect for a whole new game to conclude this iteration of The Baldurs Gate saga. Also, has anyone heard anything from Larian regarding whether or not they want to continue DND games or will they go back to their DOS series?

JJRX5 #769918 16/04/21 03:23 PM
old hand
old hand
From what I recall they haven't given a definitive answer on either topics, as such. They've said they focus on getting BG3 done now before even considering the idea of expansions or dungeon master modes and such things. In terms on DND I don't think they've said anything about what they want to do in the future, but I am sure they wont just abandon their DOS universe?

JJRX5 #769931 16/04/21 05:22 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
They've already made fat stacks just off the early release of this game. One way or another you can be pretty sure they won't just end it here if it's profitable, which it appears to be.

JJRX5 #769938 16/04/21 06:57 PM
J
JJRX5 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
How are BG3 sales in comparison to DOS? I never played any other Larian game, and I haven’t been able to find any stats. I doubt Larian is going to abandon its own IP, but I am guessing it is going to have to make a decision as to whether or not it continues making its own IP of using wotc. They don’t seem to be the type of studio to work on multiple projects simultaneously. I just hope we keep getting quality DND games. It doesn’t need to be from Larian, but there was a long drought where we had virtually no games from wotc.

JJRX5 #769983 17/04/21 02:46 AM
veteran
Online Content
veteran
It's easy to assume it could eventually happen, but there's also the fact that Larian never released an expansion for any of their past titles so far.
That aside, at this point in time and with all the work left to do on the base game, I'm not sure if even they could answer the question with any degree of confidence.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
JJRX5 #770283 19/04/21 04:15 AM
journeyman
journeyman
I expect they already have teams working on at least 2 expansions up to lvl 20, probably to be released summer and then Christmas of 2022. The development they've put into this and the money they've raked in just off the early access...probably means early access for BG4 2023.

Last edited by macadami; 19/04/21 04:16 AM.
JJRX5 #770284 19/04/21 04:23 AM
Assuming they get the rights to BG4.

Tuco #770290 19/04/21 07:06 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Tuco
It's easy to assume it could eventually happen, but there's also the fact that Larian never released an expansion for any of their past titles so far.

Yeah. The closest they've come to an "expansion" is Flames of Vengeance, but strictly speaking it wasn't an add-on but the final chapter of Divinity 2, the publisher having forced them to release the game without it (and I recall it caused a great deal of confusion at the time because of the "...?!" nature of the apparent ending). It's more their style to release a revamped version of the game as a freebie, something they've done with Divinity 2 and the Original Sins and any extra content tends to get rolled into that.

Obviously it's not necessarily the case that just because they've done it that way, they'll always continue to do the same, but I'd expect some sort of announcement if DLC became something they were seriously considering.

J'aime le fromage.
Tuco #770301 19/04/21 09:09 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
That aside, at this point in time and with all the work left to do on the base game, I'm not sure if even they could answer the question with any degree of confidence.
On the other hand, there is question if any of ther "past titles so far" was so big franchise as Baldur's Gate. O_o
Know what i mean right? The options for DLC's is almost limitless in this case.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
macadami #770307 19/04/21 11:04 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
On the other hand, there is question if any of ther "past titles so far" was so big franchise as Baldur's Gate. O_o
Know what i mean right? The options for DLC's is almost limitless in this case.
And they weren't for D:OS2? D:OS2 sold really well and was a critical darling. From what I can find, at the moment Baldur's Gate3 is being developed for PC&MAC, just like D:OS1&2 were. That means, that after the game is complete devs will most likely focus on porting it to PS5/XBOX, maybe once again using this time to improve base game as well. If I remember well, there is also stuff they want to do, that won't be available on launch (campaign editor). Those are not small undertaking.

Originally Posted by macadami
I expect they already have teams working on at least 2 expansions up to lvl 20, probably to be released summer and then Christmas of 2022. The development they've put into this and the money they've raked in just off the early access...probably means early access for BG4 2023.
Creating another 10 levels in, and necessary monster roster would be a massive undertaking. It sounds like a full sequel (Like BG2) not a DLC or expansion. Another question is if BG3 will be continuable, in the way Bioware games were - as they were designed to be more then one game from a get go. With how similar Larian appriach to BG3 is, I assume they treat it the same way as D:OS2 - it's a standalone, self contained adventure, with some ties to the previous titles. There is nothing I can see in protagonist of BG3 that would indicate to me, he/she can have their own series of games.

