Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2020
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2020
I know it reached meme status in D:OS 2, but can you please just tone it down a bit. The background dialogue is so insanely repetitive... how many times can you hear the "I care about our lives, our future" speech before it gets boring?

Right now NPCs start talking about every 45 seconds. Maybe increase that to 2 minutes or even longer.

Joined: Sep 2017
G
member
Offline
member
G
Joined: Sep 2017
It reached meme status in DOS1 with the Cyseal vendors.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Savage North
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Savage North
I agree with the general feeling of these non-party NPC-to-NPC banter becoming quite repetitive, even though they are absolutely lovely in many cases.

I'm not sure increasing the interval between repeats is the only solution, though it surely would be one, so long as we don't have to wait too long for it to trigger the first time round. Perhaps another idea would be to modify the general behaviour : the banter could trigger a couple of times when the party comes close to the NPCs, then stop for as long as the party stays around, instead of looping forever.

Anyway, as often, I'm not as keen in discussing in-depth how Larian should do it as I am in reporting this as an area for improvement (and in the present case, an annoyance).


Hoping we'll be able to create great assumptions-free Custom Characters and be given great roleplay options.
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
S
addict
Offline
addict
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
Originally Posted by gaymer
It reached meme status in DOS1 with the Cyseal vendors.

That just means the repetitive background dialogue is on purpose. It's going to stay. It's working as intended.

It's getting hard for me to take Larian developers seriously. They seem to thrive on memes, Michael Bay and silliness and it trickles into their games.

Last edited by spectralhunter; 17/04/21 08:38 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
I CARE ABOUT OUR LIVES! OUR FUTURES!

Joined: Jan 2021
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jan 2021
I agree the background dialogues definitely need more time between the first time they are spoken and when they are repeated. They do really add to the immersion initially, but they detract from it when they repeat after such a short time. I don't mind them repeating if I'm hanging around an area for a long time, but it's distracting when it's as frequent as it is.

Joined: Mar 2021
member
Offline
member
Joined: Mar 2021
I think it should only play once for every time you enter ear shot. Some times I'm sitting in the inventory organizing my stuff, and some times that takes a good couple of minutes. The whole time I'm listening to goblins talk about the same nonsense over and over again. "Duh, ain't moanin if it's true!" It's infuriating.

Last edited by footface; 17/04/21 10:06 PM.
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
S
addict
Offline
addict
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: CA
Originally Posted by Ankou
I CARE ABOUT OUR LIVES! OUR FUTURES!

Maybe I can be a teacher, or a butcher.

A butcher?

I like the sight of blood.

(I might be off on certain parts)

It certainly doesn't help both these groups happen to be close to one of the only two early vendors in the game.

Joined: Jun 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Jun 2020
Indeed, putting inanely repeating dialogues that will repeat multiple times, exactly, in the most immersion-breaking way, right next to locations, such as vendors, where we are liable to stand for several minutes naturally, does seem to be a distinctly deliberate staple of this company's design philosophy.

Joined: Nov 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Nov 2020
More variety or longer intervals would be very very helpful imo.

Joined: Oct 2020
L
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
L
Joined: Oct 2020
Once. Per. Long. Rest.

Please.

Whilst there's no actual movement of time, outside of the... goblin attached events, which forces NPC's to new positions via story scripts, there is practically zero switching around. Sometimes I just want to go back to the Blacksmith or Druid vendor; browse, sort who's selling ... and not hear someone say the same line 4 times. I like playing with sound.

This is precisely why I would [NORMALLY] just flat out kill the patrolling NPC's in DOS2's Driftwood. People meme about it, but it's actually triggering.

Joined: Apr 2021
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Apr 2021
Keeping it together Bree?

I am alright, as long as I dont think about it too much.

You are saf-

*main character throw a god damn death fog barrel at them and start a fight with the whole town*

Totally worth it.

Joined: Jul 2014
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Naerytar
I know it reached meme status in D:OS 2, but can you please just tone it down a bit. The background dialogue is so insanely repetitive... how many times can you hear the "I care about our lives, our future" speech before it gets boring?

Right now NPCs start talking about every 45 seconds. Maybe increase that to 2 minutes or even longer.
I have honestly no idea why Larian struggles so much to come to term with this crap.
We aren't even talking about the need to make these banters "20% less frequent".
We are talking about the urgent need to make them an entire order of magnitude more sparse. Like, a TENTH of what's now. Even better if we could just hear a banter ONCE for every time we visit a given area (and offering a couple of variations for it would be icing the cake).

It becomes INCREDIBLY jarring if you have the unfortunate idea to start sorting your inventory or equipment around one of these chatty NPCs... And at some point you are basically forced to give up, close everything and move elsewhere out of sheer exasperation.

Last edited by Tuco; 27/04/21 08:37 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. You too can join the good fight HERE
Joined: Mar 2021
member
Offline
member
Joined: Mar 2021
Originally Posted by Tuco
I have honestly no idea why Larian struggles so much to come to term with this crap.
We aren't even talking about the need to make these banters "20% less frequent".
We are talking about the urgent need to make them an entire order of magnitude more sparse. Like, a TENTH of what's now. Even better if we could just hear a banter ONCE for every time we visit a given area (and offering a couple of variations for it would be icing the cake).

It becomes INCREDIBLY jarring if you have the unfortunate idea to start sorting your inventory or equipment around one of these chatty NPCs... And at some point you are basically forced to give up, close everything and move elsewhere out of sheer exasperation.

+infinity. I find myself frequently managing my equipment around these NPCs. If these guys would spout their line only once per encounter, that would solve a lot.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5