JJRX5 #770309 19/04/21 11:15 AM
N
old hand
old hand
N
Dude, they haven't even finished to code the final act of the game. Give them some time. The devs might want to take some holidays after such a big project smile

Last edited by Nyanko; 19/04/21 11:16 AM.
Wormerine #770323 19/04/21 01:50 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
And they weren't for D:OS2?
Dunno ... i dint play neither of them, and i dont know their franchise.
But i quite honestly kinda presumed its some entirely new "world" that was just created by Larian ... and if so, then compared to Baldur's Gate (resp. DnD), wich have decades of Lore allready prepared? Sorry, but no, not even close. laugh

Originally Posted by Wormerine
D:OS2 sold really well and was a critical darling. From what I can find, at the moment Baldur's Gate3 is being developed for PC&MAC, just like D:OS1&2 were. That means, that after the game is complete devs will most likely focus on porting it to PS5/XBOX, maybe once again using this time to improve base game as well. If I remember well, there is also stuff they want to do, that won't be available on launch (campaign editor). Those are not small undertaking.
Oh i see we dont understanded each other ... i presume we shall now. smile

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
JJRX5 #770352 19/04/21 05:20 PM
J
JJRX5 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
Larian’s business model is of course their prerogative, but I would happily pay for additional DLC. I don’t care if it is flavor DLC, such as an item pack, or a whole new adventure. I have not had a decent DND game to play since NWN2, so I am going to squeeze whatever juice I can out of this one. I just really hope we don’t get a CyberPunk ending where nothing you did during the game really matters and the prospects for a follow on adventure are low. Larian, just embrace the dark side of the force and make DLC! If you want to be gentle overlords then just do like Creative Assembly has been doing with the War Hammer series and give us a mix of pay and free DLC.

JJRX5 #770379 19/04/21 08:12 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by JJRX5
I just really hope we don’t get a CyberPunk ending where nothing you did during the game really matters [...]

fwiw I'm fairly certain the "most likely" ending for CP77 is the wrong one: most of the epilogues make no sense and are exactly the same as the equivalent "bad ending". But I'm splitting hairs, bad endings which feel fatalistic and/or leave more questions than answers leave a bit of a sour taste.

J'aime le fromage.
JJRX5 #770380 19/04/21 08:43 PM
old hand
old hand
Did I miss full release? It's possible, I suppose, I've been rather busy, but nothing in my launcher indicates that we're out of EA yet. Since we're not out of EA yet, and that means that there's a lot left to make for the full release, it's a bit early to start talking about expansions.

Originally Posted by robertthebard
Did I miss full release? It's possible, I suppose, I've been rather busy, but nothing in my launcher indicates that we're out of EA yet. Since we're not out of EA yet, and that means that there's a lot left to make for the full release, it's a bit early to start talking about expansions.
'nough said, bitches.

JJRX5 #804966 05/01/22 03:42 AM
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Expansions sounds so boring. Start selling Fantasy Characters like Starship Citizen sells spaceships. You buy Character, they even send you a miniature to your home. Something like that. Extra Art. Bio Book.

If Larian keeps making CRPGs, Characters are going to always play big part in their business, imho. They could always do Final Fantasy, it had 4 Characters too.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 05/01/22 03:49 AM.
footface #804978 05/01/22 12:34 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by footface
Assuming they get the rights to BG4.

After checking out the Oculus I bought my grandson for Christmas, I'm hoping in 10 years or so BG4 will be in VR. That would be something to see. That is if I live that long.

Merlex #805029 06/01/22 05:40 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Merlex
After checking out the Oculus I bought my grandson for Christmas, I'm hoping in 10 years or so BG4 will be in VR. That would be something to see. That is if I live that long.
A short BG3 VR game would be great! 😊

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard